Author Topic: How many miles on your 8v motor?  (Read 1847 times)

Offline Trogladyte

• Gosling
  • Location: South London - home of the world's best football team.
How many miles on your 8v motor?
« on: August 14, 2016, 07:17:43 PM »
I was wondering how the 8v lump will stack up against the older Guzzis in terms of longevity. My old Le Mans 3 had about 70k on the clock when it had its final impact in a bus lane in the People's Republic of Brixton. It was showing every sign of going to well above 100k. And I have known T3s that have telephone numbers on the odo.

My Griso is now coming up to 40k. It's been rock solid since the rollers were installed. It's needed a clutch and somewheel bearings.

But is it a potentially very high mileage engine?

oldbike54

Re: How many miles on your 8v motor?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 11:14:02 PM »
 Yes , no , maybe . Actually it seems several folks have piled up some impressive mileages on 8 valvers . Maybe not in the "telephone number" range , but still high figures .

Dusty

pete roper

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 11:39:27 PM »
Very much so. Due to the flat tappet fiasco I've had to have several apart to the last nut and bolt including my own which led a very hard life.

When mine ran it's big ends due to DLC contamination it had over 50,000 miles on it and as a matter of course I measured stuff when it came apart. Bores were still perfect. Rings were in spec but most interestingly the valve stems and guides were virtually pristine! Given how hot the exhausts run this really surprised me, sure I'd been running a decent OL map for a goodly part of those 50,000 miles but I'd also riden it for a year with excreble GRS8V-01 map that was as lean as an Ethiopian marathon runner when running CL! Somewhere in my spare parts stock I have a full set of valves etc. They've been there since 2008. I've only replaced valves on one motor and that was one that bent it's valves and there's a long story behind that!

Cam chains were OK and judging from the amount of extension in the tensioner plungers I'd say they were about a third of the way towards needing replacement. While in theory this requires dropping the motor to replacement I see no reason why you couldn't split the chains and do it in-situ as you would with an across the frame four with a central chain.

Clutch? Never done one. Gearbox? Never had one apart to repair! Bevelboxes? Had a few front seals go and a few where the pinion nut has dumped its preload and a few that have shagged their 'Big' support bearing due to water contamination of the oil.

Most fragile and failure prone parts of the bike are the chassis bearings. Most notably the swing arm and shock linkage bearings and this is principally because the useless pricks assemble them with little or no grease in them. Steering head bearings can also benefit from a decent slathering of grease as well but they aren't as rust prone as the swingarm and suspension bits.

Really, it's a fantastic package, apart from the huge 'elephant in the corner' with the pre roller models and in the majority of cases if that is addressed early and rectified properly even they seem to continue rolling along with no problems.

My Griso was re-motored at about 90,000km. I'm hoping to be able to ride it for at least another ten years before I become too enfeebled by age that it becomes a real struggle. In all honesty I'm not expecting to have to do anything other than basic maintenance too it in that time. I think it's a tragedy the CARC bikes and 1200 motor are being phased out.

Pete

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 02:47:35 AM »
I think it's a tragedy the CARC bikes and 1200 motor are being phased out.

Pete

As do I.  Unless CARC bikes are continued with rollerized 1400 engines that'll rev like 8v 1200s.  Highly unlikely?
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 02:47:35 AM »

Offline WitchCityGuzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 09:25:53 AM »
I have just under 80,000 on my Stelvio currently. I expect by next year, I'll hit 100,000. Other than the conversion to rollers, it's been rock solid. The bike has NOT been babied.

I have a cam chain tensioner on the right side that seems to be getting a little lazy, so I'll probably change it this fall. I'm also planning on doing the clutch this year preemptively. Not because it's slipping in any way, but the springs in it are rattling pretty good now, and I'm planning on doing one of the BDR's (probably UTBDR) next year and don't want to worry about the clutch.

My wife has 40,000 on her Tenni Griso SE. Other than rollering that, not one issue.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 09:26:52 AM by WitchCityGuzzi »
2016 V7II Stornello
2011 Griso SE
2009 Stelvio
2004 Ballabio
1979 V1000 Cafe
1970 Ambassador
1966 Stornello Sport
1967 Aermacchi 250SS Sprint

Offline Trogladyte

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 10:36:09 AM »
Yeah...just reading Pete's post has reminded me that I have also done the rear shock linkage twice, and swinging arm bearings since 2008.

The motor certainly feels pretty good - in fact it probably feels as good as it ever has. With new boots on at the moment, and on warm tarmac, it is a joy to ride.

My only issues at the moment are niggles of ageing, not helped by my all year riding, and UK winters, and that's me as much as the Griso. The paint has given way to corrosion on the pillion footrest hangers, and the footrests don't stay up. The paint is also lifting on the front of the sump, the oil cooler cover, and the torsion bar.

I've treated and repainted the torsion bar. I'm trying to source cheap 2nd hand hangers - got a good left side one, but i the footrest is different (1100 part). This seems a better bet for price than blasting and stoving. Likewise the oil cooler cover, which is my own stupid fault for not dealing with the scratch from when I dropped it some years ago. Haven't found one yet. They must be out there. 
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 10:37:46 AM by Trogladyte »

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 11:32:07 AM »
Yeah...just reading Pete's post has reminded me that I have also done the rear shock linkage twice, and swinging arm bearings since 2008.

The motor certainly feels pretty good - in fact it probably feels as good as it ever has. With new boots on at the moment, and on warm tarmac, it is a joy to ride.

My only issues at the moment are niggles of ageing, not helped by my all year riding, and UK winters, and that's me as much as the Griso. The paint has given way to corrosion on the pillion footrest hangers, and the footrests don't stay up. The paint is also lifting on the front of the sump, the oil cooler cover, and the torsion bar.

I've treated and repainted the torsion bar. I'm trying to source cheap 2nd hand hangers - got a good left side one, but i the footrest is different (1100 part). This seems a better bet for price than blasting and stoving. Likewise the oil cooler cover, which is my own stupid fault for not dealing with the scratch from when I dropped it some years ago. Haven't found one yet. They must be out there.

How do you grease these fittings?

pete roper

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2016, 11:49:16 AM »
Take them to bits and add lots of grease!

I'm on holiday at the moment but this is one of the things we do a lot. I can photo essay or even video if people like when I get back to, (Groan!) work.

Pete

Offline Trogladyte

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2016, 12:04:49 PM »
The first time I did it,i seem to recall it was just that big knuckle joint. But the second time I replaced the whole double conrod. I did the swinging arm bearings earlier this year when my tame mechanic and I did the clutch.

Video would be very useful, Pete.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here