Author Topic: Picked up another scooter. Yamaha Smax xc155j.  (Read 363 times)

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
Picked up another scooter. Yamaha Smax xc155j.
« on: November 26, 2022, 02:36:34 PM »
Another one for the fleet.  Got a good buy on a Yamaha SMax xc155J.  155cc's engine worth a pony and 1/2 more than the Honda PCX 150.  Top speed on the flats 71/72mph at 8.5 K rpm's.  Liquid cooled single 4 valve head.  80mpg. vs 90 mpg for the PCX.  Large underseat trunk. 

Easy to work on.  I did routine maintenance on it and change out the front tire.  Engine oil/final drive oil changed.  From what I could tell never changed.  Engine air filter and drive filter both black w/crap.  One can of brake cleaner spray.  No problems.

The review is right about the "cockpit".  At 5'8" it feels a little cramped.  Looks like it's made for the smaller Asian population.  The sticker on the bodywork shows made in Taiwan.  :wink:  It is a good run around town errand getter however.  Just leave your feet flat on the floorboards.

https://www.motorcycle.com/specs/yamaha/scooter/2018/smax/base.html    Forgot to add disc brakes front and back as opposed to a drum brake other scooters.  14" tires.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 04:36:20 PM by Tom »
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline nwguy

• Gosling
    • Jim Gallant's home page
Re: Picked up another scooter. Yamaha Smax xc155j.
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2022, 06:49:19 PM »
Congratulations. People seem to like those SMAXs. How many miles on it? Did you check the valve clearances? If so, how were they? I've owned Honda, Suzuki and Yamaha scooters. I'm most impressed with how Yamaha does things. For instance on one piece of tupperware every fastener is the same type/size! Imagine.
Current:  08 Norge, 06 Suzuki Burgman, 06 Yamaha Morphous

Past:  3 Buell Lightnings, 02 BMW R1150RS
05 Ducati Multistrada, First gen Kawasaki Concours, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic, 02 Honda ST110, Aprilia Falco, Suzuki VX800, Yamaha Radian, Suzuki TS185, Yamaha RD400

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Picked up another scooter. Yamaha Smax xc155j.
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2022, 02:59:45 PM »
18K miles.  The valves looked ok within spec's after checking.  Cold engine starts after cleaning the air filter with a short stab of the starter button.  Maybe a second.   :boozing:  It came with an aftermarket Givi windscreen that's longer than the oem one.  Works well in the rain.   :thumb: 
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here