Author Topic: Has anyone ever ridden one of these?  (Read 1311 times)

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
Has anyone ever ridden one of these?
« on: September 21, 2020, 10:51:49 AM »
HD Trike - They say the new ones have independent suspension and are a much better ride than the older ones.
Eagle Rider HD Rentals has these...I have never ridden one and would be curious to see what its like... :thumb: :cool:

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Siamese

• Gosling
Re: Has anyone ever ridden one of these?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 05:09:11 PM »
One wheel in front and two in the back is inherently less stable than two in the front and one in the back.  Either their engineers don't know that, or they can't figure out how to do it? 

The other trick with a three wheeler, at least here in Michigan, is avoiding potholes.  Compared to a motorcycle, you have three times the chances to hit one.  At least with a Miata, you only have two times the chances. 

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 05:12:03 PM »

Has anyone ever ridden one of these?
No.  :evil:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline BillinPA

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 05:49:54 PM »
I have ridden one. Friend had one as she couldn't hold up a bike, bad leg. She had a wing trike kit, and older HD trike kit and jumped on the triglide when it came out. She loved it. I road it a short bit, it was very nice, comfortable and ran well. It wasn't my cup of tea,  but they aren't junk.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 05:49:54 PM »

stormshearon

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 06:14:52 PM »
 Just remember, as with a sidecar rig - I did own one for a few years, they do not steer like a solo bike. Leaning won't do much of anything, as you steer by turning the handlebars. Plus, they are not as stable in corners as a solo and have a tendency to lift the inside wheel on a corner if you are going too fast - rather like a side car rig likes to lift the chair wheel on right handers if you are not carefull.

That said, I have seen a number of them, two up on travels out west. Look comfortable and have decent luggage capacity. Rent one and let everybody know what the experience was like.

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 08:22:49 PM »
One wheel in front and two in the back is inherently less stable than two in the front and one in the back.  Either their engineers don't know that, or they can't figure out how to do it? 

The other trick with a three wheeler, at least here in Michigan, is avoiding potholes.  Compared to a motorcycle, you have three times the chances to hit one.  At least with a Miata, you only have two times the chances.

* I know all this...
* Have completed the USA Sidecar Association Class a few years back in Seattle, WA, had fun doing that...
* Have ridden several Can-Am Spyder...I did'nt really like that feeling, even with two stable wheels in the front...
* Rode an older Lehman Trike Goldwing conversion...and that was scary, especially in the twisties...might have had a solid axle (??)
* But never a modern an HD Trike (???) which now has independent rear suspension...
* Eagle Rider Rentals has them here locally, so I guess I just have to rent one and see...will file a report if I do...
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2020, 08:30:10 PM »
Of course, these days, many other 3-4 wheeled options out there!! :shocked: :rolleyes: :huh: :thumb: :cool:
(From American Bike & Trike, Chandler, AZ)

« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 08:30:33 PM by JJ »
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2020, 08:46:11 PM »
Like you have noted, the 'new' type of trike kits are IRS, a huge step forward from the original Lehman kits using a cut down Ford rear end (Lehman started in a small town north of where I am before going big time and moving to South Dakota)

I have read that these reverse trike kits are very good and the trike leans into corners preserving the motorcycle experience

https://www.tiltingmotorworks.com/bike/harley/

the tilting reverse trike kit is $14K + the dealer installation cost and you provide the donor bike.

48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2020, 09:32:56 PM »
Piaggio MP3 would work for me.   :thumb:  The 500.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2020, 09:40:35 PM »

Good Call!

« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 09:42:16 PM by Canuck750 »
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2020, 09:59:48 PM »
 :thumb:   Hard not to want one after riding one.   :evil:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2020, 10:11:38 PM »
avoiding potholes.  Compared to a motorcycle, you have three times the chances to hit one. 
Yes but, you have twice the chance of missing..

Offline zebraranger

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2020, 10:44:01 PM »
I've been thinking about three wheelers myself over the last couple of years. A couple of months ago I added this 2020 Ryker Rally to the stable. I've been enjoying it so much that I've only been on my two wheel bikes a few times since buying it. It does feel strange going back & forth though from two wheels to three wheels because the ride experience is so different.

The Rykers were never intended for touring, But, I added some saddlebags and a few other things to it for my October trip to the Smoky Mountains, it should be fun. I think the pothole issue is a little overblown. There's two feet between the rear wheel and either of the front wheels, so as long as the pothole isn't over 2' wide, its easily straddled at any speed. 

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2020, 10:47:21 PM »
They probably do everything you want very well..
But I’m reminded of the old adage..
“Whatever you do
Don’t look down..”

Offline ridingron

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2020, 10:48:33 PM »
On the 4 wheel vehicles above, are they considered motorcycles?

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2020, 11:26:04 PM »
Yes although getting it registered should be a rat maze game.   :tongue:

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2020, 11:53:39 PM »
 Riding them somewhat aggressively on twisty roads gives your upper body a workout . They are not for the weak if you live where motorcycles are fun to ride . Peter

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2020, 09:27:19 AM »
Good Call!

YES!!  Those are cool!  Gilera used to make a 3-wheeled 500 Maxi-Scooter called the FUOCO!!

'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2020, 11:35:46 AM »
* I know all this...
* Have completed the USA Sidecar Association Class a few years back in Seattle, WA, had fun doing that...
* Have ridden several Can-Am Spyder...I did'nt really like that feeling, even with two stable wheels in the front...
* Rode an older Lehman Trike Goldwing conversion...and that was scary, especially in the twisties...might have had a solid axle (??)
* But never a modern an HD Trike (???) which now has independent rear suspension...
* Eagle Rider Rentals has them here locally, so I guess I just have to rent one and see...will file a report if I do...

You should be able to go down to the local dealer and take one for a test ride.  If they have a used one they should have no problem letting you put some miles on it.  New ones they like to keep the ride down to 10 or 20 miles unless they have a demo one. 

I ride motorcycles for the two wheels and the way they go through the curves.  I have no desire to have a non-leaning trike.  If I still want to ride but can't hold a bike up, I will do the tiltingmotorworks conversion. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2020, 11:41:27 AM »

If I understand this bike correctly, you have to manually engage the mechanism to hold the bike upright as you come to a stop, and then disengage once you get moving?

Yamaha should add this feature to the Niken GT. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2020, 11:56:02 AM »
I have had a Gold wing trike with IRS for over 12 years. I use it just for 2 up riding with my wife when we want to take a longer highway trip. It has a DFT ( darn fine trikes) conversion,and the rear suspension works very well, using progressive air shocks plumbed into the wings air compressor system, so you an vary the stiffness of the suspension.
 They provide an upper body workout in the twisties, but you get used to it. A front end rake helps with steering, but my GW has stock rake, and its not too bad.
  There is no leaning at all on this setup, its all about push/pull on the bars!
I bet that new Harley rides real nice, with that milwaukee 8 motor!
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here