Author Topic: If you had to, how far could you ride in one stint?  (Read 15028 times)

Offline drbone641

• Gosling
Re: If you had to, how far could you ride in one stint?
« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2017, 04:15:39 PM »
From just outside of Harpers Ferry, MD to Pigeon Forge, TN down the Skyline Drive/ Blue Ridge Parkway, on my CB750 with my two buddies on XS1100's. Young and dumb, 20 yrs old. Took about 14-16 hours, can't really remember. No idea what the exact mileage was. BRP felt like a racetrack. Stupid youth.
73 TR6
09 Multistrada
16 Eldorado

Online jumpmaster

• Gosling
« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2017, 04:24:36 PM »
For those few who answered "I did a 1000 mile day but I wouldn't do another", my experience has been that the first one was awful.  I told my wife to just shoot me if I ever mentioned trying another saddlesore ride.  A year later a friend talked me into another one, and it wasn't too bad.  I've done 4 more IBA saddlesores, + a couple of 900+ mile days, + one bunburner, and they actually seem to get easier.  On 2 of the saddlesores, I actually rode for about 26 hours straight because I had to ride for an hour or more to get to the measured starting point & then get home after the finish.  I'm pretty sure that the other IBA guys answering this question would agree that 1000 mile days get easier, & often more enjoyable, when you do them fairly regularly.  On the other hand, if my wife is riding behind me, 400 miles is a long day in her opinion.  A little frustrating for me, but "A happy wife makes for a happy life."

Even interstates can be enjoyable, if you choose wisely.  I-90 & I-80 west of the Mississippi are very scenic for a good portion of the way all the way to the west coast.  I-70 & I-95, on the other hand, pretty much suck for the most part.
JC
90 Mille GT (sold), 73 Eldorado, 75 Norton Commando, 46 Whizzer, 13 Harley Road Glide

Offline wavedog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2017, 04:38:38 PM »
Nowdays I can't ride for very far at a time. Right before Thanksgiving I rode my V-Strom 360 miles to deliver it to the new owner and that about wiped me out for a couple of days. Parkinsons and copd will do that to ya. What I used to be able to do doesn't matter any more. Most of my rides now are day rides of about a hundred - hundred fifty miles max. I stop alot, then it takes a day of sleep to recover. It's worth it.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2017, 07:47:37 PM »
I'd be interested to see fatigue on a bike graphed against distance.
I think it's parabolic...
X= distance
Y=fatigue

I'm thinking the Goodman relationship is more apropos.   :drool:

Personally, I do get a second wind when doing anything for a long period.

I can also see the parabola go both ways.  If I wake up at 2am and hit the road I am fatigued until the sun comes up.  If I wake up at 6 am and hit the road I am fatigued from 2 to 5 PM and then get my second wind.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2017, 07:47:37 PM »

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2017, 09:02:15 PM »
A 1997 1100 Sport i Moto-Guzzi to do my first 1100 mile day seemed like a good idea at the time...and anyone can do it on a goldwing, right?
I also needed to convince myself that my first Guzzi was not going to let me down.
The bike ran perfect the whole 1100miles.
Only issue, at around the 800 mile mark, my ass burst into flames..
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: December 27, 2017, 09:23:55 PM »
Til my sugar drops below 70:(

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #66 on: December 27, 2017, 09:37:49 PM »
Interesting thread.

Longest distance IF I HAD TO, no idea, I've never had to.

But whether I had to or wanted to I'd think there are some huge mitigating factors:

* Ambient temperature (not too hot/too cold)
* Weather (not raining or blowing too crazy)
* Route (highway vs backroads)
* Traffic
* Bike of choice*

* I'm sure there are other factors that I'm not thinking of right now, but those are the big ones and that last one can't be overstated.

I mean our Duc, I'm uncomfortable by the first hour/50 miles, the V7 doesn't start to feel that way till after the first tank full maybe 4-5 hours/200-250 miles.

My RK is a great tool for the job. Many years ago on my first RK the last week of a 3-week coast-to-coast trip was spent zigzagging my way home at 500+ miles a day for 7 days. This past summer I put a relatively painless 600 mile day in on the new one (I say relatively because cold temps and pouring rain gave way to punishing sunshine and heat, I could have done more and felt less tired if not for that).

But honestly at this point in my life I can't imagine being motivated to do more, nor really having the time/desire.

My RK is really overkill for my life right now.... But I have always liked a little excess.

Still, given my druthers, most trips would be backroads and maybe 300-400 miles a day at most.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 05:55:34 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #67 on: December 27, 2017, 09:46:13 PM »
The bike ran perfect the whole 1100miles.
Only issue, at around the 800 mile mark, my ass burst into flames..

:laugh:

Still, given my druthers, most trips would be backroads and maybe 300-400 miles a day at most.

:thumb:
Charlie

Online jumpmaster

• Gosling
« Reply #68 on: December 27, 2017, 10:01:06 PM »
Nowdays I can't ride for very far at a time. Right before Thanksgiving I rode my V-Strom 360 miles to deliver it to the new owner and that about wiped me out for a couple of days. Parkinsons and copd will do that to ya. What I used to be able to do doesn't matter any more. Most of my rides now are day rides of about a hundred - hundred fifty miles max. I stop alot, then it takes a day of sleep to recover. It's worth it.

:1:  With Parkinson's and COPD, you're my hero for just getting out and riding at all.  What a great example you're setting for us wimps!
JC
90 Mille GT (sold), 73 Eldorado, 75 Norton Commando, 46 Whizzer, 13 Harley Road Glide

Moto

« Reply #69 on: December 27, 2017, 10:30:49 PM »
600 miles a couple of years ago is my recent record, but I didn't enjoy the last 100 miles at all.

If I could roll my bike onto a train to cross the Plains I'd be much happier.

Moto

Offline Dofin

• Gosling
« Reply #70 on: December 27, 2017, 11:15:07 PM »
For me a fun days ride just goofing off is around 400miles,  goin to breakfast usually 150.

My best is 1500 mile ironbutt on my 76 GT500 in 24 hrs in 2011 took a 4 hr nap and finished with 2000 miles in less than 36 hrs.

best ride was when I rode from Turkey to Belgium on my 77 RD400 in 1986, took 3 days about 2500 miles

If I am going somewhere I will usually ride around 16 hrs stop, sleep 5-6 hours, rinse and repeat as long as my Bride would let me stay gone??  Mileage is of course determined by the rode and traffic!

76' Yamaha RD400
76' Suzuki GT500
89' Honda PC800
15' Guzzi V7 Stone

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2017, 12:59:34 AM »

* I'm sure there are other factors that I'm not thinking of right now, but those are the big ones and that last one can't be understated.

Don't you mean "overstated"

Offline Socalrob

• Gosling
« Reply #72 on: December 28, 2017, 05:32:50 AM »
Two different times I have gone from Alpine Texas to LA (home) in one long slog - it's about 1,070 miles.  Took me about 19 hours each time.  Going west I picked up two time zones and extra daylight.  Probably would take two days now. Never did send in the IB docs.

My trick is to avoid caffeine all day until I'm about 2-1/2 hours from home, the drink some coffee and take some Ecedrine and make the final leg wide awake. 

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #73 on: December 28, 2017, 05:56:09 AM »
Don't you mean "overstated"
Oops, yes, fixed....
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Rainrider

• New Egg
« Reply #74 on: December 28, 2017, 09:24:32 AM »
One of the limiting factors for me is an unwillingness to get out of a perfectly good bed in the morning. I’ve done 500 mile days on the K75, in the course of 4000 mile trips. They seemed okay at the time, but these days—eight years later—my butt complains if I even swing a leg over that bike.

I have relatives in SoCal, and I’m planning to run the V7ii down there this spring, see how far I get in a day.

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #75 on: December 28, 2017, 10:33:10 AM »
1,000 mile days are as easy as having sex in prison.

Tex

Offline guzzimatic

• Gosling
« Reply #76 on: December 28, 2017, 10:48:46 AM »
Just for grins I decided to do a 1000 in one day on my way to a National Norton rally in Torrey Utah in 2007. I woke at 3am and was on interstate in 45 miles,hit I-70 and made it to a friend in Denver about 16 hrs later. The 106 degrees with a 30mph cross wind in western Kansas limited my ability to ride more than 60 miles till I needed water and air-conditioning,for the last 200 miles...next morning I was at 10,000 feet and 55 degrees by 9am! I did that ride on my 2005 FJR 1300,a bike I nearly died on in a wreck in 2010, really miss that motor...In 2011 I got a new leftover Norge 1200 and had to prove to myself if I could still ride long distance,so... I lit the Norge up and did 836miles to Grand Forks North Dakota,hung a left on route 2 the next morning and knocked out 765 miles to Cut Bank Montana. I then slowed down to enjoy Glacier National Park,North Cascades National Park,Olympic National,etc a lap o the West to a lot of the places I missed when I lived in Tahoe.The last leg home was from Limon Colorado about 900 miles with a trip total of 6500 miles in 16 days,minus 3 days with my son in the Bay Area,2days with a friend in the Carson City-Tahoe area,so major moving for 11 days...Great Trip!!!
big Jim Walker bikes:'08 Norge,02'DR650,'84LeMans III,,'78 honda cb750k,'78 BMW R100S,'77 Ducati 860GT ES,'77honda XR75, '76 GUZZI convert,'75 850T cafe[project],'75 RD350 yamaha,'74 NORTON commando,'72 750 Norton flattrack replica,'72 250 Rickman-Montesa,'72 XL250 Honda Mosport[first bike

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #77 on: December 28, 2017, 10:56:38 AM »
6 years ago, Flagstaff to OKC only stopping for gas and snacks. Billy on a Road King, Jimmy on an Ultra Classic. They were on the right bikes for just eating miles. Billy's wife had a car wreck and was admitted to the hospital so want to or desire were not the question, it was just do it. Got up a about 4 AM and just rode till made it home. A person can do a lot more than they think given the right circumstances/motivation.

Those big heavy bikes are so stable at speed on the highways, you work a lot less making corrections. Personally I can ride twice as far before fatigue sets in on my FJR than I can on the FJ09 when eating miles. Just the opposite when riding the Ozark twisties all day.
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline roadscum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #78 on: December 28, 2017, 11:11:00 AM »
Until a few year ago I'd enjoy ticking off 800-900 miles days, especially when heading west from the east coast . From The Hudson Valley/Catskill Mountain area to Sturgis or Florida to Huston as an easy 2 day ride. Now, approaching the 44th anniversary of my 30th birthday, 500-600 miles is all this old body wants to do on a good day. Not so much on a bad day.  :sad:

If I had to I suspect I could still crank out a 900 mile day but it's not something I now look forward to.

Now I prefer to slow down, enjoy the scenery, avoid the interstate highways, met the locals, and enjoy the local food. It must be an old man thing???   :boozing:

Paul
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 11:16:19 AM by roadscum »
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing " - Socrates

Paul M. in SW Florida: 318 miles, 11 curves and not a Guzzi dealer in sight!

Offline ratguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
    • road kill
« Reply #79 on: December 28, 2017, 11:12:39 AM »
My highest was 2240 miles in 36 hours. On my 76 raT-3. Other than gas, I laid on the gas tank at a gas station for about 10-15 minutes.
I have bagged many 1000 mile days over the years as well.
JB
John Boettcher
Wonder Lake, IL

"I'll quit riding when they pry the handgrips out of my cold dead fingers"

Offline poorBob

• Gosling
« Reply #80 on: December 28, 2017, 07:21:59 PM »
I did a 903 mile day - north Georgia to Ontario - this past August and could have kept going. It was a well-planned ride and I pre-loaded fluids for 3 days in advance, packed the saddle bags strategically and had a great ride. The same ride 2 years ago took a lot more out of me because I had not prepared properly.

The "if I had to" angle begs the question of motivation. If it was a matter of life and death and I was prepared properly, I could ride my Stelvio well past the 1000 mile mark in one ride. How far? I dunno...I like to think as far as I needed.

Having done multiple 700 mile days on different Triumphs and a Suzuki, I must say looking down and seeing Stonkzilla's Guzzi cylinders catching the breeze and churning out torque inspires a feeling of confidence and trust I have never felt with another machine.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #81 on: December 28, 2017, 07:33:51 PM »

I did a 903 mile day - north Georgia to Ontario - this past August and could have kept going. It was a well-planned ride and I pre-loaded fluids for 3 days in advance, packed the saddle bags strategically and had a great ride. The same ride 2 years ago took a lot more out of me because I had not prepared properly.

Wait, are you saying I shouldn't start a 600 mile day hung over so I have to stop to pee less?!? [emoji848] [emoji23]
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Jim Rich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #82 on: December 28, 2017, 07:45:44 PM »
Long distance for this week was 25 miles last Friday.  Took a break in the middle, did not want to wear myself out.   :thumb:

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #83 on: December 28, 2017, 09:04:49 PM »
1,000 mile days are as easy as having sex in prison.

Tex
Yeah, and leave you just as sore !!!

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #84 on: December 28, 2017, 09:08:11 PM »

Look like we've got some folks with experience in these matters.   :whip2:

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #85 on: December 28, 2017, 09:08:44 PM »
I'm just gonna take both your words on it as you're obviously talking from a frame of reference to which I can't relate. [emoji848][emoji15][emoji43]
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #86 on: December 28, 2017, 09:10:04 PM »
RK, JINX!

OWE ME A BEER.

[emoji854]
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #87 on: December 28, 2017, 09:12:22 PM »
I'm just gonnad take both your words on it as you're obviously talking from a frame of reference to which I can't relate. [emoji848][emoji15][emoji43]
Yep, you got the main thrust of my point...
And judging by that 3rd emoji...???
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 09:16:59 PM by Huzo »

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #88 on: December 28, 2017, 09:14:33 PM »
Phrasing.  Phrasing.   :shocked:

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #89 on: December 28, 2017, 09:16:35 PM »
Yep, you got the main thrust of my point...
I'll pass, but thanks for the offer... [emoji55]
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here