Author Topic: Finally got my new engine: V7ii  (Read 3186 times)

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Finally got my new engine: V7ii
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2020, 03:09:40 AM »
Thanks again for all of the suggestions/input. I'm familiar with the misfiring sparkplug/cap problem, but never had a problem with the originals in the slightly-over 11k miles that my first engine lasted, so never got around to replacing with the NKG XD05F, which I bought shortly after purchasing the bike. Plug caps seem to be fully seated, and I'm not getting any discoloration where the cat is on the mufflers, so I assume that's not the problem. Injectors seem to be properly connected, at least as far as I can tell (I haven't lifted the tank off completely to check the rest of the plumbing/wiring... need to do this). I'm a bit spooked by the appearance of oil weeping from the left cylinder head/block articulation (top) as well, though know that heads need to be retorqued after the first 600 miles.

I'm not keen on taking the bike back to the dealer for a variety of reasons (not the least of which, it's a 1.5 hour drive away!), so will keep poking around... thanks for the insight and nudges to keep digging!

Really? surely they uses an MLS gasket these days and not old style composites. Even the later 2 valve big block use an MLS head gasket. MLS dont require retorquing.

Ciao
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2020, 06:29:22 AM »
Really? surely they uses an MLS gasket these days and not old style composites. Even the later 2 valve big block use an MLS head gasket. MLS dont require retorquing.

Ciao

Really, the V7II was the last but it requires a head retorque after break-in. They FINALLY changed the gasket with the introduction of the Hemi head V9 and V7III.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2020, 07:28:37 AM »
I can see you aren't that aware of the technical shortcomings of the modern mass produced engine/vehicle which is understandable if you're not directly involved in it or connected to people that are. This sort of significant mechanical issue is a common everyday fact across vehicle and even aviation manufacturers not some "one off" rare incidence. The average person just simple doesn't hear of it.
Thats why you never buy the first model of anything, just to reduce your exposure. It doesn't mean you'll have zero risk as a lot of the time it's a "manufacturing defect" as opposed to a "design issue" but at least with a mature design you can largely eliminate the latter.

Ciao..
  I believe the engine problem in this thread s a result of careless production and or poor quality control on the bearings...Guzzi has been building very similar engines for half a century and none of them are exactly state of the art. Well the 4 vave engines were different and many suffered from cam and follower issues.

[/quote]

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2020, 07:38:37 AM »
  I believe the engine problem in this thread s a result of careless production and or poor quality control on the bearings...Guzzi has been building very similar engines for half a century and none of them are exactly state of the art. Well the 4 vave engines were different and many suffered from cam and follower issues.

Yes a lot of the time it is down to quality issues at the factory and one off short term problems but as I said it's not at all uncommon. I've known lots of these issues over the years and quite a few of them are dealt with at the distributor level before the bikes are even sent to the dealer. Like un-crating one brand of brand new superbikes at the warehouse to re torque big end bolts or finish drilling cylinder head oil galleries or replace complete heads if necessary due to the damage caused therein. Replacing piston and barrel assemblies on warehoused bikes due to casting sand contamination in the transfer ports.The list goes on and on and the average customer is none the wiser.

Ciao   
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 07:42:58 AM by lucky phil »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2020, 07:38:37 AM »

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2020, 07:52:53 AM »
Yes a lot of the time it is down to quality issues at the factory and one off short term problems but as I said it's not at all uncommon. I've known lots of these issues over the years and quite a few of them are dealt with at the distributor level before the bikes are even sent to the dealer. Like un-crating one brand of brand new superbikes at the warehouse to re torque big end bolts or finish drilling cylinder head oil galleries or replace complete heads if necessary due to the damage caused therein. Replacing piston and barrel assemblies on warehoused bikes due to casting sand contamination in the transfer ports.The list goes on and on and the average customer is none the wiser.

Ciao   

Are you implying that new Harleys, Hondas and other mass produced machines are routinely serviced like you mention before delivery?

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2020, 05:09:35 PM »
Are you implying that new Harleys, Hondas and other mass produced machines are routinely serviced like you mention before delivery?

No I'm saying that what I've mentioned isn't some very rare event and anyone with a broad connection to the technical side of new vehicles would be well aware of this sort of experience. Take Guzzi for instance, there's the OP's issue, the recall on early v11 sports for gearbox faults, then there was the replacement con rods, the Griso flat tappet debarkle, the Griso cam shimming, the hydro tappet recall on big blocks, the lario dropped valves issue, this is just off the top of my head for Guzzi that have produced next to nothing quantity wise of motorcycles over the last 20 years. I've recently had to deal with a recall on a brand new Ford for a head gasket replacements, all 27,000 of them out of a total production of 34,034 units....reason? Ford knowingly used an inappropriate head gasket design and it came back to bite them on the butt. Ford faulty designed dual clutch transmission that they have now been forced to re purchase tens of thousands of cars on is another.
I've pre delivered around 6 of my new bikes myself (out of a total of around 60 new bikes in the last 45 years) at the dealers workshop and part of the process is to review and technical bulletins from the factory. So these are things that need to be checked since the bike left the factory and there is generally something. Usually it's just a wiring clamp mis aligned or a shock bolt that needs the torque checked or other minor things they found the factory assembly line got wrong. Usually! but sometimes its a little bigger than that and sometimes it's a send a team from the factory on a world tour to rectify assembled bikes at the distributors warehouses. it happens and I have personally known or been involved in 2 of these factory team events over the last 17 years. I've been pretty well connected to the industry over the last 40 years but I'd be just scratching the surface I can tell you.
I could literally spend the rest of the day on this topic but the point I'm illustrating is that customers shouldn't be that surprised if they get caught up in this sort of thing, it's not a rare event.

Ciao 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 02:50:04 AM by lucky phil »

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here