Author Topic: V100 Mandello Merged Threadfest  (Read 112068 times)

Offline weevee

• Gosling
Re: V100 Mandello Merged Threadfest
« Reply #420 on: November 25, 2021, 07:01:30 AM »
The proof will be in the riding - it WILL be an interesting head to head test.

For sure.  I've never owned a BMW in my life, but I will be in the market for a sports-tourer in March 2022 so have been doing my research.  I like the look of the Guzzi (..and I've leaned more towards Italian machines than any others in the past), but looks alone won't sway me one way or another.  So far as I can tell, BMW has all the bases covered on this one.  Every question asked of the new Guzzi (..by myself and a few others on here) is already answered by the R1250RS.  It has massive low-and-mid-range torque / shaft-drive / a centre-stand / a quick-shifter / full luggage availability / it will average around 200mls on an 18L tank (source: R1250RS forum) ~ it complies with Euro 5 emissions etc. etc.)  It even sounds half-decent!  https://youtu.be/ejLLlshzr0U?t=2

A lower price on the Guzzi wouldn't sway me if it falls short of its competitors - so yes, a lot would hinge on a test ride.       

Offline Bpreynolds2

• Gosling
« Reply #421 on: November 25, 2021, 08:11:16 AM »
I understand your wishes, but they are just such.  The V100 is not a focused touring bike, it's a do it all roadster.   Thus 4.6g is right were it needs to be, should be good for 150 miles plus, if you need more than that, take the needed actions.   MG says more bikes to come from this motor, I would be stunned if they didn't produce a touring bike based on it soon.do

Yup. Shoot, I get near 180 miles per tank on my 4.9 gallon KTM and it is a rip snorting machine.  All the newer MGs seem to get good mpg and they all are Euro compliant.  I very greatly suspect you’ll be able to mostly get near 180-200 before bone dry.  If you need more range than this, buy a tourer  :thumb: :grin:
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 08:11:58 AM by Bpreynolds2 »
2020 T120 Bonneville

Online Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #422 on: November 25, 2021, 08:14:33 AM »
Gûzzi has never been about the spec sheet, it's the experience and character. Took me 50 years to discover it.
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #423 on: November 25, 2021, 08:20:57 AM »
The specs don't mean much.  It's a heavy lift to find a motorcycle without enough real world power-especially north of 100bhp.
I'd be SHOCKED if any Guzzi ever competes on the spec sheet power wise-but that ain't everything.  Heck, look at the success of the new V85.

In the end the only thing that really matters for a good long them relationship is how the bike feels and preforms for the owner.  CONSTANTLY on motorcycle forums the power crap is discussed as a be all, end all.  But I'm 100% confident that when most of us ride with other brands of bikes we all arrive at about the same time.  Yes, the fast guys take off-multi brands ridden.  And when you meet up with them (us) you'll find we all enjoyed the trip.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #423 on: November 25, 2021, 08:20:57 AM »

Offline Kildareman

• Hatchling
« Reply #424 on: November 25, 2021, 08:24:21 AM »
The specs don't mean much.  It's a heavy lift to find a motorcycle without enough real world power-especially north of 100bhp.
I'd be SHOCKED if any Guzzi ever competes on the spec sheet power wise-but that ain't everything.  Heck, look at the success of the new V85.

In the end the only thing that really matters for a good long them relationship is how the bike feels and preforms for the owner.  CONSTANTLY on motorcycle forums the power crap is discussed as a be all, end all.  But I'm 100% confident that when most of us ride with other brands of bikes we all arrive at about the same time.  Yes, the fast guys take off-multi brands ridden.  And when you meet up with them (us) you'll find we all enjoyed the trip.

+1.
I'm having more fun riding my V7 850 than I pretty much ever did with my Tiger 800
V7 850 Centenario

Offline spmoto

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #425 on: November 25, 2021, 08:30:17 AM »
Where's the pot holes, frost heaves and crack sealer snot in that video? Sure wasn't filmed in Maine!

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #426 on: November 25, 2021, 08:33:38 AM »
Gûzzi has never been about the spec sheet, it's the experience and character. Took me 50 years to discover it.

It's ok brother, you're not slow, you're just special...  :boozing:
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #427 on: November 25, 2021, 09:07:44 AM »
When I was researching the new Bonnevilles I was really concerned with the 3.8 gallon tank on the T120. But with the mileage I seem to be getting, not enough mileage yet to know for sure, not going to be a problem. And this is a 1200 cc engine but I can't ride as far between stops as I used to. The only stretch I would be concerned about is Tonopah to Ely, 160+ miles. I just would keep it below 80.  :thumb:  Hopefully the Mandello will be thrifty with fuel. My Audace would get an average of 40mpg and it didn't have the biggest tank either, 4.7 which I couldn't quite understand.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #428 on: November 25, 2021, 10:03:36 AM »
I stopped by Westchester Moto Plex in West Chester Pennsylvania yesterday. They sell Moto Guzzi, Aprilia, and Vespa. They have a huge selection of all three brands on the floor.

When I asked him about the new V 100 Mondello, he said that it won’t be arriving until November 2022.

Here are a few pictures of the Moto Guzzi floor display.

2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Offline jrt

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #429 on: November 25, 2021, 10:44:04 AM »
These pictures showed up on Reddit- 
https://imgur.com/a/vQULg34
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Offline nwguy

• Gosling
    • Jim Gallant's home page
« Reply #430 on: November 25, 2021, 02:59:18 PM »
A friend sent me this link showing the v100 with good close ups:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp2SrnljMtA

I originally really liked the looks of the v100, but after seeing close ups I don't like the giant radiator, and the red bike has ugly heat shields on the headers. The active airflow thingies seem frail and like something that's not work after a few years. Maybe I'll just paint my Norge green.
Current:  08 Norge, 06 Suzuki Burgman, 06 Yamaha Morphous

Past:  3 Buell Lightnings, 02 BMW R1150RS
05 Ducati Multistrada, First gen Kawasaki Concours, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic, 02 Honda ST110, Aprilia Falco, Suzuki VX800, Yamaha Radian, Suzuki TS185, Yamaha RD400

Offline grebmrof

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #431 on: November 25, 2021, 03:14:29 PM »
Geez, those are beautiful bikes.  The motor is a very small lump, the turn signals are tiny, the details really look nice.  Not sure about those aerodynamic wings off of the tank & fairing.  Those bikes are eye candy.  It will be interesting to see them and read about them.  Works of art to my eyes!  Wonder what other versions will be brought out with that engine and drive train?  How many years ago were we speculating on a water cooled Guzzi engine?  Guess maybe the Euro emissions may have finally pushed them to it. 
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 03:56:45 PM by grebmrof »
'22 Royal Enfield Int650
'08 Triumph Bonneville T100

Offline cappisj1

• Gosling
« Reply #432 on: November 25, 2021, 04:01:08 PM »
Never bought a brand new motorcycle and only one brand new car in my 50 years. I want a green one, take my money! 

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #433 on: November 25, 2021, 04:32:15 PM »
All this discussion about Horsepower and Torque and spec sheet comparisons. I currently own the following bikes, a Ducati 1198S many performance mods and almost 200RWHP, a Suzuki GSXR1000 set up for the track around 175RWHP, a Ducati 1000ss DS maybe 80HP My V11 Daytona engined bike maybe 85 HP and my Royal Enfield 650 with 50HP.

My RE 650 is a perfect example of the silliness we've all become accustomed to with regards to engine performance on a road bike. If I went on a rational fast ride with anyone here would I get left behind with my 50 Horsepower bike?, nope. Would I be using the engine harder? Yep, but so what. We've all become accustomed to riding bikes with about 3 times the power we can actually rationally use or even have the ability to use. So riding around using 1/4 throttle ALL the time, that's the reality for 99% of people riding a high performance bike on modern roads. So all the spec sheet engine performance comparisons seem pretty pointless once the engine is making more than 100 HP.  When you step back and ride something with a lot less power you begin to realise just how much you really actually use and need. Do I want manufacturers to limit power? nope, but it's nice to ride something with less power and "reset" the engine performance reality.

So the new Guzzi makes FAR more power and torque than 99.9% of road riders can ever use. Hell, from my track experience it makes more power and torque than 95% of road riders can use on a race track.

Ciao
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 04:33:08 PM by lucky phil »
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Online Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #434 on: November 25, 2021, 10:12:40 PM »
All this discussion about Horsepower and Torque and spec sheet comparisons. I currently own the following bikes, a Ducati 1198S many performance mods and almost 200RWHP, a Suzuki GSXR1000 set up for the track around 175RWHP, a Ducati 1000ss DS maybe 80HP My V11 Daytona engined bike maybe 85 HP and my Royal Enfield 650 with 50HP.

My RE 650 is a perfect example of the silliness we've all become accustomed to with regards to engine performance on a road bike. If I went on a rational fast ride with anyone here would I get left behind with my 50 Horsepower bike?, nope. Would I be using the engine harder? Yep, but so what. We've all become accustomed to riding bikes with about 3 times the power we can actually rationally use or even have the ability to use. So riding around using 1/4 throttle ALL the time, that's the reality for 99% of people riding a high performance bike on modern roads. So all the spec sheet engine performance comparisons seem pretty pointless once the engine is making more than 100 HP.  When you step back and ride something with a lot less power you begin to realise just how much you really actually use and need. Do I want manufacturers to limit power? nope, but it's nice to ride something with less power and "reset" the engine performance reality.

So the new Guzzi makes FAR more power and torque than 99.9% of road riders can ever use. Hell, from my track experience it makes more power and torque than 95% of road riders can use on a race track.

Ciao

I'm completely satisfied with the 44hp of my Stornello.... Untill I ride the GRiSO or 1200 Sport.
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #435 on: November 26, 2021, 03:29:17 AM »
centre stand schmenter stand

whats the deal with the long swingarm but no reactive rod?

If there are 115 bhp getting anywhere near the rear wheel there's gonna be some torque reaction for sure

am I missing something?
Yep, you are.
The longer the lever arm, the less is the force vector for a given torque.
If you are providing 100 Nm over a 0.5 metre lever, you are applying 200 Newtons, or about 20 kg.
To apply the same torque over 1.0 metre lever, you only need to apply 100 Newtons or 10 kg...(not surprisingly).

So a longer swingarm experiences less “jacking” than a shorter one at the pivot point.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #436 on: November 26, 2021, 03:34:41 AM »
I just did 18,000 km on a 12 Hp bike and had a blast..

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #437 on: November 26, 2021, 04:24:36 AM »
Lucky Phil, you're a sane person.

A spot-on comment, thanks.
Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

Offline weevee

• Gosling
« Reply #438 on: November 26, 2021, 04:30:39 AM »
Some here are missing the point re. the spec. sheet..

This bike isn't aimed primarily at dyed-in-the-wool Guzzisti.  It's an attempt by the factory to woo new blood and to sell to customers who'd ordinarily look elsewhere.  You and I may appreciate character and machines with just sufficient power ~ but you can bet your life mainstream reviewers will look to the spec-sheet and (..as always) compare apples to apples with their own particular bias.             

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #439 on: November 26, 2021, 05:42:21 AM »
There's a lot I like about this bike. A lot.

But like others have eluded, I don't like that torque number either. 115HP/74 ft-lb? 90% achieved at 3500RPM with red line of 9500RPM?....That's not good at all in my book. Sounds like a high revving metric that goes nowhere. I would have rather had it the other way around. Or maybe instead of bragging on 4" shorter cylinders than a V85, go ahead and add that 4" back and try and get more equal numbers. 115/115 would be amazing. Here in these hills, torque is best to keep from constantly shifting. That might be why they put the quick shifter on it. The electronic wings are cool, but that's it really. Another gizmo to break and I doubt they offer any real benefit. I'd have rather had the extra gas storage they took from to add those silly wings on the tank. Would love a taller screen and quick detach touring bags option. I I see no mention of hydraulic valves, but I assume they did that. Adjusting valves is so 1980's...time to move on. Of course this is all just speculation on my part and pure opinion, sight unseen and unridden. But, I do for sure like it. It's absolutely beautiful and some of the best styling I've seen from Guzzi in a while. "New and bold" comes to mind. I hope they sell millions of them and have to open more dealerships :evil:.

Hoping to demo one someday at a dealer far, far, far away...
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #440 on: November 26, 2021, 05:57:31 AM »
Wasn’t the statement that the V100 was 4” shorter (front to back), not top to bottom ?
I may have mis interpreted the comment.

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #441 on: November 26, 2021, 06:06:09 AM »
Wasn’t the statement that the V100 was 4” shorter (front to back), not top to bottom ?
I may have mis interpreted the comment.

I don't recall seeing the "front to back" measurement. Shorter means height to me, not length. Maybe I got it wrong too.
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #442 on: November 26, 2021, 06:34:46 AM »
There's a lot I like about this bike. A lot.

But like others have eluded, I don't like that torque number either. 115HP/74 ft-lb? 90% achieved at 3500RPM with red line of 9500RPM?....That's not good at all in my book. Sounds like a high revving metric that goes nowhere. I would have rather had it the other way around. Or maybe instead of bragging on 4" shorter cylinders than a V85, go ahead and add that 4" back and try and get more equal numbers. 115/115 would be amazing. Here in these hills, torque is best to keep from constantly shifting. That might be why they put the quick shifter on it. The electronic wings are cool, but that's it really. Another gizmo to break and I doubt they offer any real benefit. I'd have rather had the extra gas storage they took from to add those silly wings on the tank. Would love a taller screen and quick detach touring bags option. I I see no mention of hydraulic valves, but I assume they did that. Adjusting valves is so 1980's...time to move on. Of course this is all just speculation on my part and pure opinion, sight unseen and unridden. But, I do for sure like it. It's absolutely beautiful and some of the best styling I've seen from Guzzi in a while. "New and bold" comes to mind. I hope they sell millions of them and have to open more dealerships :evil:.

Hoping to demo one someday at a dealer far, far, far away...

Everyone else seems to be reading it as a shorter length. I don't know why anyone would give cylinder height as a spec reference. But looking at photos with a rider on it no way that's what they meant.

As for power I partially share your fear. I mean personally I thought even the V85 moved the power to the rev range more than I personally like (though I assume it appeals to many).

But looking again 115/74 with 90% of that available by 3500 rpm should say one won't have to ride it in the upper half of the rpm range all the time.

Not to mention that 74 ft lbs is more than any of the 2V big blocks ever made (and almost as much as the 8V made) and they all made peak torque around 6000 rpm. I'm going to optimistically guess this won't be any more high strung than an 8V and might even be less so with all that power by 3500 rpm.

Lastly they already announced accessory quick detach bags that don't require separate mounts.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 06:36:25 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Bpreynolds2

• Gosling
« Reply #443 on: November 26, 2021, 06:56:33 AM »
I still think the front end is ugly.  But.  I have taken to the rest of the bike quite a bit and in person I’ll likely appreciate it more.  More controversial by far than the V100’s appearance, I too thought the white Roamer I used to own was crap in pics then in person I kind of fell in love.  Even to this day I still think it’s one of the nicest looking Geese among all the ones I’ve owned, surpassed only by the 1400 Eldo and the Grisos.  I hope Guzzi sells a bunch of these. 
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 10:27:38 AM by Bpreynolds2 »
2020 T120 Bonneville

Offline ToddK

• New Egg
« Reply #444 on: November 26, 2021, 08:10:31 AM »
I haven't had the chance to get through this entire thread yet. Do we know anything about pricing in the US yet? If not, any educated guesses available, home-schooled or otherwise?

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #445 on: November 26, 2021, 08:19:57 AM »
I haven't had the chance to get through this entire thread yet. Do we know anything about pricing in the US yet? If not, any educated guesses available, home-schooled or otherwise?

People are guessing $14-15,999 for the base bike (red pictured) and $17-18,999 for the deluxe model with ohlins, quick shifter, and upgraded electronics suite. The Aprilia and Ducati bikes with the semi-active ohlins setup cost about $3k more than the lower-tier bikes.  I am hoping $13,999 on the base, and $16,999 on the delux but thats just wishful thinking. 

They also have not announced the weight or seat height.
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #446 on: November 26, 2021, 08:28:24 AM »
Getting rid of the big dry clutch and bell housing is mostly where the 4" went. That and new design technology.
That's basicly 60 foot pounds at 3500 and figuring loss at the rear wheel that's still about 100HP & 51 FP that's great if the bike is close to as  light as the V85 was.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 08:29:57 AM by Vagrant »
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #447 on: November 26, 2021, 08:33:13 AM »
Yes, it's 4" (103mm) shorter overall length than a v85. SHorter length not shorter height.

I'm actually surprised it's not more, considering losing the bell housing/flywheel/inline clutch.

My 2v/1100 breva only has claimed torque of 64 or 60 depending on where you look... and I hope the mandello will be about 30 lighter... so I dont see the issue with 77lb torque
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #448 on: November 26, 2021, 08:39:35 AM »
You guys have to quit guesssing about the prices! They priced the V85 very well but if they get that high on a V1000 it will sell like turds on a hot day.
The Yamaha Tracer 9GT is $149999. They usually have parts and they have a real dealer network and it's a proven product. It might be the best comparisome to the V000 there is.

https://youtu.be/OadAsF5NB6Q
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Online Sye

• Gosling
  • Be nice, feel good
« Reply #449 on: November 26, 2021, 08:43:03 AM »
A couple of sites are reporting a seat height of 800mm (31.5 in) which may or may not be accurate.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here