Author Topic: 79 Convert Rear Seal or Flange gasket  (Read 2596 times)

Offline JayDee24ca

• Gosling
79 Convert Rear Seal or Flange gasket
« on: August 14, 2017, 05:29:49 PM »
Here are a couple of photos of the rear flange on my 79 Convert. It was leaking a puddle every time I stopped, and the rear of the bike was getting pretty grimy as well. It was definitely not the transmission, torque converter, or crank breather.
It appears that the leak is from the rear seal only, but I am not 100% certain that there is nothing coming from the flange or the two bottom flange bolts. Should I, while I am in there, pull the rear flange and replace the gasket, or just leave it alone? Do the photos look like the flange gasket is leaking? There is motor oil at the juncture of the flange and seal, and a fair bit across the face of the seal. The back of the flywheel was dry.
JD

free unlimited photo hosting
'74 Nuovo Falcone
'79 Convert
79 G5
the rest are all gone.....

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: 79 Convert Rear Seal or Flange gasket
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 05:42:13 PM »
Just MHO, but when I'm "there" I replace gaskets, seal, epoxy the plug.. you know the drill. Besides that, it's much easier to replace the rear main with the bearing carrier on the bench. That way, you'll never have to go there again.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline JayDee24ca

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 06:18:22 PM »
Thanks Chuck. I'll pull the flange. Any sealant (grease) on the flange gasket or just put it in dry?
JD
'74 Nuovo Falcone
'79 Convert
79 G5

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 06:23:48 PM »
You'll get all kinds of answers on that one. I, personally, use a light wipe of aviation permatex on one side of the gasket. Others will tell you to use their spooge of choice on both sides of the gasket. Others say dry.  :smiley: It's kind of like an oil thread.. <shrug>  :smiley:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 06:23:48 PM »

Offline JayDee24ca

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 07:41:21 PM »
Chuck, are you talking Hylomar? The blue stuff? I have a tube of that, and this MIGHT be a good spot for it.
Got the bearing carrier/flange out with no alarms, but boy is that gasket ever stuck to the backside of it! Worse than snot to a doorknob. Managed to get it off finally with a few coats of paint remover (burnt my fingers with it, the old fashioned gel stuff) and a bit of red scotchbrite.
JD
'74 Nuovo Falcone
'79 Convert
79 G5

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 08:30:37 PM »
I use a light application of Permatex 300 or Permatex Aviation on both sealing surfaces (case and flange) and on the outer diameter of the seal too. Seal the bottom two bolts holding the flange to the case or they're leak (I use Hondabond 4). I'd recommend replacing the breather pipe gasket (Permatex 300 there too), and the aluminum crush washers on the oil return banjo bolt (I apply Hondabond there too). As Chuck said, JB Weld the cam plug while you're at it.
Charlie

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 08:41:29 PM »
Just MHO, but when I'm "there" I replace gaskets, seal, epoxy the plug.. you know the drill. Besides that, it's much easier to replace the rear main with the bearing carrier on the bench. That way, you'll never have to go there again.

I use a light application of Permatex 300 or Permatex Aviation on both sealing surfaces (case and flange) and on the outer diameter of the seal too. Seal the bottom two bolts holding the flange to the case or they're leak (I use Hondabond 4). I'd recommend replacing the breather pipe gasket (Permatex 300 there too), and the aluminum crush washers on the oil return banjo bolt (I apply Hondabond there too). As Chuck said, JB Weld the cam plug while you're at it.

Micro-picky?  Maybe.
Overkill?  possibly.
Really good advice?  Most definitely!

Covers the bases, CYA, and after 35 years or so, good preventive maintenance, imo.

Since you've got the gearbox out, doing the hydraulic drive seals and O-rings might not be a bad idea, either.  You can lose the torque converter snout seal and not show a leak.  I just did a rubbers refresh on one.  Found the stuff at NAPA, less than $20 for everything.

If you REALLY want to get picky, I'll bet your shift shaft o-ring is leaking, too.

$0.02

Offline chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 09:45:36 PM »
P.S. i casually got rid of the aft fluid during a seal and oring excursion only to discover the newer fluids suck for a vert. RK put us onto the mil spec fluid, but things changed when I starting using that. A little less push it seemed, but...I'd keep and reuse any old atf fluid that's stil clean and red if it's been working well for you.
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline JayDee24ca

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 10:13:45 PM »
RK, the hydraulic seals and orings in the trans and TC were all done a few months ago in my second tear down. I did not at that time go deep enough apparently, and that is why this third teardown has me chasing a bad rear main seal. Oh, and as a result of forgetting to refill the resealed transmission on the second teardown, and driving it for 109 miles, I am also now replacing the transmission with a freshly resealed used one......

The cam plug got a fresh coat of JB Weld this afternoon. Shift shaft has a new oring.

What is Hondabond 4? Is there a more common sealant that can be used? I have a drawer full of permatez varieties, and Hylomar, but no Yama or Hondabond.

Is the aviation goop that you guys are speaking of a non-hardening type? I ask simply because I wonder if it is the same thing as Hylomar, which is also used in the aviation industry I am told.
Thanks
'74 Nuovo Falcone
'79 Convert
79 G5

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 11:00:54 PM »
RK, the hydraulic seals and orings in the trans and TC were all done a few months ago in my second tear down. I did not at that time go deep enough apparently, and that is why this third teardown has me chasing a bad rear main seal. Oh, and as a result of forgetting to refill the resealed transmission on the second teardown, and driving it for 109 miles, I am also now replacing the transmission with a freshly resealed used one......

The cam plug got a fresh coat of JB Weld this afternoon. Shift shaft has a new oring.

What is Hondabond 4? Is there a more common sealant that can be used? I have a drawer full of permatez varieties, and Hylomar, but no Yama or Hondabond.

Is the aviation goop that you guys are speaking of a non-hardening type? I ask simply because I wonder if it is the same thing as Hylomar, which is also used in the aviation industry I am told.
Thanks

Hondabond 4 is virtually identical to Yamabond, both likely made by Threebond. Grey, non-hardening sealer. If you have a Honda or Yamaha dealer nearby, you can get it there, it's also available on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Honda-Hondabond-08717-1194-applications/dp/B00STVCWYY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502769020&sr=8-1&keywords=hondabond+4

Permatex 300 or Aviation are both brown liquids, come in a little bottle with a brush on the cap. Also non-hardening. I buy it at my local NAPA.
https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-80057-Super-Gasket-Sealant/dp/B000HBI9DM/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1502769490&sr=1-1&keywords=permatex+300
https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-80019-Aviation-Gasket-Sealant/dp/B000HBM3QQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1502769599&sr=1-1&keywords=permatex+aviation

I've used Hylomar a few times, always on British stuff (Land-Rover and Matchless G11CS). Not a fan of it.
Charlie

Offline JayDee24ca

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 11:30:45 PM »
Thanks Charlie, I'll head don to the hardware store in the morning and see what I can find. Yes, the reason I have the Hylomar was for the Jensen I had a few years back, a British car.
thx
JD
'74 Nuovo Falcone
'79 Convert
79 G5

Offline chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 05:40:39 AM »
P.S.S. My more experienced guzzi friend and mechanic Mike Duphiney, "Iron Mike" guessed a porous rear main bearing. And used the Hylomar to coat the flats there after a second excursion crabbing to replace a rear main seal was unsuccessful....wor ked
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 08:39:13 AM »
Any more, when I go that far in, I seal the case and pressurize it with a bit of air. Clean it well, and spray powder on the case. In a few hours, the leak will be very visible.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2017, 08:56:56 AM »
Any more, when I go that far in, I seal the case and pressurize it with a bit of air. Clean it well, and spray powder on the case. In a few hours, the leak will be very visible.

A bit meaning maybe 5 psi?

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline JayDee24ca

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2017, 05:36:36 PM »
I was unable to locate either the Honda bond or the Permatex 300 (only two possible outlets here in town), so I went with what I had, the Hylomar and a white Loctite thread sealant. Unfurtuantely, the small and only bike dealer in town (Honda) has taken his usual summer break for three weeks and the shop is closed until September.
I got things back together alright, no issues, however I am unable to determine if there are specific torque specs for the flange. I looked through the manuals for the Convert and SPII, and don't see any. What are your recommendations in that regard?
Thanks!
'74 Nuovo Falcone
'79 Convert
79 G5

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2017, 06:45:10 PM »
Just use a generic torque value for the bolts being used. I don't remember what they are. Torque evenly in a cross pattern, and you'll be fine.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline JayDee24ca

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2017, 07:25:57 PM »
Just use a generic torque value for the bolts being used. I don't remember what they are. Torque evenly in a cross pattern, and you'll be fine.

Done. Thanks Chuck.
'74 Nuovo Falcone
'79 Convert
79 G5

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here