Author Topic: CalVin Brake Bleed--HELP!  (Read 3980 times)

Wry

CalVin Brake Bleed--HELP!
« on: October 20, 2015, 06:51:04 PM »
I took my CalVin to the local Honda dealership (Minneapolis) for routine brake bleeding.  I picked up the bike, got on the street, and found I had no functioning linked brakes.  I rode it back to the dealership, where they've not been able to figure out (after 2 more hours of working on it) how to bleed the linked brakes and get the air out.  There's no pressure whatsoever.  Could someone please post a solution or, better, call me?  I need to help out the frustrated mechanic.  Many thanks.

Ryan
Ryan.pfeiffer@westacademic.com
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 06:57:06 PM by Captain Yonder »

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: CalVin Brake Bleed--HELP!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 07:02:10 PM »
side note, I gave phone advise to raise the front caliper as high as possible when bleeding it, I think they tried that with no luck.. could the M/C be fouled up?
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 07:25:07 PM »
In the past, I used vise grips to block off the front hose, then bled the rear. Reverse process to do the front. Worked for me. YMMV
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Wry

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 07:28:21 PM »
As an FYI, there's a third bleeding nipple, high on the left side under the left plastic cover.    We tried sucking from that and the other two brake nipples. (Thanks, Foto, for suggesting the caliper raise.)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 07:28:21 PM »

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 08:30:04 PM »
Not sure if that third bleeder you mentioned isn't the bleeder for the clutch slave. Make sure  your master cylinder is returning all the way out. If someone has cranked the link rod out to far fluid can not get into the master cylinder. Also I always connect a piece of clear tubing to the nipple you are bleeding and insert it into a container of brake fluid.This serves two purposes, to prevent air from being drawn back in accidentally, and allows you to see air bubbles in the tube as you pump fluid through. It takes much repetition with the linked set up to get all the air out.  I have also seen the tiny ports in the top of the master cylinder plugged with rubber bits before which requires disassembling the master cylinder and poking it out with a small wire. I used a tip cleaner for an acetylene torch. good luck   Dave

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 08:39:06 PM »
Not sure if that third bleeder you mentioned isn't the bleeder for the clutch slave.

The CalVin has a cable operated clutch. :beer:

Once you get air in the integrated system, it can be a pain to get it out. Someone let air in. Their mistake.

You need to bleed the system from the master cylinder, to the splitter (proportioning valve?) under the left side cover.
Once you have the air out of that part, you need to bleed the rear brake caliper. It MUST be removed, and rotated so the bleed screw is on TOP. It traps air in the caliper if it is not rotated. It is also a good idea to temporarily tape/wire/bungee the rear valve under the swingarm closed IF your model has that. (I think later ones don't have it)
Once you have the rear caliper air free, then move to the front left caliper. It may take a lot of fluid to get the air our, and it can help to remove the caliper and get it as high as you can.

I'm shocked that they would work on the brakes and not test ride it. Sad.....
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 08:43:29 PM by Wayne Orwig »
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline jmdaia

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 09:00:28 PM »
there is a Honda that has linked brakes.....poor dealer
Florence, SC
03 California EV
02 KLR 650 with son in LA
son purchased Griso....yeah....
12 Ducati Monster 1100 evo in Charleston

Offline Hahnda

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Scrambler Cycle
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 09:19:30 PM »
I know its been mentioned in other threads but for linked brakes I really like to use the reverse bleed. Push fluid from the calipers to the master. Usually rear first and then the front.
2003 V11 Lemans - 2000 Quota w/ Sidecar
1996 California - 1976 Convert
1975 850T -750S Project - 1975 Eldorado Police
1973 Eldorado - 3x 1971 Ambassador
1970 Ambassador - 1963 Stornello Sport
1949 GTV - 1948 Airone

www.scramblercycle. com

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 05:20:07 AM »
In the past, I used vise grips to block off the front hose, then bled the rear. Reverse process to do the front. Worked for me. YMMV

Vice grip on a stainless brake line, really??   Just open one bleeder at a time.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 06:18:55 AM »
I push the pads all the way out, this pushes the pistons all the way in, this leaves minimal space behind the pistons for fluid or air.
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Wry

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 08:27:29 AM »
How would we know if link rod has been cranked out to far?  Is there a fix?  We tried sucking up to the high nipple at the splitter, but virtually no fluid came through.  Is that a sign of the problem?

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 08:35:28 AM »
How would we know if link rod has been cranked out to far?  Is there a fix?  We tried sucking up to the high nipple at the splitter, but virtually no fluid came through.  Is that a sign of the problem?

Yeah. Probably the piston is stuck from pushing the brake lever too far when trying to bleed it, and won't let fluid into the master cylinder. *Maybe* putting pressure on it by reverse bleeding will move it back. Maybe not..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 09:33:00 AM »

There should be a small amount of free play between the plunger in the master cylinder, and the lever mechanism. If the plunger is stuck in, or has no freeplay, you won't get fluid in.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2015, 09:35:46 AM »
there is a Honda that has linked brakes.....poor dealer

A number of Hondas had linked brakes. The older Goldwings had integrated brakes like the Tontis too.

Wry

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2015, 03:17:21 PM »
Thanks to all of you--particularly Wayne--for the detailed advice. 

I passed along forum advice to the mechanic who, after 3 more hours of toil, succeeded in correcting the problem. 
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 03:17:56 PM by Captain Yonder »

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2015, 06:27:57 PM »
good to know, thanks for the follow up.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here