Author Topic: Why some of us don't like working on our own bikes.  (Read 2681 times)

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
Why some of us don't like working on our own bikes.
« on: September 06, 2018, 11:00:10 AM »
Because very simple jobs turn out not to be so simple. Replaced my T-3 front brake hand lever with a dogleg to allow me to get a better grip as I have small hands and some arthritis. Involves one bolt. Only took me over an hour not including the two trips to town to a machine shop due to the replacement handle not having a big enough hole for the bolt to go back through even though it was suppose to be model specific. Oh well...at least got it done.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
Re: Why some of us don't like working on our own bikes.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 11:31:13 AM »
It's all good John.  I'm doing everything twice, then trying to correct it!   My latest debacle is a Keihin carb swap,  definitely not like working on a small block chevy.

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 01:12:12 PM »
When I restored my G5, I felt that if I had a 50/50 chance on getting the part(s) on right, I usually got them on the wrong way. So I restored the bike twice in one restoration... some may call that a bargain, maybe  :azn:
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 01:29:55 PM »
I have found many aftermarket accessories that are supposed to be "plug and play" that require modification. Back in my japanese cruiser days I remember Cobra brand accessories almost always had to have holes drilled bigger, bent or tweaked to fit. etc.

It seems I was always bolting crap on mine, or my buddies bikes, until they were farkled to death!

Oh and not to mention, I have owned/farkled up a few Goldwings, and it was the same mess with aftermarket this and that. As a matter of fact, I put on wide, chrome levers, and the brake never worked as well as with the stock, and had to go back. the part that pushed the piston was too short.
Good job in getting the levers to fit.
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 01:29:55 PM »

canuck750

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 01:31:56 PM »
It's all good John.  I'm doing everything twice, then trying to correct it!   My latest debacle is a Keihin carb swap,  definitely not like working on a small block chevy.

If I don't do a job at least twice, usually three times I probably haven't learned anything. I have had the Morini 500 motor apart twice now because I did something wrong!
In the future I will pay a lot more attention to where a shim is supposed to be and where there should not be a shim. Putting a very thin shim on the wrong side of the shaft can lead to all kinds of grief. :violent1:

Offline MedicAndy

• Stable Companions:
  • Gosling
  • It's not always easy being me!
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 01:35:46 PM »
When I restored my G5, I felt that if I had a 50/50 chance on getting the part(s) on right, I usually got them on the wrong way. So I restored the bike twice in one restoration... some may call that a bargain, maybe  :azn:

I hear you my friend! I wish that my odds were 50:50! My odds of getting the job done right the first time is usually 75:25, and that is not in my favor! And in my world, even if I get lucky and fix something right the first time, then it'll be a given that something down the line will start to give me grief right away! :)
96 Suzuki GSX-R 1100W
95 MG 1100 Sport x 1
96 MG 1100 Sport x 2
97 MG 1100 Sport x 4

Offline BrotherJim

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2018, 02:50:02 PM »
I've got a stable full of bikes it the Flying Wrench Garage, so inevitably at least one of them is going to need something at any given time.  I'd much rather be riding than wrenching, but I really couldn't afford the hobby if I didn't do as much of it as I could, myself.  I spent my Labor Day weekend rebuilding the forks on my Bandit, changing oil and filter, and cleaning and lubing the chain, replacing the rear wheel bearings on my boy's TTR125, and cleaning and lubing the chain (should have made him do that), and changing-out the head gaskets on my stupid lawn mower.  I'd rather not ride or wrench on that!  Everything went pretty well, except the lawn mower... At one point I had gotten ahead of myself and had to undo and redo some things, which was extra frustrating with the 90 degree heat going on outside.  The cool thing though, is that satisfaction that you get when you do something yourself.  My back often disagrees!  An extra reward was being able to enjoy Monday riding in the dirt with my boy and some good friends.  No shame, however, if you need a hand getting something done.   
Short Time Livin'...

'02 Moto Guzzi California Stone

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2018, 02:58:49 PM »
I usually tear up as much as I get fixed:(

Offline Petrus Rocks

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2018, 04:28:45 PM »
I'm into vintage dirtbikes as well.  I rebuilt an '86 Husqvarna WR400 this year.  Powder coat, New tires, brakes, new bearings everywhere, new clutch,etc.  Sold it to another AHRMA racing buddy. 
-Hey Pete, what's up with this, what's up with that?"  I mis-stacked the clutch pack, of course he found it. Wrong axle, wrong bead lock... Egg on my face because he's a well regarded wrench. 

Ah well...take your time, don't rush, don't work on several at a time.

Offline Vince in Milwaukee

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2018, 04:48:53 PM »
You can count me in as a member of this club.  Just had my buddy in Chicago replace a front brake master cylinder for me.  Took him about an hour and half of that was us talking about old times and catching up.  I gave him a Benjamin and I bought him lunch.  $ well spent for a job that would have, no doubt, taken me all afternoon and left me unhappy. 
1984 Moto Guzzi 850 LeMans III, 1986 California II
Gone but not forgotten:
1969 Moto Guzzi Ambo, 1994 BMW K75RTw/ABS, 1996 BMW R1100RT, and 1993 BMW K75

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2018, 06:28:42 PM »
I no longer work on roofs or do cement work. BTDT and as my life is fixen to end soon I dont work on any of the new Guzzis.

tex

Offline leroysch

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2018, 09:15:37 PM »
Anything I do on the bike for the first time usually involves screwing something else up that I need to fix.

I was so proud of myself getting the LH rear wheel bearing out on the V11 without a dremel-ectomy I took a pic of the successful result.

'88 FLST
'95 Ducati 916
'04 V11 LeMans
'06 FLHX
'09 Buell 1125R
'17 BMW R Nine T
'19 H2 SX SE+
'22 Pan American
'24 Pan American CVO
'22 Pan America

elvisboy77

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2018, 10:39:14 PM »
Because very simple jobs turn out not to be so simple. Replaced my T-3 front brake hand lever with a dogleg to allow me to get a better grip as I have small hands and some arthritis. Involves one bolt. Only took me over an hour not including the two trips to town to a machine shop due to the replacement handle not having a big enough hole for the bolt to go back through even though it was suppose to be model specific. Oh well...at least got it done.
GliderJohn

Amen!  I'm running into that with the T3 I am working on.  But I have to say this board and its members have been a big help!  I think I am just getting too old to wrench like I used to.

Offline Paul Brooking

• Gosling
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2018, 01:09:59 AM »
I'm someone who likes to work on their bike.
I am limited by my lack of experience and handicapped by my extreme confidence  :evil:

Anything I do on the bike for the first time usually involves screwing something else up that I need to fix.

I was so proud of myself getting the LH rear wheel bearing out on the V11 without a dremel-ectomy I took a pic of the successful result.

I also seem to spend endless amounts of time admiring my work when something goes well.

A recent remap and rewiring exercise had me strutting around like Foghorn Leghorn when it was successfully completed.

The fact that a real mechanic could have done the job in 1/10th of the time , using 1/2 the $ value of my "special Tools" and warrant the work is entirely inconsequential  :grin:

Wouldn't have it any other way.
 :boozing:

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2018, 05:24:13 AM »
 I love working on bikes...If my junk isn't broken I go over to Pretus Rocks house and point out stuff on his bikes that needs fixing.. :grin:

Offline e.cleven

• Hatchling
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2018, 08:03:29 AM »
I'm in the process of putting the transmission back into my 02 Stone. About half done now and have also removed things I had installed to get something else to fit. I'm sure there is a correct sequence for the installation but I don't know what is it. I also have CRS (can't remember shit) so that doesn't help.
The only problem is the hoses that are attached to the tank. I took the canister out so things have changed. I know where the fuel line attaches and also the top fitting by the steering head but there are two more that I am not sure about..

Any ideas??

Thanks  Earl..

Offline Rod

• Hatchling
    • My Rideouts Website
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2018, 09:01:38 AM »
I had a Harley and the closest Harley dealer is an hour away, but I couldn't really do much to the Harley anyway, even an oil change was a big hassle. So I bought my '70 Ambassador (blindly) thinking it would be a bike I could be more "intimate" with, do my own tune-ups, etc., since I live in a remote location. Turned out it needed an engine rebuild (1/3 chrome loss). The closest mechanic wouldn't touch an old Guzzi so I determined that to keep up my motorcycle passion I needed to be self sufficient. Guzzi - the loop frame models specifically - turned out to be the best possible choice for that, both because of simplicity of design and the incredible support community. After I got done with the Ambo, I picked up an Eldorado Police and sold the Harley. I'm my own garage now and I plan to keep on riding as long as I can keep them running and still get a leg over. Of course I understand that having a new model with electronics, fuel pumps,  injection, etc. is an entirely different story, and a different esthetic. I'm just not going there again. These beautiful old loops satisfy my passion and give me more enjoyment than a modern bike ever did.
1970 Moto Guzzi Ambassador
1974 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police

Offline John Croucher

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2018, 09:09:20 AM »
Could be worse, you can attempt to work on someone else's motorcycle from the comfort of your lazy boy and a keyboard. Or tap a talk.

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2018, 02:19:02 PM »
I actually don't hate it...but rather love working on my bike...

But I do prefer riding a lot more...

Also I end up breaking stuff with NO spare parts a lot of time...everything from my "local" dealer is a special order for Guzzi parts even an exhaust bracket which takes up to 2 weeks to show up.

Also limited time between the wife, work and the kid...lol...

So...do I hate it? no...

Do I want to as of NOW? not really...but maybe when I am closer to retirement I might...
Life isn't WHAT IS at the end.
It is HOW and WHAT you are doing to get there.

03 Honda Shadow Spirit - The Purple Beast (SOLD)
15 Guzz V7 Stone - The Red Chick (SOLD)
18 BMW R1200GS Rallye - The Blue Streak (SOLD)

Currently Bikeless...*cry*

Offline JBBenson

• New Egg
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2018, 04:16:13 PM »
I like working on my V11, but my last valve adjustment turned into 2 day job when the valve cover gaskets had to be removed with a razor and magnifying glass and then I had to install 5 Timerserts when a few bolt holes stripped on re-installation.

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2018, 05:49:00 PM »
Used to be (operative term these days) I could not stand a non running bike in my possession.  Now have owned a G-5 for almost a year without doing basic maintenance, and a Convert project gathering dust. Any excuse for not fuggin with them. Times change. Looks like I'll be bringing Yamaha or Triumph to another Guzzi NAR. Maybe I will be reenergized after retirement. Right now, meh.
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline drdwb

• Gaggle Hero
    • backfeelsgreat.com
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2018, 06:35:24 PM »
I'm in the process of putting the transmission back into my 02 Stone. About half done now and have also removed things I had installed to get something else to fit. I'm sure there is a correct sequence for the installation but I don't know what is it. I also have CRS (can't remember shit) so that doesn't help.
The only problem is the hoses that are attached to the tank. I took the canister out so things have changed. I know where the fuel line attaches and also the top fitting by the steering head but there are two more that I am not sure about..

Any ideas??

Thanks  Earl..

Earl If I recall there are 4 lines going to Mary’s 04 Stone tank, one big line to the peacock on the lower left, one to the valve up top in front of tank,one slightly lower to the top valve in the center bottom of the tank and one on the bottom center of the tank maybe 2-3 inches up from attachment bolt. With CRS I’ve found it necessary to take lots of pictures with my phone as I’m taking shit apart, than load them on the computer so as it goes back together I can see where a wire or hose was suppose to run, I also use a lot of masking tape to label connectors an hoses, it’s probably anal but since I often can’t begin and end a job in one weekend it helps a lot 2 or 3 weeks latter when I finally get back to it.
Foto Guzzi is close and only a phone call away he is an excellent resource.

To continue with this thread intent, I love having time in the shop,maintaining 4 Guzzi’s is my escape, I haven’t touched our 3 Yamaha’s in a couple years and they need attention, but with only so much time my priorities are keeping the Guzzi’s going. Every time I Tackle something and get it back on the road running right is a personal win. And when something breaks on the road and I find the problem and fix it is extra boast. This board has helped immensely.  I also figure that if I can’t fix it there are 2 decent dealers within 3 hours that can probably fix what I can’t.  And to me there is nothing like the feeling of sitting down with a couple beers and admiring the successful completion of the job, many times spent alone in the shop at midnight or latter. Life is good.
Dave
07 Norge, 05 Baby Breva, 04 Stone  Touring , 03 EV, 82 650 Maxim 79 XS750 Special 78XS1100 Teraplane side car

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2018, 08:24:08 PM »
I also figure that if I can�t fix it there are 2 decent dealers within 3 hours that can probably fix what I can�t.  And to me there is nothing like the feeling of sitting down with a couple beers and admiring the successful completion of the job, many times spent alone in the shop at midnight or latter. Life is good.
Dave

Maybe I have an irrational fear of having to haul what I f#@* up to a mechanic or dealer that know what they are doing.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline rider33

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2018, 08:21:59 AM »
I actually don't mind working on bikes but I like riding them a whole lot more.  Then there also is the routine issue: things you do often tend to go a lot faster & the tools & parts tend to be on hand.  That for me is the fulcrum:  if it's going to take a lot of time & required multiple trips for stuff I don't have I'll let somebody else do it.  If it's basic maintenance and is not going to take too much of my way-to-precious time, I 'll do it.  Time is the one thing you really can't buy more of & the older you get, the clearer that becomes.
"some journeys continue long after movement in time and space has ceased"  -Steinbeck

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here