Author Topic: Can you name another product...  (Read 1749 times)

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
Can you name another product...
« on: May 04, 2021, 07:57:18 PM »
Can you name another product be it a tool, team, vehicle, store, etc. that has very little brand recognition,  like Moto Guzzi, that has decided NOT to  have its name prominately displayed for all to see? Yes Guzzi has the eagle on the tank but how many hundreds of products use an eagle?  The eagle on the Guzzi tank means something to its following but no one else.

The 2021 Guzzi bikes are beautiful!

I can’t understand why Guzzi decides not to put its name where it can be easily seen and recognized like on the tank or side cover. Yes it’s on the cylinder heads so you can read it from 5’ away!

Maybe Audi with the four interlocking rings doesn’t have its name out there but it’s a very popular brand and most people can recognize it by the rings.

The new Guzzis are a great looking marque, it’s too bad most people have no idea of what it is when it rolls by with that beautiful exhaust sound. (Or when one is sitting there from 10’ away)

Any other products out there that has decided to remain obscure?
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Can you name another product...
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 07:53:50 AM »
The name could be in 3 foot flashing letters and still people would ask "Who makes that" lol
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Online bmc5733946

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 07:56:12 AM »
Nice Harley!

Brian
1989 MILLE GT 
2004 BREVA 750     
1975  Convert

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 07:59:33 AM »
How many apple products do you actually see the name on?

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 07:59:33 AM »

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 08:05:09 AM »
Tesla.  T
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Dimitri_Harkov

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 08:15:29 AM »
People should really recongnize a Guzzi as a Guzzi from miles aways because of the way it is built.
If that is not the case, Guzzi should up their advertizing game.

It would sadden me if MG decided to mar their bikes' beauty by over-branding them.

Cheers,
D.
2020 V7 III Stone Night Pack

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 08:56:37 AM »
I noticed that too.

It seems that from the V7iii and newer, including the V85 they only have the Eagle on the tank with minimal branding of the name otherwise.
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2021, 09:31:50 AM »
People should really recongnize a Guzzi as a Guzzi from miles aways because of the way it is built.
If that is not the case, Guzzi should up their advertizing game.

It would sadden me if MG decided to mar their bikes' beauty by over-branding them.

Cheers,
D.

...ahhhh, I think they need to up their advertising game!!!

Companies like Apple and Tesla market products that people crave and line up at the door for. They have gotten the word out really well. Apple has a very good logo and so does Tesla. The same can be said for the Audi four ring logo.

It’s called “Branding” and Harley is THE MASTER at that!

When a decent percentage of riders don’t know about Moto Guzzi, that pretty much sums it up!

Imagine an Apple user never hearing of Samsung or a driving enthusiast never hearing of a Lamborghini or Ferrari?

If after manufacturing a product for 100 years and they haven’t gotten the word out, maybe Moto Guzzi 1.) doesn’t care to increase their sales or… 2.) they have a very poor marketing department. Either way, it would drive me crazy if I was trying to sell their product.

I’m just saying... maybe putting the name on the gas tank might be a good first of many steps to increase their name recognition!

2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Offline Dimitri_Harkov

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2021, 09:46:13 AM »
Yeah well, that was really meant rhetorical.

They DEFINITLY need to up their game in that departement.

I know, it's not the first time I posted this, but:
When I got my full motorcycle driving license (in 2019), most of the young guys/gals there had never even heard of the brand 'Moto Guzzi' when I told them what I would be getting.
Just one older guy like me knew MG, the other six people there did not.

That does not bode well for the brand's future.

I might add: I live just ~750kms from the factory.

Cheers,
D.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 09:46:55 AM by Dimitri_Harkov »
2020 V7 III Stone Night Pack

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2021, 10:10:10 AM »
I wear bright red Moto Guzzi shirts almost daily. It's almost a uniform for me. People ask me constantly, "What is that?" I usually tell them it's Italian for "I like sex"
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2021, 10:23:50 AM »
In my observation, most serious Motorcycle Enthusiasts have heard of Moto Guzzi and generally have a favorable opinion, though few have seen or ridden one or can name a dealership.  MC nubes, or casual riders, weekend warriors, boutique riders, whatever you want to call them have generally never heard of the brand, and this is where Guzzi has failed miserably.  I do notice that the FB page has a LOT of new riders to the brand, and several have said that was how they learned about it.

Guzzi's Branding and Marketing are just about as bad if not worse than their dealer practices. 
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2021, 10:39:55 AM »
I like the eagle. Name badges plastered all over, not so much.

I even hate the 850 and stripe on the new V7 Special, ruins the look of the entire bike IMHO.  I'd take the stone on that alone
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline Siamese

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2021, 10:42:12 AM »
Your house.  Houses cost a fortune, and the builder doesn't put his name on it. 
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 10:45:37 AM by Siamese »

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2021, 11:20:06 AM »
Guzzi would have to sell far far more bikes before brand logos would make any reasonable difference on brand identity. 

That being said, I think  the company name should be proudly displayed on the tank.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2021, 11:25:10 AM »
Guzzi would have to sell far far more bikes before brand logos would make any reasonable difference on brand identity. 

Good point, we always talk about 'I never see a guzzi in the wild', so having the name on the tank surely wont catch many eyeballs
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline Moto Vita

• Hatchling
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2021, 12:00:11 PM »
Can you name another product be it a tool, team, vehicle, store, etc. that has very little brand recognition,  like Moto Guzzi, that has decided NOT to  have its name prominately displayed for all to see? Yes Guzzi has the eagle on the tank but how many hundreds of products use an eagle?  The eagle on the Guzzi tank means something to its following but no one else.

I can’t understand why Guzzi decides not to put its name where it can be easily seen and recognized like on the tank or side cover. Yes it’s on the cylinder heads so you can read it from 5’ away!

Maybe Audi with the four interlocking rings doesn’t have its name out there but it’s a very popular brand and most people can recognize it by the rings.

The new Guzzis are a great looking marque, it’s too bad most people have no idea of what it is when it rolls by with that beautiful exhaust sound. (Or when one is sitting there from 10’ away)

What's an Audi?
 Anyone whos ridden BMWs has heard "I didn't know they made motorcycles". It all depends on the circles you travel in.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2021, 12:36:58 PM »
Your house.  Houses cost a fortune, and the builder doesn't put his name on it.

Oh, the builders get their name out there all right…Around here, individual houses take probably four months to build and that builder does have his sign out by the road those four months. If it’s mass housing they’re building, they also have their signs up all the time for years
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 12:39:53 PM by willowstreetguzziguy »
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 

elvisboy77

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2021, 12:44:00 PM »

Where was it stated by Guzzi that they purposefully decided to NOT advertise?  I certainly see lots of stuff on the internet, youtube etc.

Was there a press release or something?  Seems like an odd approach.

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2021, 01:45:41 PM »
I have a notion, sort of, that Guzzi is trying to be a brand that's little known, out of the ordinary, and maybe a bit cultish. There's an audience for that sort of thing, too.
Not putting the brand name on the tank might support that notion.

Sorry, don't have any other examples to confirm my notion right now.
Wouldn't be surprised if someone else came up with something, though.

Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2021, 02:16:03 PM »
Guzzi already has brand recognition. Its just not good.

Hard to promote a brand of bikes that has a non-existent dealer network and a mothership that wipes their hands clean of the bike once the buyer takes ownership. I understand why people buy obscure Chinease bikes off the internet. If you okay with no dealerships or support you might as well get it cheap and dropped off at you door.

I get it the OP loves Guzzi and most here love, like or at least tolerate Guzzi but its a Guzzi related site what do you expect. It like going to a Honda site and being wowed they like Honda's.

As for the current lineup from Guzzi one word come to my mind.......YAWN!
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2021, 03:31:48 PM »
I take your point, but I am thankful the name is not on the side of the tank.  I am the guy that removes as many badges, emblems and stickers as I can on every vehicle I own.  I like the clean look.  Subtle naming on my V 85 is perfect.  People who aren't motorcyclists don't care, and that is a large majority of the population.  I do agree that more could be done to promote dealers and product through advertising and social media.  Don't mind the name showing up subtly but not a fan of a rolling billboard.

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2021, 03:55:15 PM »
Maybe Piaggio finds it easier to keep Guzzi barely alive  rather than deal with fighting the workers union and the Italian govt. over a shut down. Moto Guzzi is probably a pretty good place to hide money.  :grin: Keep enough staff around to keep the lights on, come up with a new color now and again, presto! "See our all new 10th-gen small block, in dazzling Mandello Maroon!"
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline Tim Henry

• Gosling
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2021, 04:13:34 PM »
I have seen watch companies in the same light as guzzi for instance I wear a Fortis chronograph on my wrist it generally goes under the radar of the general public it's the company that produced the first automatic wristwatch back in 1926
They have been in the same building they started business in 1912 and still independent. I was a dealer for them because I was enthusiastic about the history however it was a tough sell on the other hand those that purchased one fell in love with it to this day I have not passed another one in the wild but have caught the attention of a few true watch idiot savants similar to the people who stop me at the gas station to gush over the Calvin

Online tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2021, 07:40:31 PM »
Sometimes WE don't know what we ride... :boozing:
My friend on his honda and I went to Barbers Vintage Days. We are riding the "train" that takes you around the grounds and I spy a dude wearing a  Guzzi shirt. I start yelling out MOTO GUZZI!! over and over, and he never turns around. :shocked:
My pal immediately responds to me "even HE don't know what a Guzzi is!"
 Oh,well.:embarassed:
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

elvisboy77

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2021, 12:54:19 AM »
Their advertising is SO BAD, they have barely been in business for a hundred years!

Offline Dukedesmo

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2021, 04:30:45 AM »
My Guzzi has 'Moto Guzzi' on the tank and no eagles...
Le Mans II
Ducati 916
Ducati M900

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2021, 06:26:47 AM »
It is a bit like being invited to join a very exclusive club. I first learned about them when a friend started working for a dealer. A cousin then got one and I was eventually told the secret knock and handshake and I got one. Makes me feel sort of special. :grin:
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2021, 07:17:16 AM »
In my observation, most serious Motorcycle Enthusiasts have heard of Moto Guzzi and generally have a favorable opinion, though few have seen or ridden one or can name a dealership.  MC nubes, or casual riders, weekend warriors, boutique riders, whatever you want to call them have generally never heard of the brand, and this is where Guzzi has failed miserably.  I do notice that the FB page has a LOT of new riders to the brand, and several have said that was how they learned about it.

Guzzi's Branding and Marketing are just about as bad if not worse than their dealer practices.

You know its kinda funny..  In my aera HD's are king, and most of the people I know, or run into are riding them..  You pull up and they really want to lhate the bike... but they cant..  No one really asks about it, but they keep looking at it..  Its kind of funny really. They are intreaged... but the HD fandom holds them back. I think non riders assume its a HD. Ive had a lot of lookers, but that might be also because of the chrome fuel tank. Ive never had anyone ask about the bike.
Paul B

Offline skippy

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2021, 10:18:51 AM »
I wear bright red Moto Guzzi shirts almost daily. It's almost a uniform for me. People ask me constantly, "What is that?" I usually tell them it's Italian for "I like sex"

:bow:
23 V100 Mandello
20 V85TT

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2021, 10:28:18 AM »
Husqvarna's logo is an H in a cross section of a gun barrel. They don't even put the whole logo on many of their tanks, and they rarely write out the full name. Most people in the US mis-pronounce it (correct is hoosk-var-na), and many are surprised that they still make motorcycles. Many people don't even say the full name - just "Husky." You don't see a lot of them on the road, and they have been making motorcycles for over 100 years. They are currently manufactured in the Alps.

Sound familiar?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 10:30:54 AM by Scud »
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here