Author Topic: '95 California Rear Leaking  (Read 1451 times)

Offline cappisj1

• Gosling
'95 California Rear Leaking
« on: August 09, 2015, 10:16:39 PM »
My rearend is leaking (there is no good way to type that).  I find it on the rim about every other time I ride it.  I did have it apart to replace the clutch.  The leak started about 3000 miles after putting it back together.  What might I have done wrong?

oldbike54

Re: '95 California Rear Leaking
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 10:26:23 PM »
 After 3000 miles , probably nothing . Have you tried burping the bevel box ?

Dusty

Vasco DG

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 04:16:11 AM »
A bit more detail would be helpful.

Offline cappisj1

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 05:18:46 PM »
Here are two pictures.  You can see the drips and runs on the rim.  It doesn't seam to spay all the way around the reareend housing just dropping out the bottom on to the rim.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 05:18:46 PM »

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 05:24:10 PM »
Pics aren't showing.   :cry:

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 05:29:43 PM »
Pictures of the wheel won't do much good. A look at the pumpkin from where the wheel was will tell if it is the outer or inner seal.
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Offline cappisj1

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 06:18:00 PM »
Struggling with getting the picture up.  Do you want me to take the wheel off for a picture?  The pic I have shows the pumpkin from the rear where it comes together and some of the rim.  Like I said it is not spraying all over.  Its like it drips from the pumpkin on to the rim.

Vasco DG

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 06:32:50 PM »
Unless the casting of the case is porous, (Unlikely.) there are only a few places it can leak from.

The filler, level or drain plugs, the joint between pinion carrier and swingarm or pinion carrier and box casting, the crow wheel plover plate gaskets or one of the two crown wheel carrier seals.

The plugs and pinion carrier leak points are very easy to check visually. The seals require removal of the wheel.

If the oil is dribbling down the face of the box over the crownwheel cover plate but the inside of the crownwheel carrier, (The splined bit that the wheel fits into.) is dry of oil it will be the large, visible seal in the crownwheel cover plate. If though oil is running down the inside of the crownwheel carrier it will be the inboard, smaller seal which requires disassembly of the box to get to.

Pete

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here