Author Topic: New Ducati- good & not so  (Read 16328 times)

oldbike54

Re: New Ducati- good & not so
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2017, 01:53:41 AM »

So what are you saying, Dusty, that you  don't mind if most Guzzi riders end up with personalities like Ducati & Harley riders?  Different brand MCs attract people with different personalities.  That's why MCs don't all look/aren't the same.  Different strokes for different folks.

What I'm saying is that you don't get to decide who is welcome here .

Dusty

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2017, 06:25:12 AM »
I'm OK with it. Plus it's your only option if you don't want to see a warning every time you start the bike. If I paid them to do the oil change the light reset would be included. I figure they have a significant investment in tools and training for the techs so it's a reasonable fee.

Technoresearch had been working on a code reader and reset tool, but that never seemed to work out. Ducatidiag worked for the older Ducs, but I don't think it works with modern electronics.

Again, Ducati=$$$, but worth it to some.
I thought there was an aftermarket solution by now. Maybe it's combined with a timing tool from Rexxer.

Unfortunately DucatiDiag (like GuzziDiag which I believe works on the same models) is designed for Weber-Marelli EFI systems and Ducati switched to Siemens sometime around 2008-10 or so.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 09:22:45 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2017, 08:24:38 AM »
Thumbs up to Dusty!  Not picking on you Wayne, but Dusty is spot on on this.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2017, 09:19:28 AM »
Seimens! You just put me off Ducati for life.

Sent from my shoe phone!
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2017, 09:19:28 AM »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2017, 09:23:22 AM »
Seimens! You just put me off Ducati for life.

I think I've noted it here before but Jenn's Ducati has run flawlessly without the slightest hint of a fueling problem since we bought it new in 2011. I'm just saying.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 09:23:44 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2017, 11:58:16 AM »
No one is talking about the new Superbike V4 with offset crank and stuff I don't understand.

John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

oldbike54

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2017, 12:06:22 PM »
No one is talking about the new Superbike V4 with offset crank and stuff I don't understand.

Too many cylinders  :rolleyes:

Dusty

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2017, 12:24:20 PM »
Too many cylinders  :rolleyes:

Dusty

That's in your opinion, Dusty, which you are welcome to have.  :tongue:

oldbike54

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2017, 12:44:08 PM »

Yep , notice I didn't say we should shun John for asking the question .

Dusty

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2017, 12:57:10 PM »

"Dusty opinion and welcome to have"?  ahhh, I am not so sure.

Someone save us.    :rolleyes:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

oldbike54

« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2017, 01:17:33 PM »
"Dusty opinion and welcome to have"?  ahhh, I am not so sure.

Someone save us.    :rolleyes:

Two words , counter steering .

Dusty

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2017, 01:20:55 PM »

Dusty

Counter steering? No such thing :laugh: 34 years? How many years parked?
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2017, 07:20:09 PM »

Dusty

I'll might crashhhhh !

Keep your opinions to yourself.
John L 

oldbike54

« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2017, 07:28:19 PM »
I'll might crashhhhh !

Keep your opinions to yourself.

No .

Dusty

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2017, 07:32:46 PM »
well then, see how that counter steering works our for ya.    :azn:
John L 

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2017, 07:07:10 AM »
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline kirb

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2017, 07:41:09 AM »
Now, the not so good. 
He said that the computer oil-mile counter will put the bike in "limp mode" (20 mph) unless a dealer resets the oil-mile counter. 

This is not true on any Multistrada or Diavel I am aware of, sorry.

I have a Diavel and performed the desmo service myself (includes valve check, belts, plugs, oil, etc) at 15k miles. It took a few thousand miles after the service for me to get the light reset at the dealer. The reset cost me ~$45. The bike never goes into any limp mode. Non-DVT engine.

A friend has a Multi. He never resets the service light and only does the work himself. Never goes into limp mode. Non-DVT engine.

Forum searches show that it is most likely a throttle position sensor or the box connected to the twist grip might be faulty and this sometimes goes away.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2017, 09:59:32 AM »
This is not true on any Multistrada or Diavel I am aware of, sorry.

I have a Diavel and performed the desmo service myself (includes valve check, belts, plugs, oil, etc) at 15k miles. It took a few thousand miles after the service for me to get the light reset at the dealer. The reset cost me ~$45. The bike never goes into any limp mode. Non-DVT engine.

A friend has a Multi. He never resets the service light and only does the work himself. Never goes into limp mode. Non-DVT engine.

Forum searches show that it is most likely a throttle position sensor or the box connected to the twist grip might be faulty and this sometimes goes away.

next time we see the guy, we'll tell him it never happened. 

I'll add that the discussion indicated that Duc had inserted the limp mode restriction on recent model year (not sure which). 

I might share my discussions with the local Duc store regarding my inquiries regarding the new SS.  I specifically asked them about first service.  The service manager would not give me a cost.  The first "service" is an oil change and inspection of previous set up and assembly tasks.  Instead, he just said 2-3 hrs + materials.  I guessed "that should be about $240?"  He said "that sounds about right."  I really wanted to do the oil change myself since I was planning a trip but he didn't give me a warm fuzzy about voiding the warranty.  Anyway, back to the limp mode rider, he said that the same dealer has never touched his bike for less than $400.  I don't feel they were straight with me.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 10:02:40 AM by LowRyter »
John L 

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2017, 10:06:38 AM »
This  thread is giving me good reason to keep my antique Cali III and Royal Enfield forever. Both are like the last bikes sold in the USA with points ignition! Both very easy bikes to service.
yeah, I might be addicted to brake fluid. But I can stop any time I want.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Conti GT

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2017, 11:50:10 AM »

....He said that the computer oil-mile counter will put the bike in "limp mode" (20 mph) unless a dealer resets the oil-mile counter....

Hmm....
My 2016 Monster went into 'limp mode'  because of a throttle sensor problem.  As I recollect limp mode is RPM restricted, not MPH restricted.  It would not run over 4,000 rpm, which meant top speed on a level road was about 55 mph.  Not an optimal situation, but better than 20 mph.
Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2017, 05:09:45 PM »
Mike,  you might just run the ol' Monster over the oil minder limit and see.   :grin:
John L 

Bonaventure

« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2017, 02:19:43 PM »
They've also used Mitsubishi ECU's and more recently Bosch on their bikes that have the new lean-angle modulated ABS.  The Mitsu ECU's were used as recently as model yr 2014 on the variants of the 1198 testastretta 11 degree engine, and tuners have been able to get into them for a while but the Bosch ECU's are still, AFAIK, not been cracked yet. 

Neither my 2013 (mitsu ecu) nor my 2016 (bosch ecu) Multistrada 1200 went limp mode upon the service due light illuminating...

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2017, 05:06:05 PM »
Vibe I get from Ducati these days is that if price is an issue, please look elsewhere.  They aren't looking for you as a customer.
No new Ducs in my near future!
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2017, 06:10:31 PM »
Nic,  that's the vibe I get from my local dealer. 

I am upfront and say that I am not a retail buyer and then I asked the service manager the cost of the initial service (and get the runaround).  They don't really wanna talk to me anymore. 

And then I check Cycle Trader and see that every Duc dealer in the country has a new SS with Ohlin's package (very few basic bikes out there but a glut of loaded ones). 

Time is on my side since we're moving into the fall.  And time might have saved me since I won't buy a bike that goes into "limp mode" because I want to change my own oil. 
John L 

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2017, 12:35:19 AM »
I got Ducati fever back when they made those sweet white framed 900SS   

:drool:  But, I saved myself a lot of grief. I bought a maintenance manual, thumbed through it, and said, "NOPE!"  I love to look at them and hear them run. That will be enough.  :wink:
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2017, 05:44:52 AM »
Not for nothing, but as a third or fourth bike you get to enjoy a Ducati with nothing more than annual oil changes and a belt/shim service every say 5 or more years.

No one said you had to put 10-20k miles per year on it.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline rss29

• Hatchling
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2017, 06:06:20 AM »
Nic,  that's the vibe I get from my local dealer. 

I am upfront and say that I am not a retail buyer and then I asked the service manager the cost of the initial service (and get the runaround).  They don't really wanna talk to me anymore. 

And then I check Cycle Trader and see that every Duc dealer in the country has a new SS with Ohlin's package (very few basic bikes out there but a glut of loaded ones). 

Time is on my side since we're moving into the fall.  And time might have saved me since I won't buy a bike that goes into "limp mode" because I want to change my own oil.
If you can forego the Ohlins you'll save $1800 or so. And if you buy before Sept 30 they have a deal where you get free saddle bags with the base model. That's about a $1500 option. Unless you want white, then you have to get the S model.

You'll have a hard time finding much of a deal on a SS. They are selling really well. My dealer says he has already pre sold their initial allocation of 2018s.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2017, 09:40:19 AM »
If you can forego the Ohlins you'll save $1800 or so. And if you buy before Sept 30 they have a deal where you get free saddle bags with the base model. That's about a $1500 option. Unless you want white, then you have to get the S model.

You'll have a hard time finding much of a deal on a SS. They are selling really well. My dealer says he has already pre sold their initial allocation of 2018s.

I haven't heard about the free bags but that would be the deal I would want.  But, I am not so sure about what you say.   If you check online there is a glut of S models and very few base models.  And if they are selling well, why are there so many available?  And so few base models?

My local shop sold the initial SS deliveries but have had two S models on the floor for a couple of months. Despite this, I wrote about my experience that they weren't willing to deal or even price out the first service.  Dealer also said that they expect to get a base model soon.  If they threw in the bags, that might be the deal I would be interested, even though it is a month too late. 

But if the service deal is true about the oil minder, I won't even consider one.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 09:41:19 AM by LowRyter »
John L 

Offline rss29

• Hatchling
« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2017, 09:59:46 AM »
I haven't heard about the free bags but that would be the deal I would want.  But, I am not so sure about what you say.   If you check online there is a glut of S models and very few base models.  And if they are selling well, why are there so many available?  And so few base models?

My local shop sold the initial SS deliveries but have had two S models on the floor for a couple of months. Despite this, I wrote about my experience that they weren't willing to deal or even price out the first service.  Dealer also said that they expect to get a base model soon.  If they threw in the bags, that might be the deal I would be interested, even though it is a month too late. 

But if the service deal is true about the oil minder, I won't even consider one.
They're out there, but deals are hard to come by. I want a white SS as well, but since I refuse to pay full retail I guess I'll have to wait until the initial rush wears off.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2017, 10:12:26 AM »
I lusted a little at a white SS in Indy when I went down to buy fork seals and outrageously priced fork oil for the Mighty Scura. Decided that while I'd look good on it.. I wouldn't look all *that* good.  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here