Author Topic: Test Ride of H-D 114 Fat Bob  (Read 13925 times)

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
Test Ride of H-D 114 Fat Bob
« on: September 02, 2017, 10:06:54 PM »
Today I checked out the new 114 series of Softails that have replaced the now-discontinued Dyna series.  I had an extended ride on the new 114 Fat Bob and my reaction was – WOW.

The new engine, frame and suspension is better than anything they’ve made in the past. The stock 114 puts out an amazing amount of torque.  Out of the hole, the bike will best my 1200GS.

Gone is the rubber-mounted drive train.  The frame is very rigid and fixed when pushed hard on curves.

The suspension has more rear travel than any of the stock Dynas as well as the stock Touring models!   H-D is using a triangulated rear swing section with an adjustable shock under the seat. This set-up  very much resembles that of the Guzzi Daytona and V11 Sport series. It all works well.

In some ways, labeling these bikes “Softails” is a shame since they have very little in common with the previous Softail models.  That badge conjures up the hard suspension and limitations of the old Softail that is long gone now.

Would I buy one?  Not yet.  They are a little too “cruiserish” for me right now. I don’t like the forward pegs of pretty much all of them and I don’t like the cornering manners of the fat front tires as fitted to the bike I rode today.

The bikes have potential and the 114 engine is fantastic.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Test Ride of H-D 114 Fat Bob
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 10:23:25 PM »
Yup, good stuff. Glad you liked!

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 07:45:35 PM »
The Softail grows up!  Glad to hear they are giving it the suspension it deserves!
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 07:03:33 AM »

I'm not sure what you're trying to say with this. That's not the new one obviously.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 07:03:33 AM »

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 07:24:55 AM »
oops, my bad.. I was only trying to show a pic since the Op didn't.

MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 07:57:28 AM »
Ah ha ha BTDT.

Ironically I liked the out going one too and considered buying one as recently as when I picked up my RK.

I liked the dual LED tail light in the fender of the Dyna version as well as the dual discs and smaller/lighter chassis than the touring models.

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

oldbike54

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 08:07:26 AM »

Is that the new Star ?

Dusty

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 08:14:50 AM »
I love the irony when a guy who rides a bike with a flaccid whale penis for a tank tries to insult the looks of another bike.

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

oldbike54

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2017, 08:23:45 AM »
I love the irony when a guy who rides a bike with a flaccid whale penis for a tank tries to insult the looks of another bike.

That isn't an answer . AND who said it was an insult ?

Dusty

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2017, 09:26:05 AM »
Passive-aggressive much?

« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 09:50:34 AM by oldbike54 »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Socalrob

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2017, 09:41:33 AM »

Was at the HD dealer on Sat. To pick up a wedding gift for the young man marrying my niece.  He has a 883 Sportster. I got him LED lights.

Anyway, saw the new street and road glides, which look exceptionally nice.  Also say this new fat bob.  Pretty strange bike.  Like a cruiser scrambler.  I hope a reviewer gets it out in the dirt.

The Delux model had nice style too.  I think HD has some winners on their hands.  Now if matte flat paint will just go out of style.

oldbike54

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2017, 09:53:01 AM »
 My point is this , we have come full circle . The Japanese bike builders started copying the MoCo designs 30 some odd years ago , now the MoCo is borrowing from the Japanese .

Dusty

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2017, 10:36:10 AM »
Curtis motorcycles, discuss...
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2017, 10:40:49 AM »
Curtis motorcycles, discuss...

Perhaps you mean Curtiss Motorcycles, the  new name of Confederate Motorcycles?
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2017, 11:31:01 AM »
Oops forgot an S
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

canuck750

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2017, 11:38:30 AM »
My point is this , we have come full circle . The Japanese bike builders started copying the MoCo designs 30 some odd years ago , now the MoCo is borrowing from the Japanese .

Dusty

:1:

Or if you can't beat them join them.

I have had two great weekends riding in the Rocky Mountains of B.C. and Alberta and had lots of discussions with HD riders at various places. I had a long discussion with a fellow who was on a 2017 full dresser, I know nothing of the models, they all look the same to me but this one had water cooled heads and all the bells and whistles, set the guy back over $50K CDN. He was a long time HD owner and this bike was a major step up in performance and handling. On Friday I talked to another guy on a similar water cooled deluxe HD and he added the stage 3 performance package, was into the bike for just under $60K. He was able to keep up to my buddies 2008 Goldwing but the BMW just blew him away and I could have bought two Goldwings or two GTL Beemers for what the HD cost.

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2017, 02:47:09 PM »

Dusty
   You say this bike has styling clues from the Japanese?

I see styling clues from this bike just after WW2....Bobbed fenders front and rear, fat front tire and of course the fuel tank....

oldbike54

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2017, 04:31:50 PM »
   You say this bike has styling clues from the Japanese?

I see styling clues from this bike just after WW2....Bobbed fenders front and rear, fat front tire and of course the fuel tank....

The tires were never that fat ,  the exhaust systems that convoluted , or the seats shaped anything like that . The upside down forks are borrowed from the Japanese , as are several other styling cues .

Dusty

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2017, 04:51:56 PM »
OMG talk about fake news, USD = JAPanInc. styling? Someone better talk to BMW, Ducati, KTM, Guzzi, Triumph, ETC.

It's a stupid comparison like the rest of it.

There are no "borrowed" styling cues, they simply departed here and there from a few of their more traditional lines to make something more edgy while making it functional.

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

oldbike54

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2017, 05:07:21 PM »
OMG talk about fake news, USD = JAPanInc. styling? Someone better talk to BMW, Ducati, KTM, Guzzi, Triumph, ETC.

It's a stupid comparison like the rest of it.

There are no "borrowed" styling cues, they simply departed here and there from a few of their more traditional lines to make something more edgy while making it functional.

You are aware of the fact that sometimes you tend to be blind to the obvious . Yeah , the USD fork was not invented by the Japanese , but just how many Ducatis or KTM's were running wild on the streets 25 years ago ? It was the Japanese sportbikes that were ubiquitous , heck BMW didn't even build a sportbike back then . As for the fat tires on cruiser bikes , it was the Japanese that started that also , bikes like the Kawasaki Mean Streak were there first . Heck , one of the reasons HD's from 20 years ago felt lighter on their feet than Asian cruisers was that HD kept their tire sizes rational . Sorry if you can't see the cues that are so blatantly there .

Dusty

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2017, 05:13:54 PM »

Is that the new Star ?

Dusty
this is

Star Low Fat Bob

« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 05:16:20 PM by fotoguzzi »
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2017, 05:32:09 PM »
You are aware of the fact that sometimes you tend to be blind to the obvious . Yeah , the USD fork was not invented by the Japanese , but just how many Ducatis or KTM's were running wild on the streets 25 years ago ? It was the Japanese sportbikes that were ubiquitous , heck BMW didn't even build a sportbike back then . As for the fat tires on cruiser bikes , it was the Japanese that started that also , bikes like the Kawasaki Mean Streak were there first . Heck , one of the reasons HD's from 20 years ago felt lighter on their feet than Asian cruisers was that HD kept their tire sizes rational . Sorry if you can't see the cues that are so blatantly there .

Dusty
USD suspensions aren't a styling cue they're a functional choice.

The closest thing you have to an argument is that for decades JAPanInc. produced "cruisers" that where a bit like caricatures of Harleys so if Harley steps outside their usual styling cues they risk becoming caricatures of themselves.

But your points were patently ridiculous.

Fat tires are JAPanInc? Really?

The exhaust is JAPanInc?

[emoji23]
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

oldbike54

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2017, 05:35:30 PM »
USD suspensions aren't a styling cue they're a functional choice.

The closest thing you have to an argument is that for decades JAPanInc. produced "cruisers" that where a bit like caricatures of Harleys so if Harley steps outside their usual styling cues they risk becoming caricatures of themselves.

But your points were patently ridiculous.

Fat tires are JAPanInc? Really?

The exhaust is JAPanInc?

[emoji23]

On a cruiser bike yes USD forks are a styling cue , as are the use of those oversized tires .

Dusty

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2017, 05:46:36 PM »
On a cruiser bike yes USD forks are a styling cue , as are the use of those oversized tires .

Dusty
Maybe try riding before you decide.

Not everything Harley builds is automatically a cruiser, even if most have a cruiser bent.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

oldbike54

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2017, 05:53:08 PM »
Maybe try riding before you decide.

Not everything Harley builds is automatically a cruiser, even if most have a cruiser bent.

Actually with rational sized tires , and a rational seating position I'm sure it would be a wonderful motorbike in a 1990's kind of way  :evil: Look , we see this differently , you love HD's , I don't . Still, that doesn't change the fact that we have come full circle , NTTIAWWT  :laugh: Dusty

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2017, 06:01:34 PM »
Actually with rational sized tires , and a rational seating position I'm sure it would be a wonderful motorbike in a 1990's kind of way  :evil: Look , we see this differently , you love HD's , I don't . Still, that doesn't change the fact that we have come full circle , NTTIAWWT  [emoji23] Dusty
What you seem to fail to comprehend is that I LOVE MOTORCYCLES. I don't have a blind spot for any one brand though I do tend to enjoy more traits of some brands more than others.

Ironically I got very close to buying a new Virago instead of a new Sportster. The reason for strongly considering the Virago at the time was strictly functional/mechanical differences.

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

oldbike54

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2017, 06:08:45 PM »
What you seem to fail to comprehend is that I LOVE MOTORCYCLES. I don't have a blind spot for any one brand though I do tend to enjoy more traits of some brands more than others.

Ironically I got very close to buying a new Virago instead of a new Sportster. The reason for strongly considering the Virago at the time was strictly functional/mechanical differences.

Kev , I live and breath motorbikes also , my friends and family call me a monomaniac  :laugh:

One question , if the Virago was functionally superior , why did you buy the Sportster ?

Dusty
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 06:09:27 PM by oldbike54 »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2017, 06:16:23 PM »
Kev , I live and breath motorbikes also , my friends and family call me a monomaniac  [emoji23]

One question , if the Virago was functionally superior , why did you buy the Sportster ?

Dusty
I didn't say it was functionally superior, it had some functional design points that were better and some that were worse.

In the end I went with one that had more check marks in my wants column and most of those are functional considerations.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

oldbike54

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2017, 06:23:36 PM »
I didn't say it was functionally superior, it had some functional design points that were better and some that were worse.

In the end I went with one that had more check marks in my wants column and most of those are functional considerations.

More vibration , less performance , and weaker brakes ? It's OK Kev , we know you loooove HD  :evil:

Dusty

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2017, 06:28:57 PM »
More vibration , less performance , and weaker brakes ? It's OK Kev , we know you loooove HD  :evil:

Dusty
Now about the new Curtiss Motorcycles, why the name change?
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here