Author Topic: You come out and they're staring at your Guzzi. Conversations that develop...  (Read 7709 times)

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
I'm sure I've written about the Italian gent who lived up the street from me in Boulder. Whenever the T was parked in front of my place he'd walk down, often with his kids, to admire the bike and talk about how much he'd wanted a Guzzi when growing up near Milan.

Here in the high country, in the hamlet of Hotchkiss, I've been accosted twice -- once outside the hardware store by a rancher who said he had an Ambassador in bits and pieces loaded on a trailer at home, and once by an elderly gent (probably my own age) who came into the optometrist's waiting room, plopped down next to me and said "Nice looking Mille! I had a Commando for production racing. And a bunch of Triumphs. Never owned an Italian bike." And on and on. Invited me out to the airport to see his plane.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
Last year after resurrecting a V50 -III my son and I made a trip to a little town called Winters California.  It's become a bedroom community for the Bay Area (SF) and a big ARTsy.

While we were sitting on a park bench outside the local coffee shop a very attractive older woman came over and related how she had a V50 when she was young and rode it all over the bay are.  I was trying to decide if she was an actress I should recognize  The conversation lasted maybe 15 minutes and I realized that I was the same way when it came to a Honda 400f.  also ridden through Winters in the late 70's

Mark
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Offline analog kid

• Hatchling
In a bank parking lot with the Mille, a man walks up and says: "a Guzzi! I haven't seen one of those since I was stationed in Germany in the 70's!"
We talk about bikes for a bit and he goes into the bank.
When he comes out, I ask: "so what were you doing 'stationed' in Germany in the '70s?"

Interesting stories follow...
Turns out he was also familiar with my moms hometown.

Another time, taking a break in a small town park (community center/ball diamond/playground) the centerpiece of which is a natural spring where locals pull in and fill their water bottles.

A man and his wife pull in. Looking at the bike he says "that must be Italian!"
Many stories follow about his old Vincent, and riding Triumphs when he lived in London in the 1960s.

After bombing around on bikes as a youth he no longer has one - he "got it out of his system".

I hope that will not happen to me... :grin:

and while we were talking, his wife got to fill all the water bottles.... :evil:
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 01:30:19 PM by analog kid »
90 Mille GT
03 Aprilia Caponord
84 LeMans lll (project)
07 Breva 1100 (sold)

Offline Rebochi

• Hatchling
   I was parked in front of a bakery and an Italian guy came out and checked out my 1200S. Talked for awhile and told him where the lacal dealer is located. A few days back  the bike was being checked out by a Deputy sheriff and his prison work detail. 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 07:50:58 PM by Rebochi »
1200 GS
1200 Sport
1100 Griso
2003 Rosso Corsa
Ducati Multistrada
Indian FTR 1200

Wildguzzi.com

Offline wyno

• Gosling
I was at the supermarket once and came out to find a rather short 83 year old looking at my bike. He told me how much he liked the newer Guzzis and that when he was young he used to work at the Guzzi factory in Mandello.
Wyno

Offline Neil

• New Egg
Last summer, I was at the inconvenience store getting gas (fueling the bike) :grin:, and the cable TV service tech in his vehicle nearby, leans out  his window and exclaims  " love the sound of the Breva (1100), can't mistake it". Turns out he owns one also. I gave him info on this site and Guzzitech.

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
I've always heard.." They don't make those anymore, do they? " Got more comments with the V65C than with the Cal II.
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
I just came back from the nags Head bike rally which is 99% Harley’s. I pulled into a parking lot full of Harley’s with my Harley buddy’s and within five minutes there were several guys around the Calvin. Some knew what it was and others were “ what the hell is that thing “ but everyone seemed to like it. Of course unreturned the compliments on their great bikes also. I still love HD:)

Offline slowpoke69

• New Egg
Let’s toast...  “Stay scarce my friend!”
I like that,  maybe a tattoo with the goose!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Offline EldoMike

• Gaggle Mentor
come on you guys admit it, this is funny.. or not?

Yup, Sunday morning chuckle out of me...thanks!

Offline calfruit

• Hatchling
Coming out of a cafe, after breakfast one sun morning in Newport Or. A young man of 6 or 7, walking up with his father looks at the Norge and says—— Daddy, Daddy is that a Harley Davidson.....?  The father looks at him and then me and says. No son,  thats a real motorcycle.  Made my day.

Offline Mr Pootle

• Gaggle Mentor
I was in the bike park in the centre of Helmsley one day when a lad of about 10years old came up and asked if his mum could take a picture of him standing next to my bike. He ignored the BMWs and Japanese machines parked all around. I was delighted to agree.

Offline geoff in almonte

• Gaggle Mentor
I got pulled over by an LEO one day while riding my T-5. 

First thing he sais was 'You've done nothing wrong, I just wanted to look at your bike!  Turns out he rode a Guzzi 'Back in the Day'.  We chatted for a few minutes and then carried on.

G
Midnight bugs taste best

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
I got pulled over by an LEO one day while riding my T-5. 

First thing he sais was 'You've done nothing wrong, I just wanted to look at your bike!  Turns out he rode a Guzzi 'Back in the Day'.  We chatted for a few minutes and then carried on.

G

I've had that happen.   In the midst of breathing a sigh of relief that you're not getting a ticket, you sort of forget that it's no part of a LEO's job to use his official capacity to pull you over on the public highway and invade your privacy just so he can look at your motorcycle .... ?

Not sure I'd do that if I were a cop.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
My favorite conversation generally goes like this:

"Cool bike, what is it?"

"Moto Guzzi"

"who makes it?"

"Moto Guzzi"

"yeah... but who makes it?"

Yep, dealt with the above a number if times. It can almost get like an old Abbot and Castelo routine. Have had a woman get out of her car and cross a parking lot to gush over the Norge. I find most H-D riders that bother to comment about the Guzzi either have something positive to say or want to know more about the bike. Many H-D riders seem to think that Guzzi's are faster than they are....but then when comparing. The last common comment is "They still make them?"
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

twowings

"Get that POS outta here before I call the cops!! Go park at Spaghetti factory, fer ****sakes!!!"

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
Upon leaving the Cedar Vale rally this past Sunday, Dusty and I went to the Dalton museum over in Coffeyville, Kansas.  We rode past the front of the museum and parked in the adjacent parking lot.   We had hardly shut off our engines before a young gunslinger, dressed in period 1890s attire, came trotting out towards us. 

I thought he was going to tell us the museum was closed or we were not supposed to park there.  Nope, he saw two Guzzis ride past and told his buddy to mind the store because he had to go check them out.   

Think he was a motorcycle mechanic.  Said you almost never see a Guzzi.

I infer from this that Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday would have rode Guzzis had they been around. 

Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline guzzi4me

• Gaggle Mentor
Just parked Olivia at the local hardware store and a 30 something guy walked up and said you don't see to many Guzzi's!

He walked around her a few times and said he really liked the styling. He rode Harley's but always liked Guzzi's. Had a nice conversation about bikes in general. Must have talked about 20 minutes or so. Not one time did he ask "who makes that??"!!

Quite enjoyable.

Jeff
Jeff S
Fruita CO

01 Jackal "Mistress"...sold
02 Stone "Giada"...donated Cedar Vale raffle
16 Stone V7 II "Olivia"...racking up the miles!!

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
 Over the years I have had a few nice comments on my Guzzis and other odd bikes I have own but the most attention I get is my 77 Honda XL125, people had one as a kid young people think it is cool, helps that it only has 800 miles on it and looks great.

2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Offline geoff in almonte

• Gaggle Mentor
Yeah I was pulled over on my VTR1000 one day - travelling on a 4 lane hiway at the tail end of a line of vehicles travelling at 20kph over the limit.  Again, the LEO didn't give me a ticket.  When asked why he pulled me out of a line of vehicles travelling at the same speed (I can only go as fast as the guy in front of me after all) his response was motorcycles were more visible and pulling one over slowed traffic down.

I cried BS, but was already pulled over......'Thanx, Officer.  Have a nice day'.  And drive away.

G

I've had that happen.   In the midst of breathing a sigh of relief that you're not getting a ticket, you sort of forget that it's no part of a LEO's job to use his official capacity to pull you over on the public highway and invade your privacy just so he can look at your motorcycle .... ?

Not sure I'd do that if I were a cop.

Lannis
Midnight bugs taste best

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
When asked why he pulled me out of a line of vehicles travelling at the same speed (I can only go as fast as the guy in front of me after all) his response was motorcycles were more visible and pulling one over slowed traffic down.

The usual answer to that is "When I go fishing, I don't expect to catch every fish in the lake ...."

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
I get the most comments when I'm riding my 72 Eldorado, it's nothing like original but it's how I like. Typical comment would be.
What year is that, beautiful old bike.

VII Sport or Griso, not so much.

The other day I got in a conversation with a guy who bought 3 Guzzis from the New Westminster Police force back in the late 70s,
he paid a pittance for them because no one else wanted them.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 09:41:27 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
Over the years I have had a few nice comments on my Guzzis and other odd bikes I have own but the most attention I get is my 77 Honda XL125, people had one as a kid young people think it is cool, helps that it only has 800 miles on it and looks great.

Now THAT...is one way cool vintage Honda!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :cool: :1:

When I lived in the Valley, and rode my restored 1959 Cushman Eagle to the local Pub...it always drew a LOT of comments and wisecracks...8HP, two speed, foot-clutch and maybe 30 mph in top gear...downhill!! :shocked: :shocked:

« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 05:48:17 PM by JJ »
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
I get it all the time with the Griso, not so much with the Norge. The younger guys - Riders are intrigued by it and want to know what it is and where they can get one. Older Riders look at it fondly with the classic statement "I had a Guzzi back in the 70's"
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 06:40:18 PM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
My 2012 Griso 8vSE in Tenni Green with brown saddle was a crowd pleaser. 

Bob
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero

Bob
I can agree with that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline MotoG5

• Gaggle Mentor
Many years ago when my Eldo was still pretty new and I was new to MG as well I had a very interesting stop light encounter. I was on my way home from work and in those days helmets were not required so most riders in the hot months here in Nebraska didn't wear them. I was sitting on my bike at a red light on four lane street and moped ridden by a young lady stopped next to me. I looked over and it was a Moto Guzzi moped! I didn't know that they were imported in small numbers at the time. She looked over and when she realized I was on a big Guzzi her eyes got large and she said "Wow, I didn't know Guzzi made bikes that big!". I replied "Hey I didn't know that they made them that small!". The light changed and we rode off with a wave to each other.
I have owned Guzzis ever since and like the other posts here had numerous parking lot and gas station conversations that are either a short history of Guzzis in the USA or the person knows something about them and very often the question asked is if they are still being made.
Its one of the great things about owning a Guzzi! 
Nebraska MGNOC State Rep

Offline kirb

• Gaggle Hero
Stopped by a Harley dealership to check out their bikes.  The salesman asked me what I ride? I told him I have a Moto Guzzi. He asked �what�s that�? [emoji848]

They are a myopic bunch...

I can't fault HD sales people for not knowing other bikes exist. The mothership wants EVERYONE to know they are the only bike on the planet. It's kind of fun when I go in to buy a bottle of Novus to play around. One of the few non-HD branded items that is priced fair.

It's not like they are all that busy anyway...

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
I guess the most popular responses are...

Beautiful bike!
What is it?
Who makes it?
I haven't seen one of them in ages!
I didn't know they still made them.
I knew an old guy who had one.
Where's the closest dealer?
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero

Prettiest "off the shelf" stock bike ever built... in my opinion.
Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here