Author Topic: Can you see the differences between an Eldo 5 speed vs an Ambo 4 speed?  (Read 741 times)

Offline Lesman

• Gosling
While spending time fabricating stuff for my Eldo 1200 motor. I'm trying to figure what transmission I have bolted up on my Eldo. I have a 4 speed and 5 speed that came from Loop parts bike. I have a G5 5 speed from another parts bike. Th eplan is to take apart the G5 trans, clean, fix, replace or trash it. I recently learned to utilize the G5 trans I would need the Eldo 5 speed end case. Curious if a 4 speed end case/piece would work. I also recently learned to run the G5 rear end, I would need a 2mm space to properly align it on an Eldo swingarm. I also have a spare Tonti swing arm to switch if necessary .
Thanks in advance for any insight.

Les

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
  If my memory serves me , the clutch cable came in from the other side for the 4 speed end cover .  Peter

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
You can use any 5 speed as-is, but you'd need "custom" shift linkage. You'd need the Eldo rear cover if you want to use the original footpegs, pedal and shift shaft. Also, the speedometer drive on the Eldo rear cover is angled outward from the center of the bike and the Tonti drive is angled inward. A 4 spd rear cover will not work.

If you have a Tonti swingarm, use that with the G5 rear drive.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 02:29:28 PM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

Offline Lesman

• Gosling
As of right now I'm not using the stock footpegs, brake or shifter. Fabricating  them. I'm using a design that Scudman on advrider used on his Eldo "Fattie". Right now I have the Fuel , Fuel Filter  and Regulator installed. I'm running Calvin/Norge throttle bodies. I didn't realize that they are different from earlier California's. I saw your pictures on Facebook. I've alway been a solution looking for problem kinda guy.  I can't believe how much I complicate everything. I saw your airbox/oil breather setups. Those are a work of art. Just trying to get some momentum going. I have a gas tank issue. 2 semi usables tanks. I found a tank . I'm waiting on it because I need precise answers rather than educated guesses. Thanks for info.

Les

Wildguzzi.com

Offline TOMB

• Gaggle Hero
As others have said above speedometer Drive was moved from the outside of closest to the foot Peg to the inside closest to the battery in doing so it's probably a rotating the opposite direction if that's the case your instruments won't read correctly again when they move the speedometer drive to the towards the center of the transmission I believe the speedometer drive gear was also moved to the other side of the  cover case so now it rotates backwards compared to what you have.

Verify verify verify

TOMB

« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 05:54:28 PM by TOMB »
TOMB

CENTRAL CONNECTICUT
1972 Eldorado new to me so "0" miles so far
1972 AMBASSADOR 169000 MILES
1978 G5 170000 MILES
1973 V7 SPORT 25000 MILES
1973 ELDORADO 300000+ MILES
1980 CX100 50 MILES
1976 CONVERT-62000 MILES AND BUILDING
1976 HONDA CB400F 27 MILES AND BUILDING SOLD

MGNOC # 2723

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
With all due respect. I think the speedo drive is the same direction on both. I think all they did was tilt it to one side or the other. At least one of my Loop 5 speeds has a flat spot where the drive could have been drilled.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
That's what I thought too.
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Rotates the same direction, the angle is just different .
Charlie

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
I found a tank . I'm waiting on it because I need precise answers rather than educated guesses. Thanks for info.

Les
Yep, internet threads get (wrong)answers to questions that were never asked.
Maybe single point yes/no questions might help stop ?
So I’ll answer the question in the title

Re: Can you see the differences between an Eldo 5 speed vs an Ambo 4 speed?

YES, CHALK & CHEESE

RE 4 speed cases, 5 speed internals & cover
You might enjoy reading about the Tallio Rosso (red frame), the pre production V7 sport that basically did that, lots of pics on net.
Parts used will not be available but anything can be made
Also see Charlie’s pix on thisoldtractor showing how late 4 speed cases were changed to allow drilling/tapping for the 5 speed cover

Re Gearboxes and final drives, seriously easy to fit any but do bear one word in mind —Ratios
For instance a 4 speed with a 7/33 is pretty low gearing
5 speed with 7/33 was factory spec for most tontis although 5spd loops used 8/35
I have my choices but is easy maths, compare with top gear on 6 speed / carc to see what your motor will be doing with new choice
Swapping ratios into any fd box is a doddle, use factory manual if you don’t already know how.
As Charlie said, only sensible to use disc swinging arm with bigger uj and support bearing. Whichever fd box you use, use later big bearing pinion flange not early drum one

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here