Author Topic: New V-Twin, but not a Guzzi  (Read 2915 times)

Offline Guzikid

• Gosling
Re: New V-Twin, but not a Guzzi
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2020, 09:30:43 PM »
 Back in the 60's, if you wanted performance you chose either a BSA Lightning, the HD Sportster, or the Triumph Bonneville.  All 3 could do the 100 mph mark. I always admired the Sportster...….It just looked macho !!!  The Kid

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2020, 09:53:08 PM »
I had a 99 super glide, which I think is much the same bike as the sportster 1200 But with the 1450 motor. I put S+S cams, headers and jetted up the carb to match the cams and that bike was a Beast! I kept if for about a year then realized I needed to get rid of it before I got killed or lost my license. That thing  tried to pull you off the back when you opened up the throttle!

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2020, 07:03:55 AM »
I'm a big EVO motor and Sporty fan.  You got a very nice motorcycle.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline bodine99

• Gosling
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2020, 08:31:41 AM »
V&H FP-3, Rich Products 2-1 "Thunder" header and hang on tite!!! Great bike :thumb:

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2020, 08:31:41 AM »

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2020, 08:37:50 AM »
 I've had an Ironhead Sportster, two shovelheads and last year a 2001 Sportster...I had big pland for the Sportster, rear set pegs an controls,Koni rear shocks,different fork springs and low bars..It was a nice bike for back roads...But within a year I sold it because I just didn't care for the handling"feedback".......A personal choice that may mean nothing to other riders...

Offline Guzzitenn

• New Egg
  • 2018 V7lll Rough
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2020, 05:56:40 AM »
Bill, how would you describe the foot peg location?  Slightly forward?

Bob
I test rode one last week. Since you mentioned the foot peg. I noticed the shifter was more at the end of my boot
And weird to shift, then when we got back I had trouble getting neutral. So I went back to look at the other Sportster
Models and the Roadster has a set back on the foot peg. It was a good ride however, much more modern fell than my
06 1200R. They didn’t have any abs on any Roadsters which I didn’t like for a $12000 motorcycle. I can buy a newer Griso or V7 for a lot less and have abs, or there’s a hardly used Bmw 1200R for $11k here.

Offline Bill929

• Gaggle Hero
    • Finger, Nelson & Maguire, PLLC
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2020, 07:27:05 AM »
I test rode one last week. Since you mentioned the foot peg. I noticed the shifter was more at the end of my boot
And weird to shift, then when we got back I had trouble getting neutral. So I went back to look at the other Sportster
Models and the Roadster has a set back on the foot peg. It was a good ride however, much more modern fell than my
06 1200R. They didn’t have any abs on any Roadsters which I didn’t like for a $12000 motorcycle. I can buy a newer Griso or V7 for a lot less and have abs, or there’s a hardly used Bmw 1200R for $11k here.

Several reviews I've read have noted an initial difficulty finding neutral, but I did not find that to be true with the Roadster I bought.  I didn't pay anywhere near $12k for my bike.  The other bikes I considered were a 2019 BMW R nine T Pure and a 2019 Moto Guzzi V9 Bobber Sport.  All three were right around $10k, plus tax, tag.  The BMW and Guzzi have ABS (an option on the Roadster), but the BMW just didn't have the character I was looking for (looks yes, motor no) and the Guzzi fell a very close 2nd to the Roadster.  Two factors weighed heavily against the Guzzi.  Availability of accessories and dealer network.  I live in a rural area and the closest Guzzi dealer is more than 2 hours away - and is a heavy traffic (unpleasant at best) ride to get there.  There are three HD dealerships within an hour or so ride (backroad riding).  On the accessory side, LED lighting is a must for me.  HD has an optional LED headlight (which was included) and Custom Dynamics make LED running lights (which I will soon install) that are integrated into the turn signals.  Bright white LED running lights transform into amber turn signals when you hit the indicator switch.  So once again, the lack of dealer network and support cost Guzzi a sale.
Bill
Morriston, FL
Maidens, VA
2014 Moto Guzzi California Touring
2019 Harley Davidson Roadster

Prior Guzzis:  1986 V65 Lario, 2001 EV, 2001 V11 Sport, 2003 Titanium, 2007 California Vintage, 1991 Lemans CI 1000

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here