Author Topic: 07 Norge instrument panel stuck in mode  (Read 1294 times)

Offline drdwb

• Gaggle Hero
    • backfeelsgreat.com
07 Norge instrument panel stuck in mode
« on: September 23, 2020, 09:37:53 AM »
Cleaned the corrosion crud off battery, after resetting clock the instrument panel is stuck in mode. Went back to book followed procedures, remains in mode. All I see is battery and chrono no other options come up, I can hold the set button for ever or push momentarily no change, Any suggestions?  Clock works fine Also temp accurate 54 degrees this am, speedo & tach work fine. But I also can’t turn on hand warmers cus the normal display doesn’t show up. 1 1/2 hour at 80 Mph at this temp my hands are cold.
07 Norge, 05 Baby Breva, 04 Stone  Touring , 03 EV, 82 650 Maxim 79 XS750 Special 78XS1100 Teraplane side car

Offline drdwb

• Gaggle Hero
    • backfeelsgreat.com
Re: 07 Norge instrument panel stuck in mode
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 12:17:17 PM »
Have you tried disconnecting the battery again?

Or, disconnecting the  battery, (both cables), and bolting the two cables together with the ignition switch on overnight?

Those would be my first and second steps.

John Henry

Thanks for the suggestion, had not heard of that trick before.And  being an ex electrician wouldn’t have even considered it, runs counter to all my thoughts. I had contemplated the process of getting to the internal battery, not a pleasant thought. So after multiple attempts driving home, following the proper procedure and thinking I’m insane ( doing same thing over and over expecting different results) I held the set button down for 30 + miles, still no change, realizing I’m totally distracted at 80 mph I gave up, wait maybe once more, several more times,finally gave up as I’m back in town city driving, in battery mode toggled it one more time and back to normal display Just as I’m pulling into our parking lot. This happened once before several years ago when I first got the bike,but didnt take this long. When I get time This winter, I’ll take the switch apart and see if contacts are corroded.
Anyone else encountered this before? After searching the site I’m not finding any similar posts.
Thanks for any suggestion or fixes.
Dave
07 Norge, 05 Baby Breva, 04 Stone  Touring , 03 EV, 82 650 Maxim 79 XS750 Special 78XS1100 Teraplane side car

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 12:29:22 PM »
I think some functions may be disabled while you are moving, I know I cannot set the clock on my V7 unless I am stationary.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 04:32:42 PM »
The Norge allows you to cycle thru Trip 1, Trip 2 and then the Menu while driving or stopped.  Sounds like a contact is stuck, but since you're in the Menu mode, can you cycle thru the options there, or does it not allow that either?
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 04:32:42 PM »

Offline drdwb

• Gaggle Hero
    • backfeelsgreat.com
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 07:29:59 PM »
The Norge allows you to cycle thru Trip 1, Trip 2 and then the Menu while driving or stopped.  Sounds like a contact is stuck, but since you're in the Menu mode, can you cycle thru the options there, or does it not allow that either?

PJ
It allowed me to see Battery, chrono, and the menu, and I could go thru each of those options, and change them, it just wouldn’t allow me to get out of those 3 display choices.
Funny thing is now that it came back I can see instantaneous MPG readings, I’ve had this bike since 2014, and never seen this on the display before, I saw it in the owners manual and tried to find it a few times but couldn’t and just figured I could live without. And now it’s there, How cool is that. Perhaps another Distraction.

Offline drdwb

• Gaggle Hero
    • backfeelsgreat.com
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 07:47:36 AM »
John I tried multiple ways, with engine running, off .side stand down, also on center stand engine on off, pushing holding, toggling left right holding, I think I tried every combination possible. And certainly the procedure from the book. I think I’m going with dirty contacts, in a few weeks when the snow is flying. But for now it’s working and I’m not going to mess with it.
Thanks
Dave

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2020, 08:20:58 AM »
The other possibility is that inside the Menu section, go to highlight the word Exit, you don't always see that from a normal viewing angle.

That is usually tucked in way up at the top, going off memory, so if you can cycle to that, press the button in, it should get you back to the Trip 1 and then Trip 2 option.  In each of those, you can see MPG on the fly and the other 4 metrics.

Odd that some of your Norges don't allow you to cycle thru the menus on the fly, mine (2008) has always worked whether moving or stopped or off/on.

Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline Brian UK

• New Egg
    • Guzziriders
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2020, 04:45:43 PM »
I'd clean the handlebar switch first.
Or at least spray some contact cleaner in there and operate it a few times.
Brian.

Offline Matteo

• Alaska Guzzi's on Facebook
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Make me an offer I can't refuse!
    • https://squareup.com/store/doubleshovelciderco
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2020, 05:03:25 PM »
On the off chance that you are not familiar with it although I assume you are, you are hip to the long and short press of the mode button to get around in the menu, right? A long hold to the right is supposed to get you out of that menu. Also, as mentioned, you need to be stopped. Might need to be in neutral.

So, just in case you didn't realize this, try neutral, side stand down, and the long press.

John Henry
+1. I've had the same experience as Brian. Amount of time holding the switch made the difference .
66 Stornello Scrambler,77 Lemans,80 CX100,16 V7II,21 V85TT Centenario
Gone to new homes: 84 LM3, 82 1000SP, 00 V11Sport, 84 V50III, 84V65, 00 Jackal, 07 Norge

Offline Brian UK

• New Egg
    • Guzziriders
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2020, 02:17:27 AM »
No amount of holding the switch one way or the other will make any difference if the switch contacts are dirty.
Brian.

Offline drdwb

• Gaggle Hero
    • backfeelsgreat.com
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2023, 02:21:16 PM »
Same issue 2 years later, Norge dash stuck in mode again. I’ve gone through all the steps.

At this point I’m concerned about trying to take the switch apart any further,  the cover is off the back of the switch/ button, revealing a little ball bearing at the inner most point of the push rod, no doubt held in place by an even smaller spring. Which if further disassembled will find me crawling around the garage floor for days to recover if even possible given my rapidly aging eyesight.  I’ve sprayed a soaking dose of electrical contact cleaner several times, I’ve tried moving the switch to either side and used a dental tool to scrape scratch the surfaces I can get to. But alas no change.
The switch does allow me to cycle through all the menu options.

I see Menu, Chrono, battery, and at menu I can go in select and change all the settings , diagnosis, time etc, but going back to menu no matter what method of holding jiggling, pressing releasing finally exits. I’ve tried multiple combinations of pressing and release, turning the bike on/ off while holding the button on exit, its well past the point of calling it insanity ( doing the same thing repeatedly expecting a different result).

I also am concerned about the possibility of trying to replace said switch since getting this one out of the housing without breaking it is way over my pay grade skill/expertise level.

I have not tried ZoomZooms technique of taking the battery  leads +/- off, bolting them together and leaving the key on overnite, primarily because I believe there is a small battery inside the dash which to my thinking would drain over nite and result in me having to remove the dash to replace, I’m not one to create more work for myself if not necessary. So my next step is to either try the Zoom Zoom method, but I’m not looking forward to trying to reset the clock and all the other settings that power disconnect will require. Or just live with it permanently stuck in menu.

Surely my 07 Norge can’t be the only CRAC bike with this issue. Anyone been down this path before?

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2023, 02:36:06 PM »
I’ve had my ‘07 from new and not seen this.
You say that you can’t get the hand warmers to work due to no display on the panel ?
They should still operate even if you cannot see the readout.
Instantaneous and average mpg displays occur sequentially so you may have been seeing the former in previous experience but thought you were looking at average…(probably not likely though…).
I have no ideas other than what you have done so far.

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2023, 03:34:44 PM »
At the very least I would disconnect the battery for an hour, and then also make sure the battery is fully charged on a tender overnight.

Have you tried pushing the button to the left instead of to the right to see if you can exit the Menu and get back to Trip 1 or Trip 2...
Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline drdwb

• Gaggle Hero
    • backfeelsgreat.com
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2023, 05:17:45 PM »
On the Norge if Huzo hasn’t seen this I’m in trouble. Last time I checked hand warmers still worked, haven’t tried. I usually just go by feel with those anyway. Absolutely can not see trip 1,2 or clock. Nothing but Menu and the options/ settings  I mentioned earlier. Did try straight in with slight left/ right, jiggle release, hold forever and up down and combinations there of, to far and it goes to Chrono or Battery, than back to menu- push straight in and then it’s the Exit settings and diagnosis options.

It has been this way since 2014 when I first got the bike. But in the past when it has occurred I’ve tried all the combinations mentioned, and quit after the frustration, insanity kicked in and just drove it. Maybe 2-3 hours or 2 or 3 weeks later I’d just try it again and it would actually exit and be fine until the next time I have to reset for maintenance or clock. There is no magical procedure or ritual that works every time. I’m surprised mine is the only CRAC bike with this glitch. I’ll disconnect battery probably for an hour, if no change I’ll try the Zoom Zoom method. After that I guess I get to make the decision of trying to locate a new or used unit or just live with it.

The planet Mercury is in retrograde moving from Cancer to Leo, I’m a Leo so this could explain it all. Time to dig out the Tin foil hat and return to the shop.

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2023, 05:44:05 PM »
I suppose you have tried spraying some DeOxit into the switch and wiggling it around a bit as well.

There are other Norge Riders besides Huzo (no offense intended)...I've had mine stuck one, but holding it for quite some time eventually solved it and it's been fine ever since.

You can take the back of the switch off and spray inside as well, it's hard to screw it up as long as you get it all lined up again and evenly pressed on the bar.
Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Online cappisj1

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2023, 05:48:04 PM »
Changing screens on the Norge is frustrating. I dread going in to reset the “fix it wrench”. I think you just need to keep trying the switch however frustrating. Slide push hold nudge, the combination never seems the same. I wouldn’t open the switch. It will go to a trip screen eventually I think.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2023, 05:56:59 PM »
Changing screens on the Norge is frustrating. I dread going in to reset the “fix it wrench”. I think you just need to keep trying the switch however frustrating. Slide push hold nudge, the combination never seems the same. I wouldn’t open the switch. It will go to a trip screen eventually I think.
Over the journey I’ve been fortunate with the instrument cluster and switches.
Do you have a misting problem as some have reported.
Wondering if there’s been too much moisture in there ?
As for the menu functions, I just enter 28315 and seem to have no dramas.
But everything is good, until it isn’t.

Online SemperVee

• My life will be told in MC people and experiences more than anything else.
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • USMC Retired
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2023, 10:22:11 AM »
  Reading this is concerning that if it works for some digital selection it should work for all?  Electrical is usually all or nothing so it sounds like it is not a physical glitch to me but something other than the switch?  My .02.    My 07 Norge the screen is very light even as I have the menu marked as bright as possible in the settings? 
2007 MG Norge - Hi Ho Silver! - La Dolce Vita
CalSci Tall Windshield
Heli-Bars
Matris Fork + SAG set
Eibach Rear spring
Salamander HB ends
K&N  filter
StainTune pipe
Metal gas fltr
Givi Rear rack
Givi V46 Box and Rack
Startus Interuptus
Napoleon Mirrors
Grip Puppies

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2023, 02:46:00 PM »
Could you "hot wire" the  switch just to eliminate it or confirm it as the culprit?
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline drdwb

• Gaggle Hero
    • backfeelsgreat.com
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2023, 05:14:54 PM »
Could you "hot wire" the  switch just to eliminate it or confirm it as the culprit?

If you could get to the bottom of the switch to where it appears the wires are soldered. But I don’t see a way to get the knob off the push rod to get access to the bottom of the switch. I have taken the top of the switch, see pictures above, but stopped when I saw the little ball bearing.

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2023, 03:04:23 AM »
I was thinking at the other end where it plugs into the loom

Put a meter across the terminals that come from the switch and see if they open and close as the should.
I'm guessing there is 6 wires?
A common and one for each of the other 5 switch positions

OR, if you're feeling brave, jump across the terminals in the plug that go into the loom. That should let the dash know that you want to talk to it
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2023, 10:31:16 PM »
Don’t let the smoke out!
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline drdwb

• Gaggle Hero
    • backfeelsgreat.com
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2023, 09:48:24 AM »
Don’t let the smoke out!

That’s my concern. Yesterday I slid a 1/4” wide by 3/8” long piece of 220 grit sand paper between switch contacts, I did it facing up and down while moving the switch through all positions, than cleaned it again with starting fluid spray and blew it out with computer air spray than used CRC electrical clean and lube. Same result no Exit. But switch worked through all other functions, no change. So I reassembled switch back on handle bar than disconnected battery sometime today I’ll see if reconnecting battery fixed it.

Just in case anyone’s wondering. Reconnected battery after 12 hours off. All functions remain. Set clock, toggled through all menu, setting options, everything works, but refuses to exit, stuck in menu.
However, when I reconnected the battery, before I set the clock. It was the normal screen, trip 1 and 2 were visible and functional, as was the temp. I didn’t think to check the hand warmer indicator. But since everything else was visible I’m assuming they would. And it took quite some time holding the button in before it went into menu, once in, setting the clock, no problem. Back out to menu, no problem, then Chrono, Battery , no problem, menu - exit. Stuck no exit.
Decided I’d rather have trip 1/ 2 more than clock. So disconnected battery will leave over nite and hopefully get back to normal screen.

Since apparently I’m the only one who’s experienced this, if I figure it out I’ll revive this post.
Just call me timeless in Minnesota.
Dave
« Last Edit: April 29, 2023, 06:07:03 PM by drdwb »

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here