Author Topic: Progress Report On My Journey Into Homelessness  (Read 19750 times)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Progress Report On My Journey Into Homelessness
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2015, 08:48:23 AM »
Not to hijack, but I THINK the only question with the Norge is potential dash issues that could strand him with a very small support network, while the Sportster is carbureted, rubbermounted, and ubiquitous lending extreme ease in both parts and general support.

On a trip like this, though, will "stranding" and "delays" be that much of an issue?    This isn't going to be an "If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium" whirlwind tour trying to make it back home by the 15th or you lose your job.

This sounded more like a "Then Came Bronson" trip with a bedroll on the handlebars (hmmm, maybe THAT'S why a Sportster, eh?), where IFF something breaks, it might mean a day or two in a Super 8 or KOA while Curtis or Dave or someone on the list overnights a used, working dash to the stranded gypsy?

What difference does it make when you get home?    Me, I think I'd do this trip on my BSA A10 just for the fun of it ..... !

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2015, 09:26:53 AM »
On a trip like this, though, will "stranding" and "delays" be that much of an issue?    This isn't going to be an "If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium" whirlwind tour trying to make it back home by the 15th or you lose your job.

This sounded more like a "Then Came Bronson" trip with a bedroll on the handlebars (hmmm, maybe THAT'S why a Sportster, eh?), where IFF something breaks, it might mean a day or two in a Super 8 or KOA while Curtis or Dave or someone on the list overnights a used, working dash to the stranded gypsy?

What difference does it make when you get home?

Only Crusty can answer that, but would someone just happen to have that used working dash? If not the difference might be $900.00 dash, may or may not be in stock, might set him back for weeks.

Some might find that part of the potential adventure, some might not.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2015, 09:56:47 AM »
This sounded more like a "Then Came Bronson" trip with a bedroll on the handlebars (hmmm, maybe THAT'S why a Sportster, eh?), where IFF something breaks, it might mean a day or two in a Super 8 or KOA while Curtis or Dave or someone on the list overnights a used, working dash to the stranded gypsy?Lannis

He needs to get the knit cap and the Ray Ban Wayfarers.

Knit caps come in handy keeping bald heads, like mine, warm and the Wayfarers stop eyestrain.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 09:58:25 AM by not-fishing »
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2015, 10:14:24 AM »

Only Crusty can answer that, but would someone just happen to have that used working dash? If not the difference might be $900.00 dash, may or may not be in stock, might set him back for weeks.

Some might find that part of the potential adventure, some might not.

If we were really worried about that issue, none of us would ride Guzzis.   Typically, the people who send "Help, I'm stuck in Lodi with a bad afterburner igniter, can anyone help?" get back on the road pretty quick.   This trip is no different ....

Lannis

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2015, 10:14:24 AM »

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2015, 10:19:42 AM »
If we were really worried about that issue, none of us would ride Guzzis.   

I think that's too much of a generalization.

Typically, the people who send "Help, I'm stuck in Lodi with a bad afterburner igniter, can anyone help?" get back on the road pretty quick.   This trip is no different ....

I think on Crusty can tell us what is or is not different about this trip, as it's all about what HE WANTS.

An acceptable risk (of delay or trouble) to one person isn't the same to the next.

Personally I don't like how the dash immobilizer is integrated into certain (all?) CARC Guzzis... and if that's a big part of his reasoning on the Norge, I totally get it.

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2015, 10:41:22 AM »

I think on Crusty can tell us what is or is not different about this trip, as it's all about what HE WANTS.

Crusty already knows what HE WANTS ... he doesn't need our help with knowing what HE WANTS.

I suspect he posted his thoughts here on WG because he wants to know what WE THINK about what he wants.   I don't need your help in knowing what I THINK about this trip.

I THINK he's going to have a great time on whatever he rides, that his Norge will probably sell pretty quick at the price he's asking, and that just about ANY running motorcycle would be a good mount for this effort ....  ;-T

Lannis   

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2015, 11:06:48 AM »
Crusty already knows what HE WANTS ... he doesn't need our help with knowing what HE WANTS.

Oy vey...

... Crusty already explained in another thread why he didn't want to take the Norge.

Your post specifically said:

"If we were really worried about that issue, none of us would ride Guzzis."

Obviously that's too general, and that's what I said, that basically I thought you assumed the Crusty or myself or any of us couldn't feel the way that (I believe he and I do) or "we" wouldn't ride Guzzis, and well, that's not accurate.

Maybe that's how YOU feel.

Maybe that's how SOME others here feel.

But not ALL of us.

I suspect he posted his thoughts here on WG because he wants to know what WE THINK about what he wants.   I don't need your help in knowing what I THINK about this trip.

::)  ::)  ::)

Perhaps that's what he is looking for. Although I'd suggest that this thread wasn't about us questioning his choice of bike. I get the impression he's just updating us on where his thought process has gone since the original thread on bike choice.

More importantly I'm not offering you any help, nor suggesting what you should or shouldn't think.

You seemed to suggest CRUSTY SHOULD THINK THAT "this trip is no different" from your example and, that therefore he should not feel the way HE does regarding the choice of bike.

I was pointing out reasonable possibilities why he (and I) might disagree with you.

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2015, 12:13:52 PM »
Everybody loves an argument, eh?

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2015, 12:25:29 PM »
Everybody loves an argument, eh?

Well, this was more like a "discussion".

In a "discussion", we're trying to learn something by taking opposing positions and defending or explaining them.

In an "argument", you're just trying to prove that the other guy is wrong.   That's not this!   :D

Lannis

Offline Demar

• Hooper drives the boat Chief.
  • Gaggle Hero
  • There's someone in my head but it's not me.
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2015, 02:39:33 PM »
He needs to get the knit cap and the Ray Ban Wayfarers.

And Bonnie Bedelia
I'd much rather ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

2012 MG Stelvio NTX
2010 Bonneville T100
1953 Galletto 175

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
  • You can't put a price on Worthlessness.
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2015, 02:43:19 PM »
Good grief; go away for a few hours and look at the all the turmoil! Yes, I have a number of reasons for choosing a Harley over my Norge; and no, your opinion on my choice is not what I was looking for.  :P
I thought I explained why I chose a Sportster, but here's a little more detail.

In 1979, I was living on the road and putting on quite a few miles with my friends who were based out of Louisville, KY. They all rode Harleys, and I noticed that their bikes didn't break any more than my Guzzi did; which is to say not very often. On one trip, my friend David's Superglide burned up a valve, so we parked the bike in George's back yard and pulled the head and took it over to a retired Harley mechanic's house, one evening. The next afternoon, we picked up the head, It had new valves and guides and the mechanic also gave us a new head gasket. We went back to George's house and put the head back on the bike and it was up and running in less than 24 hours from when we started the job.
Three weeks later, David and I were in Minnesota when my U-joint broke up. We were passing through Minneapolis at the time, and were fortunate to have the 850 start messing up just before a Rest Area. I knew what the problem was, and while I started the process of pulling the Swingarm, David went into the building to call a dealer. I had the Swingarm off pretty quickly, and had the broken chunks of U-joint in my hand when David came out and said, "Don't take it apart! Nobody's got one." To make a long story short, the one and only Guzzi dealer in Minnesota came out with a trailer and picked up my bike and took it to his shop for a month while I rode a Greyhound bus back to Louisville so I could get back to work on time. When I picked the bike up, I had to re-do the job out in the parking lot because the kid who worked on my bike didn't know Guzzis and I had to straighten a few things out.

My oldest friend, Bill unexpectedly died last May. Bill was a bit of a Luddite. He felt that all motorcycle evolution reached it's nadir with the Iron Motor Sportster. (Bill also felt that all Jeep evolution peaked with the 1944 Willys MB; he was kind of eccentric) Bill was living in LA, and we had been talking about doing a cross country ride together on Iron Sportsters. He had two; his 1985 Desert Rat and a 1978 XLH that was in a shop in Malden, MA being gone through. He4 would ride out here on the Rat, then he and I would ride out to LA on the two bikes. This summer, I plan to ride to some of the places Bill and I had talked about seeing on our trip.

Quite frankly, I have lost faith in my Norge. Mechanically, it's as solid as an anvil, but I don't trust the electrics. I have a real fear that I'll be someplace like Pahrump, Nevada and have the dash decide that my key is no longer acceptable, and that the local Guzzi dealer will have some part time kid as a mechanic who has little or no experience with Norges.  I'll get stuck with a repair tab that will exceed my monthly income. It's hard to shake off the ghosts of the past.

I've owned four Sportsters over the years and four Buells (seven if you count my ex's two and her daughter's Blast), and am familiar with them.   I've pretty much decided on a Sportster, and if Guido and I can reach an agreement, I'll be on an '06 1200 R (That's the one with dual front discs). Then again, Someone has offered me a smokin' deal on a Buell S3-T and that's pulling at me pretty strongly, too. I'll make my decision when the Norge sells.

I hope this explains why I've made my choice. I'm going to be living on a fixed and pretty meager income. I want cheap and easy repairs and a plentiful parts supply.

Oh; I'd gladly take Bonnie Bedelia for a ride.  ;)
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

'07 Norge

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2015, 05:40:12 PM »
For cold sleeping, I have a fleece Guzzi neckwarmer/cap depending on what you want to do with it with a drawstring. Works great. KevaandLannis.. I agree with both of you.  ;D
That said, I have a good 40 degree bag that I've used to barely below freezing. I would call that the minimum temp bag, as long as you include another "liner" bag. Both of those will pack quite small. As mentioned above, "I" avoid down. If it gets wet, you're screwed. YMMV, of course.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline cwiseman

• Gaggle Mentor
    • C&D Motorsports
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2015, 05:55:08 PM »
I'm centrally located between Indy, Springfield, and DuQuoin so if your in the area and need a place to crash or workshop let me know!
And I plan on attending a few flat track races too, my favorite is Lima OH! Those short tracks are a blast to watch!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 05:57:15 PM by cwiseman »
Moto Guzzi Robinson/C & D Motorsports
618-544-RIDE
Moto Guzzi dealer in South Eastern Illinois
Personal rides 2007 Calvin, 72 Eldo, V7 Classic, 75 RD350, GasGas Pampera 250 + a few others
2-stroke street bike enthusiast

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2015, 09:49:37 AM »
For some of this stuff, like stoves, chairs, shade tarps, etc, don't purchase one right away.  Wait and see how you travel and what you need.  If you do need coffee first thing, then get some heat tabs first.  If they work then stay with them.  If you find you want more then get a stove that fits your needs.  Same with the other stuff.  I rarely set up my chair for an overnight stop.  There are usually tables at the camp grounds.  Just all depends on where you pitch the tent.

PS cook pots.  I don't have one.  I just keep the tin cans from soup/beans/stew/etc.  Not elegant but they work good.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 09:52:27 AM by charlie b »
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2015, 09:54:52 AM »
For some of this stuff, like stoves, chairs, shade tarps, etc, don't purchase one right away.  Wait and see how you travel and what you need.  If you do need coffee first thing, then get some heat tabs first.  If they work then stay with them.  If you find you want more then get a stove that fits your needs.  Same with the other stuff.  I rarely set up my chair for an overnight stop.  There are usually tables at the camp grounds.  Just all depends on where you pitch the tent.

That really makes sense. KISS applies here.
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

'07 Norge

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2015, 10:00:25 AM »
That really makes sense. KISS applies here.

This little stove made from a beer can actually works, by the way, speaking of KISS.    Next step up from trioxane ....

http://vimeo.com/64726512

Lannis

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2015, 10:21:49 AM »
I like that stove. Here's a variation of the stove that somebody posted over at Badweb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Okm_irIXFw

'07 Norge

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2015, 01:43:44 PM »
There are usually tables at the camp grounds.

This reminds me that I once did a camping trip without a tent -- just carried a couple of light tarps. One went under the campground picnic table and the other went over it. Sort of a pain to roll in and out of the shelter (under the bench) but I was 18 and spry then.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2015, 09:52:38 PM »
I just made one of those penny stoves. They're as easy to make as the video makes it look. Tomorrow, I'll get some denatured alcohol, then I'll try it out on Monday after the silicone has had a chance to dry.
Maybe tomorrow, I'll make one of the other stoves and then I can do a comparison.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 09:57:04 PM by Crusty »

'07 Norge

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2015, 04:22:11 AM »
  Why buy a sleeping bag?  Just slice open your taun taun and crawl inside.
  Of course you may find it difficult to get near a girl later on until you have had a really good bath.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 09:58:47 PM by Sasquatch Jim »
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2015, 03:28:05 PM »
Plain old methylated spirit should work in those home made stoves.
New Zealand
2002 Ev tourer (Stalled again...)

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2015, 04:27:01 PM »
Those little ones are cute.

Or, just get a largish can, cut some holes in it and load with twigs  :)  Can be more involved if you want separated combustion chamber and such.  Or, just build a campfire :)  Bonus is it will keep you warm and you'll smell like smoke all night :)

But, out in these parts there are frequently bans on any wood burning and sometimes bans on any exposed flames.  A couple years ago they even banned all outdoor smoking in the area due to the extremely dry conditions.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2015, 06:16:28 PM »
These little alcohol stoves are cute all right, and you *can* build a fire, etc.... but when I get up in the morning, I want coffee, and I want it now.  ;D It's hard to beat a dedicated one burner deal that you just turn on, put your pot of water on, and the water's ready for your lexan French press before you get fresh shorts on.. <shrug>

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Semper-guzzi

• Gaggle Mentor
Re:
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2015, 08:37:53 PM »
A lexan french press? I've only ever seen glass or stainless. There are some nice double walled stainless ones out there.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

2003 California Aluminum RiP :(
2001 Jackal :)

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2015, 07:45:38 AM »
Yep, I had one for camping too.  Worked OK but I am not a coffee snob so it was overkill for me.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re:
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2015, 07:51:05 AM »
A lexan french press? I've only ever seen glass or stainless. There are some nice double walled stainless ones out there.

Camping supply houses. I have a small one for solo trips.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2015, 09:07:02 AM »
Sportsmans Warehouse is where I got mine
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here