Author Topic: Ads, how's this work? NGC  (Read 1089 times)

Offline john fish

• Gaggle Hero
Ads, how's this work? NGC
« on: September 19, 2020, 11:28:57 AM »
I saw an auto parts ad here on WG while viewing a thread.  I was curious so I hit the 'shop now' button.  I got the 404 Page Not Found message on all the shop now buttons.  So, I'm curious-- what's the point?  Some sort of scam?  Incompetence?  Am I just, as usual, missing something obvious?  Here's a screenshot of the ad in question:

He lost the run of himself.

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
Re: Ads, how's this work? NGC
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 11:53:31 AM »
It's their ad, so you'll have to email the parts company and ask them why their link is broken.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline john fish

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 12:49:32 PM »
I don't care that much.   :laugh:  Honestly, I just clicked on it to see what car parts other WG members were buying.  Just curious to see if it's a well known scam or just a snafu.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2020, 01:07:23 PM »
I don't care that much.   :laugh:  Honestly, I just clicked on it to see what car parts other WG members were buying.  Just curious to see if it's a well known scam or just a snafu.
They buy lots of ladies underwear apparently
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2020, 01:07:23 PM »

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2020, 01:30:08 PM »
They buy lots of ladies underwear apparently

You can't prove that Kiwi Roy :evil:

Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

oldbike54

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2020, 01:34:19 PM »

Probably just a snafu John .

Dusty

Offline cookiemech

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2020, 03:05:17 PM »
John's buying ladies' underwear now??? John . . . thought I knew you . . . :grin:

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2020, 04:45:50 PM »
John's buying ladies' underwear now??? John . . . thought I knew you . . . :grin:
I don't think I have met John but I now have this image in my head of a hairy guy in crotchless panties.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline drdwb

• Gaggle Hero
    • backfeelsgreat.com
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2020, 05:37:32 PM »
I don't think I have met John but I now have this image in my head of a hairy guy in crotchless panties.

Crotch less  probably better than edible?
07 Norge, 05 Baby Breva, 04 Stone  Touring , 03 EV, 82 650 Maxim 79 XS750 Special 78XS1100 Teraplane side car

Offline john fish

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2020, 09:44:32 PM »
You know, it's just tough when my garter belt gets caught in my belly overlap.  How do you guys manage?  Talcum powder?

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2020, 10:01:26 PM »
Not from experience, but Talc might be a god idea. Maybe Golg Bond medicated power.

I have clicked on a few ads, very few sorry to say for WG. They normally work. Once I was tempted to buy whatever the item was, but with S&H it didn't work.

Just a thought, don't wear just those fancy panties with chaps. Thay might just give you a chilly willy :evil: :evil: :evil: :boozing:

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2020, 02:46:16 PM »

The advertising is targeted and the ads you see are based on searches done on the computer you're using.

Example:  Just a little while ago, I searched up and bought a replacement tail lamp assembly for one of our cars.  Then I pulled up Wildguzzi.  Yep, the ads in this thread are for OEM Parts Company, the people I just spent a couple hundred bucks with.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2020, 03:09:56 PM »
I never see ads on this forum when looking on my PC.  I'm running Adblock Plus.

However, if I browse with my Android tablet, I can hardly find the forum, it's smothered with ads.

Are they all being hosted by this site?  It seems so many.

Offline 1down5up

• Hatchling
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2020, 03:32:59 PM »

However, if I browse with my Android tablet, I can hardly find the forum, it's smothered with ads.

I find the same thing - site is ok on PC, but on the phone it is very frustrating. Its weird as none of the other forums I frequent have the same issue - I am now even getting redirected to a full page add when on my phone (have had it on multiple different phones)

Offline john fish

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2020, 04:14:44 PM »
The advertising is targeted and the ads you see are based on searches done on the computer you're using.

Then you might want to tell the guys getting the sexy lingerie ads to clear their browser history.   :laugh:

I, for example, only get ads for local church services.   :rolleyes:

I don't mind the ads.  They help to pay for the board.

And forward those ladies undies ads to me.  For scientific purposes, you understand.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2020, 04:56:33 PM »

Dave, from memory (which of course may be faulty :grin:) when they first started Luap ran a bit of a survey.  WG evidently gets a bit of money for them and I think a bit more if you click on the advertisers site.  I too run Adblock so I whitelisted WG to help the cash stream.  Only going to be a max of 2 per page.

So far, no ads for crutchless knickers. :evil: Carpets (who knew) tools and fastenings tend to be the ads du jour.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Bobic69

• Hatchling
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2020, 05:31:47 PM »
I keep getting ads for over 40s dating sites including one with a photo of a lovely lady wearing a short dress with no undies at all.  :shocked:
Bellagio

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2020, 04:55:08 PM »

Here's what I've never understood.

First, I hate on-line and TV advertisements.  Whenever I have the opportunity, I'll always pay a subscription price so that ads aren't shown or necessary, and I do it on any site I use that offers it.   Ads are generally stupid, intrusive, and usually downright insulting to the intelligence.   Matter of fact, I'll go out of my way NOT to buy something that was shoved into my face by an advertisement.   But I understand why they are necessary for some sites or TV shows to pay for the cost of production, because some people are enticed by them, so they are a necessary evil in this our modern world.

However, I've found that I can run ad-blockers and other filtering software that can detect and eliminate the ads, making it much easier and more pleasant to use the site.   On sites like this, I give my "fair share" in donations to the list, in line with the amount that I use the site.   On other sites, there's no way to pay, so I just block the ads until there IS a way to pay for the service I'm using.

Here's the silly thing.   Many sites can detect the fact that I'm using an ad-blocker, and they INSIST that I disable it and look at the advertisements in order to use the site.   Do they realize how stupid that is?   Do they think that forcing me to look at their chimpanzee-level sales pitches are somehow going to help their advertisers' bottom lines and make me buy their stuff?   As I said, I'll go out of my way to AVOID buying stuff that's shoved in my face, even if I might have bought it if there were no ads.   So why the insistence on "no ad-blockers" for people like me, who obviously would be a net negative if ads are shown, and a net positive to the site if a subscription is available?

No wonder some business-people struggle and fail.   They don't have a clue about how people really think, work, and react ...

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2020, 09:08:01 PM »
      I shouldn't say anything, because some of you guys might get the idea of horning in and cutting my grass; but as much as I try to keep a low profile and my natural charm on the down low, I have a bunch of  long legged nubile young Russian girls looking for a grey haired old guzzi guy just like me. wtf! who knew? lol

I think they may be very poor, they look underfed, probably eating some of that chicken with the hormones in it, their chests seem disproportionately large, and they obviously can't afford clothes, poor girls, most of them are only wearing underwear or negligees,or maybe they're be working as lingerie models on the side?

I think their older sisters must be the ones stalking me on facebook mp, idk ?

I'm going to have to get to work whittling a sharp stick to beat them off.  :cool:

:laugh: :evil: :laugh:

Kelly
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 09:10:50 PM by 80CX100 »
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2020, 09:27:11 PM »
 :grin: :grin: :grin:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2020, 05:59:31 AM »
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here