Author Topic: Breva 750 Cafe Racer  (Read 25276 times)

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
Re: Re: Re: Breva 750 Cafe Racer
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2013, 05:56:02 PM »
It's because of two reasons.

Size (physically as well as well as motor)

and to some extent cost.

Both make it appealing to women who tend to be smaller in stature and/or newer to motorcycling than the average male rider.

It is what makes the same appeal and associations true with Sportsters, Bonnies, 600's series Monsters, etc.

But that doesn't make those bikes any less wonderful. They are smaller, lighter, cheaper, and more efficient than their larger counterparts. Those that see that enjoy all those attributes and a certain minimalist freedom. Not to mention the fun of riding a slow bike fast.

Conversely way too many guys are overly concerned with the inadequacies of their package and think that means they need to buy a "bigger" or more powerful bike, overlooking those pearls because other overcompensating morons can't see past those associations.

You gotta ask yourself, which are you...

...me? I sold two big blocks to buy one smallblock.
I think, for the most part, well-stated, Kev!
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

oceanluvr

Re: Breva 750 Cafe Racer
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2013, 09:15:45 PM »
Here is a good article about a modified 850T...you might get some useful ideas.

http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/classic-italian-motorcycles/custom-moto-guzzi-cafe-racer.aspx#axzz2ojcP9S7m

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2013, 09:29:14 PM »
So......are you making some kind of comment about Kev's     ahem..... Schwartzendruber??
I think, for the most part, well-stated, Kev!
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2013, 09:38:05 PM »
So......are you making some kind of comment about Kev's     ahem..... Schwartzendruber??

Maybe he meant THAT was "for the most part"... :D
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2013, 09:38:05 PM »

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2013, 11:51:34 PM »
I think underneath all the Breva clothing is the same bike frame as a V7 racer. So... what's the big deal with simply having to buy new bodywork. Folks seem to think its a different beast altogether. All current SB's are the same basic bike with different bodywork. It's like buying a 850T and turning it into a Lemans. Shared platforms.
Kevin
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline Calijackalbob

• Hatchling
  • The BEST looking Jackal in Singapore.
    • ZDK Elite Karate & Kickboxing
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2015, 12:29:26 PM »
Soooooo I'm contemplating building a Breva Cafe Racer. Any thoughts on where to start/where to look for parts? I'm just curious if it could be done without rebuilding the entire bike. Anyone with experience building a cafe racer, where did you get parts, what were your major design issues? Thanks in advance!

Hi Schadeam.
I know this is an old post, but if you (or anyone else) are thinking about a Breva 750 Cafe racer,.....

I'm in Singapore where a V7 Racer costs $30,000 SGD, a shitload more than you guys pay in the US............. Breaks my heart.

I'm with you on the Breva Cafe racer idea, there is a sad, rusty, faded 750 breva about to be scrapped if the owner doesn't sell or pay $6500 to register it for the next 10 years. On top of that there's $250 road tax every year as well, sooooo,.... If I don't buy it it will be melted down for the metal. Such are Singapore laws.

anyway,....The Breva has basicly the same frame as the V7, apart from the tail end which is higher, A small modification would make the V7 seat a possibility, then you just need the tank, lower handlebars and hey presto,.....

From this

to this

or this

I kinda like the Breva's modern exhaust, mag wheels, (might look better painted) side covers (painted to suit the tank) and frame covers, (which might look good chromed) It would look real modern retro. I am tempted to pay the $2000 asking price, pay the $6500 Registration and do it.
Sad thing is this 10 year old bike will end up costing me about the same as you could pay for a new V7 in the USA, ..... but If I do it, I'll love it just the same.

The conversion would be minimum fuss, keeping everything as stock as possible, just change the tail end of the frame to fit the seat, New old style tank, headlight and clip ons.  Voila!

Anyone else out there done a Breva V7 cafe?

P.S apologies for the amateur photoshop job on the pics.

akcapwild

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2015, 03:39:15 PM »

Anyone else out there done a Breva V7 cafe?

People are really overthinking this here.  Here's my smart ass answer to the question:

Yes, Moto Guzzi did a Breva V7 Cafe... when they introduced the V7. 

Calijackalbob, you are absolutely right.  The Breva was MG's attempt at creating a new styling direction off a frame that essentially has all the correct geometry of what has become the Cafe Racer "style."

All MG had then to do, to turn around 180 degrees, was back off the Breva styling to the V7 styling and bingo, Moto Guzzi resurrected its small-block roots... which certainly overlapped the Cafe Racer era and hewed to many of the core Cafe Racer geometries.

And then Guzzi turned around and did this to the V7:

Which, with very little effort, can be made into this:

It would not take much to turn a V7 back into a Breva, or a Breva into a V7 Cafe Racer.

HERE is an interesting study of the Cafe Racer geometry: http://www.bikeexif.com/build-cafe-racer

« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 03:45:17 PM by akcapwild »

Offline Calijackalbob

• Hatchling
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2015, 09:52:03 PM »
People are really overthinking this here.  Here's my smart ass answer to the question:

Yes, Moto Guzzi did a Breva V7 Cafe... when they introduced the V7. 

Calijackalbob, you are absolutely right.  The Breva was MG's attempt at creating a new styling direction off a frame that essentially has all the correct geometry of what has become the Cafe Racer "style."
................... ...
It would not take much to turn a V7 back into a Breva, or a Breva into a V7 Cafe Racer.

I agree, though having a close look at the Breva, the footrests, gearchange and brake pedals are mounted on the aluminium frame covers. It would create big headaches if you wanted to expose the frame and get rid of the covers . You would have to find an alternative way to attach the pedals to the bike somehow. The aluminium frame covers look better in light of this, especially since the pegs are located in the only place possible if keeping the stock Breva pipes. 

............ anyway, my take is, if you did this

.... just changed the bars, tank and seat you'd end up with a cool looking bike that stands out from the standard V7 because of the pipes, wheels and frame covers.
(The pipes in the pic above are not original, The Breva's stock chrome pipes look better,..... similar upswept lines as new V7 pipes.

The more I think about it, the more attractive the neglected, sad, rusty, only Breva in Singapore becomes. I'm going to take a third look. Might save it from the scrapyard.

Watch this space.

Offline Calijackalbob

• Hatchling
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2020, 08:41:43 AM »
So, I've moved back to Oz. God's own Country and being financially challenged, after a few months bikeless, I just had to buy a bike, and it had to be a Guzzi. (I'll not be going back to Japs or anything else, though  I would be tempted by a vintage Ducati, 900 SS or similar,) So with precious few bucks in my hand, I bought the cheapest Guzzi I could get my hands on. Guess what it is?

yup! A 48 horsepower 750 Breva.

I wasn't expecting much, considering my last bikes were a California Jackal and a Bellagio with 75 horses each, but I was pleasantly surprised with the torque, handling and general rideability of the bike. THe look is growing on me too, though I am not really into the "modern, UJM ish styling,"  I am more an old school, classic 70's style fan. (My ideal bike, much lusted after is a Le Mans Mk 1>) but the baby Breva really is a handsome machine.

Being me, I had to start modifying it, so first thing I did was put on some bar end mirrors and Ace Clubman handlebars.

I reckon it looks 99% better and for me, makes it seem more sporty and (it may be an illusion, but.........) faster, cos it now has a racier stance.

Took it to the "Ruptured Budgie Rally" put on by the Moto Guzzi Club Of Queensland and the bike handled beautifully and got a lot of appreciation from guys on bigger and better Guzzis, most of them saying "The 750 Breva is a good bike."  I felt they were patronising me. It is a good bike! but it really is (for me just a tide me over bike til I can get something bigger and better.)

Can't stop there though, so I thought I'd give it a more classic look and a few weeks and a few hundred bucks later a V7 Classic tank off Ebay arrived in the mail.

................... ................ and so it begins...........

Offline Calijackalbob

• Hatchling
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2020, 09:06:36 AM »
I had grand visions of creating a Breva - Le Mans replica with a 750s Monoposto seat, but eventually found that the dimensions of the bike are just too short to house the le Man's Monoposto seat and not look ridiculous, so I figured..........

just fit the V7 tank and modify the original seat to suit and have a modernish, classic looking bike.....

I got a second set of chrome Ace bars,,,,,,,,,,,,, a bit wider so they wouldn't hit the tank at full lock, and are SHINIER!

It was a bit of mucking around getting the tank to fit. I had to cut down the front posts with the rubber mounts to get the tank on and relocate the coils, but it all worked out fine. The seat needs to go to an upholsterer to get it looking tidy and I have to change the sidecovers, but it was coming along nicely and the I got hit hit by a bus!

Offline Calijackalbob

• Hatchling
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2020, 09:22:24 AM »
A bit of damage done. The most frustrating thing is the Bus company weren't interested in paying for their dickhead driver's mistake, pulling out into my lane and turning while I was next to him. I hit his front wheel when he turned and hit the road, was carted off to hospital, but luckily nothing broken except for bike parts: handlebars, mirrors, exhaust etc, etc.....

I took the bastards to court, but the legal process is long and complicated and two adjournments and nearly a year later it still hasn't been resolved. f***ing pissed off! Nearly a year chasing the bastards to get justice and I haven't been able to continue the transformation. The bike remains a work in progress halted by a bus.

Fortunately, finances have improved a bit and I got myself a maniac bike which I'm tinkering with. Say hello to my little friend a 1200 rollerised Griso.

f***ing awesome bike! Woo hoo! I love it.
So far stripped and polished the handlebars, exhaust pipes and radiator covers, put a Dart flyscreen on and am planning on repainting it red, so it goes faster.
Anyway...... I go back to court for the third and final time and hopefully get paid out by the bus company, so I'll have a few bucks to throw at the Breva. Watch this space.

Bob.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 09:24:41 AM by Calijackalbob »

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2020, 03:20:44 PM »
Good to see you up and running again Bob.

Hope you get your justice before our troubling times close the courts down.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline stefanb1994

• New Egg
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2020, 03:49:12 PM »
Hi @Calijackalbob,

How is your Breva to caferacer conversion project going?

I was thinking about doing the same thing to my Breva. However I also was thinking about lowering the front of the bike by  lowering/piercing the front fork a few centimeters (+- 3cm) through the triple clamp. Do you think this is a good idea, and what will the results on the bikes or the frames geometrics be? How does the bike handly by doing this? I am hoping this will make the bike look more "tough".

I also was thinking about installing clip ons on it (the V7 III racer type). Do you guys have any experience with this?

I found this heavily customized Breva on the internet and really like its clean looks. https://www.bikeexif.com/moto-guzzi-breva-750-cafe-racer

Let me know what you think.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2020, 04:38:05 PM »
Jeez Cali, if there’s one thing I like as much as your Breva refit, it’s your turn of phrase..
Loved the metaphorical slap in the face with the bus thing, a beautiful bit of understated anticlimacticismnes s... :thumb: :bow:
Look forward to more of your writings, but remember you’re not just being read by Aussies and Poms.

Offline Calijackalbob

• Hatchling
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2020, 06:12:40 AM »
Hi @Calijackalbob,

How is your Breva to caferacer conversion project going?

I was thinking about doing the same thing to my Breva. However I also was thinking about lowering the front of the bike by  lowering/piercing the front fork a few centimeters (+- 3cm) through the triple clamp. Do you think this is a good idea, and what will the results on the bikes or the frames geometrics be? How does the bike handly by doing this? I am hoping this will make the bike look more "tough".

I also was thinking about installing clip ons on it (the V7 III racer type). Do you guys have any experience with this?

I found this heavily customized Breva on the internet and really like its clean looks. https://www.bikeexif.com/moto-guzzi-breva-750-cafe-racer

Let me know what you think.

Hi Stephan.
THe Bus company's insurance co was ordered to pay up a decent sum, so the bike has had a few presents and is coming along nicely. I know I am overcapitalising on the bike, but don't care. The process of customising is reward in itself. I don't have any plans to sell the bike, so whatever I put into it doesn't matter. If I did sell it, I wouldn't expect to recoup all the dollars flung at it.

(There's a very nicely done Nevada in Australia for sale at the moment that has had a V7 makeover, chrome tank and all. The only thing that looks different is the rocker covers. Anyway, the guy must have spent a lot on it and foolishly thinks he can get more money for it than an actual V7 racer that is a decade or so younger! Dreamer.)

Anyway, here's what she looks like at the moment.

Le Man's sidecovers, Cut down seat and ducktail, Ace bars, a Dart style flyscreen, $100 mufflers and new suspenders. Just waiting on my Griso to get painted, then the Breva will get a fresh coat of paint and seat professionally reupholstered and it will be finished.

Now to your questions..... dropping the forks in the tripleclamps. Personally I wouldn't recommend it. It will alter the steering geometry, rake and trail and thus the handling characteristics and could make it really bad. (Unless you get a pro suspension dude to set you up front and rear.)

When I put the new shocks on, they were 5cm shorter than the originals, and this made the front sit a little higher than the back. It felt great, looked cool and seemed to handle ok til I got into a high speed sweeping turn and it all went to shit. My arse end was wobbling all over the place like a plate of jelly at 100kmh. Not nice.
If you look at this pic, you will see my response to that. I got a local engineer to machine up extensions to give me back those lost 5cm (you can see them at the bottom of the shock.)... and viola, the sweet predictable Breva handling has returned.

Clip on's are cool, I put some on my Bellagio and they worked and looked great. I put Ace Clubman bars on the Breva, and like the more aggressive riding posture. Ace bars have the same sort of look and stance as clip ons, but the range of height adjustment is more limited,.... the higher you go, the closer they are to the tank, the lower you go, the further forward, which stretches you out..... but I found a sweet spot. The thing is with clip ons or ace bars, the long distance comfort level suffers and you might end up with very sore wrists. The positive side is, you can get great CNC aluminium clip ons for about $50 on fleabay, or splash out on some Tomasellis for $300.

I just had a close look at my breva and was reminded why I opted for Ace bars instead of clip ons for the Breva. Clip ons attach to the forks. If you put them on, the clamps on the forks will be perilously close
to the tank and will also necessitate buying or making different headlight and instrument brackets as there is no way the clamps will have room otherwise, AND clip ons will be lower and further forward, making wrist pain much more likely. I chose to forego all this hassle and use Ace bars. Another plus with Ace bars is that if a bus hits you and bends the bars 7cm on one side and 12cm on the other, they still won't hit the tank. Check it out. Exactly the same bars, new ones on top showing how much the first set was bent in the accident.

I got mine here.... https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Handlebars-Ace-Bars-Clubman-Chrome-7-8-Cafe-Racer-Bobber-Vintage-Custom/142129479548?hash=item211793bf7c:g:wBEAAOSw~uVfSKkF&frcectupt=true

If you go for Ace bars, get the longest ones you can. These are 71cm end to end, which leaves (just) enough room for the clutch cable to be routed comfortably. The first set I got was a bit shorter and the cable was hard up on the instruments and the brake hose rubbed on the dial. Looked the business, but didn't work the best.

Anyway, I will be posting a very detailed write up on the transformation sometime after I'm done, so keep an eye out for it. In the meantime good luck with your project.
Now, back to the garage to pull my Griso apart, so I can get it painted.
Cheers.

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2020, 03:51:06 PM »
Great job. Keep up the good work.

A few comments, hopefully helpful -

Re bars - the Breva has the same headlight subframe as the V7, so clip ons should work OK, even though there's not much room in there. The Tarozzi's fit on the V7, but the V7 Racer ones are a bit slimmer on the fork tubes & fit better, I should think.

In the cupboard waiting, I've a set of adjustable Ace bars, which might better avoid interference with the tank - I'll take a photo, if you're interested. I use the Laverda style multi adjustables myself on the V7C (vesrsions available from Raask, Motone (UK) &  TEK (UK)). These require more experimentation to find the sweet spot - all day comfort with NO weight on the wrists - not for you - you've already found the Ace's sweet spot.

Any of these may benefit from using the Racer cables - they are a tad shorter.

Rocker Covers - The 2TB motors can be prettied up using the smallblock rocker covers (from the V50, V65, early Nevadas & early V7R's) - a straight swap, same gaskets.

k

The first are from a carbed Nevada - bead blasted, and the second are standard small block. BTW the head protectors are still available. Work very well, too.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline Calijackalbob

• Hatchling
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2022, 08:43:44 PM »
Finished my Breva Cafe racer. I am justifiably proud of the results. Looks like it cam from Mandello that way.  Check it out here https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=110998.0

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2022, 10:23:34 PM »
Shorty posted a Craigslist ad for a cheap stock Yamaha SR500.  That would be a good candidate.

The Breva 750 does not seem like a good start for a cafe' racer to me, but I could see it customized a bit, clip-ons or drag bars, fender eliminator or removed altogether, rear sets, cafe' seat, drop the headlight and flatten the dash out. 

If real serious, replace the tank, loose the air box and relocate the battery, along with a bunch of other changes.  Your taste and budget are the only limiting factors.

Regarding "girls" bike.  I kind of liked ours when it had stock bars, but the wife changed to bars more comfortable to her and now the bike seems way to cramped for me.  Also I'm not a fan of the seat shape, but Debra can ride it all day and still want more.  She thinks it's the most comfortable bike, ergos wise, she has ever ridden.

The SR 500 has an architecture that lends itself pretty easily to cafe, bobber, flat track and vintage Brit conversions.  Still I would be more adverse to modifying an SR than a small block. All that being said, everyone has the right to modify any bike any way they want.  I just wish I had the chops to pull one off.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2022, 05:16:56 PM »
Looks good. :thumb: :thumb:

Yesterdays ride with a friend who has a 1050 KTM made me realise just how good the Breva is in the tight stuff.  Even with bimbling along on the Breva I was still having to wait for him.  Bit different once the twisties opened up a bit. :grin:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here