Author Topic: AFT 2021-Starts Today  (Read 3620 times)

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
Re: AFT 2021-Starts Today
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2021, 02:28:23 PM »
Not this year, but I'll be watching to see if Johnny Lewis can get the RE to do good in a mile track.

I'm gettin' pumped, It's been a long time  :thumb:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2021, 04:18:33 PM »
Not this year, but I'll be watching to see if Johnny Lewis can get the RE to do good in a mile track.

I, too.  I have a '21 RE 650 with the Breva 750.  May be a tad late to renew my 1960s AMA Expert flat track license, tho.  I guess I'm relegated to street riding.  That's enough excitement for an old guy.  Knowing all the variables that must be dealt with to make winning flat track bike, I cannot praise Royal Enfield enough for their incredibly rapid development of Lewis's bike from street bike to winner's circle, beating well established, well-financed teams from Yamaha, Kawasaki and Harley Davidson (all with good riders). 

I only wish that Indian Twins class was abolished and Production Twins would become the premier class.  Plus doing away with NASCAR-like limited entries and 53' transporters with techs and telemetry. 

Ralph
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2021, 04:50:20 PM »
I, too.  I have a '21 RE 650 with the Breva 750.  May be a tad late to renew my 1960s AMA Expert flat track license, tho.  I guess I'm relegated to street riding.  That's enough excitement for an old guy.  Knowing all the variables that must be dealt with to make winning flat track bike, I cannot praise Royal Enfield enough for their incredibly rapid development of Lewis's bike from street bike to winner's circle, beating well established, well-financed teams from Yamaha, Kawasaki and Harley Davidson (all with good riders). 

I only wish that Indian Twins class was abolished and Production Twins would become the premier class.  Plus doing away with NASCAR-like limited entries and 53' transporters with techs and telemetry. 

Ralph

I'm not happy about the way things are being done either, but not unhappy enough to not go enjoy the races anyway. And it's not much of a road trip for me.

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2021, 09:00:02 PM »
The whole thing is a mess. Should go back to production based 750s and send the special built Indians home. If they don't want to produce a production 750, too bad. But Harley is going to be in the same boat if they put in a year restriction like NASCAR does or at least used to. I am also rooting for RE. They have done amazing things in a very short time.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2021, 09:00:02 PM »

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
  • Daytona, Stelvio [Kansas]
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2021, 09:55:53 PM »
Quote from: krglorioso
...doing away with...techs and telemetry.

"techs" (in the form of tuners and mechanics) have always been part of every team.  The only thing remotely like "telemetry" would be the transponder used to track the laps and times of each bike; that's it.  It's legal to store onboard engine data for later download, but that's not done through telemetry.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2021, 09:12:49 PM »
DuQuoin is called off for rain ..................     R-A-T-F-A-R-T-S!  :angry:

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2021, 09:26:45 PM »
DuCoin is a fantastic track.  Best racing ever in '80s Parker vs Carr.

Anyway, it looks like they're making rule changes to help Yamaha or anyone else after the Indians.

https://www.cyclenews.com/2021/07/article/american-flat-track-supertwins-rules-update-for-the-2021-season/

The minimum weight for Mission SuperTwins bikes based around a “race-only engine” will increase from 310 to 330 lbs, while production-based machines will remain at 310.

The base flywheel for race-only engined bikes must be fitted and cannot be modified in any way, conforming to the approved weight and dimensions with no mass added or removed.

The maximum wheel assembly for bikes with race-only engines has been limited to 35 lbs compared to a 43 lb maximum for production-based bikes.  (I never knew that heavier was better- JL)

The changes appear to be an initial attempt to address the overwhelming dominance of a single platform — the Indian FTR750 — both in terms of numbers and success, even as the premier class has seen decreased entries while the production-based alternatives have largely fled to the AFT Production Twins category.

The areas of focus, such as flywheel mass and the related circuit-by-circuit adjustability, are those in which Indian’s dedicated racebike cannot be realistically matched by production-based machinery as the rules previously existed.

John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
  • Daytona, Stelvio [Kansas]
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2021, 10:48:39 PM »
Quote from: LowRyter
...I never knew that heavier was better...

Before the clamp-down, the ways in which wheels were made heavy were sometimes pretty comical (and not "exactly" illegal).  "Inflating" your tire with water?  It's been done.  Bolting weights to the wheel rims?  It's been done.  Running multiple tubes?  It's been done.  Actually, it was the bolt-on approach that brought all this to a halt.  That's a dangerous thing to be doing (and so is running tires filled with water).  These days, for some tracks you'll see a back wheel that's nearly a solid machining, but there is an upper weight limit to watch.  But, watching water drain out of your tire is just embarrassing...

Heavy flywheels have been known to be important for years (decades) and it was an area that always gave the XR750 an advantage.  Indian had that designed in from the beginning.  Now, they're limited to the original weight (which is still a pretty good chunk).

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2021, 10:59:31 PM »
Why not allow privateers with XR-750s to run time trials?  It's a 750 race bike with direct connection to the Sportsters of years past.  Maybe it might embarrass the purpose built Indian twins, is that it?  Heck, one of Ron Woods' Norton Trackmasters might win..  Run whatcha brung as long as it meets the general specifications and passes tech inspection.  If you don't make the cut in time trials, the top  48 bikes for 4 heats of 12 each, you load up and enjoy watching the races. 

Time was when 60+ bikes would time trial for an AMA national.  Last AFT race I watched had either 11 or 12 bikes (of the sacred 18 allowed to compete in Indian Twins) show up.  The semis had a half dozen bikes in each.   

Ralph
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2017 Honda CB-500F

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2021, 05:43:28 PM »
I think AFT needs to get the rule package together.  Saw the Lima race and only eleven bikes in the Pro class.  Same as OKC. 

Somehow they need to combine the production twins with the super twins.  I am used to seeing 24 or so racers go for 16 spots.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2021, 06:32:46 PM »
Just watching the race from yesterday, I forgot.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2021, 05:01:46 PM »
Johnny does OK when it doesn't break.  That means it's getting into the "typical British" realm.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 05:04:47 PM by guzzisteve »

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2021, 06:11:47 PM »
It's kinda funny more riders aren't on them, maybe after it's perfected. It'll then have a price tag on it $$.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2021, 10:46:14 AM »
Dusty.  To be clear the RE runs in the "production twins" class, not the "pro" class.  Since there are only 11 bikes running the top class, it might make sense to just go to one "twins class" for cost and perhaps safety reasons.   We need more than 11 bikes running a feature. 
John L 

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2021, 11:29:53 AM »
Isn't that how it was before Indian ruled the class a few years ago?

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2021, 11:44:57 AM »
Well, it's a no go so far. I'm watching the short track from last night cause I forgot.
Maybe tomorrow for Springfield Mile.

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2021, 02:13:10 PM »

Heavy flywheels have been known to be important for years (decades) and it was an area that always gave the XR750 an advantage.  Indian had that designed in from the beginning.  Now, they're limited to the original weight (which is still a pretty good chunk).

Works in FT and roadracing when you are traction limited. Which is almost always the case in FT.
The weight makes the wheel (and tire) that much more sluggish, so it doesn't break traction so soon. Same result you get by going to a twingle firing order.  Only there it improves traction because of the long pause between the bangs gives the tire a chance to hook back up.
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2021, 05:50:08 PM »
The mile has been postponed until Monday due to weather.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2021, 05:02:49 PM »
So far they are putting on a good show dicing it up.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2021, 08:57:01 PM »
Just to clarify , today's scheduled race , Springfield I will be on Monday , tomorrow's scheduled race , Springfield II will be tomorrow as scheduled , this is a double header weekend .

TS

Did you ride up there?
John L 

Offline delrod

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2021, 09:08:16 PM »
Got to see most of today's race. Had to leave before the end of the main to beat sundown. Made it to a campground at Pittsfield ill and going to have my last Stag beer and ride home in the morning.
Doug in Pittsburg KS
2003EVT

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2021, 09:19:12 PM »
18yr old kid beat em all, singles & production twins. FBI rider from Mattoon,IL , Dallas Daniels.

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2021, 09:26:34 PM »
#23, Jeffrey Carver, pulled a 5th in the Indian Twins class after being absent (no team?) for a year.  Coming back after a year off and leading the National for some laps and then getting a Top Five finish impressed me mightily.  I thought Carver's dangerous last turn "slide job" that nearly collected Briar Bauman was a very poor move and cost Carver a 4th.

What never impresses me favorably in AFT is the presence of trackside announcer, the near 60 year old adolescent wannabee, Ricky "Rodent" Rachtman, with his puerile get-up and manner that would be passe at a high school pep rally.  The ghosts of George Roeder and Ronnie Rall must be turning over in their graves.  Kristin Beat does a superb job and never resorts to childish spiels a la Ricky. 

There you have it, two cents worth from a long ago flat track racer and Charter Member of the White Plate Flat Tracker's Association, started by J.C. "Pappy" Hoel around 50 years ago to acknowledge those Expert licensed flat track racers prior to 1970, who pulled their bike trailers with old cars and panel trucks and slept in their cars to save money.  No 53' transporters, telemetry, etc.  Hardscrabble times, but precious to those who did it.

Ralph
Ralph

2017 Honda CB-500F

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2021, 03:41:02 PM »
Mile in CA going on.

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2021, 03:10:54 PM »
Sacramento Mile #2 is on!

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2021, 04:06:17 PM »
Last race of season on soon today

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here