Author Topic: Why is Sport Touring dead?  (Read 14609 times)

Offline arveno

• Gaggle Hero
    • ddleathers.com
Re: Why is Sport Touring dead?
« Reply #90 on: April 18, 2017, 11:39:15 AM »

Offline alanp

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #91 on: April 18, 2017, 11:48:00 AM »
I think the ST bikes are dying off because the ADV bikes do almost everything an ST bike can do on the road and a bit more comfortably, and then also ride pretty well off road. Something that an ST doesn't do well at all.

95% or more of the worlds roads are unpaved. That's a lot of territory that is more easily explored with an ADV styled bikes. ADV bikes are the fastest growing segment/class of bike and I'd be willing to bet, that for a lot of people that is the reason. The versatility to ride a wide variety of terrain in relative comfort. There's some amazing tracks out there that aren't really rideable on an ST bike.

It's a tough package to beat, which is why for the life of me, I can't understand Guzzi not having a replacement or next generation for the Stelvio.

I think this the direct and correct answer to the OP's original question.  I disagree that ST is "dead", but it is dying as a bike category and being taken over by ADV bikes. 
Niwot, Colorado
'08 1200 Sport - Black
'16 V7II Stone - Black
Previous Guzzis
'07 Griso, '07 Norge, '03 California SS, '02 California SS, '02 V11 Lemans,  '83 Lemans III, '77 Lemans

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #92 on: April 19, 2017, 09:31:20 AM »
I had an ST2, and avoided the interstates like the plague. Of course, you're right, it is a bit silly. BTW, looked in the mirror lately, pear boy?
<running and ducking>

All right, you.   :angry:   Took you 6 years to quit doing the "Bike WILL Fit In A Transit Van" Church Lady dance,  :thewife:  well, you just wait to see what the half-life of this here "pear-shaped" comment will be .... Geez, these "in-shape" guys, like a newly-reformed smoker going around slapping cigarettes out the mouth of the less-abled .... :copcar:   

December 2017, we will meet again, here.   Photos at 20 paces.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Online willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #93 on: April 19, 2017, 09:39:10 AM »
Most riders appear to have more money to spend on motorcycling these days as compared to the 60's, 70's, and 80's. So many good used bikes available too.  So riders are owning 2, 3, 4 or more bikes in their garage, they can have a pure sports bike for Sundays, a touring bike for long trips, and the adv. bike for anywhere in between, and several bikes to tinker on. I agree, the adventure bikes have taken a large chunk of the ST segment.
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #93 on: April 19, 2017, 09:39:10 AM »

oldbike54

« Reply #94 on: April 19, 2017, 10:27:01 AM »
 My FIL had a Weimaraner named Sport who loved to go touring in the back of a pick up . Does that make him a Sport Tourer ?

Dusty

Offline trippah

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #95 on: April 19, 2017, 10:11:27 PM »
To me, back in my 20's, sport touring was a fairing or windscreen, tank bag and maybe panniers. When the roads got a little curvy, the speeds increased as did the lean angles.  Today, I wonder if the speeding fines have increased to the point only young sports riders are willing to risk the bill?

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 10:17:21 AM by rocker59 »
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #97 on: April 21, 2017, 10:21:40 AM »
Here you go,far from dead.
http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/bmw-s1000xr-vs-ktm-1290-super-duke-gt-vs-mv-agusta-turismo-veloce

perfect example of why sport-touring motorcycles are dead...

The BMW and the MV are street-oriented ADVtouring bikes.

Ducati ST 2/3/4 carried the Sport-touring torch for years, then handed it off to the Motus MST.

The Motus MST is the very definition of a sport-touring bike a sport-touring guy would want to sport-tour on...

Ducati has positioned its new Supersport as a sport-touring machine.  I've not seen one yet, but if Givi makes mounts for the e35 bags for the new Supersport, I could get real excited!!!
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #98 on: April 21, 2017, 10:22:54 AM »
perfect example of why sport-touring motorcycles are dead...

The BMW and the MV are street-oriented ADVtouring bikes.

Ducati ST 2/3/4 carried the Sport-touring torch for years, then handed it off to the Motus MST.

The Motus MST is the very definition of a sport-touring bike a sport-touring guy would want to sport-tour on...

Ducati has positioned its new Supersport as a sport-touring machine.  I've not seen one yet, but if Givi makes mounts for the e35 bags for the new Supersport, I could get real excited!!!
Not to mention what are annual sales of those models? About the same as Guzzi? [emoji28]
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #99 on: April 21, 2017, 10:24:30 AM »
Not to mention what are annual sales of those models? About the same as Guzzi? [emoji28]

Yes.  Exactly.  Though I've not seen a recent pie chart, I'd venture that "sport-touring" motorcycles sell in  less numbers than even the "Adventure" bikes !!!
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #100 on: April 21, 2017, 10:45:44 AM »
Oh geez.  Sport touring is a motorcycle?  I thought it was the rider. As in, when I was in my 20's, I'd stick a toothbrush in my jacket pocket, hope on the Harley, and take off.  My dad used to say "so, Sport, you off touring again?"  Silly me!
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #101 on: April 21, 2017, 03:01:36 PM »
The local Ducati shop uncrated the new SS,  This one is the SSS (Ohlins bits).  Pretty bike but I am not a fan of murder white.  The also have a red base model that would probably more my speed. 

Looks fantastic.  Feels light (I didn't ride it).  The windshield raises into "touring position".  The riding position is close to my Bandit and not as extreme as my V11 Sport.  I started the bike and the sound is perfect, no way would I opt for an after market pipe.  Also has riding modes and options including hard saddlebags.

ebay photo hosting

John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #102 on: April 21, 2017, 03:27:17 PM »
^^^^ The Indy Ducati dealer has one, too. Looks nice, and if I didn't already have my wind up bikes I might be interested.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here