Author Topic: Fossil and azguzzirep's Roamer threadfest  (Read 13846 times)

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
Fossil and azguzzirep's Roamer threadfest
« on: April 09, 2016, 10:11:44 AM »
Well, my dealer has his open day today. Beside real good life music (and beer for those who did not ride) a lot of Ducatis, Suzukis, Kymcos and so on could be tested. And a white V9 Roamer. Of course I took the opportunity to compare the bike to my 2013 V7 Stone.

1) The finish. As I have already reported the bike is flawless. Metal everywhere (even the marking at the side panels). The switches and armatures are really modern. Not that 70th stuff which can be found at the V7. The bike in my opinion stands second to nothing in this regard. I will provide a few detail pictures soon.
2) The engine. The sound is sweet. It sounds compact, a bit similar to Ducatis - without the mechanical noise. Deep, nice.
The acceleration is brisk. MUCH stronger than that of my 37 kW V7. It follows the throttle absolut directly. But this means that it runs into the limiter all the time. And then there is that nasty little red light in the instrument... And this bike is brand-new. It has not loosened up in any way. Following an accelerating Ducati Scrambler was no problem at all.
Edit: I forgot about the shifting. Well, short ways, finding neutral is sometimes difficult (but, remember, the bike was brand-new!). The steps are perfect. There is an indicator in the display that counts the gear! Luxury!
A small hiccup could be felt in very fast gear-changing manoeuvres on the track. I think this was caused by the anti-slip circuitry.
3) The seating position. The pegs are forward, but are somewhat half - heartetly. The handlebar was too high for my taste, and too much rearward. This should be corrected! My Stone has the windshield, the V9 needs a shield more! The seat is comfortable. I liked it.
4) The driving characteristics. Well....
The bike is mostly neutral. I had to consider the different seating position. It generally likes turns. However: in wide, fast turns the centrifugal forces of the big (and beautiful!) front wheel are very perceptible. And the leaning angle is not high! We first rode several real twisty roads I know really well, then we used the ADAC - handling track. And here in a slow sharp left turn the (I presume) side stand kissed the ground sharply so I had to leave the track! My V7 would have laughed about this curve. It was in sharp turns where I had real difficulties to follow the Ducati Scrambler. It was work.
The suspension is very similar to that of my Stone. Could be better but considering that the layout of the bike is not fast it should be sufficient.

So what do I think? The bike is nice. I stands it�s ground against Sportster 883 and Yamaha Bolt. The engine is beautiful and feels strong. The make is good. But the driving experience - at least to me - is ambivalent. I now join the chorus: this engine in a V7 - like format would be nice!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 11:32:39 AM by oldbike54 »
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

oldbike54

Re: V9 Roamer - my first ride
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 10:25:28 AM »
 Thanks for that Thorsten .

Dusty

Offline Buddy Shagmore

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 10:26:36 AM »
Good report. Nice to hear the good stuff, but it's too bad they didn't make 1 cruiser and 1 standard out of the v9, instead of 2 cruisers. Maybe someday...?

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 10:41:53 AM »
Buddy, we all hope so. But if the reports get it right the V7 now is E4 - compatible. And this means building a V9 in the same style would inflict the sales figures of both.
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 10:41:53 AM »

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 11:03:56 AM »
Some detail pictures.

The shifter mechanism looks nice.

Nice way to fit a fender.

I rode this bike:

The seat IS comfortable - at least to me!

Details like this you find everywhere on the bike:

Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Offline Adan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 11:10:50 AM »
The journalists all say the Bobber is more stable leaned over, so the Roamer may be for folks who really truly just want to cruise.  The dragging hard parts bit is more disappointing, but I have no experience with feet forward or semi-forward riding.  Maybe the ground clearance of the V9 is actually a good compromise between comfort and leaning ability.
V9 Bobber
Zero S

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 11:18:17 AM »
It may be so. We must keep in mind that bikes like Bolt and Sportster (and, as they say, Street Twin) which are the main contenders are not really sport bikes. I rode the same roads (but not the track) immediately after the test ride with my V 7 Stone and this bike felt a lot more agile and nimble. I don�t regard my leaning angle as especially "sporty" as I am more on the cautious side but there were much less limitations. The V 7 simply is much more suited for rural roads.

However: for commuting, in citys and so on the V9 should be great. And the bike simply is nice to look at. And this is important!

Adan, re-reading your post: The Roamer does feel stable in turns. That was what surprised me. I had a great time chasing Scramblers, Monsters and several Suzukis on the track and then there came the big "Ssskrrrraaatchhhh".

Only to make it clear: I did not throw the bike away....
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 11:23:42 AM by fossil »
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Online jcctx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 03:22:14 PM »
Nice looking scoot!! Wonder how much it would cost to eliminate the seam surrounding the tank; it just SCREAMS Cheeeeeeep??????????????

Offline Devildog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2016, 04:27:48 PM »
Thanks Fossil. WG members have mentioned the thin seat looks uncomfortable. Any comment?
Do you think Enduro/Flat Track style handlebars would cure the too high bars, or create more problems?
'93 Daytona 1000
'95 Sport 1100
'98 Ducati 900 SS Final Edition
2002 Aprilia RSV Mille R
'10 GasGas e250 FE

Offline oldlegs

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 05:10:03 PM »
I like the look and apparent quality of the V9 but the foot forward pegs would rule it out for me because I need to take some weight on my feet and off my backside to save my old back when on our pot holed roads. Steve.

lucydad

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2016, 05:28:34 PM »
Fossil,

Much thanks!  Forward pegs don't work for me either.  Otherwise, pretty cool bike.  Does the other V9 have a more normal geometry? 

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2016, 05:51:38 PM »
I've still not heard/seen anything that would make me trade in my V7.  Engine specs are way too close, and I've got some dough invested in making the Special my own.  Now a big block V10/11/12 might make me rethink that.  I KNOW Triumph has already done that, but it's not a Guzzi. Damn that Thruxton!
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Lcarlson

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2016, 05:57:03 PM »
I like the look and apparent quality of the V9 but the foot forward pegs would rule it out for me because I need to take some weight on my feet and off my backside to save my old back when on our pot holed roads. Steve.

From the pictures of the Roamer being ridden, it appears that the rider can get his/her weight off the seat and onto the pegs. Perhaps Thorsten can confirm this....

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2016, 06:17:11 PM »
From the pictures of the Roamer being ridden, it appears that the rider can get his/her weight off the seat and onto the pegs. Perhaps Thorsten can confirm this....

Come on, they're not that far forward.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

Lcarlson

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2016, 06:46:17 PM »
Come on, they're not that far forward.

Don't understand what you're saying -- my point is that they are NOT that far forward; that's why it looks like you can get your weight off the saddle.

Offline Bud

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2016, 06:55:49 PM »
     Thanks for the review of the bike. I like the all metal parts but the tank not only looks cheap to me but reminds me of a pontoon off an airplane or something, YUK.

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2016, 07:24:38 PM »
Don't understand what you're saying -- my point is that they are NOT that far forward; that's why it looks like you can get your weight off the saddle.

Others have said they were forward comtrols, and a negative aspect of the bike.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

Lcarlson

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2016, 07:46:39 PM »
Check the pictures, or better yet, let's hear from somebody who has ridden one.

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2016, 07:49:47 PM »
We just did!  See (READ) first post.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 07:52:14 PM by Cam3512 »
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

Lcarlson

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2016, 08:39:15 PM »
We just did!  See (READ) first post.

Who hasn't said if you can get your weight on the pegs -- help us here Thorsten!

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2016, 09:10:01 PM »
Who hasn't said if you can get your weight on the pegs -- help us here Thorsten!

The peg mounts, regardless of where they are, sure are good looking bits of metal.

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2016, 09:25:32 PM »
I just took a look at my V7 pegs.  They are about 2" forward of the swimgarm pivot.  The V9's appear to be about 6-8" forward.  Just a guess, as the V9 may have a different drive train layout.  Seems it would take the right angle bend out of your knee.  Mine get stiff after about 100 miles of not putting my feet down.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2016, 11:55:40 PM »
Fossil,

Much thanks!  Forward pegs don't work for me either.  Otherwise, pretty cool bike.  Does the other V9 have a more normal geometry?

I sat on one today and don't understand way folks think these are forward controls.  Yes, they are farther forward than a V7.  The peg position is very similar to Harley mid controls.  You could easily stand on them. 
Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

pete roper

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2016, 12:22:13 AM »
If it had a plastic tank it would be lighter, cheaper and wouldn't have a welded seam. Nor would it rust.

I can hear the corn cob pipes splintering from here.........

Pete

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2016, 12:58:01 AM »
Hello!
It�s now 07:36 am here, and I am awake again. So I will give gladly answer the questions now.

I see the most urgent questions regard the seating position. And the seat itself. So let�s start here. I wrote in the OP the seat is comfortable. To make this point clear: I�m not spoiled by the seats of the V7. The original seat of the V7 is uncomfortable to me, the padding is much to soft. I tested the seat from the old Cafe Classic, which you can buy from the Garage - program. Much to soft and to low. I have the Gel Confort seat in normal hight and this works. The seat of the V9 looks very flat. But its geometry is good (at least for my butt). And the padding has a nice tightness. I was positively surprised.

It is definitely not possible to leave the seat and stand up. This is something I do relatively often on my bike. The V9 does not allow to simply stand up as the pegs are nearly below the handles. Because of the relative position of pegs and handles and the low seat you sit a bit leaned backwards. The wind does not make it better. Another arrangement of the handlebar (lower, perhaps different risers) could make it better. But you sit very near the bar.

This of course is not so nice when you want to drive fast. As I said the V9 likes turns. So you want to sit forward-orientated. And this is difficult.
Perhaps this is why the motor journalists prefer the Bopper. The handlebar of this bike is better. I don�t believe that the fatter tyre really is better in this regard.

The Roamer I rode has the Sport Demons - a tyre I don�t really like. I blame it for a slight indifference in the feel of the front even at my bike. The V9 feels similar in this regard.

The engine is the theme where Guzzi has made a big step forward. We all know that the V7 - engine feels much stronger than it should. Believe me, the V9 - engine is that stronger that I was really disappointed with the performance of my bike when I took of with it again. The throttle response is absolutely direct and linear. The engine is sweet!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 01:04:04 AM by fossil »
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2016, 07:18:14 AM »
What is the seat height on the V9's?

janusz

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2016, 07:33:38 AM »
What is the seat height on the V9's?

29.5 in. (750 mm), on Bobber 29.3 in. (745 mm)

Offline azguzzirep

• Gaggle Hero
  • Gratzi Carlo!
rode the V9 Roamer today
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2016, 07:43:16 AM »
Open house this weekend at my Guzzi dealer this weekend.

Took a too short a ride on the Roamer. Only about 5 miles. Firstly, the bike is ergonomically perfect for me. Even the seat is more comfortable than I thought it would be. The exhaust tune is clear but not too deep. The engine revs quickly and smoothly.

I checked the control's and mirrors first. Clutch and brake levers easy and comfortable. Mirrors were in a little too much but I wasn't going to be worried about what was behind me.

Started the bike and 'clicked ' into gear. Beautiful! Let out the clutch and rolled out of the parking lot and down the side street to the main road. Brakes were good but turn signal difficult to cancel. Just need practice.

Once on the main road I rolled on the throttle. Marvellous! Smooth, smooth motor. Transmission is so awesome!!

I rode the bike to the next little town and looped a round a bout  and headed back. Light, easy handling, smooth , expensive.

I like the bike a lot. The Bobber's bars are cool but the front tire is too fat for my taste. I didn't test ride that one.

Tom
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 07:46:45 AM by azguzzirep »
Murphy's  Law sucks!

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: rode the V9 Roamer today
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2016, 08:14:07 AM »
 :thumb:
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2016, 08:34:21 AM »
The engine is sweet!

Sounds like the factory should put the V9 motor in the current V7 platforms too. A V9 Stornello, a V9 Racer, a V9 Special?

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here