Author Topic: If you had to, how far could you ride in one stint?  (Read 15047 times)

Offline ratguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
    • road kill
Re: If you had to, how far could you ride in one stint?
« Reply #120 on: January 01, 2018, 07:26:05 PM »
You ought to send that one to Martha.  She might send you a plate of brownies for the testimonial.   :food: :afro:
Maybe laced with pain killing herb!
JB
John Boettcher
Wonder Lake, IL

"I'll quit riding when they pry the handgrips out of my cold dead fingers"

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #121 on: January 01, 2018, 07:29:12 PM »
Well, that was implied.   :boozing:

Offline john fish

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #122 on: January 01, 2018, 08:45:27 PM »
I couldn't do that on a Jackal... Not with the stock seat!!! [emoji33]

:laugh:  I have an Airhawk with an extra inch of padding.  Still, lots of nsaids would be needed. 
He lost the run of himself.

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #123 on: January 02, 2018, 04:19:21 AM »
In October 2008 I rode my 1200 Sport to Barber for the Vintage festival.  I tried to ride the entire distance back to Bellows Falls, VT(1,200 miles) in one shot.  The temp when I rolled through Knoxville was 40 degrees and a steady ran was falling.  By Roanoke it was in the 30's and the rain switched back and forth to snow.  I was soaked through and miserable.  I didn't have heated gear.  It was 10 or 11pm by the time I hit PA and salt/sand trucks were on the interstate.  Eventually a State Trooper pulled me over and told me to get off the road somewhere near Lancaster.  I only ended up doing about 830 miles but 600+ of it was in sub 40 temps in the rain, on a bike with no wind protection.  I was so tired that when I pulled in front of the hotel I forgot to take my feet off the pegs and almost dumped the bike at a standstill.  That was the single most miserable day of my motorcycling life.

On my V-Strom, which had handguards an Airhawk and the largest Cee Bailey shield, I did many 600 mile days in complete comfort.  That's with no interstate riding at all.  It's amazing what a little weather protection and heated gear will do. 

I rode 600 miles in a day on my California Touring last Fall.  It wasn't fun.  The windshield creates a lot of buffeting above 60.  It's like getting your helmet slapped back and forth all day.  With the right windshield I could probably do 800 miles before I felt like I had to get off the bike.  I think the cruise control adds at least a hundred miles to my mileage potential because I've got mild carpal tunnel in my right hand.  A 1,000 mile day with the bike set up right would be possible but I wouldn't enjoy it.               

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #123 on: January 02, 2018, 04:19:21 AM »

Offline brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #124 on: January 02, 2018, 08:31:42 AM »
I just checked the mileage, and it looks like I rode ~2k miles in 2 days back when I bought my Cal 2 auto from a guy in Columbus, OH, fly-n-ride back to Phoenix. I only took interstate from Columbus to St. Louis, 2-lane rest of the way from there. No WAY could I do that now, I don't even know how I did it then on that beautiful but oh-so-miserable Cal 2 seat and those awful swoopy bars (changed those out quick).

That was the single most miserable day of my motorcycling life.

Been there, done that. I was coming back from Boston to St. Louis after Thanksgiving one year and the rain turned to snow in Columbus, OH. I was scared _itless riding on the highway, in addition to being frozen solid and stiff. I was dreamily thinking about how warm those people in their cars were, looking at me like I was an idiot (I was).

The windshield creates a lot of buffeting above 60.  It's like getting your helmet slapped back and forth all day.  With the right windshield I could probably do 800 miles before I felt like I had to get off the bike.  I think the cruise control adds at least a hundred miles to my mileage potential because I've got mild carpal tunnel in my right hand.  A 1,000 mile day with the bike set up right would be possible but I wouldn't enjoy it.                     

Ditto on the windshield, can't abide a windshield that causes head-buffeting.
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Offline ratguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
    • road kill
« Reply #125 on: January 02, 2018, 09:02:16 AM »

Ditto on the windshield, can't abide a windshield that causes head-buffeting.

People laugh but that's why I drilled a 1000 holes in the Guzzi barn door windshield. Blocks 90 % of the wind and eliminates almost all buffeting. I can run 75 mph wearing a baseball cap and sipping a pepsi.
JB
John Boettcher
Wonder Lake, IL

"I'll quit riding when they pry the handgrips out of my cold dead fingers"

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
« Reply #126 on: January 02, 2018, 10:10:46 AM »
1 hour
HA!  That's about right.  :thumb:

Although this post asked how far could you do today if you had to, I have enjoyed reading about other WG member's truly epic past exploits. 

I'm too new to riding to be able to answer beyond "until its time to stop", and I haven't had the opportunity to reach that point yet.  I've daydreamed of doing an Iron Butt 1000 between Phoenix, and my hometown in northern Cali's wine country (830-ish + filler miles), but it'll never happen.       
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 10:11:50 AM by Guzzi Gal »
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here