Author Topic: My old life is over...  (Read 15186 times)

Offline neverquit

• Hatchling
Re: My old life is over...
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2017, 10:42:17 AM »
In the original post Rick states "correctly oriented V-Twin".  I like that description and think I'll use it in the future.  Thanks Ricik.

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2017, 10:44:58 AM »
Pics of my new baby...

The bike does not have the OEM foot peg set up.  The Titanium and Aluminium were called Special Sports and had the driver pegs further back. 

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2017, 11:00:48 AM »
Don't let the possibility of mechanical issues scare you. Almost anything ever made has it's quirks and a lot of them are far more trouble than found on a Guzzi. Tell your friend to price a fuel pump fix on his Goldwing, he'll need a loan. Most eighties Japanese bikes are part time classics, our Guzzis we ride as daily drivers. Only in Guzziland is 2004 considered "recent".
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2017, 11:06:03 AM »
I certainly can see him falling for that bike!
Welcome, Rick!
Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2017, 11:06:03 AM »

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2017, 11:32:22 AM »
I *think* this is true. My memory is suspect, though. I'd have a valve cover off and look post haste, anyway.

Don't the dealers put a couple of punch marks next to the vin number on the crankcase after the fix?
Nice bike Rick. If you need any work on the bike there is a good wrench in East Aurora who used to work at the the late Al Gillen's shop in Holland. Good chance that bike came from Al's shop.

Pete

Online davevv

• Gosling
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2017, 11:45:35 AM »
Congratulations on a great bike.  I had this '03 for a couple years and it was a joy.  You're going to love it.
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."--Wyatt Earp
'94 BMW R1100RS, '20 BMW G310GS, 22 BMW F750GS

Offline Rick in WNY

• Gosling
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2017, 02:34:07 PM »
Thanks everyone... this is, hopefully, the start of one heck of an adventure for me. And if hearing all the "what could go wrong" stories haven't scared me off, I don't know what will.

Seriously, I appreciate all the info, sounds like doing my checks on it tomorrow will be relatively quick and make it easy to hand over the cash. I greatly appreciate all the help!

I'll have to take pictures when she gets home.
Guzzi Owner since May 20, 2017
  2004 California Titanium

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2017, 03:19:54 PM »
Thanks everyone... this is, hopefully, the start of one heck of an adventure for me. And if hearing all the "what could go wrong" stories haven't scared me off, I don't know what will.

Seriously, I appreciate all the info, sounds like doing my checks on it tomorrow will be relatively quick and make it easy to hand over the cash. I greatly appreciate all the help!

I'll have to take pictures when she gets home.

Ok, Rick.. one other thing. It's been alluded that Guzzis are "different." It is true. I've been riding them a long time and many guys have told me that when they bought their first Guzzi and rode away their first thought was, "what have I done?" After several hundred or thousand miles, they say, "They'll pry this Guzzi from my cold dead hands."  :grin: You will *love* the engine.. and after all, that is what a motorcycle is all about. Don't ride it like a Harley.. ride it like a Duck.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

pete roper

« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2017, 07:16:30 PM »
Methinks being a 2004 it should be good from the get-go but a quick squizz under the rocker cover will tell the tale on the valvetrain. Bottom yoke? Not so sure. Clutch should be a twin plater that year.

Pete

Offline Rick in WNY

• Gosling
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2017, 06:07:03 AM »
Checked the bike out yesterday, she's an early 04 but she has been into the shop to get the lifter fix. Popped the clutch inspection cover and... multi plate clutch. She's damn near bulletproof... so I brought her home.

I am... a very happy guy who now owns a Moto Guzzi.

Thank you everyone for the help, can't wait for tomorrow when I can put my fine Italian lady on the road.
  2004 California Titanium

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2017, 06:15:19 AM »
 :thumb: Another case of if you live long enough, something will turn out right.. :smiley: Congrats.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline hidn45

• Gosling
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2017, 02:27:45 PM »
Another in the fold!  Welcome.

Hope to see you both in Westfield in 3 weeks!
Y2K Bassa - "Benedetta" (sold)
1986 Cali II - "Moose"
1977 T-3 [formerly FB] - name TBD

MGNOC member # 22,000

Offline vibr8r

• New Egg
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2017, 08:46:29 PM »
Checked the bike out yesterday, she's an early 04 but she has been into the shop to get the lifter fix. Popped the clutch inspection cover and... multi plate clutch. She's damn near bulletproof... so I brought her home.

I am... a very happy guy who now owns a Moto Guzzi.

Thank you everyone for the help, can't wait for tomorrow when I can put my fine Italian lady on the road.

In case you didn't get a manual, Guzzi recommends 5w40 oil for the hydro engines.  Enjoy the ride. 

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2017, 12:01:24 AM »
In case you didn't get a manual, Guzzi recommends 5w40 oil for the hydro engines.  Enjoy the ride. 

Woo Hoo, the start of an oil thread. JUST KIDDING :evil:

Congrats on the new ride!!! You'r gonna love it!!

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2017, 01:23:01 AM »
Congrats on the bike.  :thumb:  Rev' it when riding.  Shift at 5K and cruise at 4k.  5th gear is overdrive and properly used will get you speeding tickets. 
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Rick in WNY

• Gosling
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2017, 08:07:46 AM »
Thanks vibr8r... but she did come with a manual... and an extra oil pan gasket. Can someone explain WHY they put the filter inside the pan? And how often do I need to change the fluids?

Remember, Guzzi Rookie here... I have a lot to learn!
  2004 California Titanium

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2017, 08:23:37 AM »
Congrats on the bike.  :thumb:  Rev' it when riding.  Shift at 5K and cruise at 4k.  5th gear is overdrive and properly used will get you speeding tickets.

I thought the Hydro motors were cam'd for lower rpm than the solid tappet Tonti Calis? And that said, IIRC even my Jackal was happy pretty much throughout the 3k rpm range, I don't think I held it at 4k often when cruising, even on the highway.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2017, 08:32:13 AM »
Thanks vibr8r... but she did come with a manual... and an extra oil pan gasket. Can someone explain WHY they put the filter inside the pan? And how often do I need to change the fluids?

Guzzi recommendation is to change the filter every 9K miles or once a year. Oil change every 3K miles. For most people, that means once a year to drop the oil pan and clean it out when changing the filter.. something you don't get to do on most engines. The other pro is it is invulnerable to damage there.
That's about it for the pros.  :smiley:
It's no big deal.. unless.. you don't have a lift or grease pit. I never gave it a thought until I was laying on the driveway in SoCal..then it became a PITA.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2017, 08:47:34 AM »

I believe the manual says change the filter every other oil change but I tend to do it every spring regardless of mileage.  Your bike should have the drain plug with the magnets on it so you can see if there's anything floating around.   I've never found anything on the plug or inside the pan worth worrying about.

One thing you might find is mayo from condensation in the oil. With cool temps and shorter days of winter I have found it when I drop the pan in the spring.   I've learned to take a long, hard ride before I drop the pan now.  That might result in a big puddle of puke from the airbox drain so make sure you park it where it's ok to mark your territory. 
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline Rick in WNY

• Gosling
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2017, 10:32:45 AM »
OK, so what's a good 5w-40 oil for the Guzzi? I'm tempted to use Shell Rotella T6... 5w-40, full synthetic.

Opinions?
  2004 California Titanium

Offline Bill Owens

• Gosling
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2017, 11:14:12 AM »
Here we go!

Offline Bill Owens

• Gosling
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2017, 11:22:55 AM »
Some will say to use an oil that specifies SG rating . That's what I use.

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2017, 11:29:03 AM »
Here we go!

Wait until we get to the Uni vs. all other filters too!

Anecdotal, but I've used Rotella T-6 for the 12 years I've owned my Hydro and through 3 different formulations from Shell.  It still runs.

George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2017, 03:27:46 PM »
Wait until we get to the Uni vs. all other filters too!

Anecdotal, but I've used Rotella T-6 for the 12 years I've owned my Hydro and through 3 different formulations from Shell.  It still runs.

To help the new guy out just like I was helped with my Hydro. Keep it simple. Shell Rotella t-6 full synthetic 5W-40 works and is priced right at most places. Can be had at wallyworld, auto parts stores and the like.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
2007 HD Street Bob

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2017, 05:06:18 PM »
Being a smallblock guy I don't have this "problem" :evil:, but is it time to mention the hose clamp?
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2017, 05:53:19 PM »
Sure!  Why not???   :evil:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2017, 05:58:46 PM »
Do it Muzz!! :evil:

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
2007 HD Street Bob

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2017, 07:18:21 AM »
I dunno. :undecided: I would hate the Wrath of Dusty to descend on Me. :cry: :wink:
03 Breva

Offline Rick in WNY

• Gosling
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2017, 07:46:10 AM »
Do I really want to know what this "hose clamp" is about?  :Beating_A_Dead_Hors e_by_liviu

2004 California Titanium

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2017, 07:53:17 AM »
Allright, I will! :angel:

Rick, the smallblock has the filter in it's own little hole with a cover, so I don't have to drop the sump. In your case as you have found out, you do. Although it is not from personal experience there are 14 screws around the outside and two in the pan somewhere. (Did I get that right guys?) Some have had the oil filter unscrew during use, which I understand is not good. :shocked: :cry: A fix in the usual Guzzi manner (cheap is good, free is better) was, once the new filter has been installed, clamp a hose clamp around it . I gather there are a couple of protrusions in the casting around the filter and the the screw on the clamp hits these and stops the filter unscrewing.

I can assure you, this is not in jest. If the filter does not unscrew itself, no harm done. If it does though, that hose clamp will save your motor.

Penderic probably has a photo of one installed, he has a photo of everything else! :grin:
03 Breva

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here