Author Topic: Audiophiles, a minute of your time please.  (Read 3472 times)

Offline rider33

• Gosling
Re: Audiophiles, a minute of your time please.
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2018, 08:30:38 AM »
at the moment I have 4 Adcom amps running in various application (sound, tv, outdoor speakers etc.).
some were bought new 20-30 years ago, some where bought off craig’s list.  None of them have given me any trouble, all of them sound much better than they should for what they cost.  Many don’t like separate pre/power amps but if you can live with that, a GFA535 and a 450 pre-amp doesn’t take much space, can likely be found used for 300-400 dollars and is apt to sound better than just about any receiver you could buy for 3-5x the price.  ‘Great stuff, built like a tank.
"some journeys continue long after movement in time and space has ceased"  -Steinbeck

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2018, 01:15:03 PM »
If you are looking for devices that are for music and only for music the 80s stuff like the Sony of the OP, the Pioneer SX 880 mentioned  :drool: and so on is hard to beat. I would try to get the Sony repaired (easy to say for me as I earned my living with this in another life). I have just started to build me a second system (I have a very good old Pioneer system already) when my sister wanted to throw away her Dual belt drive turntable. I secured it and amended it with a Kenwood Basic C1 preamp and two Philips 22 RH 532 active MFB - speakers. I got all via Ebay for really good prices. Of course these old components are connected to modern devices like Avantree aptX - adapters, professional sound interfaces and computers. It´s really fun to listen to this stuff.
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Offline giusto

• Gaggle Hero
  • Giusto il canne del Como
    • photobucket
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2018, 10:20:27 PM »
The amp on my state of the art circa 1980's stereo system bit the dust.
It was a Sony TA-AX500, 80 watts/channel
Looking for a new one but am confounded by current offerings.
I don't need a 2000 watt, wireless remote controlled unit that communicates online.
I need simple to run phono, cd and a graphic equalizer.
Suggestions appreciated.
Minimal Guzzi content, cheap would be nice.
Thanks.

Before you do anything search on line for" monoprice" this company makes very reasonable tube driven analog power amps with a simple converter can deal with your digital sound and also take your turn table. I bought one a year ago...they have several models available....I still have 550 albums accumulated through my college days in the 70's....this set up allows me to play them via a warm tube driven sound....but also has an input for Bluetooth or cd. have a look
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=16153

mine has worked very nicely for a year...and the sound is excellent
2020 V 85 TT Travel
76 V1000 Convert Mr. Slate
76 V1000 Convert...in restoration process
2008 Norge Mia
2007 Breva
66 Benelli 125
68 Gilera 106
è il viaggio non la destinazione che è importante

Offline JoeB

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2018, 07:08:08 AM »
Thanks  :thumb: for all for the advice, offers and information. Am very rural here but have found someone capable local who will take a look at it. FYI this site has some schematics for older electronics. Here's what I found on it for mine: https://elektrotanya.com/sony_ta-ax500_sm.pdf/download.html
This site was safe for my Mac.
The suggestion to go to goodwill motivated me to check out a few yard sales in the more affluent parts of the county, and I found an old yamaha amp that'll hold down the fort for awhile.

It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2018, 07:08:08 AM »

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2018, 10:07:09 AM »
If you are looking for devices that are for music and only for music the 80s stuff like the Sony of the OP, the Pioneer SX 880 mentioned  :drool: and so on is hard to beat. I would try to get the Sony repaired...
Note that exact replacement parts for 1980s electronics may not be available.  I found this out when I had a Threshold power amp repaired.  The substitute part can affect the sonic signature of the component, and not always in a good way.  There are so many moderately priced solutions available today that I'd go for new.   
Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

Offline Mr Pootle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2018, 03:18:44 AM »
If I were looking for a new amplifier I’d consider the Entotem Plato. It’s a streamer with a phono stage, and it will rip your vinyl.

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2018, 06:13:51 AM »
Note that exact replacement parts for 1980s electronics may not be available.  I found this out when I had a Threshold power amp repaired.  The substitute part can affect the sonic signature of the component, and not always in a good way.  There are so many moderately priced solutions available today that I'd go for new.

Yes, but that´s controllable. Will be important for me if I have to repair the power stage of my Pioneer SA 8500 MK II.
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here