Author Topic: Best car choice under $10k for a Guzzi-head  (Read 16391 times)

twowings

Re: Best car choice under $10k for a Guzzi-head
« Reply #90 on: December 01, 2016, 09:21:05 PM »
The use of daughter is to make a point. How is the premise wrong? Would you rather be in a Miata or a Suburban in a collision?

What exactly is your point?

This can be argued endlessly....Suburb an vs. bus, bus vs. locomotive, locomotive vs. A-10 Warthog, Earth vs. asteroid...I'd rather my daughters were driving an incredibly well-balanced, superb driving machine if that's what made them happy OR a Suburban full of kids and dogs if THAT'S what they desired...because it's NOT my call...

Offline Steph

• Gaggle Hero
  • Cali Stone/ LM3
« Reply #91 on: December 02, 2016, 02:27:07 PM »
I would consider a clean low mileage Mazda RX8.

10 years ago, I had my Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 and was loaned an RX8 for a two weeks family holiday when I got back home in Ottawa. I remember that car as being 'special'. The way it steered, braked, the rotary engine, the suicide doors etc.  All balanced for a perfect experience! If it's an oddball Guzzi car your looking for,it's as special as it gets and for sporting pedigree, the little rotary Race car beat all the fancy Porsche, jaguar, Aston martins at The famous 24hr of LeMans. The only Japanese maker to ever do so.

An RX8 will more rewarding and probably cheaper in the long run then a Saab turbo too

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #92 on: December 02, 2016, 04:20:23 PM »

10 years ago, I had my Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 and was loaned an RX8 for a two weeks family holiday when I got back home in Ottawa. I remember that car as being 'special'. The way it steered, braked, the rotary engine, the suicide doors etc.  All balanced for a perfect experience! If it's an oddball Guzzi car your looking for,it's as special as it gets and for sporting pedigree, the little rotary Race car beat all the fancy Porsche, jaguar, Aston martins at The famous 24hr of LeMans. The only Japanese maker to ever do so.

An RX8 will more rewarding and probably cheaper in the long run then a Saab turbo too

There's one on a local "for sale" group with a blown engine at only 70k miles, for $1500. Not an uncommon occurrence according to my friend that works at the local Mazda dealer.

Mazda is tied with Renault for the number of times they've won Le Mans (once). Meanwhile Porsche has won 18 times.  :grin:
Charlie

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #93 on: December 02, 2016, 04:47:51 PM »

Law360, San Francisco (April 17, 2014, 5:52 PM EDT) -- Mazda Motor of America Inc. was hit with a proposed class action in California federal court Wednesday accusing the company of failing to honor customer warranties by not repairing flooded engines in RX-8s with a defect known for disabling the cars' ability to "zoom-zoom."

Plaintiff Christina Paschal says she purchased a used 2004 Mazda RX-8 that experienced the engine-flooding problem multiple times before the engine ultimately failed in July 2009, and flooded again in July 2010.

http://www.law360.com/articles/528991/mazda-hit-with-suit-over-rx-8-flooding-engines

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #93 on: December 02, 2016, 04:47:51 PM »

Offline Steph

• Gaggle Hero
  • Cali Stone/ LM3
« Reply #94 on: December 02, 2016, 06:06:17 PM »
There's one on a local "for sale" group with a blown engine at only 70k miles, for $1500. Not an uncommon occurrence according to my friend that works at the local Mazda dealer.

Mazda is tied with Renault for the number of times they've won Le Mans (once). Meanwhile Porsche has won 18 times.  :grin:

My father had his for ten years and loved it. It did flood once, after moving 10 feet in the driveway on a cold engine and shuting it down, went to restart it and flooded. Cost him but still loved it.
The only issue he's ever had.

There's Lots of knowledge out there for them on the net ,*guzzi content*, I wouldnt go in blind.

Suggested workaround for flooding here
http://www.apexrotary.com
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 06:07:15 PM by Steph »

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #95 on: December 02, 2016, 07:42:30 PM »
I always wanted one of the last generation RX7's.  To me it was the prettiest car made in those years. 

Some Brits did some extensive testing using some Mazda rotary engines.  They found that they could spin them up fast enough to actually blow up, at something like 30k RPM!  They would manage them by monitoring the EGT and just turning up the boost on the turbos (they used two).  IIRC, the one that blew up was making something like 2,000hp just before it let go.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #96 on: December 02, 2016, 09:34:27 PM »
Toyota Rav 4. Get a 2005' in 06 they changed the body style, I just like the smaller 05. Automatic all wheel drive. A rare option is a 6 cylinder in a 05. The four cylinder is plenty but with a six they are hot rods .
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #97 on: December 02, 2016, 09:55:42 PM »
My son has a power steer business, and now I am retired I get called in to help out. The car brand that both we and the mechanic next door hate is the Volvo. They are just an absolute pig to get at the steering racK. Also, because they often seem to attach the rack to the firewall they regularly cause the firewall to crack. Someone has actually come up with an aftermarket brace to attach the rack to the front suspension mount! :rolleyes:

My vote would be the Miata. We had a '98 6 speed 1800 with the chassis bracing etc. Should be illegal to have that much fun in a car. :thumb:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Online sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #98 on: December 03, 2016, 08:41:30 AM »

My vote would be the Miata. We had a '98 6 speed 1800 with the chassis bracing etc. Should be illegal to have that much fun in a car. :thumb:

Interesting, in the USA market, Mazda skipped the 1998 model year, when they went from the original flip up headlight body style of the NA, to the second generation NB. NA models (1989-1997)are becoming modern classics, with some clean, low mileage editions selling for well over 10k in the USA.

Any year Miata is a terrific sports car value, IMHO.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 11:41:31 AM by sdcr »
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #99 on: December 03, 2016, 02:30:21 PM »
The '97 here had the fixed headlights and the 1800 engine, but still had the 5 speed. Drove one when we were looking. WAAAAY undergeared. The 6 speed changed all that. :thumb:
03 Breva

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #100 on: December 04, 2016, 11:24:06 AM »

John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #101 on: December 04, 2016, 01:46:38 PM »
Some ninny on this board wrote this back in 2012:
"Considered a Suzuki SX4, glad I passed on the fun little thing and got an all wheel drive Ford 500 new instead (same price).  Not sold on (Suzuki) for making a quality product -seemed flimsy.

Nic"

Oh wait, that was me before I bought a used one.  It's given me nothing but smiles - zero unplanned trips to mechanic, no weird symptoms, no agita.  No more on the orphan Suzuki SX4 from me.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Offline RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #102 on: December 04, 2016, 02:32:09 PM »

Okay Motosan, I've read through four pages of nonsense. The only real choice here is one of the most cult followed,easy to work on, superior parts availabilty,Billy Goat sure footedness, Limosene ride quality vehicle. I submit to you...

Eighties models by far the best.

Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #103 on: December 04, 2016, 04:07:30 PM »
My son had a `87? Mazda RX-7 and then I had it for awhile.  It had automatic tranny.  Forget it's mileage but he put a new rebuilt motor in it after awhile.   Driving a rotary is like riding a 2 stroke MC in that it loses motor oil due to its design, 3 sweeping vanes for compression.  Regularly you have to check your oil 'cause you lose some every time you drive.  So it's like owning an oil injected 2 stroke MC.  I got 24-25 mpg on the hiway with it.  It did get a lot of looks and some drivers would want to race with me.   Whenever I raised the hood other drivers around would be curious what it's motor looked like.  So if you want some attention........ :thumb:

We have a `01 Rav4 which we got after someones lease ran out in `03.  All it's needed is routine maintenance and I have pulled 2 MC on a 450# trailer behind it no problem.  Ours has a 4spd automatic and 3 valve 2L motor and we get 25 mpg with it on trips.   Right now ours has 146K miles on it and we plan on keeping it forever.   It's comfortable, has plenty of room for carrying things(I took out both back seats).  Toyota motors last 300K miles if taken care of properly.  I've owned Toyotas since `75.  :bow:

If I want fun I ride a MC, maxi-scooter, or 6 months ago got a `14 Ford Fiesta 1.6L that handles like a sports car and gets 39 mpg with it's 6 spd. auto.  :azn:   Paid about $11K OTD for this.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #104 on: December 04, 2016, 04:19:10 PM »
  Okay Motosan, I've read through four pages of nonsense. The only real choice here is one of the most cult followed,easy to work on, superior parts availabilty,Billy Goat sure footedness, Limosene ride quality vehicle. I submit to you...

She'll see your 'jeep' and raise you to a "travelall"

go big or go home
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Motosan

• New Egg
« Reply #105 on: December 04, 2016, 07:08:03 PM »

Nice pick. My stepfather had one for years, he loved that thing. I would certainly consider it if I could find the right one.

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #106 on: December 04, 2016, 07:22:49 PM »
If you don't need a real back. Seat I would  look hard at an RX eight.   For fun and practicality a Mazda three can't be beat.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #107 on: December 04, 2016, 07:36:32 PM »
Some ninny on this board wrote this back in 2012:
"Considered a Suzuki SX4, glad I passed on the fun little thing and got an all wheel drive Ford 500 new instead (same price).  Not sold on (Suzuki) for making a quality product -seemed flimsy.

Nic"

Oh wait, that was me before I bought a used one.  It's given me nothing but smiles - zero unplanned trips to mechanic, no weird symptoms, no agita.  No more on the orphan Suzuki SX4 from me.

Hey Nic,    I've always thought Suzukis, were reasonable quality vehicles,,, their SJ410 4x4s, were awesome little rigs.

I'm looking for a vehicle myself right now and have been hesitant to look at Suzukis,,, because 2 knowledgeable mechanics have told me, that they rust away quickly, compared to Toyotas or Hondas (I live in Ottawa Canada,, lots of snow, ice and roadsalt+).

I can see you live in NC,,, do you get much for a winter there and any roadsalt,,, if so,  how did the Suzuki, hold up?

TIA

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #108 on: December 05, 2016, 08:03:44 AM »
Hey Nic,    I've always thought Suzukis, were reasonable quality vehicles,,, their SJ410 4x4s, were awesome little rigs.

I'm looking for a vehicle myself right now and have been hesitant to look at Suzukis,,, because 2 knowledgeable mechanics have told me, that they rust away quickly, compared to Toyotas or Hondas (I live in Ottawa Canada,, lots of snow, ice and roadsalt+).

I can see you live in NC,,, do you get much for a winter there and any roadsalt,,, if so,  how did the Suzuki, hold up?

TIA

Kelly
Hey Kelly, used to live in interior New England where there was a lot of salt on the road.  Here, there is not much need for salt but it gets applied sometimes when it's not needed.  Still, nowhere near as much salt.  I bought a SX4 with 100k miles on it, a Tennessee car, and it has zero rust.  You might consider doing something like that, buy one that's aged in the sun, then salt it for its second half of life. 
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #109 on: December 05, 2016, 12:10:53 PM »
Hey Kelly, used to live in interior New England where there was a lot of salt on the road.  Here, there is not much need for salt but it gets applied sometimes when it's not needed.  Still, nowhere near as much salt.  I bought a SX4 with 100k miles on it, a Tennessee car, and it has zero rust.  You might consider doing something like that, buy one that's aged in the sun, then salt it for its second half of life.

Hey Nic,   Tks for the reply. I agree with you,,, good plan on picking up a nice used one from down south,,, but with the exchange rate US/Candian dollar, and the paperwork crossing the border,,, that's a headache I don't have headspace for right now.

Most of the mechanics up here, are all in agreement,,, that the corrosion resitance of the Toyota Rav4s is the best of the bunch I'm considering,,, so that's what I've been searching for,,, but it's the preferred veh for the yuppies up here,,, so a good used Rav4 up here is as rare as hens teeth.

Tks

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline sdhow

• New Egg
« Reply #110 on: December 05, 2016, 03:41:18 PM »
That old 900 Turbo is cool, but it's not a daily driver.  Parts are gonna be hard to obtain on ANY 30 y.o. car, Japanese or otherwise!

Actually, the later model Saabs are an excellent value, especially if you can find one with paperwork.  I have a '07 9-5 Aero with 115k miles I picked up for $1500.  Had a CEL (broken vacuum line) and a couple of other niggly parts to fix, but for less than $500 in NEW parts (yes, you can still get OEM parts...FAST), I have a comfortable, QUICK (did I mention I upgraded to a Stage II...320 bhp/380 lb/ft), fun and reliable daily commuter.  Fold the back seats up and it's got all the room of a CUV!  Mine has nav, power/memory/heated seats (even REAR heated seats), Harmon/Kardon stereo, auto-sensing wipers, sports suspension, leather, back up assist, on and on.  Looks like a BMW from the rear and like a jet from the front!

The later (2003-later) 9-3s were based on the GM Epsilon platform and used a version of the 2.0 turbo Ecotec engine and Aisin (Toyota supplier) transmissions; very reliable and parts are very easy to source.  This is why the other poster said he could use a Chevy Cobalt PS pump.  It's also the same engine family currently used by GM on its smaller Cadillacs, Buicks and even the Camaros with the base engine.  The small displacement turbo engine development was the big reason for GM's investment in Saab to begin with.

You should be able to find a really nice 9-3 or 9-5, 2006 or later, in excellent condition for $3-5,000.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 03:52:03 PM by sdhow »

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #111 on: December 06, 2016, 03:29:38 AM »

Pass anything on the road except a gas bowser.
03 Breva

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here