Author Topic: Why won't they do it ?..(for Kremmen)  (Read 30236 times)

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Why won't they do it ?..(for Kremmen)
« Reply #180 on: September 17, 2020, 02:53:54 AM »
The Millepercento is a total different kettle of fish.  Dynotec GmbH coaxes stupid amounts out of Guzzilla.
https://www.translatetheweb.com/?from=de&to=en&ref=SERP&refd=www.bing.com&dl=en&rr=UC&a=https%3a%2f%2fwww.dynotec.de%2f

I'm curious how many hours these engines are meant to run before a teardown.

Ciao
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #181 on: September 17, 2020, 03:48:33 AM »
I think the attractiveness of a road MGS, lay in the fitment of a Daytona or Griso engine.
If I knew my engine life was measured in hours, I wouldn’t find riding it enjoyable.
 I thought the attractiveness lay in the possibility of a Griso or Daytona motor going in the frame and the bolts going through. It would be a massive disappointment to have a drag with an Aprillia RSV 1000 and get hosed, it’s never been about performance bragging rights, just a solid mid range and looks to die for..
I bet if Pete Roper decided to do it, there’d be a massive ground swell of support.
I further bet my arse that if I had an MGS rolling chassis and a Stelvio or Griso motor, I would get it in and get the bolts through. The rest is ancillary equipment and engineer’s signatures.
People have succeeded with more outlandish pursuits than this..

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #182 on: September 17, 2020, 04:45:45 AM »
I think the attractiveness of a road MGS, lay in the fitment of a Daytona or Griso engine.
If I knew my engine life was measured in hours, I wouldn’t find riding it enjoyable.
 I thought the attractiveness lay in the possibility of a Griso or Daytona motor going in the frame and the bolts going through. It would be a massive disappointment to have a drag with an Aprillia RSV 1000 and get hosed, it’s never been about performance bragging rights, just a solid mid range and looks to die for..
I bet if Pete Roper decided to do it, there’d be a massive ground swell of support.
I further bet my arse that if I had an MGS rolling chassis and a Stelvio or Griso motor, I would get it in and get the bolts through. The rest is ancillary equipment and engineer’s signatures.
People have succeeded with more outlandish pursuits than this..

You would need a V11 gearbox and final drive, griso don't fit (V11's barely fit) you would need to do something about the charging system again griso system won't fit will most likely need to fit it to the front of the crank shaft and even then the motor might not fit, the belts on the mgs out the front are outside the frame pickups the extra width from the 8valve timing chains, and yes a RSV1000 V twin of the same era would hose you, the OG MGS motor will eat the RSV not some much in outright power but in mid range out of a corner. This is why I continue to say such a bike would be a massive disappointment and a complete sales failure similar to the V9 IMO.

Offline Kremmen

• New Egg
« Reply #183 on: September 17, 2020, 08:03:55 AM »

I read somewhere at one point they were expecting to shift 8000 units...per annum. I think there might have been some over-optimism there given Sport/Daytona figures were only, what, half that? For all years put together.

I can't even use half the capacity of my Sport so an MGS wouldn't be any kind of disappointment to me *but* I do recognise that's a crap rider talking.  :tongue: :laugh: I should have learned to ride at a younger age, I was 27 or something. Not counting chook chaser stuff when I was a kid.

I would defo like to know how to fit a Griso donk into a spiney without some horrible charging compromise because if it can be done it will deliver more reliable and usable real-world power at a fraction of the cost but all I have seen so far are track-only mods.

First set of goodies arrived today. Build the MGS 01 In Only Two Hundred Weekly Instalments!

Murray you are a jammy sod, I wish I had a whole bike's worth of these. God they are nice bits.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 08:10:37 AM by Kremmen »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #183 on: September 17, 2020, 08:03:55 AM »

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #184 on: September 17, 2020, 08:42:47 AM »
Probably included the road version and the thing cause a lot of fuss at the time, part of the same design exercise was a bike called the Griso which generated far less noise and that seemed to do ok. Frankly if you really wanted fitting MGS body work to a Griso frame would most likely be least path of resistance process. The frame of the MGS isn't just a revised Daytona or V11 frame, it is its own thing you won't get the balance or the handling but most likely pretty close. BTW there is a reason I'm driving around in an old car and my road bike isn't cutting edge.

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #185 on: September 17, 2020, 08:46:24 AM »
For goodness sake what is wrong with the Guareshci, I know I'm in a minority but I find it even better looking than the MGS and the frame is made to take a Griso engine.

It's a track bike too, but all that would be needed would be some lights and you'd be ready for the road.

They do a roadgoing version but they really screwed up the positioning of the projectors, it looks awful

All the track bike would need is one projector with either a "Halo" or an integral side light and then a tail tidy of some description

Even if you wanted the exhaust ala Ducati underseat a special could be made.

I don't get the groundswell for the MGS-01 for the road when a pretty close model is already out there.

I'm sure they are selling but they are in no way close to the number that seem to be saying that if Guzzi brought out an MGS style bike that had a Griso or Daytona engine they'd purchase in a hearbeat.

The MGS is pretty for sure but I very much doubt if Piaggo launched it, iit would sell in anything other than very limited numbers.

Sportbike owners would not pay Ducati money for a bike that would probably have about 50% of the power (if that and a shaft drive to boot). Personally I think anything over 100bhp and perhaps a good deal less is just froth when road riding, but you can't be the baddest Mothaf**a if your bike has only 1/2 the ponies of the other guys down the pub

I've looked into the MGS a little, it's a total one off, the frame I'll leave to Murray to comment about but even the engine is a very special one off. It is radically different to a HiCam in many many ways, even if it looks the same on the outside
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 08:47:08 AM by Old Jock »

Offline Kremmen

• New Egg
« Reply #186 on: September 17, 2020, 08:48:21 AM »
People were rabid for it, I was too. Seemed to wear off rapidly for most but I do think it would have outsold the Sport 1100 especially if they could have gotten it to market quicker than they did with the Griso.

Oh yeah. Two Hundred Weekly Instalments of Less Than $2000 Each! My car's 11 years old and set to get a fair bit older before anything changes.

Offline Kremmen

• New Egg
« Reply #187 on: September 17, 2020, 08:50:12 AM »
For goodness sake what is wrong with the Guareshci, I know I'm in a minority but I find it even better looking than the MGS and the frame is made to take a Griso engine.

The GC Corse? Pretty nice I think, not a fan of the tail but the rest is very decent. What is wrong with it?

Edit - slow on the uptake tonight. Answer: Australia. I can probably get away with just a fine if I'm caught on a modified V11 or Centauro. I could potentially even get the mods certified. But just putting lights and mirrors on a race bike isn't an option, if it was someone would have done it by now.

The Corse road bike isn't something Guareschi does as such, it was a single promo bike that was auctioned off IIRC. I didn't like the projectors either. I'd have it in a heartbeat anyway haha.

The MGS frame is really interesting. I can't use a real one but what I have drawn up so far might be a satisfactory compromise. Lets me use the airbox as intended, I'd like that. Spendy, heavier than a real one but not heavier than a normal spine frame.

As Murray says I might end up settling on just the cosmetics. The law changes all the time; this could end up being something that'd send me to jail for the term of my natural life before I get finished.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 09:16:24 AM by Kremmen »

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #188 on: September 17, 2020, 09:12:05 AM »
Kremmen

No idea what Austrailan rules are like, but the yeah trhe GC corse is a track bike, I haven't enquired but it's simply a Griso in a special frame and the road bike version is probably the same as the track bike with lights slapped on to make it road legal

I don't know if they still do it but they offered it as a kit where you took a donor Griso and added the Corse parts and bodywork.

In the UK you can do that sort of thing, then take the bike along to a VOSA testing center where they asses it for roadworthiness. Get by that hurdle and you can use it on the road (although you'll probably get stiffed for iinsurance).

That's for now though, with ever new regs making it tighter and tighter all the time who knows what will happen down the line and sooner rather than later. Makes me sad, that we're all exchanging our freedoms for staying safe,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,we're not goanna live forever whatever we might tell ourselves. May as well have some fun along the way

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #189 on: September 17, 2020, 09:14:20 AM »
My car's 11 years old and set to get a fair bit older before anything changes.

That's a third of the age of mine, although admittedly I could probably purchase a newer one with what the MC2 would sell for, but then I wouldn't have a MC2.

Offline Kremmen

• New Egg
« Reply #190 on: September 17, 2020, 09:17:47 AM »
I was waiting for the other shoe to drop.  :laugh: :laugh:

My 11yo car replaced a 20yo 323.  :tongue:

OTOH my oldest car will turn 100 pretty soon. I suppose it'd better stop being a shed queen for that!

« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 09:19:36 AM by Kremmen »

Offline Kremmen

• New Egg
« Reply #191 on: September 17, 2020, 09:27:12 AM »
No idea what Austrailan rules are like, but the yeah trhe GC corse is a track bike, I haven't enquired but it's simply a Griso in a special frame and the road bike version is probably the same as the track bike with lights slapped on to make it road legal

It's any CARC bike really, you can put QVs, 2Vs or anything in it provided you have the CARC 6-speed and drive. It's still available, I think it was only made available last year in fact? Maybe 2018.

In the UK you can do that sort of thing, then take the bike along to a VOSA testing center where they asses it for roadworthiness. Get by that hurdle and you can use it on the road (although you'll probably get stiffed for iinsurance).

Yeah. I don't envy the UK for the yearly MOT - had to do it last time I was there, right pain - but the kit car and bike rules are fantastic.

That's for now though, with ever new regs making it tighter and tighter all the time who knows what will happen down the line and sooner rather than later. Makes me sad, that we're all exchanging our freedoms for staying safe,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,we're not goanna live forever whatever we might tell ourselves. May as well have some fun along the way

Ever see the movie Idiocracy? If we DON'T allow some risk all the people who used to wipe themselves out early will go on to have kids instead. Be afraid, be very afraid. :tongue:

Offline blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #192 on: September 17, 2020, 11:04:49 AM »
Idiocracy - one of my favorites.
Blue Guzz

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #193 on: January 22, 2021, 09:53:39 PM »
Bumped for the benefit of Andyals.

Offline DaveJT

• Hatchling
« Reply #194 on: January 22, 2021, 10:11:37 PM »
Idiocracy - one of my favorites.

It’s got electrolytes
2000 Jackal

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #195 on: January 23, 2021, 06:48:12 AM »
i wasn't thinking of a hyperbike, just a great sport bike that you could squeeze everything out of with a great big honking torque band.

Im flashing back to the 1990's and Ducati 851's running toe to toe with the 750 supersports.   
Paul B

Offline blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #196 on: January 23, 2021, 07:28:54 AM »
Idiocracy should be required viewing by all 8th graders in the country.
Blue Guzz

Offline DaveJT

• Hatchling
« Reply #197 on: January 23, 2021, 01:40:09 PM »
Idiocracy should be required viewing by all 8th graders in the country.

Like in health class?  Everyone should watch it, if only so they understand the reference.
2000 Jackal

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here