Author Topic: Luap's Old Bike (Fortress)  (Read 2154 times)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
Luap's Old Bike (Fortress)
« on: May 14, 2021, 08:51:33 PM »
Saw it today. There's a new engine that's been delivered for it for installation. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Luap's Old Bike (Fortress)
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 09:17:34 PM »
Dunno, it may still be a "Christine".
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 09:24:12 PM »
 :grin: :grin: :grin:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2021, 06:24:47 PM »
GliderJohn

The story of that poor Guzzi MGX-21 Fortress was beyond belief when I read it...

It just was truly NOT the normal Guzzi...and happened to be one big "LEMON" of a motorcycle! (IHMO).   :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :shocked: :shocked: :huh: 

It had to GO...and I am sure Luap is delighted with his new Indian... :wink: :cool: :boozing: :bow: :thumb:
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 06:25:45 PM by JJ »
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2021, 06:24:47 PM »

LesP

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2021, 06:44:09 PM »
The previous history unknowing buyer must have been excited when he got the call it was ready to pick up, I guess that didn't last long.

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2021, 07:53:24 PM »
Saw it today. There's a new engine that's been delivered for it for installation.

"new engine" as in brand new crate motor from Piaggio? If so, did Piaggio pony up for a completely new engine, a used bike warranty or something else? Or 'new to me' meaning a used motor sourced somewhere?

If Luap is like most other Indian Challenger owners he's very satisfied and likely will be for the next several decades. Polaris makes an excellent motorcycle.

My Victory CCT is only coming up on 84K miles but it's been 100% reliable 100% of the time. After the sale, it's only needed a dealer for tires because I don't do that. Everything else has been very simple and easy routine maintenance.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 08:02:50 PM by TN Mark »

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2021, 10:38:04 PM »
 :thumb:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2021, 07:39:08 AM »
QUOTEMy Victory CCT is only coming up on 84K miles but it's been 100% reliable 100% of the time. After the sale, it's only needed a dealer for tires because I don't do that. Everything else has been very simple and easy routine maintenance.

:bow: :bow: :bow: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :cool: :cool: :cool: :boozing: :boozing: :boozing: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2021, 10:06:14 AM »
"new engine" as in brand new crate motor from Piaggio? If so, did Piaggio pony up for a completely new engine, a used bike warranty or something else? Or 'new to me' meaning a used motor sourced somewhere?

If Luap is like most other Indian Challenger owners he's very satisfied and likely will be for the next several decades. Polaris makes an excellent motorcycle.

My Victory CCT is only coming up on 84K miles but it's been 100% reliable 100% of the time. After the sale, it's only needed a dealer for tires because I don't do that. Everything else has been very simple and easy routine maintenance.

It's a crate engine.  I have no idea who is paying for what.  I just saw the bike and the mechanic said they had a new engine for it.  He didn't know what was wrong with the old engine other than it was shot.  I don't know if they'll know unless they take it apart. 

Speaking of Indians, the shop also had a big Indian engine sitting on a pallet.  I have no idea what that's about. 

I also saw one of the "new" Pentons that the Colvins' built.  It has a sticker that says "Kenny Roberts Frame".  I think they have a few dozen Penton kits to custom build.  This one was setup for (vintage) competition. 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 10:11:04 AM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2021, 06:46:34 AM »

Too bad they didn't do that when I asked for it...almost three years ago (September 2018) as was recommended by many top mechanics in this country and Australia, including the dealer. If they would have, I'd still be promoting new Guzzi's to everyone I meet as hard as I did since 1998. Sad to think that if I'd have kept it, it would have been in the shop for almost three straight years. Three straight years of making payments on something not in my possession and getting the run around. It only solidifies my tough decision to trade it. But, it was running good when I did traded it so the fact that it went down after only a few hundred miles after spending thousands on the "repair" tells me that Luigi was hungover and without coffee when he assembled the damned thing that Monday morning when it was built. I loved the bike for 18,000 miles and it was well on its way to being my favorite of all time until it went haywire. I also find myself riding the 01 Calspec with almost 150K on the clock more and more often too.

GliderJohn

If they put a new motor in it, I think it'll be solid. Everything else on it was fine and dandy.

I love this Indian. Self adjusting hydraulic valves are neat for a change :evil:. Liquid cooled, 6 gallon tank, 42MPG, electric windshield, real cruise control, smart lean technology, TPMS, awesome stereo, real luggage space, real horn and much more. I've added a stage one intake, cobra slip-ons and with the recent Lloyd Greer ecu flash, the thing probably makes around 140HP now and is an absolute blast to ride. Handles like a dream and the technology on the thing is seriously out of this world. I particularly like the weather-map overlay on the GPS. I've used it to ride around several storms. Going on 9K so far in 12 months and not so much as a hiccup other than a few little software things that have been quickly corrected on the spot. It's also really awesome having one of the top dealers in the country only 10 minute from home.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 07:03:37 AM by Luap McKeever »
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2021, 07:08:26 AM »
Glad you are enjoy it especially after your nightmare with the Guzzi. You know it’s a shame our beloved Moto Guzzi can’t offer such fine tuned and equipped motorcycle. However we still remain loyal❤️

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2021, 01:14:48 PM »

I love this Indian. Self adjusting hydraulic valves are neat for a change :evil:. Liquid cooled, 6 gallon tank, 42MPG, electric windshield, real cruise control, smart lean technology, TPMS, awesome stereo, real luggage space, real horn and much more. I've added a stage one intake, cobra slip-ons and with the recent Lloyd Greer ecu flash, the thing probably makes around 140HP now and is an absolute blast to ride. Handles like a dream and the technology on the thing is seriously out of this world. I particularly like the weather-map overlay on the GPS. I've used it to ride around several storms. Going on 9K so far in 12 months and not so much as a hiccup other than a few little software things that have been quickly corrected on the spot. It's also really awesome having one of the top dealers in the country only 10 minute from home.

Yeah...yeah....bite me.   :tongue:   :grin: :grin: :grin:  Good to hear that it's working out for you.   :thumb:

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2021, 02:03:51 PM »
I have no idea who is paying for the engine. 
John L 

Online Mike Craven

• Gosling
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2021, 05:23:58 PM »
"I love this Indian. Self adjusting...."  I was thinking Luap should be moved to the WildIndian site.

But rethinking that, it sounds like my '83 Cali II:

"I love this Indian. Self adjusting hydraulic valves are neat for a change . Liquid cooled 6 gallon tank, 42MPG + , electric windshield, real cruise control, smart lean technology, TPMS, LMNOP, awesome stereo, real luggage space, real horn and much more a second horn. I've added a stage one intake, cobra slip-ons and with the recent Lloyd Greer ecu flash, the thing probably makes around 1 40HP now and is an absolute blast to ride. Handles like a dream and the technology on the thing is seriously out of this world. I particularly like the weather-map overlay on the GPS. I've used it to ride around several storms. Going on 99K so far in 12 360 months and not so much as a hiccup other than a few little hardsoftware things that have been quickly corrected on the spot. It's also really awesome having one of the top dealers only a few countryies only 10 minute from home."
Mike  L-715, Atlanta GA
1983 Cali II

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2021, 08:31:46 PM »
Mike, riding a Guzzi is only a tangential point with the board.  It's a campfire.  I think a Guzzi hater has a space here too.  Luap still has a Guzzi.  The fact that Indian has a bike he likes is an issue with Guzzi, not Luap.  Otherwise we'd all be riding V7s and 85's.  I was here before I even owned one. 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 08:34:16 PM by LowRyter »
John L 

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2021, 07:01:43 AM »
Mike, riding a Guzzi is only a tangential point with the board.  It's a campfire.  I think a Guzzi hater has a space here too.  Luap still has a Guzzi.  The fact that Indian has a bike he likes is an issue with Guzzi, not Luap.  Otherwise we'd all be riding V7s and 85's.  I was here before I even owned one.

Vary true..  Ive been here since '08 and didnt get my Guzzi till 2 years ago.. 
Paul B

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2021, 03:36:45 PM »
"I love this Indian. Self adjusting...."  I was thinking Luap should be moved to the WildIndian site.

"I love this Indian. Self adjusting hydraulic valves are neat for a change . Liquid cooled 6 gallon tank, 42MPG + , electric windshield, real cruise control, smart lean technology, TPMS, LMNOP, awesome stereo, real luggage space, real horn and much more a second horn. I've added a stage one intake, cobra slip-ons and with the recent Lloyd Greer ecu flash, the thing probably makes around 1 40HP now and is an absolute blast to ride. Handles like a dream and the technology on the thing is seriously out of this world. I particularly like the weather-map overlay on the GPS. I've used it to ride around several storms. Going on 99K so far in 12 360 months and not so much as a hiccup other than a few little hardsoftware things that have been quickly corrected on the spot. It's also really awesome having one of the top dealers only a few countryies only 10 minute from home."

Thanks for the idea. Maybe I need to do a wildindian.com site and only welcome Indian riders  :rolleyes:
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2021, 03:53:51 PM »

"I love this Indian. Self adjusting hydraulic valves are neat for a change . Liquid cooled 6 gallon tank, 42MPG + , electric windshield, real cruise control, smart lean technology, TPMS, LMNOP, awesome stereo, real luggage space, real horn and much more a second horn. I've added a stage one intake, cobra slip-ons and with the recent Lloyd Greer ecu flash, the thing probably makes around 1 40HP now and is an absolute blast to ride. Handles like a dream and the technology on the thing is seriously out of this world. I particularly like the weather-map overlay on the GPS. I've used it to ride around several storms. Going on 99K so far in 12 360 months and not so much as a hiccup other than a few little hardsoftware things that have been quickly corrected on the spot. It's also really awesome having one of the top dealers only a few countryies
only 10 minute[/s] from home."
What the hell was that ?
If there’s a point in there at all, will you share it with us ? Your meaning is not readily apparent to me.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 02:28:35 AM by Huzo »

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2021, 11:11:03 PM »

That's laugh out loud funny right there. Thank you Mike. I can definitely see the resemblance between Laup's Indian Challenger and your Cal II.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 11:12:33 PM by TN Mark »

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2021, 01:45:37 AM »
Too bad they didn't do that when I asked for it...almost three years ago (September 2018) as was recommended by many top mechanics in this country and Australia, including the dealer. If they would have, I'd still be promoting new Guzzi's to everyone I meet as hard as I did since 1998. Sad to think that if I'd have kept it, it would have been in the shop for almost three straight years. Three straight years of making payments on something not in my possession and getting the run around. It only solidifies my tough decision to trade it. But, it was running good when I did traded it so the fact that it went down after only a few hundred miles after spending thousands on the "repair" tells me that Luigi was hungover and without coffee when he assembled the damned thing that Monday morning when it was built. I loved the bike for 18,000 miles and it was well on its way to being my favorite of all time until it went haywire. I also find myself riding the 01 Calspec with almost 150K on the clock more and more often too.

If they put a new motor in it, I think it'll be solid. Everything else on it was fine and dandy.

Lloyd Greer is ‘the man’ when it comes to performance with Polaris motorcycles. He cut his teeth with Victory Motorcycles making some amazing parts and builds. A Lloyds supercharger kit with his variable clutch on an otherwise stock Victory 106” puts out 200 RWHP and 200 FtLbs/Trq. He built a Victory engine up to nearly 300 RWHP at one point. He still couldn’t break the oem drive belt. His cam options, air filters, big bore kits and clutches are still ‘the’ benchmark of performance and longevity. Completely streetable performance items that last for the normal life of the engine is his calling card. His DR cams, timing wheel, air filter and 1/4 turn throttle ring have been fantastic in my Victory for well over 70K miles. I’ve had all his ‘low hanging fruit’ for a long time. My next move would be to his variable clutch and a 117” big bore kit for another 15 RWHP and another 15 FtLbs/Trq.

Lloyd simply transferred his years of knowledge and R&D on Victory to Indian. Lloyd Greer is to Polaris what Carol Shelby was to Ford.

His slip on mufflers and his tune for the Challenger will be well worth the wait.

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2021, 06:18:02 AM »
A Luap-style WildIndian site is much needed. I would be on board.

Online Mike Craven

• Gosling
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2021, 08:43:34 PM »
Sorry y'all.  Didn't mean to sound facetious; a few emojis woulda been valuable here.   I did think the reader would infer that a "WildIndian" site would be a Luap creation.

The Cali II part was simply Cali-deprecating humor.  I love mine and given the choice I sold my Norge.  TN Mark, I'm glad you got it.

If you do your own work a site like WildGuzzi is invaluable.  I have a favorite site for each of my cars and if I bough an Indian I'd love a resource half as good as y'all on WildGuzzi.

Back to the OP it's awfully curious what's gone on with Luap's old goose.  Furthermore, how MG/Piaggio works dealers and customers is far from how I learned about retail as a kid and there's some good threads kicking that around.    Doesn't compute in the industrial world either.

Cheers!
Mike  L-715, Atlanta GA
1983 Cali II

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here