Author Topic: The Chronicles of V7iii  (Read 13530 times)

Offline rider33

• Gosling
Re: The Chronicles of V7iii
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2017, 09:50:53 PM »
I haven't hit that yet, then again it's a newish bike on newish rubber and now it's cold.  My Bonneville's side stand had a penchant for asphalt.  On any tight 'S' curve, say in the Needles Highway, it would ground out regularly.  Oddly, it was always the kick lever that did it, and I never understood why it had to be out quite that far.  I had intended to do a little foundry work on that but I sold it before I had the chance.  The only thing I notice about the iii side stand lever is that it's further back than on about any other bike I've had, like it was set for rear set pegs but for the more neutral seating position variants they just left it there.
"some journeys continue long after movement in time and space has ceased"  -Steinbeck

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2017, 07:17:46 AM »
I agree the V7III is a great bike. But I learned yesterday that if you get a bit aggressive you will absolutely ground the kick stand. The round foot assist is now flat. From the ball to the bend it is now flat on one side. Front side. The sound was nerve rattling first  time. I raised the suspension a bit, but on tight back roads it drags on left hand turns and not even that fast. Overall I like the  bike, reset the shift point light to 6500 and omitted that distraction.

I don't know if the ground clearance is less than my 2014 V7 Special (what do you call the 2013-2015 V7, a V7 1.5?), but, I've ridden it, and my 2013 V7 Racer pretty aggressively, and never ground the side or center stands.    As a point of disclosure, I do have the euro side stands on both bikes (to avoid conflict with the center stand).

Maybe you need lean your body into the turn some to keep the bike from leaning too much when cornering at higher speeds?

Maybe others can comment on euro vs. US side stands and cornering clearance, or if there is even a difference in side stands between US and Euro bikes on the V7III (or V7II for that matter).
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2017, 07:19:23 AM »
Maybe you need lean your body into the turn some to keep the bike from leaning too much when cornering at higher speeds?

Shhhhhh, you're going to ruin some hero's days with practical talk like that.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline rider33

• Gosling
« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2017, 08:05:51 AM »
I've seen the reference to earlier V7's needing the European side stand when the center stand is installed.  I thought that was odd as I believe Guzzi introduced the center stand to the industry, you would think since they have the most experience with them, they would have thought thru any complications.  'Come to think of it maybe that's what the iii side stand lever is so far back, 'can't see how it would interfere with any center stand.  If mine ever gets here I guess I'll find out.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 08:07:30 AM by rider33 »
"some journeys continue long after movement in time and space has ceased"  -Steinbeck

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2017, 08:05:51 AM »

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2017, 02:34:16 PM »
My is the V7 Stone 2015...literally the last year before they switch over to V7ii

anyway, before installing the center stand, the kick stand clears and I was able to lean quite well...almost touch my foot one time when banking left.

but now with the center stand in, my NA side stand actually touched down once as it does not retract fully due to the inference of the center stand.

really need surprise me when it...do plan to get Euro stand to solve that issue.
Life isn't WHAT IS at the end.
It is HOW and WHAT you are doing to get there.

03 Honda Shadow Spirit - The Purple Beast (SOLD)
15 Guzz V7 Stone - The Red Chick (SOLD)
18 BMW R1200GS Rallye - The Blue Streak (SOLD)

Currently Bikeless...*cry*

Offline rider33

• Gosling
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2018, 11:43:51 AM »
so the center stand (OEM) finally made it here.  It's way too cold to put it on right now (-10F) but the instructions anyway don't say anything about needing to replace the side stand, we'll see.  'Stout bit of kit tho, it will stand up on its own:
Lc93pp.jpg
another bit that finally arrived are the Slingshot Racing peg lowering set.  These are nicely made and have a range of adjustment both for how long the arm is (two settings) as well as clock-wise rotation of where the peg sits (forward/back/etc).  Maybe when it gets above zero I'll pop those on.
q0UdZA.jpg

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2018, 12:14:04 PM »

another bit that finally arrived are the Slingshot Racing peg lowering set.  These are nicely made and have a range of adjustment both for how long the arm is (two settings) as well as clock-wise rotation of where the peg sits (forward/back/etc).  Maybe when it gets above zero I'll pop those on.
q0UdZA.jpg

Them lower pegs look nice!... :thumb:

Mind share where you get these puppies and P/N?

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2018, 12:35:42 PM »
I think both the OEM and H&B center stands leave the side stand in place. 
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline rider33

• Gosling
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2018, 12:38:13 PM »

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2018, 12:42:33 PM »
Here ya go on the pegs:

https://www.slingshotracing.net/catalog/moto-guzzi-v7-ii-iii-cnc-billet-aluminum-adjustable-footpegs-p-1612.html

And on the stand, I hope so :)

Thank you sir!...

Love how they put Moto Guzzi under "other brands"... :shocked:

Offline rider33

• Gosling
« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2018, 02:35:03 PM »
I think they speak Italian but with more of a Ducati accent than Guzzi.
AF1 carries them as well tho I'm not sure they have as many color combinations.
They do have, however, a Moto Guzzi & even V7iii tab...

Offline davedel44

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2018, 03:33:10 PM »
Handlebar is a Bikemaster Daytona bend # 110551 (black), available on line and at dealers.

Did you have to modify brake/clutch/throttle etc.. to fit new bars.

Dave
Galveston
Bambino- 2013 V7 Stone

Offline rider33

• Gosling
« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2018, 10:28:09 AM »
I'd like to hear the answer to that one as well but at $25/list I might just give it a try anyway.

https://bikemaster.com/daytona-handlebars.html

I'd like to get the Anniversario bars up and back a bit but the dog bone bar clamp is too pretty to mess up with I'll-matched risers.  Bars may be a cost effective work around, particularly if no new cabling is needed,  the benefit of having std. tubular bars's vs cast- 'always 101 options on bend.

Offline rider33

• Gosling
« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2018, 03:14:43 PM »
ok, here are the lowering pegs vs stock:
2TMLGo.jpg
and stock on the bike vs the new. lowering pegs:
d97kbb.jpg
tX9DUL.jpg
All-in-all I'd say they provide a nice extension of leg room
with a lot of adjustablity (1 or 1.5 drop, forward or back rotation
of arm, angle on peg).   Nice kit at a good price.

Offline DaSwami

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2018, 09:55:28 PM »
Readin all this I must be the only one who thinks the v7-iii is far from an improvement on the v7-ii.

I am 6'4" (with long legs) and found the ergonomics of the v7-ii to be perfect. The v7-iii is too cramped for me.

Thanks for posting this....I'm 6'4" too but with shorter legs, the V7II with a built up seat is perfect also.   I have been wondering aloud if the V7III has tighter ergos, some have posted to the contrary. 

Guess I need to sit on one, but none within 300 miles of me...

Offline rider33

• Gosling
« Reply #75 on: January 07, 2018, 08:18:24 AM »
what the iii does is to change the peg and engine position slightly I believe, the engine is a bit more forward, the pegs a bit lower.  It does have, however, a slightly lower seat.  To me it feels a lot more open but if you have really long legs I can see where the lower seat might offset the other gains.  Then again it's a lot easier to raise a seat than it is to move an engine.  Personally, I almost always wind up
lowering the pegs anyway (see above) so the added knee room was most welcome.  In all things ergo tho YMMV so you'd need to sit on one.  Sitting on the i, ii, and, iii back-to-back the differences where not hard to spot.  The iii was the first modern Guzzi that felt comfortable to me.  The V9 is actually a bit better in that regard but I was looking for a more classic look.

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2018, 06:24:07 PM »
This thread is interesting. I bought a V7 III Racer last July. I have been wanting one more new Guzzi for a few years; b4 I can no longer get a leg over. I still have 4, btw. Been waiting for MG to make mildly significant changes to the V7 series. Nearly all my bikes, over the last 65 years have been sport or race bikes with added functions to ride on the street.
With the help of Jim Hamlin, in CT, I chose the Racer to get better rear suspension, had him add K-Tech inserts to the forks, adj. levers, Verde Legnano bars, an all metal fuel filter, NGK spark plug caps (slight mod needed). We swapped the wire wheels, which I love (still have 2 bikes with wires), for cast wheels. All the above for a better, safer(?), more reliable ride.
I truly dislike anything that appears to be made from coal dust and have no intention of riding a motorcycle so hard to see. Who has 24 hrs. of daylight, anyway.
This winter the body work will be painted (including both fenders and side panels, the wheels will be powder coated and an Anniversario seat will likely replace the brown NOS, racer seat.  Good Fortune,  B~

Offline rider33

• Gosling
« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2018, 03:35:06 PM »
in case anyone was wondering,  the oem center stand for a V7iii works just fine with the stock side stand, no interference.  In case you are going to put one on, a few tips not in the instructions:

- you are going to want to pull the left side muffler.   Not only does it make it easier to get at the pivot bolts but ultimately the new stand stop attaches to the inside edge of that muffler
- the main pivot bolt is about 8” long and runs thru a tube on the bottom of the bike.  Basically you are removing that tube and replacing it with a pivot tube built into the new stand.  That will be a lot easier if you loosen (but not remove) the frame bolt  just above the long bolt on BOTH sides.  That lets the frame open up a bit so the new stand & pivot tube can be put in position
- if you have ever put on a stand spring w/o the benefit of a spring puller do yourself a favor and get one, it makes that a lot easier
- and yes, you can do it while the bike is on the side stand but having done so I’m pretty sure a lift table would have been a much better idea....
mZsvJO.jpg

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #78 on: April 22, 2018, 04:19:54 PM »
Stock seat on my Mk3 Stone is comfortable but a trifle low for my taste. Only have a 30" inseam but my knees prefer just a little less bend. May consider having an inch or so of padding added to the seat OR

May upgrade to longer shocks. The stock ones seem to perform well enough once the preload is set but a little more travel would be nice. Mk 2 uses an inch longer shock and while I wouldn't go with an OEM unit (heard they're harsh) an Ikon or Hagon in the Mk 2 length may fix a couple things.

Added a 1.5" bar riser which makes the stock ones work for me. May try the Daytona bars as well.
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here