Author Topic: Bike Vapor  (Read 11693 times)

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
Bike Vapor
« on: November 15, 2016, 09:53:38 PM »
Well, in my quest to get away from cigarettes and on the advice of my doctor I have started vaping instead of smoking.  In defense of my doctor he only suggested that after I admitted the only way I could quit smoking was if he put me in a coma for a month. 
So far it is going great.  Ten days now without owning any tobacco for the first time in a decade.  Even with patches or gum or Chantex I always felt the need to keep a couple of emergency cigarettes but I don't feel that need with vaping.
For motorcycle content I can now get a nicotine fix at 80mph with gloves on.  ;)
Yes, I know I am still addicted, but I am missing out on the worst of the pollutants, I don't cough while laying in bed any more and I am starting to get my wind back.  Plus it is another tech toy to keep the geek in me happy. 
2008 Norge - Black Wing Squadron

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Bike Vapor
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 10:06:33 PM »
I've been using one for a year now to offset my quitting cigars.  Have gotten down to really low nicotine level.

The nice thing is that now when I "light up" in the car my wife doesn't choke on the fumes :)
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline SaskMick

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 03:20:31 AM »
I smoked for over 40 years. ( gave up countless times ) I've now been vaping for two years, I think it has saved my life.... The thing that surprised me is that now I can regulate the nicotine I have discovered that I don't need the nicotine, in fact I don't even  like it !.............  I just like sucking vanilla custard flavour steam with my vapor, it's my nipple substitute  :grin:

Offline twodogs

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 06:08:07 AM »
I've been on it for a little more than 2 month's, so far so good, this is the last resort to quitting, nothing else I tried ever made me think I could quit. I'm on the right path finally :bike-037:
2-2023 Yamaha TW200
2022 Triumph 850 sport

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 06:08:07 AM »

Offline brightonguzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 06:39:23 AM »
Three years for me.

Not sure I'd like to vape whilst riding - I'd be scared of dropping my (very expensive) kit.

Good on you all who have found the light!

Cheers
Le Mans V Special
Moto Guzzi Club GB member 2005

Online bmc5733946

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 09:13:24 AM »
I have a friend who has been vaping for a couple of years. He told me that vaping has serious risks not the least of which is something called "popcorn lung" . He is trying to quit vaping and finding it very hard. I quit smoking about ten years ago, cold turkey, glad that vaping wasn't an option for me then. I have a very addictive personality, I'm sure I would have been hooked. Good luck to all you quitters how ever you are trying.

Brian
1989 MILLE GT 
2004 BREVA 750     
1975  Convert

Offline SaskMick

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2016, 10:10:20 AM »
According to British studies vaping is 95% less harmful than smoking and I can well believe that.

I feel 100% better because of it. The car don't stink the house don't stink, I don't get out of breath, the old woman is happy, and it saves me a fortune. 

The tobacco companies hate it :)

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/28/health/e-cigarettes-vaping-quitting-smoking-royal-college-of-physicians.html?_r=0

Taking a stance sharply at odds with most American public health officials, a major British medical organization urged smokers to switch to electronic cigarettes....

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
Bike Vapor
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2016, 12:40:40 PM »
Good on you. I quit smoking march of 2014 when I broke my back. Started Vaping and tapered down 1mg every refill. Voila, since may 2015, no vape. Over 1.5 years since nicotine and I love it. You'll get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 12:41:05 PM by Luap McKeever »
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited

Offline SaskMick

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2016, 03:56:06 PM »
What is  point of giving up vaping ?     I love it, I don't want to give it up !

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2016, 04:02:53 PM »
What is  point of giving up vaping ?     I love it, I don't want to give it up !

All the fun drug addictions are like that - as long as your body and mind tolerate it, and it's worth the price to you, carry on.

I miss nicotine, used to smoke a pipe. I can't inhale, body won't put up with it, and I'm so sensitive that a couple of puffs and I'm buzzed on what soaks in through my mouth.

Nicotine is a good drug for focus and writing, but bad for my blood pressure, so there goes another fun one. But vaping can't be good for your lungs, even if it's better than smoking. We'll see, the long term study data should become available soon.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline SaskMick

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2016, 04:13:50 PM »
All the fun drug addictions are like that - as long as your body and mind tolerate it, and it's worth the price to you, carry on.

I miss nicotine, used to smoke a pipe. I can't inhale, body won't put up with it, and I'm so sensitive that a couple of puffs and I'm buzzed on what soaks in through my mouth.

Nicotine is a good drug for focus and writing, but bad for my blood pressure, so there goes another fun one. But vaping can't be good for your lungs, even if it's better than smoking. We'll see, the long term study data should become available soon.

I don't vape drugs, I vape vanilla custard, it's a flavor not a drug.

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2016, 04:19:05 PM »
He told me that vaping has serious risks not the least of which is something called "popcorn lung".

I hadn't heard that term, but I did some reading and remembered hearing about the toxic effect from breathing the fumes from microwave popcorn.  Now apparently it happens from flavored nicotine blends intended for vaping.  I guess I'll stick to putting air in my lungs, even though that's not always entirely safe.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline SaskMick

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2016, 04:28:32 PM »
I hadn't heard that term, but I did some reading and remembered hearing about the toxic effect from breathing the fumes from microwave popcorn.  Now apparently it happens from flavored nicotine blends intended for vaping.  I guess I'll stick to putting air in my lungs, even though that's not always entirely safe.

Why does EVERYONE suggest vaping consists of inhaling nicotine ?

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2016, 05:29:37 PM »
Vaping does not require nicotine, but *can* involve nicotine.  The juice I am using contains 12ml of nicotine (1.2%). 

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2016, 05:48:25 PM »
I don't vape drugs, I vape vanilla custard, it's a flavor not a drug.

I was not aware that people would vape for other reasons than drug delivery. I know there's both nicotine and cannabis vaporizing substances available - you mean ALL you are getting from this is a flavor and some glycerine carrier ?

Pardon me for being skeptical, but does the process make you happier, or feel better? Do you desire it if you have not done it for a while?

UPDATE: I reviewed your posts above, it sounds as though you went past the nicotine issues and are now just enjoying the vape itself? Well that's a good thing, and if you're getting the satisfaction of the smoking habit without the nicotine then your body is probably happier. I still miss a pipe now and again though...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 05:53:50 PM by normzone »
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2016, 05:53:46 PM »
  The thread title is Bike vapor.  Are you vaporizing your bike and sucking it into your lungs?
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2016, 06:10:37 PM »
Why does EVERYONE suggest vaping consists of inhaling nicotine ?

I never said it always does.  On the other hand, most people I know who do it are doing it to get doses of nicotine.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline SaskMick

• Gosling
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2016, 06:22:22 PM »
I was not aware that people would vape for other reasons than drug delivery. I know there's both nicotine and cannabis vaporizing substances available - you mean ALL you are getting from this is a flavor and some glycerine carrier ?

Pardon me for being skeptical, but does the process make you happier, or feel better? Do you desire it if you have not done it for a while?

UPDATE: I reviewed your posts above, it sounds as though you went past the nicotine issues and are now just enjoying the vape itself? Well that's a good thing, and if you're getting the satisfaction of the smoking habit without the nicotine then your body is probably happier. I still miss a pipe now and again though...

Yes I enjoy the vape, now that I have discovered the flavor I like.   I have not had to give up anything really.   I stopped coughing a long time ago.   I recently took a stress test and passed with flying colors. The doctor could hardly believe I smoked for 40+ years.

Not all vaping is the same, when atavar puffs on his vaping mod it must be like a bomb going off due to the size of his mouth piece. Mine gives me a concentrated jet of vapor with very little " smoke ".

See the difference...

I don't think I was ever really addicted to nicotine , I just thought I was.

You might like this....

« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 06:41:01 PM by SaskMick »

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2016, 06:29:44 PM »
"The tobacco companies hate it".

As I understamd Reynolds tobacco was or is in on the bapor products development and manufacture.

"Popcorn lung" ...I have heard emphysema descibed as such.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Offline SaskMick

• Gosling
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2016, 06:44:22 PM »
"The tobacco companies hate it".

As I understamd Reynolds tobacco was or is in on the bapor products development and manufacture.

"Popcorn lung" ...I have heard emphysema descibed as such.

The Chinese have the market more or less covered. I believe the Chinese pioneered it.

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2016, 08:50:12 PM »
I have different tips, but I find I like the big chuffing tip.  I have to suck too hard on the skinny ones..  lol

Not all vaping is the same, when atavar puffs on his vaping mod it must be like a bomb going off due to the size of his mouth piece. Mine gives me a concentrated jet of vapor with very little " smoke ".

Offline SaskMick

• Gosling
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2016, 10:10:15 PM »
I have different tips, but I find I like the big chuffing tip.  I have to suck too hard on the skinny ones..  lol

That's the nice thing about vaping, you can make it how it exactly how it suits you, beats cigs any day.   

PS, I like sucking hard, it's my nipple substitute.  I like nipples a lot, especially safe cracking.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 10:13:08 PM by SaskMick »

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2016, 10:18:55 PM »
Yes, there can be harmful side effects, especially from some of the 'flavors'.  Most are "approved" to be eaten, not sucked into the lungs.  Cinnamon was one that had some nasty effects.  Yes, breathing the 'smoked' vegetable oil may have some long term effects, but, from what I have seen is no where near as harmful as the tar in cig smoke.

Me?  I always smoked cigars and pipes, never sucked the stuff into my lungs.

If you haven't been addicted to anything it won't make sense to you.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2016, 11:00:13 PM »
The Chinese have the market more or less covered. I believe the Chinese pioneered it.

"Smoking of opium came on the heels of tobacco smoking and may have been encouraged by a brief ban on the smoking of tobacco by the Ming emperor. The prohibition ended in 1644 with the coming of the Qing dynasty, which encouraged smokers to mix in increasing amounts of opium"  Opium - Wikipedia.

Consider it, the return of a favor.  Opium use was maintained enforced on the Chinese people via the Opium War 1 & 2.  The revenue that the British Empire made was too much for them to give up. 

So they're making money off tobacco/smoking products.  Kind of ironic.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2016, 11:02:17 PM »
  The thread title is Bike vapor.  Are you vaporizing your bike and sucking it into your lungs?

No.  He's sucking off the mufflers.   :grin:   :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

If it helps you guys to get off tobacco smoking.   :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

oldbike54

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2016, 11:24:05 PM »
 Why do I have a mental image of John Cleese sticking one end of a straw in his nose , and the other end in a custard ? :shocked: :rolleyes: :laugh:

Dusty

Offline ScepticalScotty

• Gaggle Hero
  • Banjo pickin' bagpipe playin' fool
    • South East Massive
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2016, 01:23:39 AM »
Based on the distance I'll ride to find a good portugeuse custard tart, flan, or plain old vanilla custard tart, custard surely is a drug to me!  :grin:
Scotty

My country is the world, and my religion is to do good.
Thomas Paine

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2016, 12:18:43 PM »
Part of the addiction is the habit of doing something that's familiar.  That's why there's bubble gum in a tobacco pouch shredded or this stuff.  http://smokeymountainsnuff.com/ (disclaimer  SPAM alert)  I have no connection with them just putting this up as an alternative to smoking and chew.  There are  non tobacco snuff too.

Offline ScepticalScotty

• Gaggle Hero
  • Banjo pickin' bagpipe playin' fool
    • South East Massive
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2016, 12:51:15 PM »
To be fair the bad effects of smoking were noted hundreds of years ago....but ignored. Then in WW2 some doctors did a study of U-boat men and noted the lung cancer link...but obviously they were ignored. It to Dr Doll's study, painstakingly manually analysis and publishing I'm the BMJ before people really got a clue.
Scotty

My country is the world, and my religion is to do good.
Thomas Paine

Offline RANDM

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2016, 01:24:37 PM »
Might be worth me thinking about to help get over that edge.
How much does one of reasonable quality cost? And just what
Do you use with it?
Enquiring  minds and all that ..........

Maurie.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here