Author Topic: Junkyard Cali 1100 Carb  (Read 3118 times)

F-Fred

Re: Junkyard Cali 1100 Carb
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2020, 10:35:19 AM »
Special delivery Bubs fit:

I need to do a little clean-up and maybe pack em.  Might be a little loud but the center muffler will help.

Thanks @cliffrod!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 10:40:18 AM by F-Fred »

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2020, 02:41:11 PM »
     Omg, that bike looks great already, just cleaned up  :bow:  :thumb:

I got nothing on the turn signals; but before I replaced the tail light bracket on the Cal Vin, with a new and improved oem, I looked at some of the alternatives, that others have used successfully.

I've never seen one up close so I can't speak to quality, (available for $30? on amazon) but these Duo Lamps for model T's, A's etc look pretty nice, imho.

fwiw good luck

Kelly

i agree, and as for quality...I've had this on for 6 years and a couple get offs and it's solid as a rock.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 02:57:46 PM by kidsmoke »
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

F-Fred

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2020, 05:31:02 PM »
i agree, and as for quality...I've had this on for 6 years and a couple get offs and it's solid as a rock.

Sweet!  How is it attached to the fender?  Did you trim off the little "box" the OEM taillight fits onto?

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2020, 04:36:03 AM »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2020, 04:36:03 AM »

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2020, 06:05:17 AM »
Sweet!  How is it attached to the fender?  Did you trim off the little "box" the OEM taillight fits onto?

thanks. I left the 'shelf' on the fender, but removed to the two posts that the OEM light slipped over, which left two clean holes.
I then fab'd a license plate/light mount and used the two new holes to mount two. Grolsch washers included to act as dampners. I aslo painted the can black and left the ring chrome so it's the same as the headlight. I think it's a good solution for these bikes. If you decide to go OEM, I have the original light cluster I may be interested in selling, although the brand new OEM from MG Cycle seems pretty reasonable.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 06:08:25 AM by kidsmoke »
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

F-Fred

« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2020, 06:29:50 AM »
Is this the OEM Tail-light?
https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=37_142&products_id=3345

That looks like it but says it's for 1998-forward.  100% plastic!  I think I am going to modify an early CEV steel mount and add a plate with three holes similar to what kidsmoke did to fit the three grommets that hold that plastic thing onto the fender.  That way I can use a semi-round tail light a la T3, etc.  I might add a tag plate to tie to the lower hole in the fender for a little more support.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 06:33:43 AM by F-Fred »

F-Fred

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2020, 03:59:30 PM »
I dropped the sump and there is evidence this poor bike was loved at one time: the golden hose clamp was there, in metric even:

I cleaned it all up and put in a new oil and UFI filter (part of a stash of bits that came with the Sparklehorse G5 Police) and bled the brakes and both systems pumped up firm.

I got her running but there are a few issues:  The tach doesn't work, the headlight doesn't work (even tho the bulb does work), the idiot lights don't work and the bike isn't charging.  The blinkers, horn and instrument lights do work.  One of the little relays was a little warm to the touch so I shut her off. 

Via search it appears the tachs are not robust, nor those little relays.  I have a wiring diagram and a multimeter so hours of fun coming up.

Also, the little rubber connectors from the carbs to the tubes connected to the airbox seem too short, and the PO had wrapped those connections in tape.  Yuck.  Any magic to getting the carbs sealed to the runners?

TIA!

« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 04:00:51 PM by F-Fred »

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2020, 04:49:26 PM »
For the electrics not working. I'd start with a full set of new relays, one good place to get them is dpguzzi.com (Pyro Dan). Maybe check the connections to the ignition switch too.
I dig the yellow C stand :wink:
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

F-Fred

« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2020, 06:27:38 AM »
For the electrics not working. I'd start with a full set of new relays, one good place to get them is dpguzzi.com (Pyro Dan). Maybe check the connections to the ignition switch too.
I dig the yellow C stand :wink:

Thank you.  I'll order a set of relays.  These are the original Seimens.  I put a new Zadi ignition switch but I'll double check the connections.  The wire colors didn't exactly match my diagram.

The safety yellow stand  :laugh: is just one I had laying around.  I have a Cal III stand around here somewhere that should be closer to the right height.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2020, 12:14:36 PM »
Thank you.  These are the original Seimens.
a know weak spot.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

F-Fred

« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2020, 01:28:29 PM »
a know weak spot.

I borrowed the ignition switch off the Cal 3 carcass and noted the wire colors (which match the Cali 1100) and connected it, and one of the spade terminals on the brand new Zadi switch pushed its way up into the switch. Could have been an issue, but not the only one.

Clearly at least one relay is fubared.  I played around with them today and swapped the one that gets hot from socket to another.  Bike now charges the battery, headlight works and the oil and charge lights work (and go off when I start it!) and even the tach works!  With a full set of good ones from Dan P it should be pretty much back to full function.

Thanks for the help!

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2020, 02:11:09 PM »
Out of curiosity.  What other Moto Guzzis have you owned/ridden?
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2020, 02:26:47 PM »
All I can see is a little robot with his arms outstretched..

« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 02:28:54 PM by Huzo »

F-Fred

« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2020, 03:14:47 PM »
Out of curiosity.  What other Moto Guzzis have you owned/ridden?

You can't play golf with one club!

A bunch but never had a California of any kind except for this one and a roller Cal 3, and none with these little relays!

I am building a hot rod with a LeMans 1000 motor and a T5 frame. I've also had a 91 LeMans 1000, an SP1000 and a Quota.  I miss the SP and the LeMans.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 05:40:46 PM by F-Fred »

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2020, 04:46:25 PM »
Yeah.....know what you mean.  My SP1000 is my solo touring bike on the Mainland.  Very reliable.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

F-Fred

« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2020, 04:48:44 PM »
Got an early CEV taillight mount modified to fit the little shelf:

Needs a little trim piece to cover the hardware but it's secure.

Turn signals are just some aftermarkets I had laying around.  I'll try to get the factory versions to attach with a much-shortened stem.  But I'm legal for now.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 07:01:47 AM by F-Fred »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here