Author Topic: Victory Motorcycles Rides into the Sunset  (Read 9874 times)

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Victory Motorcycles Rides into the Sunset
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2017, 06:13:44 PM »

So, will Victory dealers automatically become Indian dealers?

Unlikely.

There were a large number of Victory (and other Polaris) dealers who applied for Indian dealerships when the brand was re-introduced, and a very large number of them did not get their requested franchise (I was working at one that did, and the investment required was substantial). I'd suspect some of the current dealers will, but some others will not for reasons of location, ability to invest, sales history, and so on. A good guide is the fairly recent history of the demise of Pontiac - some dealers were just plain out in the cold and had to argue compensation. Franchise or dealership agreements are always great fodder for business lawyers.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2017, 06:58:52 PM »
Parts / warranty will continue for 10 years.  Famed Harley custom bike builder Arlen Ness was the designer for the Vision.

Like my Centauro GT - people either love it or hate it...there is no in between... :wink:

My wife LOVES riding on on the back of Moby Dick, aka..."The Great White Whale") - LOL  :rolleyes: :wink: :thumb: :cool: 

I have ridden a lot of large touring bikes in my time, and I can tell you without reservations, this is a superb "two-up" cruiser, and I am keeping mine for the time being... :thumb: :cool:

I just wonder what all the "Victory only" dealers will do now...switch to Indian? Or just fold...???

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2017, 07:16:24 PM »
...and while the hand-wringing and speculation over Victory continues...it reminds me of another classic phrase I once read here:

"Moto Guzzi...going out of business since 1921!"  :shocked: :rolleyes: :cool: :thumb: :wink: :grin: :laugh:
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline sliphorn

• Hatchling
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2017, 07:40:54 PM »
When talking to the Indian Rep, after test riding a Scout, I mentioned I'd love it with the seat raised four or five inches and the pegs moved back twelve to eighteen inches.

d00d's eyes glazed over and he went catatonic.  Seems a 30-inch seat and pegs straight below the hips is a completely foreign concept for the bikerz boyz Polaris has hired for its motorcycle companies.

:grin:

Ha! That is the exact same response I got from the Indian Rep after saying the same thing you did about the Scout. What a bunch of dummies.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2017, 07:40:54 PM »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2017, 08:00:47 PM »
...and while the hand-wringing and speculation over Victory continues...it reminds me of another classic phrase I once read here:

"Moto Guzzi...going out of business since 1921!"  :shocked: :rolleyes: :cool: :thumb: :wink: :grin: [emoji23]
If the parallel is intended I'd say I agree that's exactly why there's so much hand wringing going on here ... Guzzi exists at the same whims of some corporate entity and likely has even lower annual sales. Certainly it can't support a single brand dealer any better.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Kentktk

« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2017, 08:15:13 PM »
I love my Modern (No longer made) Classic 2012 Victory CCT, probably more than any other bike (including my guzzi)  and will continue to ride and keep. I have/Had no intention of ever selling it. Who knows. It may become a collectable sometime in the future. It's paid for, handles great, comfortable and reliable. I've had 14 HD's before this - I'm not going anywhere. *They will have to pry my cold dead hands off of it.. :^)

I will say now that it will not ever be a collectible of any significant value. I doubt there is anyone who would even want to pry it from your cold dead hands.

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2017, 12:20:07 AM »
When I buy any bike I don't care what it's resale value will be and usually keep them a long time as long as I can still get parts for them.   If they keep their resale value(some Guzzis) that's just a bonus to me I didn't expect.  But at the same time I don't buy very many bikes/scooters new either.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 12:26:00 AM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2017, 07:11:15 AM »
I'll bet in a couple of years, Victory will emerge as a model under Indian.
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Online sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2017, 07:30:10 AM »
They could have simply renamed the company "Cowboy", and then they could market the different brands to folks with different range war sympathies.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2017, 08:15:30 AM »
Parts / warranty will continue for 10 years.  Famed Harley custom bike builder Arlen Ness was the designer for the Vision.

Like my Centauro GT - people either love it or hate it...there is no in between... :wink:

My wife LOVES riding on on the back of Moby Dick, aka..."The Great White Whale") - LOL  :rolleyes: :wink: :thumb: :cool: 

I have ridden a lot of large touring bikes in my time, and I can tell you without reservations, this is a superb "two-up" cruiser, and I am keeping mine for the time being... :thumb: :cool:

I just wonder what all the "Victory only" dealers will do now...switch to Indian? Or just fold...???

Ha ha.

JJ, to me that whale looks better than the motorcycle!

The first time I saw one on the road, I couldn't believe my eyes.  It looked like a one-off custom job made for a science fiction movie.  Just weird. (Some think the same of some of my bikes like the GS.)

Several years later I took an extended test ride on one. Sitting on it, you don't have to look at it like you do from afar.  :azn:

It's a big, long motorcycle but I liked the way it rode-out.  Hey, it's a big twin and that's right up my alley. The bike I rode had plenty of power and handled well for a bike that big.

As far as the other bikes in the Victory line-up, I never felt much better about them either. The wonky/funky California/Ness styling cues have no appeal for me.  Ditto for the exclusively feet-forward riding ergo of the Victory bikes.   

They all have plenty of power although their version of the V twin looked more like an air compressor than a classic-styled engine. The fit and finish and overall quality of all the Victory bikes that I have seen are first-class.

Being a long-time Harley Man, I would have loved to own an alternative bike that captured a similar style.  The Victory was trying so much to be different from Harley that they over-did it and ended up too far out for many people drawn to classic American twins.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 08:16:56 AM by leafman60 »

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2017, 08:47:29 AM »
It's a minimum commitment of $250,000.00 IIRC to get started with Indian.
Victory will need an entire new powerplant to meet Euro 4 if my dealer friend was correct.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2017, 11:18:14 PM »
They could have simply renamed the company "Cowboy", and then they could market the different brands to folks with different range war sympathies.
Now, that's clever...

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2017, 10:35:18 AM »
At least the companies will be making parts for the Victory bikes people have bought for the next 10 years. This was announced by the CEO when the decision was announced to drop the victory line. I've got a buddy who just bought one of the touring barges. He loves it but dang it's ugly!

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2017, 09:10:41 AM »
Ha ha.

JJ, to me that whale looks better than the motorcycle!

The first time I saw one on the road, I couldn't believe my eyes.  It looked like a one-off custom job made for a science fiction movie.  Just weird. (Some think the same of some of my bikes like the GS.)

Several years later I took an extended test ride on one. Sitting on it, you don't have to look at it like you do from afar.  :azn:

It's a big, long motorcycle but I liked the way it rode-out.  Hey, it's a big twin and that's right up my alley. The bike I rode had plenty of power and handled well for a bike that big.

As far as the other bikes in the Victory line-up, I never felt much better about them either. The wonky/funky California/Ness styling cues have no appeal for me.  Ditto for the exclusively feet-forward riding ergo of the Victory bikes.   

They all have plenty of power although their version of the V twin looked more like an air compressor than a classic-styled engine. The fit and finish and overall quality of all the Victory bikes that I have seen are first-class.

Being a long-time Harley Man, I would have loved to own an alternative bike that captured a similar style.  The Victory was trying so much to be different from Harley that they over-did it and ended up too far out for many people drawn to classic American twins.

Thanks for your comments, leafman60. At the end of the day, it is an "superb" two-up, long distance cruiser with excellent brakes and handling.  Again, my wife picked this one out and she loves riding on it!. 

Personally, I would have probably bought another Harley Big Twin or BMW, but I will admit it has grown on me over the last 9,000 miles.  I will just keep it and enjoy it for the time being, along with my '98 Centauro GT. :thumb: :cool: :smiley: :wink:

multi image upload
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2017, 09:20:10 AM »
I've ridden every bike Victory made except the Octane and thought the Vision was the most enjoyable to ride.
I did ride the Scout and loved the motor.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: January 19, 2017, 05:00:12 PM »
Thanks for your comments, leafman60. At the end of the day, it is an "superb" two-up, long distance cruiser with excellent brakes and handling.  Again, my wife picked this one out and she loves riding on it!. 

Personally, I would have probably bought another Harley Big Twin or BMW, but I will admit it has grown on me over the last 9,000 miles.  I will just keep it and enjoy it for the time being, along with my '98 Centauro GT. :thumb: :cool: :smiley: :wink:

multi image upload

It certainly has a much more refined back seat than what's offered on the Beast.  Maggie's taken a couple 400 mile rides with me. Bless her heart!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 05:01:31 PM by twhitaker »
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #77 on: January 19, 2017, 05:16:45 PM »
It certainly has a much more refined back seat than what's offered on the Beast.  Maggie's taken a couple 400 mile rides with me. Bless her heart!

Before I bought the Vision, we rode tested Gold Wings, the BMW 6-cylinder, several Big Twin Harley's, the new Indian Chief, etc. and my wife claims this was the most comfortable back seat for her...so I bought it!!  :thumb: :cool: :wink: :smiley:

'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline swmckinley54

• Hatchling
« Reply #78 on: January 20, 2017, 08:22:33 AM »
Like JJ I have owned 2 Victory Visions and would still own one if the Hummer would have looked in his/her rear view mirror before attempting a U-turn. The bike was totalled and I faired pretty well all things considered. I will say it is/was the finest 2-up cruiser I have ever ridden, it is the only bike my wife would ride on the back of and she loved it. The first one had 55K on the clock before I traded it in and the 2nd one was on it's way to 25K at the time of the accident. Either you love the way it looks or hate it, me, I loved to ride it as well as look at it and I am not ashamed to admit it.
Steven Mckinley
Austin, TX
2016 Eldorado

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here