Author Topic: Mid 80’s California II, what to look out for  (Read 709 times)

Offline sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
Mid 80’s California II, what to look out for
« on: May 16, 2021, 06:43:44 AM »
There is a California II for sale, that appears to be in fair shape from pics. Doubt it had regular maintenance. Has an open air box with foam filters.

What should I be looking out for....?
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: Mid 80’s California II, what to look out for
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2021, 07:35:48 AM »
I still got one. 1st year they were putting crappy button head hardware on them. I changed all of them, the head  strips out. Some of the best Guzzi's out there, seen many with over 200K mi. Carbs wear out 1st. I have 32mm on mine with Malossi foam filters.
There is a few nice one out there right now.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 07:46:31 AM by guzzisteve »
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2021, 08:01:22 AM »
Steve,
Just sent you a pm....
John

I still got one. 1st year they were putting crappy button head hardware on them. I changed all of them, the head  strips out. Some of the best Guzzi's out there, seen many with over 200K mi. Carbs wear out 1st. I have 32mm on mine with Malossi foam filters.
There is a few nice one out there right now.
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
  • Daytona, Stelvio [Kansas]
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2021, 08:12:39 AM »
- oil lines should be replaced with stainless  (originals will fail at the fittings)
- cam chain requires manual adjustment of the tnsioner; it's best to replace with a later Guzzi auto-tensioner (there are non-Guzzi alternatives that I have no experience with)
- clutch.  a good number of Cal2s have a tranny-to-case alignment issue that causes premature wear on the inner hub and the fly wheel.  This results in the clutch not disengaging when the lever is pulled in because of the taper wear on the teeth.
- exhaust cross-over will likely burn through at around 150,000 miles
- side stand: the bracket will crack. best to look closely.

Here is a summary of mine when it hit 300,000 miles
Engine
    -piston/rings - original
    -Crank/rods/bearings – all original
    -Cylinders – original
    -Valves - replaced once  at around 100,000 miles
    -valve train and cam shaft - original
    -oil lines – replaced with stainless at 250,000 miles
    -Cam chain - the original was replaced at 60,000 at which point I changed to the latest Guzzi auto-tensioner.  Since then it's been replaced once for no particular reason except that it seemed a reasonable thing to do (the tensioner was left alone).  I think that these things may actually last forever.
    -Oil changed every 2,000 miles (conventional mineral).

Transmission
    -Transmission - original
    -Clutch - worst part of the bike.  The original clutch lasted less than 5,000 miles (replaced under warranty).  I get about 35,000 miles (sometimes more) before the splines are worn to a taper, and the clutch no longer releases.  This problem seems more common to Cal2s than anything else.  I've been using the deep spline since 1993; it's better, but doesn't end the problem.
    -gaskets - sump pan set replaced twice (accidentally torn).  Valve cover replaced at ~50,000 miles with sample set of orange silicone gaskets.  Never replaced since.  Base gaskets original, head gaskets replaced with new valves.
    - gear oil replaced every 6,000 miles.  Same moly mix always used in the tranny/rear end (Guzzi recommends this in the rear drive box, but not the transmission)
-windshield - I've always liked the OEM shield , but since two cracked out at around 100,000 each, I replaced it with a National Cycle shield. It works better, anyway

Exhaust
    -exhaust - nothing wrong with the original except that it's impossible to remove the rear wheel without removing the left exhaust.  Replaced ages ago with a set of Dunstall replicas, which can stay put when the wheel comes off.
    -Exhaust cross-over - these things seem to burn up after180,000 miles.

Rear Drive Box
    -Rear end box - wheel splines replaced at 200,000 miles, otherwise original
    Drive shaft and coupling - original
    U-joint - seems to be good for around 60,000 miles.  After having the thing disintegrate along with the carrier bearing, I'm pretty conscientious about replacing the carrier bearing more often than the u-joint.  The carrier bearing gets replaced with every clutch change (it's cheap).
    - gear oil replaced every 6,000 miles.  Same moly mix always used in the tranny/rear end.

Bodywork
    -Seat - Original. Go figure; I love the stock seat!
    -saddle bags and trunk – original, but I no long pack enough to need them.

Other
    -Air induction - Got tired of messing with the airbox with each clutch change, so I changed to K&N.  These cannot possibly be as good at filtering as the OEM filter, so I am careful to keep them well oiled.
    -Throttle cables - replaced at 245,000 miles after the metal ends became a little sloppy.  Otherwise they would seem to last forever.
    -Speedometer - still works, but now reads about 15% too slow (I rely on an electronic bicycle unit)
    -Tachometer - still works with original cable.
    - rotor-  replaced once
    -Points - After dealing with a balky mechanical advance mechanism, I replaced the whole thing at 150,000 miles with a Lucas (!) Rita.  Perfect order ever since.
    -Brakes - original rotors, but they're clearly worn (but not warped).
    -light bulbs - replaced one turn signal bulb, everything else is original.
    -starter - rebuilt three times and then replaced by French unit.  It's a pretty cheap thing to do.
    -metal fatigue failures - side stand bracket, right-rear shock attachment bolt, horn brackets, nose-piece of starter.
    -grips, replaced after the original waffle surface was worn smooth.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2021, 08:12:39 AM »

Offline sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2021, 08:21:51 AM »
Daniel,
Thanks.  :thumb:
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Online Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2021, 08:27:33 AM »
I think they are attractive motorcycles!  This one was for sale a couple of years ago.  I was tempted but must draw the line somewhere. 

Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2021, 08:39:42 AM »
Buy it, it's cheap

Edit:   Went for $1595
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 08:47:17 AM by guzzisteve »

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2021, 09:50:16 AM »
Switches will melt if higher watt bulbs are used without relays. Plastic around bulb sockets can melt. Original bags crack around mounting points.  Steering stop eventually migrates away from lower triple tree and can shave off the aluminum nubs that are  supposed to contact the frame mounted stop. Easy fix by using a pry bar to bend the steel bracket forward,  closer to the tree. Plastic alternator cover mounting holes will deform if tightened too much. Fork lug can break on the side that holds the large end of the axel if the pinch bolt is over tight. Should be done up just snug and using a torque wrench here is asking for trouble. Mufflers can fall apart internally. Sharply slap the end of the muffler and listen for rattle. Transmission may have the plastic caged bearings on the shafts that can fail if exposed to molybdenum additives. Besides what’s been mentioned that’s mostly it. Decent bikes that can go a couple hundred thousand miles . I like the waffle cone pattern grips that came on the bike, I put them on all my own bikes.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 09:58:05 AM by John A »
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2021, 11:48:17 AM »
Gentlemen,

I missed the bidding, but I’m in contact with the owner. Will update if/when I get it

Thank to all of you for the tips, tricks and sound advice.  Terrific group on this forum.

John
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Offline Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2021, 12:12:14 PM »
Lets see some pics when you get it !  The older I get, the more I like these bikes.
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2021, 03:22:56 PM »
Gentlemen,

I missed the bidding, but I’m in contact with the owner. Will update if/when I get it

Thank to all of you for the tips, tricks and sound advice.  Terrific group on this forum.

John
Alot of times the bidder don't want it, don't respond, or whatever. Good luck. I still have all the stock stuff for mine. Long skunk hard seat, front forks, airbox. Even mufflers.
Hope you get it. There is one like new down here but seller want's good money for it, worth it, it's nice.

Offline sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2021, 03:52:45 PM »
Thanks Steve, I guess you saw the one In EBay? I might be look8ng for a skunk seat if I get it.

Nobody bid on it, even though it was starting at 1595. Still trying to get a hold of the seller.
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Offline jguzzi

• Hatchling
  • 1971 Ambassador, MGNOC# 11324
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2021, 05:17:55 PM »
I had a 1983 model with the skunk seat....looked just like Dave's picture.  Really a great highway bike at the time....not so much in town because it is pretty long legged.  Eventually, I put it on consignment sales at Moto America in Lillington, NC which was also the home of the national importer.  It sold pretty quickly for a fair price.  I was back down there a month or two later and asked if the owner was happy.  Emily told me he was happy....until it was stolen off the streets in Philadelphia.  Always felt bad about that. 

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here