Author Topic: Why is Ice So Slippery?  (Read 9606 times)

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
Why is Ice So Slippery?
« on: January 10, 2017, 06:36:53 PM »
Seems like a simple question, right?
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

oldbike54

Re: Why is Ice So Slippery?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 06:43:29 PM »
 Aren't you the MIT grad ?  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 06:46:20 PM »
I'll bite - it isn't slippery in a solid state, it's the thin water layer that somehow forms on top under pressure that makes it slippery.  Why that liquid layer of H2O forms is not totally 'clear' - get it?  : )
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 06:49:24 PM »
What Nic said. It is that perfect, thin layer or water that forms from the friction.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 06:49:24 PM »

Offline ridingron

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 06:56:07 PM »
What Nic said. It is that perfect, thin layer of water that forms from the friction. 

I think it's from the friction and weight. The closer the ice is to the freezing point the more water is melting. Same for snow. That's why you need different wax for different temps. when skiing. Also, different length blades when speed skating. That is of course for the serious skaters.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 06:58:37 PM by ridingron »

oldbike54

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 07:09:32 PM »
I think it's from the friction and weight. The closer the ice is to the freezing point the more water is melting. Same for snow. That's why you need different wax for different temps. when skiing. Also, different length blades when speed skating. That is of course for the serious skaters.

OO OO , what would you call a skating club made up of Guzzi riders ?

Dusty

twowings

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 07:09:50 PM »

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 07:14:21 PM »
 I use Crampons when walking the dog these days, wiped out too many times on ice under snow cover.

my son the Hockey player plagiarized this,

A century and a half of scientific inquiry has yet to solve this one. It's clear that a thin layer of liquid water on top of solid ice causes the slipperiness. A fluid's mobility makes it difficult to walk on, even if the layer is thin. But there's no consensus as to why ice�unlike most other solids�has such a layer.

Scientists long reasoned that, since water has the unusual property of being less dense as a solid than as a liquid, its melting point can be lowered with an increase in pressure. While this is true, even the sharpest of skates raises the melting point by only a few degrees. The pressure theory doesn't hold water unless the ice is pretty warm already. Something else must be going on.

Some studies suggest that friction from a moving shoe, skate or tire causes the heat necessary to melt the ice beneath it. But what if the shoe isn't moving at all? A second theory proposes that ice inherently has a fluid layer, caused by the motion of surface molecules that have nothing above to bind to and so move around in search of stability. The slippery culprit may be a combination of these two theories.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 07:17:11 PM by fotoguzzi »
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

twowings

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 07:15:09 PM »
The Word of the Day is... ZAMBONI!!!

« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 07:16:25 PM by twowings »

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 07:27:33 PM »
As a corollary to ice being less dense than liquid water (it floats), it has a lower melting point when under pressure.  When compressed (by an ice skate blade, for example), a thin layer of ice instantly melts.  It's actually a thin layer of water you're skating on, even at temperatures well below freezing.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 07:44:33 PM »
Water is weird stuff! A riding buddy used to be a science teacher. He described the anomalies once, but it was confusing enough I don't recall the whole story. I'll have to get him to go through it again. But what I remember was that ice doesn't necessarily float right off - it will stay submerged until the water around it gets to a certain temp. I've since noticed that ice cubes don't always come to the surface when I pour cold juice into the glass. They'll stay on the bottom for several minutes sometimes.

That's interesting data that pressure can instantly melt ice. I never knew that. Have to see what my friend has to say about that!

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 08:28:24 PM »
Life on earth exists in part because water is more dense than ice. It is one of the four unique things about our planet. The others? We have an extremely large and relatively close moon, leading to substantial tides; we have an atmosphere that is neither too thin nor too dense; and we have a world that constantly rotates at just the right speed.

The combination of cold water sinking (but frozen water rising) and substantial tides means our oceans and larger bodies of fresh water are constantly turning over. This brings nutrients to the surface instead of allowing them to lay on the bottom with no oxygen or sunlight to break them down into useful components. Even further, the movement of the water gets accelerated by the rotation of the earth, creating huge currents. Finally, add in the floating ice at the poles (which conveniently reflects a substantial amount of light) and we have an extension of the warm and cold currents in the ocean into the thinner 'ocean' of air, carrying currents of heat, cold and moisture across the continents.

Eventually, this all leads to the ideal conditions for the rise of life, and the eventual and inevitable creation of Moto Guzzis and roads on which to ride them (Moto Guzzi content!).
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2017, 08:47:15 PM »

Dusty

Impossible?   

oldbike54

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2017, 08:57:43 PM »
Impossible?

Not what we were looking for , but a good answer none the less  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2017, 09:35:15 PM »

Dusty
the Moto Guzzi Hockey team? A Curling club might be more appropriate ?

« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 09:44:00 PM by fotoguzzi »
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2017, 10:59:22 PM »
When compressed (by an ice skate blade, for example), a thin layer of ice instantly melts.  It's actually a thin layer of water you're skating on, even at temperatures well below freezing.

Right.  It takes a lot of pressure to get the melting point to go substantially lower than 32F to allow skating to work, but there's a lot of pressure under a skate blade, like thousands of PSI.  A good demonstration is to take a cinder block sized block of ice and suspend a heavy weight from it, using a thin piece of music wire looped around it.  If you do it right, the wire will cut all the way through the ice, but the block will remain solid and unbroken, because the ice melts, and the water flows around the wire and refreezes.

If it's cold enough, ice skating stops being possible.  I've never seen it in person, but I've read that it happens around -20F.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2017, 11:22:16 PM »
I'm thinking that with a block of ice suspended by a loop of wire, the wire will gradually work its way through the block with the cut sealing itself back up, so that when the wire finally emerges from the top side, the block will fall (not in two pieces) and smash whatever is below it. This could provide the basis of a murder mystery!

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2017, 12:14:39 AM »
What Nic said. It is that perfect, thin layer or water that forms from the friction.

and/or pressure. (or other sources of heat.)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 12:15:10 AM by johnr »
New Zealand
2002 Ev tourer (Stalled again...)

Offline RANDM

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2017, 12:39:30 AM »
Impossible?

Not what we were looking for , but a good answer none the less  :laugh:

Dusty

"The Wholly Rolly Pollies"?  "The Skidmark Skaters"? 

Offline sturgeon

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2017, 09:27:10 AM »

Dusty

Toronto Maple Leafs
Dyslexics Untie!

11 Yamaha WR250R
14 Moto Guzzi V7S
16 BMW R1200R

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2017, 09:49:38 AM »
Toronto Maple Leafs

:shocked: Brutal!

To answer the OP:  It's not that ice is or isn't slippery, it's that gravity sucks.

Online acogoff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2017, 10:17:18 AM »
     Our team would be called the "Wild". To avoid a law suit we would have to change it to "just plain goofy".
'77850t3FB Owned since it was new
Marshall County Minnesota USA

oldbike54

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2017, 10:39:37 AM »
 The correct answer of course is Cheapskates  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2017, 10:57:53 AM »
An important part of being slippery includes inertia.  The only reason anything 'slips' on a low friction surface is inertia, Newton's first law or Galileo's law of inertia, which is that any object with mass that is in motion remains in motion until acted upon by an imbalanced force.  And an object at rest remains at rest until acted upon by an imbalanced force. 

Without friction or some other force, you would slide eternally... just like in space.  You would not slow down, speed up, or change direction unless some force acted on you. 

That's why we slide on ice or other low friction surfaces.

Interestingly, Newton's third law states that all forces come in pairs... no such thing as a single, lone force in the universe.  They all come in pairs.
 :laugh:

« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 11:02:17 AM by vstevens »

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2017, 11:11:23 AM »
 The simplest correct answer it that it is slippery because it is lubricated.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2017, 12:07:05 PM »
Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice. Pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Online acogoff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2017, 12:31:31 PM »

Dusty
That pretty much hits the nail right on the head, Dusty. A more "tightwadly" (not really a word but fits) bunch I have yet to meet. Myself included.
   As far as ice slipperiness goes a career of government studies could be had just examining the degrees of slipperiness because of snow content, ambient temperature etc. Best not to give those fools ideas to start, Oh wait the DOT has rooms full of these "experts" already doing just that.
'77850t3FB Owned since it was new
Marshall County Minnesota USA

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2017, 12:48:42 PM »

Dusty

I was thinking "Geezers on Ice".
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2017, 06:20:38 PM »
 Yup, it's like why does a skidding tire out run a rolling tire...Spin the tires while moving on ice with a limited slip differential and the ass end comes around...

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2017, 06:50:46 PM »

Dusty

<rimshot>  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here