Author Topic: 2018 Eldorado  (Read 6634 times)

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: 2018 Eldorado
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2020, 02:50:45 PM »
My experience has proven that a PCV will make a Guzzi, and any other I reckon, perform better, if it's the only viable option.  I put one on my 99 Bassa and had it tuned on a dyno for improved drivability.  It did improve drive-ability and my enjoyment of ridding it was certainly greater.

Couple years later, I took it  to Jim Barron who at the time was in Woodstock IL operating a Guzzi dealer, and asked him to give it the works over since it hadn't been given a "tune up" since it's 600 mile service years back.  Jim is one of the best techs in the nation.  When I went to pick it up, he handed me the PCV and told me I wouldn't need that any more.  I was a bit dubious, as I had spent hundreds getting the PCV dialed in, but I was wrong.  Without added, non OEM fuel devices he was able to tune the bike to run far better than it had ever run, period.

My point is, if you can find somebody that really knows their shit around FI Guzzi, and has the right tools, they can get them to run the way they should, and it's great!  But getting access to someone of that ability is not always practical.   I believe Jim is still operating as an independent in Ringwood, Northern IL.

The fuel maps and government regulations between the 1100 Bassa and the 1400's are quite different. But, I get your point and agree about the 1100. The only reason I bought the 2009 Griso is because of Jim Barron. Yes, he was (is) a master technician. He actually understood how to make the parts on the motorcycle function in unison. Unlike Moto Guzzi that simply installed parts and kicked it down the assembly line. What you get is what you get. Too many dealers install the mirrors, put a battery into service incorrectly and call it done.

You're also quite right in that finding someone like Jim Barron to work on and tune your Moto Guzzi is vital. Without someone like Jim, it's a crap shoot at best. Sadly, I see very few dealers or technicians like Jim Barron to be found in the US and Canada.   

There's certainly not someone like Jim anywhere within several hours ride from Chattanooga, TN.

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2020, 09:01:45 PM »
  Well , time for a follow up on this Eldorado thing . Took a while to put on the first 600 km ( weather ) . Was coming to grips with
the low speed running , but it still took more revs to get away from the lights than I thought a 1400 cc should require . And my shifting
was in serious need of improvement , too many years with cable actuation I guess .
   The Booster Plug arrived and in it went , the tank removal isn't half the problem it's reported to be , and the plug was one bolt to
loosen and a couple of tie straps to located the lead . AND , I wasn't 5 feet up our steep driveway and I knew things were better  :boozing: .
Within about a kilometer of leaving , I was able to leave the lights comfortably at around 1300 rpm , no feeling of lugging the motor .
And did I say something about my shifting , the low speed throttle control was improving my shifting throughout the day . Have no idea
about any more power further up the rev range 'cuz I'm still breaking it in . Also winding up the preload on the shocks has improved it's
harshness over sharp bumps , which I'm enjoying . It's highway ride and engine smoothness are in a class of their own .
    Call me one happy camper !   Peter

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2020, 09:33:17 PM »
1300 rpm's is too low.  That's not much over idle.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2020, 10:49:17 PM »
  It definitely was before the booster plug  :thumb:.  Peter

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2020, 10:49:17 PM »

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2020, 11:40:39 PM »
I put a Booster Plug in my Audace last week. Holy Moly what a difference.  Going down my street has always a struggle to deal with the surging first gear or lugging it in second to try and go down the street smoothly at a neighborly speed. That has now all gone away. I can go down the street in either with no issues.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2020, 10:02:06 AM »
 :thumb: ^Probably the best bang for the buck I've had in quite some time .  Peter

Offline BobtheBuilder

• New Egg
« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2020, 10:03:34 AM »
Interesting comments about the Booster plug. I've had an Audace since 2016 and it ran so badly at low revs (<2500) that I invested in the PCV/AT300 set up from GuzziTech and it's been great, but that set up removes the stock O2 sensors and replaces them with wideband sensors attached to the AT300. This  forces the ECU itself to run open-loop. In my (admittedly somewhat limited) experience of trying to fool the ECU before the PCV was added, I've found that it always found a way to "trim" around anything I did to make it run richer as the closed loop control coupled with the stock O2 sensors provided the feedback that allowed it to adjust mixture back to stock. This sometimes took 3+ days of riding so I'd be interested to hear how your experience progresses with time
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 05:39:52 PM by BobtheBuilder »

Offline roadventure

• Gosling
  • There is no try; There is only do.
« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2020, 10:30:34 AM »
I own a 2014 California.  Same bike, different "dressing".  It is a great bike, but if you ever need support from a dealer don't do it.  Moto Guzzi is terrible at dealer support.
dave
Millville, DE

"Moto Guzzi....you're never more than 500 miles from your nearest dealer"

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2020, 11:12:37 AM »
Not sure what you’re trying to say?

We have some really great dealers in this country.  Unfortunately, we have some, to many at that, who don’t do a good job after the sale.  That’s been one of Guzzi problems for decades.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2020, 11:40:26 AM »
  Not too sure what the last couple of remarks have to do with the Eldorado and Booster Plug thread ?  Just sayin' .  Peter

Online geoff in almonte

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2020, 04:27:01 PM »
Hey Pete!!

You are right - the last couple of posts had nothing to do with the BoosterPlug thread.

But I am surprised a little.  The BP is a "Let's fool the ECU" solution.  I would have expected a more sophisticated approach.

But then, you cant argue with success.

Please keep us posted on your life with the Eldo.

Cheers!

G
Midnight bugs taste best

Offline Amboguzzi

• New Egg
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2020, 05:07:50 PM »
Peter/kk
Recently purchased 18 Eldorado and considering the BoosterPlug. Does the tank need to be completely removed? Do the emblems need to removed and replaced. Just want to know what I am getting into.
Thanks
Scott

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2020, 01:27:17 PM »
  Do not attempt to take off the emblems ! It's unnecessary and the tank can be turned and set on the seat while you do the task . IIRC , you remove
the seat , the covers around the steering neck and the gas cap surround . That should get you to all the fasteners . I've presently gotten over 6500kms
on it . It's a treat , super smooth , extremely quite , and power out of keeping with it's appearance ! I've finally tried full throttle a few times and actually
engaged " Veloce" mode a few times  :shocked: , it's back to Tourismo for now . Mileage has been about 20km per liter by myself and 17ish with 2 up .
Stable as a rock , yet it tilts the horizon with abandon . Still running perfectly . I have however purchased a laptop and Lonelec cables and Beetles Guzzidiag.
I'm going to try that , but for now the weather here is fantastic and I'm doing more riding than playing around with it's running . As a side note I finally took
off the rear shocks and replaced them with a set of HD Dyna shocks from the early or mid 2000's ( they've got real adjustable dampening) and that alone
has transformed the riding experience ( the springs are noticeably firmer and that's what they needed ) . Made a backrest for my better half and she loves
riding with me . Loved the original seats ( for looks ) , but I've since made a couple of replacements and am good for hours in the saddle now! Long winded way
of saying I'm loving it more with every passing kilometer  :grin:.  Peter
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 12:51:26 PM by moto-uno »

Offline ampm7

• Gosling
« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2020, 04:16:04 PM »
From one Peter to another Peter that is great!. I put the Boosterplug in as I had used it on a previous bike with catalytic converters (a BMW R1150RT) and it works great. I have the Agostini pipes but I took out the dbkillers and put them back in as it would need to have a remap if I left them out. I did however put a K&N filter in the airbox and cut a 2" hole in the housing using a hole saw and the bike can finally breathe well.I did have it on "veloce" but because SoCal is really "hilly" I did not like the excessive engine braking on downhill twisties so put it on "turismo" mode. It works great! Right now I am putting the finishing touches on a Matris fork cartridge install with new tires, pads, oils etc. I also installed LED light strips on the rear near the taillight but could not use the dual function as the converters are too large to effectively fasten to the rear license holder and fender. A matter of fact after I installed them I went for a ride and the rear tire wore through them and blew a fuse which put the bike into "limp mode" and I was able to solve that one with help of one of the guys on here. Remember that code: 34534 This picture is of the LED's but it is in full sun...     

1970 Moto Guzzi Ambassador, 1998 EV, Honda 1972 850 Ambassador, 2022 Indian Super Chief Limited

Offline Amboguzzi

• New Egg
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2020, 07:02:12 PM »
Thanks Peter
Scott

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2020, 11:36:12 AM »
  Time for a follow up on my Eldorado . Passed 11,000kms and it's still a treat .
  The booster plug has been in it for around 10,000kms and I had nothing to complain about , nothing has changed in it's running !
  Weather and air has taken a dive lately and I decided I'd install a "Beetle" map .
  After a mere 3 retries I succeeded , patience is a virtue when you're not the brightest crayon in the box :)
  Low speed running is as good as the booster plug ( that really is high praise ).
  BUT , 2 things not mentioned , I am no longer shifting like a newbie teenager , jeez that jerk was annoying if you weren't perfect in clutch and speed execution !
  And that engine breaking when letting the throttle off ( like hitting the kill switch ) is now like a normal carburated bike , my wife no longer hits the back of my helmet when I back off !
  So my experience is that the booster plug was good , but the "Beetle" mapping is Great !!!
  Many thanks to all those responsible for GuzziDiag and their mapping expertise  :thumb: .  Peter

Offline ampm7

• Gosling
« Reply #76 on: September 23, 2020, 03:56:56 PM »
Did you disconnect the Boosterplug to set up the Beetle map? Did you change pipes and airbox or did you leave them stock? Gas Mileage? I have put 8,000 miles since January which is not a lot to get excited about but the bike runs great. However, you are correct in that there is a lot of engine braking especially in first, second and third. I put mine in Turismo mode to calm some of the engine braking. It would be nice if there was less engine braking.
1970 Moto Guzzi Ambassador, 1998 EV, Honda 1972 850 Ambassador, 2022 Indian Super Chief Limited

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2020, 04:29:15 PM »
  Yes you definitely should disconnect the  booster Plug , left everything in it's place in case the download completely screwed up .
  I was also able to remove the O2 sensors (Lambda ?) and noticed they were quite clean and a silver grey , so certainly no over fueling .
  I had no idea that the engine braking was such a nuisance until it was gone , the bike gets more perfect with this download . As mentioned
  some time ago , the ride quality took a giant step up by replacing the rear shocks with a pair of old HD Dyna shocks , with the adjustable dampening :).
  Maybe some heated grips and hand guards next .   Peter

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here