Author Topic: Who likes a good wheel gun?  (Read 11303 times)

Offline slowmover

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Locked in the arms of a crazy life
Re: Who likes a good wheel gun?
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2017, 10:07:11 AM »
.32 cal. Colt ladies gun

Offline MotoChuck250

• Hatchling
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2017, 08:51:53 PM »
Mid '90s 686 .357, 6" BBL, Round Butt with Pachmayr grips to replace the Hogue that never felt right to me.  Made before S&W switched to the key lock gun safety.

Fun gun to shoot and it shoots much better than I do.  It mostly gets fed 38 spl DEWCs for paper punching.  The 6" BBL keeps it still fun to shoot whenever I ramp up to full boat .357 loads.

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2017, 09:40:44 PM »
Very nice MotoChuck250. I have a 1994 64-6 4" pre-lock. .38sp. only and non adjustable sights but still a very enjoyable revolver. Hey, not being all that far from me if you need a place to shoot PM me.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2017, 09:57:30 PM »
.32 cal. Colt ladies gun

Ladies?

Not if you're Bad, Bad Leroy Brown!

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2017, 09:57:30 PM »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2017, 10:08:33 PM »
Ladies?

Not if you're Bad, Bad Leroy Brown!

Todd.

Yeah, but that was just For Fun .....
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline john fish

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2017, 04:31:43 AM »
I've always wanted a Mark VI Webley but could never find a good deal on one.  Nice looking piece.

Thanks, Dan.  That's just a pic I stole from the web, but mine looks very nice, too.  It's a rather large and unwieldy handgun but a pleasure to shoot.  I always get a kick out of the ballistics.  From Wiki:

The .455 cartridge was a service revolver cartridge, featuring a rimmed cartridge firing a .45 bullet at the relatively low velocity of 650 ft/s (190 m/s). The result was a cartridge and handgun combination with relatively mild recoil. The .455 was rated superior to the .45 Colt in stopping power in the disputed United States Thompson-LaGarde Tests of 1904 that resulted in the adoption by the U.S. of the .45 ACP cartridge.[citation needed]

The .455 Webley cartridge remained in service with British and Commonwealth forces until the end of the Second World War.
He lost the run of himself.

Offline john fish

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2017, 04:39:39 AM »
Looks pleasant and useful to me.   What's unusual and unpleasant about yours?

Lannis

Mine was made during the Nazi occupation of Belgium and is marked as such.  It's fascinating historically but the markings don't appeal to me.

They were prized by the Germans and very popular with Skorzeny's men among others as it was the best handgun available at that time.  It's very comfortable to shoot and mine has never malfunctioned with the myriad of ammo I've run through it. 
He lost the run of himself.

Offline slowmover

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Locked in the arms of a crazy life
« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2017, 09:25:39 AM »
It seems a ladies gun because of the very small grip.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2017, 12:16:46 PM »
Mine was made during the Nazi occupation of Belgium and is marked as such.  It's fascinating historically but the markings don't appeal to me.

They were prized by the Germans and very popular with Skorzeny's men among others as it was the best handgun available at that time.  It's very comfortable to shoot and mine has never malfunctioned with the myriad of ammo I've run through it.

I wouldn't let the original Nazi markings bother me.   Treat them as a reminder that the rest of the world beat those bastards and they're all gone now.   And now you're enjoying shooting their gun and, if need be, will use it in a way diametrically opposed to what they would have done!

Lannis

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2017, 12:49:24 PM »
It seems a ladies gun because of the very small grip.

Very small grip, very small groups .... If a lady used that "ladies gun" to land a bunch of .32 holes on you, that would hurt ....

Lannis

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2017, 01:55:56 PM »
Thing about women and lethal force is that if a women decides to go that far they are more!? committed than a guy for such a deed, and no matter what they have in their little hand(s) those on the receiving end need to seek cover ...quick.

:-)

The "common" or "established" law in our state can sort of be summarized as "the first man to pull a gun is in serious trouble", the assumption (debatable though it may be) being that a man always has a fighting chance against another, similarly equipped man, and may respond to a fist with a fist, a stick with a stick etc.

The same is not assumed of a woman.   Experience recognizes that even a weak man is 2 to 4 times as strong as a woman, and that even an unarmed assault on a woman by a man can be considered a deadly one.   So a woman pulling a gun to defend herself against an unarmed man attacking her (domestic disputes aside) is assumed to be meeting deadly force with deadly force, at least to start with.

Be all that as it may, a woman who is comfortable with a .32 and who can (as a result of that comfort level) hit what she aims at is WAY better off with that .32 than a woman who flinches at the flash, bang, and recoil of a .38 +P, .357, .45, or other big gun and therefore would hesitate to use it if she had to ....

The ladies in the pic are plant guards at a defense plant in Detroit in WWII ... Rosie the Riveter's contemporaries!

Lannis

Offline jcctx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2017, 02:20:29 PM »
I have four; Mod. 19 in nickel with 4" barrel, mod. 13 with blue with 6", small frame Rossi blue 5 shot with 3", and a Hi-Standard 9 shot "Long Horn". The 19 is my favorite but the Rossi (copy of 1950s era S&W) is the one most often carried in the car. The 6" was my mother's house gun. The Hi-Standard was a gift from my dad in 1964 and was used when he traded for it. Also have a compact 9mm Star "super nine". Unfortunately, I seldom shoot any of my firearms as the nearest range is an eighty mile round trip. I do shoot my air pistols when the grandson comes (he is very good with them).

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2017, 02:49:51 PM »
Good points!

Although I haven't seen statistics on the subject in quite some time, the last I did see showed the kill ratio for women shootings regardless of what they are using  or what they were shooting at is much more deadly than for men.

In the bit of combat training,(marine combat school), I have the one big point that was stressed is that the "commitment" to kill is as important or more so than accuracy.
That was discovered during WWII and rectified to some degree for the VN conflict. (training in commitment)

Maybe should not have brought this up and sure don't want to launch a Google fest on facts and stories. If that happens...my apologies'.

I might add that this commitment also pertains to killing almost any critter, from deer to ground squirrels

:-)

That's a highly misleading comparison, but one I see often.  Think about it this way:  It's also a truism that there are more men than women shooting people with guns.  So if you've got 100 men blasting away and one kills another, that's a 1% kill rate.  If you have four women shooting and one kills another, that's a 25% kill rate.  The same number of people died for each number in that huge statistical difference.  I'm not saying those are the actual numbers, but you get the drift.

kirby1923

« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2017, 03:01:10 PM »
Got it.

...my apologies'.

I really didn't want this to happen but.

Actually the study was done concerning the reason(s) why statistically women seem to be more deadly, by looking at shootings involving women shooters'.

It examined two person altercations/incidents where a woman was the shooter,(and where a male was the shooter), and found that the chances of the incident turning fatal were statistically higher w/female shooters than male shooters.

Conclusion  reached was that when women reach a point where they decide to do something deadly they seem? to be more committed to carrying this action out. Now days I think they call that "hard wired".

Think about it, would you go thru child birth? That takes commitment.

Your example doesn't really fit this.

I have no internet search access and if I did I'm not sure I could locate this study 'cause not sure  where I saw it. Could have seen it in NM when I went thru the FFDO (federal flight deck officer training) several years ago.(guns in the cockpit).
We went thru many discussions on sizing up?/ predicting actions by  opponents and this may have been one of them.

Again my apologies for starting this, if you get my drift.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 06:34:46 AM by kirby1923 »

Frulk

« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2017, 09:33:35 PM »
I took up the .327 Fed Mag round approx. 3 years ago so I have a few of those laying around along with  revolvers that are spec chambered for .32 H&R. I reload for both rounds and really like them. Many will say the .327 Fed was an answer to a question that wasn't asked. Maybe that's true but chrono-ing a handgun round at 1600 FPS is still pretty cool.  Plus, with Henry now being the first manufacturer to FINALLY bring a .327 lever gun to market it puts me in the enviable position to have to add to my lever gun collection. 

And since Dan Wesson's keep coming up in this thread. Bought both of these guns from a friend whose son is an ex pat now living in New Zealand that is slowly liquidating his collection residing at his fathers house.  Never shot either one. Both are pretty pristine. Neither was a good buy. I paid what they were worth (more or less) because I found the H&R interesting and also because I'm a huge DW fan (have several that are used regularly) and it came as a pistol pack as well as 2 high quality holsters, and two aftermarket grips not usually available in the pistol pack.

Dan Wesson in .357 mag

H&R top break in 22 LR
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 09:35:18 PM by Frulk »

Offline hidn45

• Gosling
« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2017, 11:29:16 AM »
I inherited that H & R 9-shot top-break's daddy (then just called the '999') from my Dad.  It was the gun I learned to shoot a pistol with.  I also have another H & R 9-shooter, fixed frame, heavy barrel, target grips.  Heard someone say once that H & R's are like crack - once you try them you can't get enough.  Great little guns.  I'd thought about collecting them & Iver Johnson's back when they were dirt cheap, but that boat has sailed....

Yeah, must be a Guzzisti thing - the second handgun I ever bought was a Dan Wesson.  Had a choice between a Ruger Blackhawk .45 convertible, 4 5/8" or the 8" DW, but it was for hunting, so the .357 won out.  Sold in a stretch of hard times.  I've since picked up a .45 Backhawk, but I never had another DW.  They got pricey quick when the company had its own hard times....
Y2K Bassa - "Benedetta" (sold)
1986 Cali II - "Moose"
1977 T-3 [formerly FB] - name TBD

MGNOC member # 22,000

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2017, 12:12:31 PM »
Picked up one of the new Colt Cobra's yesterday.  Moving up from a Taurus 605.  This Cobra is very nice.  I don't care for the bead blast finish but that's my personal taste not the guns fault.  Shoots like a snubby should, really smooth trigger in double or single action.  The fiber optic sight is a nice touch.  Could be a little bigger LOL

A "little" bigger.

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2017, 12:30:55 PM »
My S&W M638 is a favorite here on the farm. It was nearly un-shootable at first, with a 14# DA trigger. I gave it a mild trigger job that got the DA down to a very smooth 9# that has proven to be perfectly reliable. I was so happy with it that I removed the internal lock and plugged the hole that was created, and put on a set of smooth boot grips. It's the handiest sidearm in the safe...

"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here