Author Topic: What motorcycles have you owned that you loved but they didn't love you back?  (Read 11617 times)

oldbike54

The Norton Contaminator Twin

Dusty

Offline DARKHORSE

• New Egg
For me, My 86 r65 beemer. Good looking bike in dark blue with the hardbags and windshield. Shocker, a german bike that wouldnt start when cold.  If left on choke for while warming it up the pipes would turn cherry red. Put some miles on it, wanted to love it. The final straw was a vibration it developed. Came across an almost new cbx honda so I sold the beemer. Later I found out the from the new owner that the trans went out on it. Parts prices on the beemer were nuts. three hundred bucks for a piston for instance. Put 46k on the cbx. bye bye bmw.

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
My beautiful blue 93 K1100LT...it had a vibration around 70-75 mph in the throttle, back then I didn't know about the crampbuster, but it used to put my wrist to sleep after a short while riding.  Had to ride either too slow or too fast in most situations to avoid the vibration, anyway, I sold it when I moved overseas.  Loved the bike for its size, looks, stability, inline 4 box engine and even the stereo, but could never solve the vibration issue.  I was planning to buy another sport Touring BMW when I got back, but Guzzi came on my radar screen, and I haven't looked back...very happy with the Norge after 7 years of riding it! 
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline tpeever

• Gaggle Mentor
This was a Guzzi Breva 1200 Sport?!? :shocked: :rolleyes: :shocked: :rolleyes:  I am very surprised to hear this, and I ever heard of that happening on a Guzzi before (??)...Could it have been a tire or suspension issue?

Photo from December 2007 at the IMS Show in San Mateo, CA - - I almost bought one! :thumb: :cool: :1:

Agreed! My 1200 Sport has been a wonderful, reliable bike. Runs like a dream, especially since I installed a proper fueling map!
2008 Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport
2007 Moto Guzzi Nevada
1978 Kawasaki KZ650
1976 BMW R75/6
1974 Norton Commando
1968 Moto Guzzi V700
1967 Triumph TR6C
1961 Norton Dominator

Wildguzzi.com

Offline tpeever

• Gaggle Mentor

The Norton Contaminator Twin

Dusty

Agreed! I have owned a Matchless twin as well as a Norton Dominator twin. Both have not stirred my soul and I have not connected to them. My Norton Commando on the other hand is my favorite bike despite being challenged over the years by several Guzzis. That bike still puts a huge smile on my face every time I ride it!
2008 Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport
2007 Moto Guzzi Nevada
1978 Kawasaki KZ650
1976 BMW R75/6
1974 Norton Commando
1968 Moto Guzzi V700
1967 Triumph TR6C
1961 Norton Dominator

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
Denise, Stacey, Ann, Ginger, Barbara..... hum oh shoot we are talking about motorcycles not women. Never mind.  :grin:
Red 90 Mille GT

Rough Edge racing

70 kick start only Sportster with a built performance engine..It was fast for a Harley, it vibrated, it rode and handled like a lumber wagon...Several Harley big twin Shovelheads, both kick start. I tried to like Harleys, I tried to be a Harley guy...it didn't take...74 Norton Commando 850, the bike ran well and after some tuning was pretty fast, it was reliable for my style of riding, I just didn't like it...

Offline KiwiKev

• Gaggle Mentor
Agreed! I have owned a Matchless twin as well as a Norton Dominator twin. Both have not stirred my soul and I have not connected to them. My Norton Commando on the other hand is my favorite bike despite being challenged over the years by several Guzzis. That bike still puts a huge smile on my face every time I ride it!
I had a Matchless 500 single & rode a mates twin a bit back then, pretty gutless I recall and both handled like shyte. We used to ride an old Indian & Aerial Red hunter around the farm.
No exhaust pipes so scared the livestock a tad :-)

Offline m13

• Gosling
In 1973 bought my first Guzzi, an Eldorado. I Loved that bike, ..LOVED that bike. A bit over 20,000 miles and the cylinders flaked. Didn't know why, the dealer had no clue (about anything Guzzi), and no internet then, no real network. After complaining for six months the dealer got me a replacement set of jugs/pistons, but only those parts. Handed them to me, the repair was MY responsibility! (was passed warranty by then) I slapped her back together too dumb  to look for other damage, rode her a few thousand more till she was knocking, tapping , rattling so loud I knew she was dying.and traded her in on a new 1975 Goldwing. Funny thing about some relationships,..even though they begin hot and strong, once over, with time, one can forget about the broken dreams and forgive and even romanticize how it "use to be"....Kidding!... I loved the Goldwing too (rebound relationship?), with not as much passion but a long steady, comfortable, dependable partnership. Quite a  Gal.
Leonardtown, Maryland
'69 Manky V700
'60-something?(who really knows) Chang jiang 750

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PORS0y5exgY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B24-c-rJM_Q

Online willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
After owning the BMW K75C for 5 years, I thought the 800cc BMW R80ST looked more exciting. So I bought a used one in 1991 in perfect condition. One week later and 600 feet from my house, out of nowhere, the engine locked up on me!  I had it repaired but it was no longer the smooth running opposed twin that it was before. The honeymoon was quickly over. within 3 months of buying it, I sold it and went back to my K75C.
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Offline cookiemech

• Gosling
1986 BMW R80RT I bought new. Best weather protection of any motorcycle I've ever seen or ridden. Decent looking, for a BMW. But it suffered unreliability for most of the 87K miles I owned it; the electronic ignition module would "warn" me by shutting down operations without notice, then (maybe) restarting and allowing me to complete my ride. I wound up keeping spare modules (providentially, shared with early 80s fuel-injected VW Rabbits, of which there were LOTS in the local junkyard) in my tankbag, and became adept at changing them on the road (had the heat-conductive paste and a rag with me, too).

Turned out that the problem was pinched wiring in the front cover, which occurred on Day 1 of my ownership, when the bike took four tries to bring it 15 miles home from the dealer. Apparently one of the attempted fixes involved that front cover, and the wiring suffered. So, at, say, 60K miles, I was able to put that particular failure mode behind me.

The engine made a claimed 50 hp, so it was a total slug (no surprise), but also didn't achieve decent gas mileage. When everything was just right, it might make 40 mpg on a trip, but in cold weather, 33 mpg was about average. And starting it after work on a cold (say 30°F) day was a fingers-crossed exercise. If it didn't catch right away, not gonna start. What a pig.

I wasn't flush with money in those days (paid cash for the bike, as I do for everything else), so I stuck with it for years. Few years later I bought a BMW R75/6 that was vastly better in every way. Then a K75 and K75RT. Damn. So much better it's not funny. And an R1100RT. Phenomenal.

I think airheads can be great, based on some I've seen and ridden. Just not the first one I had.

Offline John in PA

• Gaggle Hero
  • ML & me
I had a 2000 Quota that I felt that way about. I loved the handling, the riding position, comfort (I had a Rick Mayer saddle built for it) My wife felt it was the most comfortable pillion on all of my Guzzis at the time. 

BUT, I could never get the glitchy fuel injection straightened out.  In spite of a PC-III, and not one, but TWO trips to a Dynojet Tuning Link center for custom map builds, it would continue to surge and drop around that magic 3300-3500 RPM point.

Second beef? Atrocious fuel economy.  When the rest of the 2000 model year  Guzzis were getting 45-47MPG, the Quota could be counted on to get 34-37  MPG, and I'm a reasonably conservative rider.  No noticeable change even with the piggyback fueling computer.

Third beef? Buffeting.  Despite playing with different windshields, vented and unvented, at speeds above 60-65, the shuddering wind blast would shake your lid enough to blur your vision.  Probably a set of properly designed winglets below the sides of the tank would have lessened it, and I found others recommending tank sidebags, essentially doing the same thing, some time after I finally parted with the bike.

I really loved the 'Mighty Q", but it was definitely not reciprocated.

Second pic taken the day Speaker's picked it up along with two other Guzzis on a new '09 Stelvio.  The Stelvio became all that I had hoped the Quota would have been (except for the cam issues... :sad: :wink:   sigh...   )

John Wells
Hollidaysburg, PA
Buncha Guzzi's

Offline Cal3

• Hatchling
But what has the BIKE actually done wrong besides obeying your inputs (buggering up a corner), or locking the wheel 'cos you didn't strap your coat on properly, or not knowing how not to get itself stolen ? The fist two things would have happened if you owned the best bike in the world, with all due respect, they were your silly fault and did the bike get stolen because it's a Kawasaki ? No wonder your bike didn't love you, you've tried twice (un successfully) to destroy it !

:grin: :grin: I hear ya.....but for some reason, these kind of things only happened on this bike. I actually left one item out during my 3 week ownership......whil e going down the freeway some guy/car decided he was going to chase me down/run me down for some reason and I have no idea why?? Me and that bike did not get along!! Maybe it was a good thing for me that it was stolen or I wouldn't still be riding.

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
1975 Kawasaki H1 500cc triple - green, just like this one, purchased brand new, and at age 19, I was a fearless, skinny rider back then. :cool:

One night, while racing my buddy on his Triumph 750 Trident on the twisty back roads of upstate NY, I experienced an 85+ mph "tank-slapper" which almost threw me off, and it sacred me so badly, I sold the bike the following week. :shocked: :rolleyes:

They did not call these triples "The Widowmaker" for nothing...and the 750 was WORSE!! (LOL) :shocked: :rolleyes:

Actually it was really only the H2 that was known as "the Widowmaker".  The Italians called it "the Flying Coffin."  It's likely you had some play either in your swing arm bushings or in your head bearings.  I've never had my H2 go into a tank slapper in the 39 years I've owned it, although just about any motorcycle can do it if just the wrong events coincide.

Not to point a finger at you at all, but I think most of the stories of horrible handling Kawasaki triples were the result of either an inexperienced rider getting in over his head, or poor maintenance.  Many motorcycles of the day were poorly set up and/or maintained, but the power of the H1 and H2 didn't allow for mistakes in maintenance or riding.  Many H2s were successfully raced in the production stock classes, and many won.  If half the stories of how bad they are/were were true, that couldn't have happened.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Rough Edge racing

At the limit the H2 could be very dangerous as demonstrated by Cook Neilson for Cycle magazine back when the bike was introduced and even the Kawasaki factory people took notice. To be fair the majority of riders never took the bike to those that limit.Smart riders felt it coming and backed off, dumb riders were thrown off...In general all high power 70's Japanese bikes had suspect handling at speed but on a track ridden by expert riders they could turn impressive times...

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
True.  A French rider on the triples board, and former H2 racer, tells of one of the tighter tracks he raced on, and how his engine case covers got ground down in the turns.  Here's his board avatar.  Note that the right muffler you can see, and also the left one, were hammered in for ground clearance.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 10:39:11 AM by Triple Jim »
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
The Laverda. A $25 barn find. After all the time and $$ I spent bringing it back to life, and the joy I had riding it, the camshaft kept eating the woodruff key. Traded in for the T.  The Laverda did teach me all about Brembo, Dell'orto and Marelli.

The T, on the other hand, has been a long tempestuous marriage. I know she loves me because, however wounded, she always got me home. In return I've repaired/replaced most major components and next summer will complete the second post-flood rebuild.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Rough Edge racing

The two stroke Kawasakis  always took the brunt of the Japanese bike poor handling criticism because they were fast and often smoked more than necessary..And the two stroke sound was alien to riders used to European machines and of course the Harley guys...I rode an H2 in the 70's and was surprised by the low speed power and when I jumped on the throttle in first gear the view of the sky also surprised me  :laugh:.  My hot rod Triumph Bonneville was a match for the 500 Kaw but the 750 was a whole lot faster...In all I don't remember the H2 being uncivilized...

Offline huub

• Gaggle Mentor
True.  A French rider on the triples board, and former H2 racer, tells of one of the tighter tracks he raced on, and how his engine case covers got ground down in the turns.  Here's his board avatar.  Note that the right muffler you can see, and also the left one, were hammered in for ground clearance.

i think the handling  wasnt worse than other bikes at the time ( my 1972  commando wasnt better) , but the power to weight ratio magnified any problems.
a friend has a H2, riding one now is really fun, compared to modern bikes the suspension is pretty useless, brakes are even worse..
handling? at high speed you can provoke a speed wobble anytime, but with modern tires they are easy to handle.
one of the most  fun bikes i have ridden.
I would love one , but with current prices that is unlikely going to happen

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
a friend has a H2, riding one now is really fun, compared to modern bikes the suspension is pretty useless, brakes are even worse..

If one isn't stuck on keeping it perfectly "correct", a few relatively small things can make great improvements in suspension and braking.  For example, even staying with only one front disk, if a dual piston caliper from the later EX Kawasakis (Ninja 250, 500, etc.) is adapted to fit, and EBC HH pads and a 1/2" EX master cylinder are used, braking becomes a 2-finger thing.

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
For me, I'd have to say my very first Guzzi. 1997 1100Sport i.
Different parts of my body held the Sport in the highest regard. Other parts argued to sell the beast.
Other than snatchy fueling (tech term..),  I can blame no part of this on the bike.
My eyes fell in love at first sight, my ears were seduced at each start up,
and I felt like King of the world blasting around on it. For a while anyway.
My neck started bitching first, next was my arms and wrists,  whining like a little school girl.
In short order I put 20k miles on it and an Iron Butt Saddle Sore 1000. This last stunt convinced me
that I had become a wimp and should stick to the easy stuff like mountainbiking :boozing:
I DO miss you Mellow Yellow, just no longer man enough... :cry:
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 05:58:33 PM by tazio »
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline fubar guzzi

• Gosling
My 98 EV,it viciously attacked me broke my Fubalator bone and shows no sign of remorse  :popcorn:

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
" when I jumped on the throttle in first gear the view of the sky also surprised me "

Yeah, I had a brief relationship with an H2 - I could only leave a stop light by stalling it or doing a wheelie. Had a lot of fun leaving Porsches in two-stroke smoke clouds in Sausalito.

Not the bikes fault, I was not the rider it was looking for. It's okay, I found it a good home and it led me to my first Guzzi.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 02:32:38 PM by normzone »
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
My '74 Norton was superb. It even got me home when a clutch cable broke! However, when I finally got my '67 Royal Enfield 700 running, the thing vibrated so badly it was unrideable. It was sold with several boxes of spare parts for $200.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

oldbike54

My 98 EV,it viciously attacked me broke my Fubalator bone and shows no sign of remorse  :popcorn:

I heard it snickering ...

Dusty

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
My '74 Norton was superb. It even got me home when a clutch cable broke! However, when I finally got my '67 Royal Enfield 700 running, the thing vibrated so badly it was unrideable. It was sold with several boxes of spare parts for $200.

My '75 Norton with front and rear disks and an electric starter is very much like a more modern bike, nothing "antique" about it, and has been very reliable for me.

It's interesting though that in all these years of riding classic bikes, I've never met anyone successfully campaigning a Royal Enfield Twin on rides to rallies, camps, or even just weekend lunch outings.   They look beautiful, but they just won't run, apparently.   I wouldn't even try ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
 My 75 T that I bought in 79, had it for 2 weeks had to do the clutch because the rear seal leaked all over it, my other bike was a 550 Honda with a Yosh cam in it so when I test rode it the slipping clutch making the motor rev felt normal. So I learned how to change the clutch. Then coming back from Laconia I lost the front  brake and rear ended my friend on his GS750, that was a wtf moment. Then for the next 13 years all sorts of little problems, sold it to a guy from Denmark who shipped it there to flip.
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Rough Edge racing

My '75 Norton with front and rear disks and an electric starter is very much like a more modern bike, nothing "antique" about it, and has been very reliable for me.

It's interesting though that in all these years of riding classic bikes, I've never met anyone successfully campaigning a Royal Enfield Twin on rides to rallies, camps, or even just weekend lunch outings.   They look beautiful, but they just won't run, apparently.   I wouldn't even try ....

Lannis

You never heard of Al Eckstadt on the Brit Bike Forum ? He rides a 60's 750 RE Interceptor to various rallies in NY state and maybe beyond..

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
My only experience with a 750 Enfield was a Rickman Enfield. There is or was one in town Rough. All I remember is it had 4 gears and 6 neutrals. Odds were better at getting a neutral than an actual gear.

Pete

Offline BillinPA

• Gaggle Mentor
 Mine was a 1968 Triumph Bonneville. I thought it was the cats meow......turned out to be a nightmare...spent more time in the back of a truck than all other bikes combined. Dirt bikes not included : Wink:

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here