Author Topic: From the private collection of Ewan McGregor  (Read 11213 times)

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
Re: From the private collection of Ewan McGregor
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2017, 10:51:31 AM »
At the BSAOC Open Day at Billing Aquadome (UK) in 2005, I thought it was my American background that made it difficult to understand some folks.

Then I heard a guy from Lancashire and a Welshman trying to talk to each other, and it was all "Eh?  Say that again?"   "What's that, now?"; they might as well have been a Ghanian and a Finn talking to each other in their home languages ....

Lannis

The regionals are hilarious and then the fierce pride on top of it?

I can sit and talk to, say, a Yorkshireman just fine but have another distinctly regional Englishman, Welsh or Scott individual come up and suddenly, I can no longer understand my Yorkie!

But, we have it here too. I saw it in the Army all the damn time. Conversing just fine with a Southerner until a New Englander comes up and they both start yukin' it up to the point of barely communicating. Texas, Chicago, urban Black, Okla-dam-homa.... Seems human nature to over-exude a regional patois as soon as one from another region is detected.

Todd.

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2017, 11:29:18 AM »

.... Seems human nature to over-exude a regional patois as soon as one from another region is detected.

Danged ef'n Ah don' b'leeve yew cud be raht.   Y'all ain't f'm 'round heah, air ya boy?
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline molly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2017, 01:26:51 PM »
Compared to Dick van Dyke trying to do a Cockney chimney sweep's accent in "Mary Poppins", McGregor did a stellar job .... !

Lannis

Russel Crowe did a marvelous Irish accent playing Robin Hood . Now if Robin Hood had actually existed he would have lived about 30 miles from my house and we ain't got no bloody Paddy twang in this neck end of the woods.
When he was interviewed by the BBC and his accent in the film was mentioned he stormed out of the interview bringing it to a premature close.
Dave

Lincolnshire, U.K.

Griso 1100

oldbike54

« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2017, 02:13:50 PM »
 Probably the worst two fake accents ever were the very early Beverly Hillbillies and what's his name from I Dream of Jeanie trying to sound like a Texan . Of course then there was the case of Sean Connery playing Arabs with a Scottish accents  :shocked: :laugh:

Dusty

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2017, 02:13:50 PM »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2017, 02:29:28 PM »
Probably the worst two fake accents ever were the very early Beverly Hillbillies and what's his name from I Dream of Jeanie trying to sound like a Texan . Of course then there was the case of Sean Connery playing Arabs with a Scottish accents  :shocked: :laugh:

Dusty

I agree on the "I Dream of Jeannie" to "Dallas" thing ... but I think Buddy Ebsen and Irene Ryan did a pretty good job on the Beverly Hillbillies .... ?   Buddy Ebsen's mannerisms and "genteel" Ozark persona was done well, I thought.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2017, 03:14:06 PM »
The regionals are hilarious and then the fierce pride on top of it?

I can sit and talk to, say, a Yorkshireman just fine but have another distinctly regional Englishman, Welsh or Scott individual come up and suddenly, I can no longer understand my Yorkie!

But, we have it here too. I saw it in the Army all the damn time. Conversing just fine with a Southerner until a New Englander comes up and they both start yukin' it up to the point of barely communicating. Texas, Chicago, urban Black, Okla-dam-homa.... Seems human nature to over-exude a regional patois as soon as one from another region is detected.

Todd.

Todd.

Sorta reminds me of Dusty and Michael D.  Them guys bein' from Tulsa and me from Okla City, I can barely understand them. 

That Eastern Okie Accent is from a whole 'nother place.   :weiner:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

oldbike54

« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2017, 03:21:13 PM »
I agree on the "I Dream of Jeannie" to "Dallas" thing ... but I think Buddy Ebsen and Irene Ryan did a pretty good job on the Beverly Hillbillies .... ?   Buddy Ebsen's mannerisms and "genteel" Ozark persona was done well, I thought.

Lannis

They did tone the accents and mannerisms down to a more realistic level after the first few shows , but go back and watch the very early episodes , over the top I tell ya  :laugh:

Sorta reminds me of Dusty and Michael D.  Them guys bein' from Tulsa and me from Okla City, I can barely understand them. 

That Eastern Okie Accent is from a whole 'nother place.   :weiner:

Tulsa has a different regional accent than OKC , kind of like Pittsburgh or Baltimore . You flatlanders sound more like Jayhawks than Okies  :grin:

Dusty

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2017, 04:48:06 PM »
well Fargo nailed it for Minnesota dialect/accent/choice of words.. don't cha know..
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

oldbike54

« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2017, 04:52:04 PM »
well Fargo nailed it for Minnesota dialect/accent/choice of words.. don't cha know..

Great movie , although the claim at the beginning that it is based on a true story is bogus  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2017, 05:21:42 PM »
Thread drift ROCKS!

Me? Being from Minnesota I found Fargo to be humorous the fist time, annoying the next and each time I hear a clip from it now - it's very... off-puting, ya-know.

Todd.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 05:23:21 PM by cruzziguzzi »
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2017, 04:09:09 AM »
Lloyd Christmas in "Dumb and Dumber" when the girl says she's from Austria, and Lloyd says.. "ok then, I'll toss a shrimp on the Barbay". Although I agree that was in jest, I just cringe when the Yanks try to copy an Aussie, they sound like Poms. The Kate Winslett accent in the dressmaker was perfect though !

Offline kfz

• Gosling
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2017, 06:25:00 AM »
Someone should remind Ewan's assistant (fixed it).  (he circumvented the dictionary when placing the ad)

Maybe he did circumvent the globe, I take that as he went straight through the middle?

Kev

Offline Lee Davis

• Gosling
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2017, 06:48:33 AM »
"These aren't the motorcycles you're looking for... move along... move along"
Loopframe rebuilder and Erotic Farmer

Offline Lee Davis

• Gosling
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2017, 06:56:21 AM »
Talking about languages and accents, the strangest thing I ever witnessed was the heavily accented German chef arguing with the equally accented Italian manager over the best way to present enchiladas, in English as the Chicano kitchen staff looked on.
Loopframe rebuilder and Erotic Farmer

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2017, 09:27:02 AM »
I must have missed it: aside from the seller's claim that Mr. McGregor once owned these bikes, what other proof does the buyer receive?

Well Ewan has posted pics of these bike together & separate, including pics of himself aboard....  on his verified instagram account....

I love them both. That greenie with the Magni fairing   :drool:
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

oldbike54

« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2017, 09:36:14 AM »
Lloyd Christmas in "Dumb and Dumber" when the girl says she's from Austria, and Lloyd says.. "ok then, I'll toss a shrimp on the Barbay". Although I agree that was in jest, I just cringe when the Yanks try to copy an Aussie, they sound like Poms. The Kate Winslett accent in the dressmaker was perfect though !

You have no idea , Russell Crowe , a Kiwi posing an an Ozzie attempting an American accent . It was awful , like listening to a frog trying to speak like a roo  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2017, 09:36:30 AM »
Great movie , although the claim at the beginning that it is based on a true story is bogus  :laugh:

Dusty

Dusty, the TV series is EXCELLENT.  It's an anthology, every season has a different era/cast/plot but are all set in the 'Fargo Universe' and they are great!

Ewan plays two brothers in the same show in season 3, it's pretty cool.  I liked season 2 the best so far I think.  Ewan as the trashy brother in season 3 has about the sexiest girlfriend in all of recorded history, and shes a badass to boot.
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2017, 11:45:47 AM »

Dusty, the TV series is EXCELLENT.  It's an anthology, every season has a different era/cast/plot but are all set in the 'Fargo Universe' and they are great!

Ewan plays two brothers in the same show in season 3, it's pretty cool.  I liked season 2 the best so far I think.  Ewan as the trashy brother in season 3 has about the sexiest girlfriend in all of recorded history, and shes a badass to boot.

I always thought that Fargo was in N Dakota but that must not be true.

THIS IS A TRUE STORY.
The events depicted in this film
took place in Minnesota in 1987 (1979, 2001, 2009).
At the request of the survivors,
the names have been changed.
Out of respect for the dead,
the rest has been told exactly
as it occurred.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 11:47:12 AM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2017, 01:41:19 PM »
Why didnt Ewan take 5 minutes to walk up to each bike and sign the tank with a sharpie? What would that have done to affect the value?  :laugh:
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline molly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2017, 03:23:17 AM »
You have no idea , Russell Crowe , a Kiwi posing an an Ozzie attempting an American accent . It was awful , like listening to a frog trying to speak like a roo  :laugh:

Dusty

I'm going to be kind to Russel and say he did a good very job of playing a British naval officer in Master and Commander: The far side of the World. (A must see for all naval history buffs out there). His accent was more or less his own and no one criticized
him for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oyQGHHz8U8
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 03:27:34 AM by molly »
Dave

Lincolnshire, U.K.

Griso 1100

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here