General Category > General Discussion

Convert - First Impression

(1/10) > >>

Kiwi_Roy:
I have always fancied a convert ever since I first saw one so much so that I converted (there's that word again) a perfectly good Griso that has been sitting for a year into a handful of shekels so I can buy one. Have I completely lost my marbles or should I put the blame squarely on my friend JayDee24ca, he described his as a Magic Carpet Ride, I don't think he penned the phrase but he put it to good use against me, I followed John for a couple of days on a camping trip and was intrigued by how effortlessly his negotiated steep hills barely changing exhaust note. Now really JayDee should have offered to ride my puny V7 III so I could try out his carpet and I'm sure he would have had I asked, but no he just fed into my desire by describing how reliable his Converts have been.
I kind of imagine a Convert to be something between an old loop and an EV.
I have never ridden a Convert but I sent a cheque off sight unseen to a Gentleman on Vancouver Island who has a 76 model.
Now because of - we are not really supposed to travel to the Island at this time, that and the fact we are expecting house guests and my wife will kill me if I try and sneak off so I will have to be patient like a kid waiting for Santa.
In the mean time I will be following TwoDog's thread trying to learn as much as I can about my next Italian mistress.
I see from the pictures that the Converts come without a tachometer, is that an oversight, all my other Guzzi's had one.
Can someone point me to a manual I can download to learn about the proper feeding and care of one of these alien creatures.
Anything I should ask the present owner while I am waiting to take delivery?

Perazzimx14:
I've had 3 Converts. I don't think I'd say they were "magic carpet rides" but rather the most interesting but boring 1000cc scooter you ever ridden. Practicality wise as a commuter/grocery getter they are great. Spirited riding boooooooooooooooooo ring!

Kiwi_Roy:

--- Quote from: Perazzimx14 on June 09, 2021, 05:58:37 AM ---I've had 3 Converts. I don't think I'd say they were "magic carpet rides" but rather the most interesting but boring 1000cc scooter you ever ridden. Practicality wise as a commuter/grocery getter they are great. Spirited riding boooooooooooooooooo ring!

--- End quote ---
It took you 3 to realize that, I guess you are a slow learner eh!

twodogs:
Congrats KR, I bought my 1st Guzzi over 10 years ago and it was a 76 convert that had not run in over 15 years, got it for a winter project since I was a seasonal worker and actually got it going and rode it in the summer and then sold it for the next project, I'm no mechanic and I'm still learning Guzzi, but I always told the wife if one popped up close enough I was going to jump on it, I think she is better with the purchase now, ride it for what it is and it will become obvious  :boozing:

fotoguzzi:
A tach is really pointless since you don't need to know when to shift.
And you don't need to clutch so left hand doesn't have much to do.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version