Author Topic: Condensed Milk (ngc, NOT AN OIL THREAD)  (Read 9305 times)

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Condensed Milk (ngc, NOT AN OIL THREAD)
« on: January 27, 2015, 11:58:31 AM »
Once again the town is out of milk.  Sometimes it's the eggs, and once when it got really cold, the ice cream melted.  But no milk happens, especially in the winter when these storms keep the supply canoe away, or everything on board the barge freezes.  Oh, there's some soy milk and coconut milk and probably milksnake milk in the ethnic asile, but the dairy shelves are bare.

When this happens I break into my stash of condensed milk -- you know -- the canned stuff -- for my morning coffee.  It tastes like crap, but what are you going to do?  The powdered stuff turns to a lump in the humidity here, and all we have are pictures of the old dairy farm out the road.  When this happened back when I was a kid, until they changed the law, ma took to milking passing grizzlies for the baby's dinner.  It was hard on the bears.  Those of you who've been paying attention know my mom was blind and couldn't tell the poor things apart.  It wasn't so bad when an old sow got overmilked -- I mean -- it's a bear after all -- it can leave it it doesn't like it there.  But you could tell when she got mixed up and overmilked the boars -- darn things would be lined up around the block until traffic control arrived with rock music and M-80's.

But I digress. 

My one problem with the condensed milk is that it's the reader's digest version -- needs to be expanded a bit to make perfect sense.  I pore over the labels (pun intended) looking for the ratio of vodka or whatever to add so's to have real milk, but where they assure me that no cows were harmed in the making of this milk, that it has the dairy council's official okey-dokey (gratuitous M*A*S*H content -- dusty -- did I spell it right?), and a pull-date just outside of mine, there is nothing to suggest that once condensed, a milk can ever be uncondensed.

Anyone know the proper ratio of milk to mixer?

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Condensed Milk (ngc, NOT AN OIL THREAD)
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 12:02:29 PM »
Most of them are 1:1 as in they condensed out 50% of the liquid [water].
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 12:03:35 PM by twhitaker »
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 12:07:44 PM »
Condensed milk was my Dad's preferred coffee creamer. It has sugar and maybe other stuff added. Evaporated milk comes in the same kind of can but not sweetened. Neither tasted like milk to me but I think if you wanted to end with something close milk you would start out with evaporated milk.

Pete

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 12:13:27 PM »
This is normal condensed milk, not the sweetened stuff.  in America they call it evaporated, but ours is in French on account of the Canadians bought the food store and have been systematically replacing regular food with the bilingual kind.  So I was 'translating'  . . . .    ::)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 12:13:27 PM »

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 12:20:59 PM »
Why not get a vacuum sealer w/ canisters and put the powdered milk in there or even seal a days ration in vacuum bags?
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline dlapierre

• Gosling
    • Habitat Farm
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 12:52:47 PM »
 Is the powdered milk of the skim variety...no fat?
I was chatting with a dairy fellow recently about that and he said the powdered milk replacer they use for calves is pretty good and has fat in it. Might try that.
Once upon a time you could buy better quality powdered milk. I dunno why they now seem only produce the skim variety for people. ;)

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 01:04:53 PM »
I've seen that powdered river herd -- dust in the wind, Dusty.  Dust in the wind.

We do the canned rather than powdered because it last longer on a shelf and in the go-kit.  It's generally good until the can rots.  Powdered isn't really 'dry' milk.  If you shrink wrap it, it turns into an insoluble lump, and if it doesn't it will when you unshrinkwrap it and the wet air marinates the powder.

oldbike54

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 01:22:35 PM »
David , my great uncle Cyrus was killed in the great powdered cow war in 19 ought 7 . One little known fact is that the vast powdered cow herds of the Southern Zambezi region were seeded by the herds of the lower Powdered River in Oklahoma after the blight of 19 ought 9 wiped out the entire S.Z.R herd .

Dusty

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 01:55:45 PM »
Man, one can sure tell we are in the middle of winter!  ;D......Not to worry, Guys , spring is just around the corner!   ::)
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 02:01:55 PM »
You're using the wrong "creamer" then again you're probably not Scotch-Irish.

May I suggest this or some other high volume, high proof, least expensive substitute.

Then add some - the cheapest substitute you can find:  

My recipe is in a large mug, three fingers of coffee, 5 Mississippi's of Scotch and a jigger of Bailey's.  Just don't operate power tools or drive machinery for a while after having coffee.

Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 02:25:21 PM »
Grew up with powered milk. Hate the stuff. We also had evaporated milk for some reason (cooking?). That makes for great hot chocolate additive. I really like the taste of it for some reason. Got it mixed it up with Condensed Milk once; cold shiver, not what I was looking for and way way too sweet.

Not a drinker but in the winter it is especially ill advised as it lowers your resistance to freezing to death. On the other hand, that would solve your milk shortage.....  ::)
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 02:37:01 PM »
Is the powdered milk of the skim variety...no fat?
I was chatting with a dairy fellow recently about that and he said the powdered milk replacer they use for calves is pretty good and has fat in it. Might try that.
Once upon a time you could buy better quality powdered milk. I dunno why they now seem only produce the skim variety for people. ;)

One of my customers is very large butter manufacturer. The secondary product is dried milk. The goal is to get all the butterfat for butter and then dry what's left over. Fat also is what spoils and it can't be dried. So low fat powdered milk is what you end up with.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline sturgeon

• Gaggle Mentor
Re:
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 04:27:07 PM »
Canned Carnation in Coffee is a Canuck tradition. Living in northern Canada as a kid, I never tasted fresh milk until I was 9. And when I finally did, I couldn't stand the stuff.
Dyslexics Untie!

11 Yamaha WR250R
14 Moto Guzzi V7S
16 BMW R1200R

Penderic

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 04:46:15 PM »

Don't despair!  More is on its way.  :P

Offline segesta

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 04:48:59 PM »
Slight diversion: back when I was in Liberia they sold regular liquid milk in boxes on the shelf--sealed and pasteurized etc so no refrigeration needed until after the box is opened. They still do this throughout Africa and the Middle East. I was always surprised they didn't sell milk this way in the USA, because it stays good for months until opened... but maybe it's a cultural thing, Americans can't stand to think of milk that isn't cold all the time.
But it seems like it would solve the OP's problem.
--
2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom
2013 Ducati Monster 796
2010 BMW K1300GT

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2015, 05:01:44 PM »
Slight diversion: back when I was in Liberia they sold regular liquid milk in boxes on the shelf--sealed and pasteurized etc so no refrigeration needed until after the box is opened. They still do this throughout Africa and the Middle East. I was always surprised they didn't sell milk this way in the USA, because it stays good for months until opened... but maybe it's a cultural thing, Americans can't stand to think of milk that isn't cold all the time.

It's because it is radiated.  At least that's how it was in Germany.  Kills the stuff that makes it go bad without refrigeration.

Americans won't touch anything that has been radiated.  :)
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

redrider

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2015, 05:11:55 PM »
Might I suggest a wet nurse? How are things in the "Infant Department"? Mother of Invention comes to mind.

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2015, 05:19:00 PM »

We got the same thing in Germany.  It has a shelf life measured in eons, or at last seemed to.  I see it in our local cheap ass supermarket, probably in the upscale ones too.  Parmalat was the brand I was familiar with.  Sailors liked it because it was a good alternative for a long journey.  Parmalat uses a Ultra High Temperature (UHT) process..it is not radiated or whatever that process is.  The stuff is whole milk, not the non fat stuff so all those non fat cows are saved for other medical uses.  Me, I'll take a fat cow any time....it's the dead of winter and it's cold even here in Virginia.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2015, 07:12:11 PM »
it's a tough world once you loose your Mom.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2015, 07:32:05 PM »
RK, you gotta be careful. Dorcia said when she was in the girl scouts.. for one of her badges she had to make cocoa out of three kinds of milk. Condensed, powdered, and regular milk. Anyone that knows her knows that she's a serious chocoholoic, and she figured that was a win win win.
She said after that concoction, it was a really long time before she ever drank any kind of chocolate and milk again.. ;D
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2015, 12:19:44 PM »
I do like evaporated milk on my choco-rice krispies. 

So the serious reply to this silly topic is equal parts ev milk/water?

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2015, 12:46:30 PM »
I remember asking myself the same question......befor e I read the can and it said something to the effect 50% of the liquid had been removed.
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2015, 01:03:16 PM »
I actually keep EVAPORATED not Sweetened CONDENSED milk on hand just for coffee

It's good

For me sweetened condensed milk is for creme caramel, key lime pie, or horchata  and not much good for anything else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2015, 01:04:23 PM »
As to powdered milk, I use the heck out of it.. But for pâté, sausage, meatloaf, or meatballs only

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2015, 01:06:00 PM »
You can also make a decent easy caramel by sinking a can of sweetened condensed in a pot of boiling water for about 20 min

Best vanilla ice cream topping ever

Offline Pfaff!

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Lasciate ogni speranza voi ch'entrate"
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2015, 01:22:52 PM »
Once again the town is out of milk.  Sometimes it's the eggs, and once when it got really cold, the ice cream melted.  But no milk happens, especially in the winter when these storms keep the supply canoe away, or everything on board the barge freezes.  Oh, there's some soy milk and coconut milk and probably milksnake milk in the ethnic asile, but the dairy shelves are bare.

When this happens I break into my stash of condensed milk -- you know -- the canned stuff -- for my morning coffee.  It tastes like crap, but what are you going to do?  The powdered stuff turns to a lump in the humidity here, and all we have are pictures of the old dairy farm out the road.  When this happened back when I was a kid, until they changed the law, ma took to milking passing grizzlies for the baby's dinner.  It was hard on the bears.  Those of you who've been paying attention know my mom was blind and couldn't tell the poor things apart.  It wasn't so bad when an old sow got overmilked -- I mean -- it's a bear after all -- it can leave it it doesn't like it there.  But you could tell when she got mixed up and overmilked the boars -- darn things would be lined up around the block until traffic control arrived with rock music and M-80's.

But I digress. 

My one problem with the condensed milk is that it's the reader's digest version -- needs to be expanded a bit to make perfect sense.  I pore over the labels (pun intended) looking for the ratio of vodka or whatever to add so's to have real milk, but where they assure me that no cows were harmed in the making of this milk, that it has the dairy council's official okey-dokey (gratuitous M*A*S*H content -- dusty -- did I spell it right?), and a pull-date just outside of mine, there is nothing to suggest that once condensed, a milk can ever be uncondensed.

Anyone know the proper ratio of milk to mixer?

Humans who's passed the age of 13 shouldnt drink milk at all, unless as sourmilk or cheese.
Cows milk is intended for calves.
Anders Holt

Breva V 750 ie "Rossinante" '03. Running fine ever since. Sold.
Pushing bikes these days.

"El camino amigo, el camino y nada mas"

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here