Author Topic: NGC - saying goodbye to a friend  (Read 1041 times)

GeorgiaGuzzi

NGC - saying goodbye to a friend
« on: September 22, 2020, 10:37:07 AM »
We are putting down our GSD today. She is over 13 and half years old. I rescued her as a puppy that had been abandoned at a gas station. Roxy has been the best companion anyone could ask for. Her hips have finally gotten so bad that she cannot squat to use the restroom. We give her a pain pill every morning as prescribed by the vet, but she still moans at the thought of getting up to get her water. And the stubborn girl will not eat things like green lipped muscles that are supposed to help joints, she will eat around wheatever you “add” to her food. Thru all of this though, her disposition is sweet and loving. I’m really torn up about this. Just a reality of pet ownership I guess but it’s still difficult.

Anyways, just needed to put down feelings into words, thanks for putting up with me.

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
Re: NGC - saying goodbye to a friend
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 10:41:33 AM »
I'm very sorry to hear about Roxy. Sounds like she has led a good life. Anybody who has lost a 4 legged friend they were attached to can relate.

John Henry

oldbike54

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 11:27:04 AM »
 Was I a good girl ?

Yes Roxy , we have on good authority that you were the best girl .

Our rescue tri-terrior of doom is in a fight for his life , at the vet today on an IV drip. He sends his best to Roxy .

Dusty

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 11:41:15 AM »
Robert, I am very sorry about Roxy. You gave her an awesome life full of love and attention, the fact that you rescued her when a baby, makes her even more special.
  My thoughts are with you,and Roxy today.
Rick.

https://www.rainbowsbridge.com/poem.htm 
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 11:41:15 AM »

Offline Daleroso

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 11:57:30 AM »
I feel your pain & am sorry that this experience hurts so much. We put 3 rescues to rest within 1 year who aged & experienced health issues beyond our ability to watch the suffering.
My wife suggested that after 36 years of having kids &/or dogs why don't we try just us two for awhile.
Lasted 4 days before adopting BayLee, a Labradoodle puppy.
But WOW......... did we forget what having a puppy is like.
LOL & worth it.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2020, 12:11:53 PM »
I can relate. Sorry to hear that but think good thoughts of good times.. it's the right thing to do.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2020, 12:24:36 PM »
Sorry to hear about Roxy.   Take care.
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline Markcarovilli

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2020, 12:36:55 PM »
hard to do but part of being a responsible pet provider.

all the best,

Mark

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2020, 12:59:38 PM »
Bob, I’m so sorry to hear about your Fur Baby. Our Daisy is also 13 and we already dread the day. I think we are assigned our pets from the highest authority and I know you fulfilled your goal of caring for her.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 02:32:36 PM by Ncdan »

Online Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2020, 01:25:08 PM »
I hear you and feel your pain brother, our 13 YO Black GSD is in the same situation. I've promised her when she stops eating and wagging her tail I will let her go on ahead of me. Dreading the day.
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2020, 01:38:01 PM »
Sorry to hear about Roxy....my condolences...Pets are part of the family, and it's always very sad when they pass on...but in the end, you did the right thing for her....
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline jcctx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2020, 02:09:17 PM »
My sincere condolences; earlier this year we lost our 18 year old cat, Puddy. In 2002 she showed up under our deck; scared, hurt and really hungry. She quickly became a member of the family!!

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2020, 02:32:15 PM »
Terribly sad news.
You will need your mates in the coming days, they care for you.
Peter..

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2020, 05:16:16 PM »
Been more than once and it is very tough but it appears that you have made the best choice. Mt heart goes out for all involved. Cherish the memories.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline davedel44

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2020, 06:26:54 PM »
I'm so sorry. I know that this is terribly hard for ya'll.  She can play with my Rocksey when she passes over.
God Bless.
Dave
Bambino- 2013 V7 Stone

GeorgiaGuzzi

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2020, 06:33:13 PM »
Thank you everyone. Everyone’s comments and thoughts are very appreciated.

Offline Wild1_OR

• Hatchling
  • Whaddaya got?
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2020, 07:21:51 PM »
I don't have a pet, but it reminds me of when my close friend's parents each passed. He wasn't outwardly emotional either time, but when he had to put his cat down, he was inconsolable. I didn't understand it at the time, but then I realized that as an adult, his relationship with his parents, who lived halfway across the country, consisted of occasional telephone conversations. The relation with his cat though, was a daily personal interaction, especially with the responsibilities of feeding, cat litter, etc.

On a side note, what's NGC?
2018 V7 III Stone Azzurro Elettrico

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2020, 07:38:10 PM »
So sorry for your loss. If she could, I know she would thank you for a great home.

Maimie is 16 now, but she still uses the doggie door and plays with our pup Max. She was a pistol in her day!

ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline gfritzmeier

• Hatchling
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2020, 10:01:41 PM »
So sorry to hear about Roxy.  Eyes got a little misty reading this as I've got an Irish Setter named Reba that's going on 14 and she's loosing muscle in her hind legs. Just tonight I had her out and she fell with rear legs spread eagle. Had to pick her and her day is coming.  Nothing can give us the love that  I know what you feel and if I could say or do anything that would lessen the hurt I would.  I wish you well and hopefully you'll remember the fun you had with Roxy.
Fritz
Ya don't have to believe everything ya think!

Ride All Day,Play All Night!

GeorgiaGuzzi

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2020, 10:06:17 PM »
I don't have a pet, but it reminds me of when my close friend's parents each passed. He wasn't outwardly emotional either time, but when he had to put his cat down, he was inconsolable. I didn't understand it at the time, but then I realized that as an adult, his relationship with his parents, who lived halfway across the country, consisted of occasional telephone conversations. The relation with his cat though, was a daily personal interaction, especially with the responsibilities of feeding, cat litter, etc.

On a side note, what's NGC?

I prefer animals to people in most cases. My grandparents who passed away wasted away due to complications from old age. My father passed away very suddenly three years ago, it was a shock, but I had spoken with him the day before and our family is good about expressing feelings, so I didn’t have anything I wished I’d said but didn’t .
But having to end the life of a companion who I rescued as a mangy (literally) little puppy was/is hard on another level.

I appreciate the thoughts from you and others very much.

NGC = Non Guzzi Content

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2020, 10:10:19 PM »
It’s a final act of kindness. A dog will stay around long past it’s time to go just to be with you. Please accept my condolences.  John
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Kremmen

• New Egg
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2020, 11:09:48 PM »
Sorry to hear it, man. It's never not a painful time. Your good girl can play with my goofhound Chiyo when she gets there. Lord I miss that dog.

Online guzzi4me

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2020, 11:24:34 PM »
We have been at this crossroads many times....it is NEVER easy.

Laurie and I have been blessed with many cats and dogs that have adopted us. The Love that they have to share is amazing.

The last act of Love is the hardest. But they would expect nothing less from their best friends.

The mortal body doesn't live forever but memories do.
Remember them...and if circumstances arise maybe you can give that Love to another...not the same but Love never the less.

Jeff & Laurie
Jeff S
Fruita CO

01 Jackal "Mistress"...sold
02 Stone "Giada"...donated Cedar Vale raffle
16 Stone V7 II "Olivia"...racking up the miles!!

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2020, 11:29:41 PM »
The guy who does the tv show wrote a book My Cat From Hell struggled with this very issue. It is a good read and will put your heart to rest by having to do this.  The book is Cat Daddy.
We just recently put down our standard poodle Charlie.  It is not easy but his life has deteriorated to the point that he had to be helped to stand as well as other issues. It hurt but we didn't want to see him suffer anymore. Charlie will show Roxy around. Charlie loved all dogs, helped my animal control wife rescue lots.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2020, 03:05:04 AM »
I feel your pain & am sorry that this experience hurts so much. We put 3 rescues to rest within 1 year who aged & experienced health issues beyond our ability to watch the suffering.
My wife suggested that after 36 years of having kids &/or dogs why don't we try just us two for awhile.
Lasted 4 days before adopting BayLee, a Labradoodle puppy.
But WOW......... did we forget what having a puppy is like.
LOL & worth it.

After not having a dog for 25 years we got ourselves a standard Schnauzer puppy. OMG I had forgotten how much work is involved in a puppy and add to that a "determined" breed and life's not quite the same :laugh:

Ciao
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Offline bikeridertim

• Gosling
  • Just ride it!
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2020, 06:38:33 AM »
My condolences.
2017 MOTO GUZZI MGX-21
1999 MOTO GUZZI EV11
1973 MOTO GUZZI ELDORODO
MGNOC L-201
AMA LIFE MEMBER 543509
IRON BUTT 12038

We struggle our whole lives so that we don’t have to struggle.  Huzo

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2020, 09:01:56 AM »
We are putting down our GSD today. She is over 13 and half years old. I rescued her as a puppy that had been abandoned at a gas station. Roxy has been the best companion anyone could ask for. Her hips have finally gotten so bad that she cannot squat to use the restroom. We give her a pain pill every morning as prescribed by the vet, but she still moans at the thought of getting up to get her water. And the stubborn girl will not eat things like green lipped muscles that are supposed to help joints, she will eat around wheatever you “add” to her food. Thru all of this though, her disposition is sweet and loving. I’m really torn up about this. Just a reality of pet ownership I guess but it’s still difficult.

Anyways, just needed to put down feelings into words, thanks for putting up with me.

Kudos to you for being a good friend and caretaker.  We adopted a GSD that had been abused and abandoned.  He never developed a friendly personality with anyone but me, my wife, and his dog and cat siblings.  GSD's are great animals, but very different from most dogs.  Everyone should do lots of research before adopting a GSD.  As someone once said, "Once you get a GSD, you'll never have to go to the bathroom alone!"

We got our GSD stem cell therapy for his hips, twice.  Worked fantastic for about two years the first time.  He went from acting like a broken down 8 year old to a rambunctious 3 year old.  The second time was less effective, simply due to his age.

13 is a great old age for a GSD.  You obviously cared for him very well.  Take solace in that.
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline rjamesohio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2020, 10:11:50 AM »
Bob -

Very sorry, thinking of you today.

I too have a 13 year old rescue that I first posted about here in what seems like yesterday.

This is a day that we all have to 'get through' as best we can. You have our support and understanding. Wishing the best.

Ron James
Ron James
Ex LM V
Ex SP1000
Ex Eldorado
Ex Quota - parts live on after crash
EX 1000G5
EX 850T3
EX 2003 V11 Stone
EX 1996 California 1100i
EX 2006 Big Breva
1979 1000 G5
1993 California iii
Spine Frame Mongrel
1999 BMW R1100R
Waynesville, Oh

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2020, 10:17:10 AM »
There's no good way to do it-even though they suffer and you know it's right.............. ......
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here