Author Topic: If you had to, how far could you ride in one stint?  (Read 15048 times)

Offline flip

• Gaggle Hero
  • Aprilia Caponord 1200, Aprilia Shiver, gone MG B11
Re: If you had to, how far could you ride in one stint?
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2017, 09:51:20 PM »
Coming home to North Carolina from the Canadian National Guzzi rally a few years ago, I did just over 1000 miles in 21 hours on my Breva 1100.
North Carolina

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2017, 10:34:28 PM »
There's a guy called Dave Jones (dec), here in Oz who set a record for Darwin to Port Augusta.
23 Hrs 40 min.
Did not exceed the posted speed limit for 2,723 km.
Kawasaki GTR 1400.
A large portion of the trip has a 130 kph limit and the rest is 110 kph.
Died in Canada on an Iron But ride.
Hit a moose... :clock: :bike-037:
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 10:35:39 PM by Huzo »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2017, 10:36:36 PM »
I've never done more than 1100.
Was glad enough to get off..
Hungry.

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2017, 11:34:27 PM »
There's a guy called Dave Jones (dec), here in Oz who set a record for Darwin to Port Augusta.
23 Hrs 40 min.
Did not exceed the posted speed limit for 2,723 km.
Kawasaki GTR 1400.
A large portion of the trip has a 130 kph limit and the rest is 110 kph.
Died in Canada on an Iron But ride.
Hit a moose... :clock: :bike-037:

Davo was a friend of mine - not a close friend, but a regular correspondent and participant in the Motorcycle Tourers Forum over on Delphi. He was participating in the 2009 Iron Butt Rally (the 11-day Big Dance) and had just crossed from Canada back into the US. He had taken off his helmet while dealing with the border staff, and for some unknown reason did not put it back on when he left the crossing station. Not long after this he hit a deer (which in that part of the country are dang near as big as some moose). The helmet wasn't required by law, but it was required by the rules of the event, so there's no knowing just why he didn't put it back on.

A discussion of the event is at http://forums.delphiforums.com/mctourer/messages/?msg=39398.1

Davo was a great guy, a great rider, and had an enthusiasm for life and for long distance riding that few can match.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2017, 11:34:27 PM »

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2017, 12:16:59 AM »
Longest 1 day bike ride I've ever done is 800 mi. on my MuZ 660 single from Ramona, Ca to Yuba City, Ca. for a Guzzi Rally in December about 10 years ago.   When I'm riding 1 or 2 up I usually put in 500 mi. days and only during daylight.  But have found touring multiple days 300-400 a day is more comfortable.  Otherwise I get too tired going longer.  Usually average  50 mph per day.  It's surprising I find my MuZ more comfortable than any other bike I've ever gone long distance on. It's stock seat does have gell under the cover and I can adjust it's foot pegs to my liking and I fit it like a glove then.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 12:19:12 AM by Arizona Wayne »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2017, 01:43:57 AM »
Davo was a friend of mine - not a close friend, but a regular correspondent and participant in the Motorcycle Tourers Forum over on Delphi. He was participating in the 2009 Iron Butt Rally (the 11-day Big Dance) and had just crossed from Canada back into the US. He had taken off his helmet while dealing with the border staff, and for some unknown reason did not put it back on when he left the crossing station. Not long after this he hit a deer (which in that part of the country are dang near as big as some moose). The helmet wasn't required by law, but it was required by the rules of the event, so there's no knowing just why he didn't put it back on.

A discussion of the event is at http://forums.delphiforums.com/mctourer/messages/?msg=39398.1

Davo was a great guy, a great rider, and had an enthusiasm for life and for long distance riding that few can match.
Somewhat of an inspiration for getting out and "doing it"
R.I.P.

bpreynolds

« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2017, 06:06:22 AM »
If you look close enough in the snow you’ll clearly see my pee has gone further than yours.  What’s the prize?  :popcorn:

Offline nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2017, 06:59:14 AM »
22 hours, 1088 miles, 72 Eldorado. 2 hours sleep on the ferry before I started riding. Hallucinating for the last three or four hours.

What one can do isn't the same as what one should do! 

Nick

upload phots

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2017, 07:59:27 AM »
My record is about 850 miles from Yellowstone Park to Reno Nevada. More than half two lane roads. Included a stop for an oil change and new tire. That was 45 years ago on my Norton.
A few 700+ mile plus days since. Anymore 500 a day is plenty.

Pete

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2017, 08:30:25 AM »
I measure distance by time when touring. 10 to 12 hours is my limit and I prefer daylight. Sometimes that means 700 miles, sometimes only 350. Any longer than that and my skills suffer and it just stops being fun...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2017, 09:43:03 AM »
I did a bun burner 1500 in '07 (1500 mi. in 36 hrs.) on the Tiger. I doubt I will ever see a need to do that again.

I do 300 mile days on twisty, hilly Ozarks roads fairly often and still have a fun day.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2017, 10:02:11 AM »
I did few rides this year on the Convert that were just over 400 miles (approx. 50% backroad, 25% 2-lane highway, 25% 4-lane divided highway) with lots of stops, so if I was to "buckle down" and stick to all interstate, stopping only when I needed gas (every 200 miles), I should be able to knock out a 600 mile day. Any more than that would be too much like work... 
Charlie

canuck750

« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2017, 10:03:57 AM »
Two years ago I did 1000 miles on my KLR 650 from Northern California to Phoenix most of it secondary roads maximum 70 mph. Took me 22 hours. Doubt I would try it again. Usually I stick to 500 ~ 600 mile days.

Offline Carlo DeSantis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2017, 10:27:05 AM »
My highest mile day was 1261, competing in the Minnesota 1000 some years ago.

I can still do 700 mile days on my R12R in a pinch, but my sweet spot is 300 to 500 mile days on secondaries.

And yes, the older I get the shorter the riding days become :)

Best,

Carlo
Chuck in Illinois
Crystal Lake, IL USA

'75 850 T3 Custom
'11 R1200R

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2017, 11:07:44 AM »
I've 'ferried' several bikes and did business trips on bikes; among those rides were 3 bun burner gold's. I did 2 saddle sore's, one on an ST1100 (w/squared off tires in strong winds). Another on my '99 VFR . All other rides and bikes I've owned have been sport bikes, 'til buying a V7 III racer last July. 
I knew I wasn't the only octogenarian here. I can still do a very vigorous 4-500 miles/day on the Aprilia RS125. The racer? Not so much. It's the weight, you know .  R3~ 

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2017, 11:13:27 AM »
"If you had to, how far could you ride in one stint?"

Far, but that depends on the circumstances and if it is that important I'd take a plane.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2017, 11:33:24 AM »
The limiting factor is my bony butt. Best I've done is 500 miles, Manhattan to Mont Tremblant via Vermont 100, on the Dunstall Honda with clip-ons and rearsets. I stuffed the tank bag with clothing and could rest my chest on it, taking some of the load off the seat. That was 44 years ago.  Today with standard bars and pegs I can tolerate about 350 miles of twisties before the stock saddle (any stock saddle) kills my glutes. If I can ever get away for the 5000-mile loop I'll have to invest in a Corbin or similar.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Online mechanicsavant

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2017, 11:44:38 AM »
Depends on the bike , on the V7ii 3-400 . on my other , R1200r 500ish

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2017, 11:48:27 AM »
If you look close enough in the snow you’ll clearly see my pee has gone further than yours.  What’s the prize?  :popcorn:

Good stuff! My kind of humor! We need more of that 'round here!
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2017, 11:52:07 AM »
Did exactly 1,000 miles heading east out of Denver back in 1979 on a BMW R90S. Given 75 mph highways and my Guzzi 1200 Sport, I�m sure I could do it again. So important is the seat and multiple seating positions. The Guzzi is more way more comfortable.
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2017, 12:48:51 PM »
Good stuff! My kind of humor! We need more of that 'round here!
Yeah ??
Okaaayyy... :evil:

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2017, 01:13:47 PM »

ITSec may correct me on this...
Dave (Davo) Jones was "given" a GTR 1400 Kawasaki for an evaluation ride, I think before their release here in Australia.
Prior to that, his weapon of choice was a GTR 1000 Kawasaki.
I believe he left Byron Bay and rode to Perth, turned right then up to Denham and back down to Perth, then back to Byron (or similar).

I think that the take home message here is not "I can pee further than you", Dave was an advocate of getting out and GO SOMEWHERE NEW !
To do what Dave did is a statement of your ability to control your mind and your inner thoughts and how to set your bike up so that it works properly for your intended purpose.
He had a podcast on ABC radio that I think was removed upon his death, I've listened many times to it and found it inspiring.
I don't pretend to be in his category, but I know that a different sort of bond begins to develop when you and the bike have gelled into a single mass, and the crushing distances that he knocked over, with aplomb, demonstrated his mastery of man and machine in this discipline.
But way above all this, his love for family, life, bikes and Australia set him high atop a mountain of achievement that he climbed and although I did not personally know him, I do miss him...
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 01:16:10 PM by Huzo »

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2017, 01:17:48 PM »
I have done 600 mile days many times. 

I did an 800 mile day once because the Hotel I was going to stay at pissed me off and I decided to ride the rest of the way home which was 1000 miles total.  I had to stop at 800 miles in west Memphis because it was dark and there were thunderstorms ahead. 

I did that day on a '11 Versys 650.

I am not an interstate person, but if I were I am sure I could do 1000 miles.  I have done over 1000 miles easily in a car on the interstate. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2017, 01:22:27 PM »
People often ask "I've never taken an overnight trip on my bike, what's a good way to start?"

I tell them to take a three day weekend in some direction that seems good to them, and ride straight away from their house, all day, riding steadily, but not so long that they're hurting, and then find a place to camp or a motel.   This will put them farther away from home than they can walk back, and trusting your bike to do that for you is a good way to bond with it.

The second day, ride in sort of an arc with your home at the center, as far as you can comfortably go.   You're already (say) 300 or 400 miles from home, and now you're seeing new countryside from the back of a bike, and when you're done, you're still 300 or 400 miles from home.

The third day, ride back home.    When your bike pulls you up into the driveway, you can pat it on the tank and feel like "Hey, I can TRUST this machine to get me home!" which is the first step to enjoying long rides .....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2017, 01:26:28 PM »

I am not an interstate person, but if I were I am sure I could do 1000 miles.  I have done over 1000 miles easily in a car on the interstate.
I'd be interested to see fatigue on a bike graphed against distance.
I think it's parabolic...
X= distance
Y=fatigue

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2017, 01:27:54 PM »
People often ask "I've never taken an overnight trip on my bike, what's a good way to start?"

I tell them to take a three day weekend in some direction that seems good to them, and ride straight away from their house, all day, riding steadily, but not so long that they're hurting, and then find a place to camp or a motel.   This will put them farther away from home than they can walk back, and trusting your bike to do that for you is a good way to bond with it.

The second day, ride in sort of an arc with your home at the center, as far as you can comfortably go.   You're already (say) 300 or 400 miles from home, and now you're seeing new countryside from the back of a bike, and when you're done, you're still 300 or 400 miles from home.

The third day, ride back home.    When your bike pulls you up into the driveway, you can pat it on the tank and feel like "Hey, I can TRUST this machine to get me home!" which is the first step to enjoying long rides .....

Lannis

:thumb:
Charlie

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2017, 01:28:13 PM »
Depends on the bike , on the V7ii 3-400 . on my other , R1200r 500ish
Hi mate, welcome !

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2017, 01:31:47 PM »

Lannis
Beautifully put Lannis.
Are you reading this Timmy ?

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2017, 01:47:45 PM »
Just a ride to the store...

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2017, 02:00:35 PM »
Muley rode his EV from the middle of GA to Albuquerque, NM straight through.  I think that's around 1500 miles. 

He said he would never do that again!

I miss ol' Russ around here.  Guess I'm going to have to send him a postcard :)

George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here