Author Topic: Why You Should Wear Leather  (Read 5895 times)

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
Why You Should Wear Leather
« on: July 31, 2016, 11:25:33 AM »
I'm sure some of you have already seen this, but it's a good demonstration of how good leather is for protection if you find yourself on the pavement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKLYrG7_oYk
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Why You Should Wear Leather
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 11:41:08 AM »
I wonder how the  synthetic stuff would hold up comparatively under the same test.

Offline stevet

• Gaggle Hero
  • What would Mr. Happy Puppet do?
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 12:01:24 PM »
I think he was enjoying that run!

That was some pretty fresh looking asphalt.  Sort of like racetrack conditions.  Pretty slow speed, too.  How would it look after being dragged down a chip sealed, frost heaved, potholed road here in Minnesota at 60mph?  And it was probably not your garden variety leather/construction specification like you find in most motorcycle shops.  And it was form-fitted.  I'd like to see him do the same test with a Chinese-made $200 leather motorcycle jacket with matching pants.  Make it interesting- chaps over Levis, not full leather pants!

Steve.
Steve T.
Twin Cities, MN
Sophia, '16 Moto Guzzi V7 II Stone
Feejer, '10 Yamaha FJR
"Il Viaggiatore", The Traveler. A.K.A. Via. 2017 FIAT 124 Spider Classica

"What we do during our working hours determines what we have; what we do during our leisure hours determines what we are."
-George Eastman.

Offline Johncolleary

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 12:03:51 PM »
it looks like an easy test you guys could perform yourselves!  :evil:
"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made." �Groucho Marx
2013 Stelvio NTX
2014 Triumph Tiger 800
2001 Suzuki DR400
2023 Kawasaki KLX300

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 12:03:51 PM »

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 12:10:40 PM »
He was just giving it that break-in look. Kinda like chicken strips.

Dean
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 12:11:31 PM »
Steve, I've crashed three times in my leather pants and jacket on the supermoto track.  Its surface is not very different from typical asphalt roads.  It's a tight track, and I wasn't going terribly fast, maybe 30-40 in the worst case.  A seam on the left arm of my jacket started to come open because the stitching got worn, and I had that repaired.  Other than that, there is nothing wrong with either one, other than some surface scuffing.

The jacket is a Joe Rocket, and is a general purpose riding jacket with armor in the shoulders and elbows.  The pants are AGV Sport (around $200), and made for track use.  They're perforated so they're amazingly cool in the summer, and can be zipped to the jacket.  In my experience, it would be very hard to beat the leather for abrasion resistance on whatever road surface you choose.  If it wore through on a rough road surface, I suspect other materials would have already worn through too.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 12:12:55 PM by Triple Jim »
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 12:42:34 PM »
I wonder how the  synthetic stuff would hold up comparatively under the same test.

FWIW, Dorcia and I slid about 50-60 feet on chip and seal in textile riding gear. My only injury was where a knuckle burned through some Elkskin Ropers. Naturally, the gear was trashed, but the armor stayed put. That's good enough for me, and I now wear gloves with hard knuckle protection.  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 12:45:35 PM »
...and I now wear gloves with hard knuckle protection.  :smiley:

Good point.  I do too, after one crash I had while wearing some nice leather gloves that have heavy padding at the knuckles.  Two years later, I still have a bump on a knuckle that got banged.

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2016, 01:41:29 PM »
FWIW, Dorcia and I slid about 50-60 feet on chip and seal in textile riding gear. My only injury was where a knuckle burned through some Elkskin Ropers. Naturally, the gear was trashed, but the armor stayed put. That's good enough for me, and I now wear gloves with hard knuckle protection.  :smiley:

Thanks Chuck , good to know, and glad you both came away ok. Maybe I'll think about retiring my cotton shorts and tee shirts for street riding. :shocked:

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2016, 02:28:32 PM »
Thanks Chuck , good to know, and glad you both came away ok. Maybe I'll think about retiring my cotton shorts and tee shirts for street riding. :shocked:

:smiley: One time I was hit on the leg by a blown semi tire. My lower leg went numb immediately, and my first thought was, "Ooh, I wish I was wearing some flip flops instead of these Sidi On Roads.."  :smiley: Fortunately, that has been my only encounter with a rubber gator.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2016, 02:38:21 PM »
I think he was enjoying that run!

That was some pretty fresh looking asphalt.  Sort of like racetrack conditions.  Pretty slow speed, too.  How would it look after being dragged down a chip sealed, frost heaved, potholed road here in Minnesota at 60mph?  And it was probably not your garden variety leather/construction specification like you find in most motorcycle shops.  And it was form-fitted.  I'd like to see him do the same test with a Chinese-made $200 leather motorcycle jacket with matching pants.  Make it interesting- chaps over Levis, not full leather pants!

Steve.

Is a Pakistan $200 motorcycle jacket and pants better? 
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2016, 04:30:19 PM »
 Back in Washington right after St Helens blew up,  I crashed low side at about 60 MPH when my wheels lost
traction on some unseen volcano dust in a right hander.   Other than bruises and contusions I survived in good condition thanks to my helmet ( which was totally destroyed) and a custom made heavy horse hide jacket I had bought the year before.  Both sleeves were shredded and had to be replaced.  Both gloves were shredded,
and the toes of my boots were ground down to the steel toes.  The back of the jacket was abraded but still servicable.  I had no broken bones, I was really tough when I was that age.
 Horse hide makes the toughest leather jackets of any I have found.  It can be very thick yet still be flexible.
  I think I paid 300 dollars for that jacket in 1979 and 100 to have new sleeves put on.  I never regretted the expense even though It was more than half a months pay back then.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline sbaker

• Gaggle Hero
  • Piaggio Stock Holder
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2016, 03:10:48 PM »
There is an age factor with leather...

There are two different kinds of stitching that is used... A monofilament nylon style and cotton... The Monofilament is stronger but under stress it tends to tear through the leather puncture (stitching hole) and the leather unzips exposing you underneath. Cotton, on the other hand, is just as strong and yet, does not tend to tear through the stitching hole. HOWEVER!!!! Cotton does loose it's strength over time. it "rots" and therefore after five or so years, it too will fail and open up the seams exposing your skin to the pavement. It is a trade off, but clearly newer cotton sewn leathers are the best protection.
Sam
Dallas, TX

AGATT

Hey Check out my CD www.cdbaby.com/bakersam

Current
Norge Wing: White Squadron
Ducati 900ss

Previous
Griso Wing: Yellow Squadron (shot down 3/11)
2008 Norge - Red... fastest of the 2V
1975 Convert + Sidecar - Fun
2004 California EV Touring

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2016, 11:11:40 PM »
Leather is good - but all the evidence I've seen says good textile is better. Both need armor underneath; the Euro spec stuff is best, but any is better than none.

Most textile is sewn with overlock stitching, which is not very susceptible to the zipper effect. A lot of modern textile gear is woven with Kevlar or other high-strength material to improve both impact and abrasion resistance. So far, there are no Kevlar Kows.  :wink:

In any case, it's more important to have the 'ATG' in ATTGATT (All The Gear) than what it is made of - road conditions and specific situations might show one or another type as better in that case, but they're all of them better than not wearing proper riding gear.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline v7john

• Gosling
    • The Racing Rhino
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2016, 04:22:23 AM »
These days any GOOD leather or textile gear is well made and won't come apart at the seams and it's a matter of personal preference and convenience for road riding. Good leathers have internal stitching then two rows of top stitching which will hold the garment together even if the top stitching fails. I've never heard of the "zipper effect" actually happening. Nylon bonded cotton is used for stitching which prevents any rotting.

I own both leather and textile stuff but prefer the leather (often with waterproofs) in our UK climate. In a hotter climate things would be different. From experience I would say that leather lasts longer and is more easily repaired. A damaged textile jacket pretty much has to be thrown away after a slide.

The important thing is to wear the stuff with good boots and gloves (voice of experience!).
1972 V7Sport. Owned by me since 1978.
1972 V7 700cc ex Vigili del Fuoco?
1954 BSA M33

Read my blog at www.racingrhino.wor dpress.com

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2016, 06:28:49 AM »
Leather is good - but all the evidence I've seen says good textile is better.

I'm very surprised at this statement. Might you point me in the direction of some evidence for my own education. Because if that's what you've found things have changed since I last researched it.

I seem to remember (and this could very well be out of date) that in the case of high quality MC specific leather vs. the same in textiles, that the textiles were generally suggesting they were as good or almost as good as the leather.

Was it Aerostich who used to give data based on a weighted drag test behind a pickup or something like that? And I feel like at least one of the major magazines has done that over the years.

Then again, looking at manufacturers like Klim makes me think that my data is old and that there is newer and better stuff out there.

All that said, though I like the visceral feel of leather, I abandoned it for riding back in the 90s when I discovered Aerostich and these days I really like mesh gear for summer. Though I still assume both are not quite as protective as leathers.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2016, 06:53:40 AM »
Tiberio's law of Motorcycle Gear: no one ever died from road rash, they just wish they were dead...
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Offline steffen

• Hatchling
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2016, 07:59:21 AM »
Leather is good - but all the evidence I've seen says good textile is better. Both need armor underneath; the Euro spec stuff is best, but any is better than none.

This german test says, that leather is better than textile - when you crash...

http://www.motorradonline.de/kombis/lederkombis-gegen-textilkombis-im-crashtest-motorradkombis-im-test/714426?seite=2

lucydad

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2016, 08:08:22 AM »
Too damn hot.  Either not ride or be in mesh in Houston this time of year.  Also put the big boots away:  roasting feet.

Leather comes back out sometime mid-October.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2016, 08:45:50 AM »
Tiberio's law of Motorcycle Gear: no one ever died from road rash, they just wish they were dead...

:grin: :grin: :thumb:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2016, 09:12:32 AM »

I know about this firsthand.  Nothing rips a pair of jeans and a t-shirt off ya like crashing at 60 mph..... and I still ride (sometimes) in jeans and a t-shirt.

Slow learner, I guess.

I love the cooler (and cold) weather when I can armor-up.

:bike-037:
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 09:13:40 AM by kballowe »

Offline donn

• Gaggle Hero
  • The thing is, I do want a pickle.
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2016, 09:56:19 AM »
I seem to remember (and this could very well be out of date) that in the case of high quality MC specific leather vs. the same in textiles, that the textiles were generally suggesting they were as good or almost as good as the leather.

I think Motoport had some test data they liked that showed better results with textile, but ... two points:
1.  different tests, different results
2.  there are good textiles and poor, there is good leather and poor.

I have a "cordura" jacket, the label says polyester, that was about as tough as denim (meaning, it's fragile.)  I have heavy nylon Motoport stuff that's really strong - only lightly pavement tested, but it held up great.  Leather's the same, I hear - leather deteriorates with age, including the stitching as mentioned above, and of course there are a lot of different quality cows.

My guess is that it's sort of foolish to sweat over which is better, leather or textile, when the situation is that complicated.  Wear what you like, but get the good stuff and take care of it, and wear armored pants, real motorcycle boots and hand protection.

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2016, 10:08:31 AM »
It was Aerostich who did a test with weighted fabric towed behind a vehicle.  I cannot find that info on their web site, it must be at least 15 years ago.  The key point is that all this is well and good....if you actually wear the gear.  Here in southern Virginia it's a challenge to gear up when it's 95F and 90% humidity (like it is right now!).  My leather jacket sits unused now.  It's time for a mesh jacket and Darien Light pants over shorts. 

FWIW, I just finished a 3 week trip out to California and wore a one piece Roadcrafter suit the whole time.  I was probably no hotter than my riding companions, as long as we were moving.  A leather suit such as on the video would have been out of the question because it would simply be too hot.  The Roadcrafter has large pockets in the thigh area.  You can drop a large cup of ice in each pocket and get at least an hour of delightfully cool riding even when it's blistering hot.  It looks like you peed in your pants but that's a small price to pay.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2016, 10:39:43 AM »
 All the land speed racing organizations specify only leather ...and  if two piece it must be zippered together.. And all zippers must be metal and sewn on, not fused or glued...Over certain speeds, about 175 MPH, must have a back protector... Not to say fabric isn't as good...But dressed in animals hides is so cool...

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2016, 12:10:51 PM »
Good leather is...well...good  :)

Good textiles are good.

There are poor examples of both.

FWIW, kevlar rots in direct sunlight.  Cotton as well.  Polyester and nylon don't care about sunlight.  Polyester thread is what I use for stitching my motorcycle seats (marine grade vinyl).

Many people have crashed in stich stuff with not much wear to show for it.  One of the IBA riders last IBR crashed on the freeway the day before the event started.  His stich suit had a pocket with a small tear.  You could see some marks on it only if you looked carefully.

OTOH, ask JB what he has been wearing when he crashed.  I liked his thread on the last one, leaving bloody sheets in the motel room  :)

Me?  I wear textile.  I gave away my last two leather jackets.  I know what I wear may only protect me from one slide, but, that's all I need it for.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2016, 02:12:50 PM »
  Meanwhile I still ride with no helmet, tennis shoes, tanktop, cargo shorts, no gloves.
 Oh, I do wear skivies and socks too.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2016, 02:31:39 PM »
Crash protection isn't the only reason to wear good gear.  I have a good set of leathers and a good set of textile.  I brought the textile on my trip because it's an either/or storage issue, and textile is the better heavy weather gear -- warm and waterproof.  I have to be prepared for all climates when I travel.  When I am making a shorter trip or on daily rides I prefer my leather, weather permitting.  It moves better.  The weight of good leather and good textile are about the same -- way heavy. 

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here