Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
General Discussion / Re: Why multis are better - Nerd-alert!
« Last post by sign216 on April 14, 2024, 08:31:00 AM »
The only time I like a lot of cylinders is in my car.  Cycles, simple is more enjoyable.  Car vs bike are two different worlds, with different attributes.
« Last post by Perazzimx14 on April 14, 2024, 07:58:58 AM »
The KTM 1290 Super Duke R

Suzuki Hayabusa

My cousin has a 2023 1290 Adventure R, and the power doesn't really start to build until 4000 rpm and doesn't begin to impress until 5000 rpm, and sitting in top gear under 4000 rpm just hammer the whole driveline. The Busa can be ridden from idle in top without protests. And, like with the 690, try and ride for 50,000 miles and check the condition of the KTM engines vs the Japanese engines. KTM have managed to extract a lot of power for singles and twins, but it does come at a cost, both in longevity and also usefulness in daily city commuting. Admittedly, KTM have upped the quality a lot over the years, but they are still demanding more attention than average.

There are always tradeoff's in performance vs longevity. A NHRA top fuel car pumping out 12,000 HP and speeds over 300 MPH is good for less than 1 mile before needing rebuilt verses a Camry that is 180 HP and will last for 400K. Good/Fast/Cheap pick any two.

Personally I prefer the single and twin cylinder motorcycles and their power output. I also don't care about peak HP at 27 million RPM. I care about usable HP and good power delivery in a sensible RPM range which is what singles and twins tend to do. 

I have had very limited experience on I4 motorcycles but can say i did not like any of them. You had to spool the engines up to 7000+ RPM before they started making power.
General Discussion / Re: MT-07 / FZ-07 spark plug replacement &¤Q%"#&
« Last post by steven c on April 14, 2024, 07:38:13 AM »
 I check the valves on my 650 VStrom , I now have a V85TT.
« Last post by Vagrant on April 14, 2024, 07:18:14 AM »
You must have had a very boring day.
It's time for you to go for a ride and quit thinking.
« Last post by faffi on April 14, 2024, 07:16:49 AM »
The KTM 1290 Super Duke R

Suzuki Hayabusa

My cousin has a 2023 1290 Adventure R, and the power doesn't really start to build until 4000 rpm and doesn't begin to impress until 5000 rpm, and sitting in top gear under 4000 rpm just hammer the whole driveline. The Busa can be ridden from idle in top without protests. And, like with the 690, try and ride for 50,000 miles and check the condition of the KTM engines vs the Japanese engines. KTM have managed to extract a lot of power for singles and twins, but it does come at a cost, both in longevity and also usefulness in daily city commuting. Admittedly, KTM have upped the quality a lot over the years, but they are still demanding more attention than average.

« Last post by faffi on April 14, 2024, 07:04:06 AM »
Those a fair comments, although FI does not make more power than carbs, but they do compensate much better for temperature and altitude etc. I included the DR and the Royal Enfield because both have four valve heads, both are tuned for good torque and not much power, and both are air cooled.

I did think about comparing the KTM 690 to the MT-07 / FZ-07, because they would sit closer to the two sportbikes in comparison. So we can do that now.

Again, adding a cylinder also add power and torque and broaden the useful range of revs where most will ride, but the single does make impressive max power and torque.
General Discussion / Re: It's possible I have a problem.......
« Last post by tazio on April 14, 2024, 07:03:48 AM »
Motorcycles yes, once they are fully serviced and no longer need my attention I get bored with them and the get sold/traded.........
It is possible you have a problem.. though not in this area.
I commend you for keeping these bikes, and others, on the "ACTIVE" list for future owners! :thumb:
General Discussion / V85TT Right cylinder Knock after Winter Storage
« Last post by timonbik on April 14, 2024, 06:59:55 AM »
I've got 2 Guzzi's,  2008 BB 750 and 2021 V85tt with 30,000km on the clock.   This year when I fired the V85tt up after winter storage there was a very distinct knocking sound coming from the right cylinder.  This lasted for a minute or two then went.away.   Bike seems to run fine now.   IF it had hydraulic lifters I would say one had leaked down but I know it doesn't but is the type of sound it made.   Seems to run fine now.   Fresh oil and filter before storage.  Premium fuel with stabil before storage.  Very strange??? Any ideas.
General Discussion / Re: It's possible I have a problem.......
« Last post by Clifton on April 14, 2024, 06:47:15 AM »
Just many similar GS's over the years. Currently only two Hexheads GS's and a water 1250, no you don't have a problem...... perfectly normal. :)
General Discussion / Re: Norge UPPER fairing removal?
« Last post by Huzo on April 14, 2024, 06:23:12 AM »
Take your time mate, just ask more questions if you need.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here