Author Topic: Jay Leno gets clotheslined by wire  (Read 1682 times)

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
Jay Leno gets clotheslined by wire
« on: January 27, 2023, 11:46:47 AM »
Wow.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/27/entertainment/jay-leno-motorcycle-accident/index.html

" The comedian, who has a standup residency in Vegas, explained that he had been testing out a 1940 Indian motorcycle when he noticed the smell of leaking gasoline.

“So I turned down a side street and cut through a parking lot, and unbeknownst to me, some guy had a wire strung across the parking lot but with no flag hanging from it,” Leno said. “So, you know, I didn’t see it until it was too late. It just clothesline me and, boom, knocked me off the bike.”
Red 90 Mille GT

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
Re: Jay Leno gets clotheslined by wire
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2023, 12:11:04 PM »
Just saw that.  He’s lucky the wire was low, weak, whatever..  one of my best friends got clotheslined on his Honda when we were seniors in high school.  It was a stronger cable/wire rope that was hanging low only 2-3 inches off ground but it kicked up, broke his esophagus, nearly died, couldn't speak with more than a whisper for years after that.

Article also said cnbc has cancelled his Jay Leno’s Garage show.  I’ve only seen a couple of episodes on Youtube.  time passes on..
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2023, 12:35:11 PM »
1979 or so, I was riding my first Ambassador in Yuba City ,CA on a city four lane, about forty mph. On the left at an intersection a truck had knocked over a utility pole. On my right there was an elderly couple trying desperately to get my attention. I looked just in time to spot a wire from the utility pole draped across the road about neck height. I ducked my head below the windshield. The wire hit the windshield and went over me. I looked for that elderly couple but they were not there anymore. Any time I see a pole askew I think of that.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline drdwb

• Gaggle Hero
    • backfeelsgreat.com
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2023, 12:38:08 PM »
I’d say it might be possible that due to his age he may not be thinking as quickly or clearly as he once was. I’d also say facing the same circumstances I’d have probably done the same, in both instances, with less publicized results. Personally I never really cared for the guys humor or a lot of his public material. However, I do admire and envy the guy having the toys I only see online, at shows or in books. And that he can and does some of the maintenance to keep them running. It probably helps to know that if he digs into an antique carburetor and screws it up he has the staff or money to fix his screw ups. Just my opinion. Ride on Jay.
07 Norge, 05 Baby Breva, 04 Stone  Touring , 03 EV, 82 650 Maxim 79 XS750 Special 78XS1100 Teraplane side car

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2023, 12:38:08 PM »

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2023, 12:39:11 PM »
I got clotheslined when I was about 12 on my BMX bike ripping through a neighbor's yard that had a HAM radio tower .

That was the LAST time I cut through that yard!   :thumb:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Online jrt

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2023, 12:41:41 PM »
He's having a rough couple of months.  For his sake, I hope bad luck doesn't come in threes.   

L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2023, 04:42:06 PM »
That could happen to anyone.  A warning to all of us cutting through private property, keep an eye for a wire or rope at the entrance.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 11:05:37 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2023, 05:09:47 PM »
Whe I lived in SC people would stretch cables/chains across the entrances to private property. I remember you had to have it run though a section of PVC pipe to prevent people from trying to cut through (presumably at night) and decapitating themselves.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2023, 05:28:20 PM »
Whe I lived in SC people would stretch cables/chains across the entrances to private property. I remember you had to have it run though a section of PVC pipe to prevent people from trying to cut through (presumably at night) and decapitating themselves.

-AJ

Not sure of any wide conspiracy here in SC beyond folks trying to keep others from dumping trash where they shouldn’t, but the cable that got Jeff was so close to the ground you could step on it & put it in the mud.  I know because I did exactly that with it a day or two later..  He thought he could ride over it on his XR500 (really tall) with no issues.  Nope.  Apparently He was going fast enough so it caught, kicked up and got him.  Not cool..
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline MMRanch

• MMRanch
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Evil wins if Good Men do Nothing
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2023, 10:52:20 PM »
Hay  John A

Now you know what your "Guardian Angels look like !    You might find them again in some old family photo album ?      Really ! 

I've had similar experiences ... there when ya need them and gone when ya look back for them !  :cool:

2016 V7-II Stone
2022 Royal Enfield Meteor Stellar Blue

Offline Enzo Toma

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2023, 11:22:47 PM »
Jeez, the poor guy can't catch a break. Isn't that the urban legend behind ape hangars, them being used to prevent motorcyclists from running into wires strung across the road, or brooms stuck out windows while lane splitting in California in the 60s?

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2023, 09:40:49 AM »
Jeez, the poor guy can't catch a break. Isn't that the urban legend behind ape hangars, them being used to prevent motorcyclists from running into wires strung across the road, or brooms stuck out windows while lane splitting in California in the 60s?
Wouldn't surprise me a bit. Back in the '60's there was a lot of animosity towards bikers, there was a lot of this kind of thing being done. I was run off the road a couple of times. My buddy and I were once even verbally abused by a cop in RI.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline Stretch

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2023, 09:49:47 AM »
72 years old, and he's still riding and having fun.   :wink:

(Not that getting clothes-lined is having so much fun, but you know what I mean.....)

Crashing a motorbike and setting one's face on fire is pretty a pretty exciting
lifestyle for a septuagenarian.     :shocked:  :grin:

I'm glad he wasn't too badly hurt, and I hope that he enjoys many more years of riding!

-Stretch

1967? Change Jiang M1M
1978 Yamaha SR500
1987 BMW K75S
2011 Kawasaki KLR650
2011 Triumph Rocket III Touring
2015 Triumph Trophy
2017 Moto Guzzi 1400 California Touring

Online blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2023, 10:32:39 AM »
I read somewhere that the story on "ape hangers" actually goes back to WWI when the militaries of both sides would stretch wires over know routes that couriers took and that the purpose was as stated, to avoid decapitation.  May be true or not, but makes logical sense.  Now, they are a fashion statement.
Blue Guzz

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2023, 02:10:29 PM »
Jeez, the poor guy can't catch a break.
I do take your point as you put and understand your meaning.
But do you really want to say of Jay Leno…
“…the poor guy can’t catch a break ?”  :undecided:

Offline Enzo Toma

• Hatchling
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2023, 02:49:01 PM »
I do, that's a rough few months for anyone to go through.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2023, 02:51:09 PM »
I do, that's a rough few months for anyone to go through.
Is he unwell or something ?

Offline Enzo Toma

• Hatchling
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2023, 03:12:05 PM »
Did you read the article? It mentions the extent of his latest injuries. He has broken bones that are still healing. All that after having recovered from second degree burns, nothing to scoff at.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2023, 03:20:09 PM »
Did you read the article?
Nah I didn’t, but then again he didn’t read mine.

But I’ve no reason not to empathise with the guy, I reckon as privileged “entertainers” go, he’s one of the more likeable. I hope he does ok, do you think he’d have health insurance ?
Pretty important over there as I understand… :popcorn: :whip2:
Also you claim that I scoffed at his circumstances….Nah I didn’t, but I did not need to find out about what happened to the “poor” guy, to smell the irony in the text of your post.
I’ll further bet that when he drags his poor butt of to “work” for his next Vegas gig, he’ll garner as many laughs as he can from his recent misadventure.
Am I the “bad guy” for not declaring a national day of mourning ?
But again you misread me, I don’t derive any degree of mirth from his bad luck, having seen his injuries I don’t doubt for one second that he’s had a hard time.
Looks pretty gnarly.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 03:38:14 PM by Huzo »

Offline Enzo Toma

• Hatchling
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2023, 03:46:15 PM »
It might be a language difference, I did not mean poor in any ironic sense having to do with wealth. Poor as in unfortunate circumstances. Privilege, fame, and fortune don't save the corporeal body. He's an elderly man with injuries that are tough to heal at that age.

He's indeed very likable. I met him briefly when he gave a tour of his Burbank garage to me and a bunch of other riders last year. Not many people can walk up to a bunch of riders on antique bikes and quickly observe what features and modifications were in place enabling the bikes to be ridden cross country more reliably, and shoot the shit about them with the riders. He's certainly keen on old bikes.

Offline actwin

• New Egg
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2023, 03:47:21 PM »
My wife and I met Jay backstage at one of his shows in Cleveland back in the 80's. Super nice guy. About 3 months later we got an autographed picture in the mail without asking for it. This was before he got the Tonight Show gig. Would love a tour of his collection.

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2023, 04:07:37 PM »
Jay also got upsidedown riding with Riggle in the Hemi Under Glass. He wasn't hurt.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline Air-Cooled

• Gosling
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2023, 04:29:39 PM »
It might be a language difference, I did not mean poor in any ironic sense having to do with wealth. Poor as in unfortunate circumstances. Privilege, fame, and fortune don't save the corporeal body. He's an elderly man with injuries that are tough to heal at that age.

He's indeed very likable. I met him briefly when he gave a tour of his Burbank garage to me and a bunch of other riders last year. Not many people can walk up to a bunch of riders on antique bikes and quickly observe what features and modifications were in place enabling the bikes to be ridden cross country more reliably, and shoot the shit about them with the riders. He's certainly keen on old bikes.

Enzo, I fully understand your meaning of 'poor guy.'  He's a likable motorcyclist who first got burned and now with broken bones. That's some bad misfortune.  The reply from another member asking if Leno was "unwell or something"  was sarcastic and IMO inappropriate.  And the "he didn't read mine"  about the article was equally obnoxious.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 04:33:23 PM by Air-Cooled »
'73 Moto Guzzi V7 Sport, '16 Moto Guzzi Stornello, '14 Harley Ultra Classic, '12 Harley Wide Glide, '97 Honda XR600R

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2023, 04:39:27 PM »
Enzo, I fully understand your meaning of 'poor guy.'  He's a likable motorcyclist who first got burned and now with broken bones. That's some bad misfortune.  The reply from another member asking if Leno was "unwell or something"  was sarcastic and IMO inappropriate.  And the "he didn't read mine"  about the article was equally obnoxious.
Okaayyy then…
In Australia if you want to make a point of some magnitude, you suggest something of equally small importance.
Like…
There was an earthquake in New Zealand 9.0 on the Richter scale…
We’d say…
“Jeez mate, ya’ had a little bit of a shake recently..”
It’s “dark’ or “non politically correct” and when deilivered in the direction of a rough and tumble character like JL, it’s considered welcome.
But just like our hero, sometimes the joke is ok, just the wrong people in the audience..
Sarcastic…?
Perhaps just a little.

Offline Air-Cooled

• Gosling
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2023, 04:45:24 PM »
Yeah, your comments are sarcastic and obnoxious.  And it has nothing to do with Australia.
'73 Moto Guzzi V7 Sport, '16 Moto Guzzi Stornello, '14 Harley Ultra Classic, '12 Harley Wide Glide, '97 Honda XR600R

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2023, 05:16:09 PM »
Yeah, your comments are sarcastic and obnoxious.  And it has nothing to do with Australia.
Subjective assessment, but equally valid as a point of view.

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2023, 06:12:00 PM »
Nah I didn’t, but then again he didn’t read mine.

But I’ve no reason not to empathise with the guy, I reckon as privileged “entertainers” go, he’s one of the more likeable. I hope he does ok, do you think he’d have health insurance ?
Pretty important over there as I understand… :popcorn: :whip2:
Also you claim that I scoffed at his circumstances….Nah I didn’t, but I did not need to find out about what happened to the “poor” guy, to smell the irony in the text of your post.
I’ll further bet that when he drags his poor butt of to “work” for his next Vegas gig, he’ll garner as many laughs as he can from his recent misadventure.
Am I the “bad guy” for not declaring a national day of mourning ?
But again you misread me, I don’t derive any degree of mirth from his bad luck, having seen his injuries I don’t doubt for one second that he’s had a hard time.
Looks pretty gnarly.

Huzo, you're not the bad guy.

Some people have senses of humor that have very narrow ranges of acceptance.  Could be nature or nurture. lt's kinda like Goldilocks and the Three Bears.  The porridge is either too hot or too cold, the bed is either too soft or too firm.

Also, currently, many parts of the US are going thru a fad where expressing sympathy or outrage on the internet is considered sensitive, caring and enlightened.  Nothing demonstrates compassion and open mindedness in the US today more than choosing to be offended and chastising someone on the internet.

It's a cultural thing.  Stay "thick skinned!"  You will be much happier in the long run!

Ironically enough, Jay Leno seems to have a pretty good sense of humor.  I seriously doubt he would be offended by any of your comments or opinions.
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2023, 06:16:19 PM »
Huzo,

If you really want to experience the "senses of humor" and "senses of no humor" in America today, check out some of Dave Chappelle's specials on Netflix from the last couple of years.  Brilliant analysis.

Also check out the movie "My Cousin Vinny."  As I have told dozens of my co-workers from Europe: "You will never understand America until you watch My Cousin Vinny at least three times!"

"What did you say?"
"Wat?  Wad I say?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SL4HdaZXuOw
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 06:22:26 PM by SIR REAL ED »
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2023, 08:51:56 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SL4HdaZXuOw
Yes…!
The unbridled exploitation of the rusted on humour that only back woods trailer park stereotypes possess.
We have a similar thing in Australia called “Houso’s” …(Not Huzo’s) https://youtu.be/U0webLElNyQ
These are public housing lifers that even the real public housing residents identify with.
The REALLY funny bit is….That’s sorta’ how it actually is…!
Anywayyy, where were we ?
Oh yes…that’s right.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 09:23:48 PM by Huzo »

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2023, 09:27:35 PM »
Yes…!
The unbridled exploitation of the rusted on humour that only back woods trailer park stereotypes possess.
We have a similar thing in Australia called “Houso’s” …(Not Huzo’s) https://youtu.be/U0webLElNyQ
These are public housing lifers that even the real public housing residents identify with.
The REALLY funny bit is….That’s sorta’ how it actually is…!

Agreed. 

My poor breeding and "Lord of the Flies" upbringing resulted in a wide open sense of humor. 
Those with no siblings, and parents who groomed them well often seem overly sensitive, IMO.

Culture and humor are very subjective. 

Kinda like tastes in motorcycles and oil!! - Guzzi content

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here