Author Topic: I don't get the "Bolt Upright" riding position!?  (Read 16397 times)

Offline donn

• Gaggle Hero
  • The thing is, I do want a pickle.
Re: I don't get the "Bolt Upright" riding position!?
« Reply #90 on: August 14, 2016, 08:19:59 AM »
When I bought my Cali, I had intended to buy the Touring, but decided I liked the clean simplicity of the Custom, along with the superior rear suspension. One reservation I had, though, was the slight (6 degrees according to Cycle-ergo) forward lean, since I generally prefer a straight-up seating position on a cruiser. As it turns out though, that bit of lean shifts some weight from my butt to my thighs, greatly enhancing seat comfort. Combined with the proper density of the seat foam, I find the stock saddle to be all-day comfortable, as long as I get off for a few minutes every once in a while.  If I was sitting straight up, I don't think that would be the case. So, the combination works well for me.

It seems to me 6 degrees might be about normal upright posture.  It depends among other things on how you're holding your arms.

Lcarlson

« Reply #91 on: August 14, 2016, 09:26:39 AM »
Bolt upright would be 0 degrees, as on the Touring and Eldorado.

Offline Muley

• Gaggle Hero
  • A good day is when nothing breaks
« Reply #92 on: August 14, 2016, 09:55:06 AM »
I enjoy riding "sport" or at least sporty bikes  - for a very short while that is.  The B12 sport I demoed at the VA rally some years ago and the Griso, while not as much forward lean as a true sport bike, were great fun to ride, but I cannot see myself going the distance like I can on my old EV.

The wife and I rode a short distance, about 80 miles, the other day to a catfish place.  The roads were rural, hilly, a little curvy, and very nice overall.  Again, I thought about how the EV seating position and the bike in general is almost perfect for me, and I just don't "need" another bike right now.

I think my longest non-stop, except for gas and food, ride was about 1400 miles, and the bike was not uncomfortable; I just got dehydrated before I knew it.  I don't think I'd be able to do that or come even close on a Griso for example.
"My mind makes appointments my body can't keep"

Geographic Center of Georgia, a few miles from Jeffersonville

Q:  What is that ?
A:   It's a Moto Guzzi.

Q:   Is it fast ?
A:   No, 'bout like a Harley.

www.georgiapecan.or g

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #93 on: August 14, 2016, 05:27:00 PM »
Very slightly leaning forward works best for me. Achieved this on my V7 by using a flat Airhawk cushion and sitting further back.

Exactly my experience.  An Airhawk on my V7 with a slight forward lean.

The Airhawk "R" cushion really helps.

But...to each his own.
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #93 on: August 14, 2016, 05:27:00 PM »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #94 on: August 14, 2016, 06:49:53 PM »
I've nursed a bad back for a full 25 years now, starting at the age of 42. I fully understand the bolt upright seating.

And.... the only time I've ever had a "bad back" was when I was riding a cruiser. As mentioned before, everybody is different. Of course, Kev is wrong.. <running and ducking>  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #95 on: August 15, 2016, 08:42:35 AM »
Thought I'd chime back in... years ago, mid "kill me now" crushed disc, i asked my physio-therapist what body position would work best for my particular cervical and lower spine issues.

Her response was, essentially... forward pegs and higher bars with considerable pullback (I'm picturing a 70s chop a king/queen seat and 6-bend bars :D )  ... so I continued riding standards with sportbike bars... go figure.
Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Offline donn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #96 on: August 15, 2016, 09:51:07 AM »
Bolt upright would be 0 degrees, as on the Touring and Eldorado.

My Eldorado was a long time ago, but I'm pretty sure I didn't sit at what I would call 0 degrees, if we're looking at such fine distinctions as 0 vs. 6 degrees.  Whatever motorcycle you ride, you have some degree of choice as to how you sit.

Take this guy -- I wouldn't care to guess exactly where he is, but several degrees forward, though for sure the motorcycle is in the upright category.

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #97 on: August 15, 2016, 10:26:04 AM »
I'd say that rider is "Bolt upright" but slouching. His lower back is 90 degrees, he's just got piss-poor posture.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 10:26:28 AM by Toecutter »

Offline donn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #98 on: August 15, 2016, 12:16:03 PM »
Yeah, could be - it's hard to say for sure from that picture, but more forward than this guy, true?

This looks like the upright/slouch that really starts at 90 degrees at the seat and bends forward -- I would say, ergonomic disaster, but everyone's different!

But a minute later these guys might have shifted to another position - I mean, if we're measuring down to a couple degrees accuracy, it's a moving target.

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #99 on: August 15, 2016, 12:52:29 PM »
Hell, I'm correcting my slouch all the damn time... arms start to straighten out, shoulders push up, head starts to fall forward, back bows.... and I have to sit up, let my shoulders relax, and my arms hang a bit, lift my head...

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here