Author Topic: Stelvio ABS sensor  (Read 863 times)

Offline Peter949

• PeterCaliII
  • Hatchling
  • 84 Cali II
Stelvio ABS sensor
« on: August 29, 2019, 07:01:44 PM »
and so my Guzzi dealer connected the 'computer' to my 2012 Stelvio and identified that the rear ABS sensor is faulty. The ABS dash light was constantly on.   :sad:  I wanted to ask the group if anyone was able to change this rear sensor without involving a dealer. I did enclose a photo of the sensor, but the challenge for me is the connection plug leads up to a very confined area somewhere up behind the engine.

If anyone has any tips or advice, that would be greatly appreciated!

<
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 07:02:28 PM by Peter949 »
Peter

1984  Cali II
Aprilia 125 Sportcity Scooter

pete roper

Re: Stelvio ABS sensor
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 07:15:51 PM »
Pretty certain the connector is on the RH side under the seat. I'd go and look at mine but it's over in Wagga being mapped. No, changing it out shouldn't be a big deal. I don't think you even have to take the wheel off? Nope. Looking at the sensor in the picture you don't.

Just look under the bottom of the final drive/bevelbox and you'll see the tone sensor sitting in a hole in the casting. Just follow the cable back up the swingarm and up to the connector under the seat. :thumb:

Pete

pete roper

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 11:11:00 PM »
Actually thinking about it it might be the front sensor, (There are two, they double as ABS sensors and I can't remember which one gives the speed signal.).

If it's the front one it's on the, (I think.) RH fork leg and connects into the loom up behind the steering head. You'll need to take the tank off so don't fill it up before you replace the sensor! :grin:

Offline Doug McLaren

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 12:58:17 AM »
 I had to change the sensor on my 2012 Stelvio as the ABS light was constantly on and the speedo didn't show any reading. On mine, the rear sensor sends speedo signal and ABS, the front is ABS only.

As Pete says, the connector for the rear is under the seat at the right hand side, it's easy to change, just follow the cable up from the sensor to the connector. No need to take the wheel off.
2019 V85TT
1994 Ducati 900 Monster
1957 Lodola 175

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 12:58:17 AM »

Offline Peter949

• PeterCaliII
  • Hatchling
  • 84 Cali II
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2019, 07:45:39 AM »
My rear ABS appears to be fixed.  :azn:  Thanks to the good advice from Peter Roper, Doug, and smdl I was able to locate the bad connection for the ABS plug under the seat. I had moved this plug out of the way when I was removing some old Cruise Control wiring. I also gave the ABS plug connector a good spray of Electrical Contact Cleaner, as well as ensuring that the plug in was tight and secure.

I am a little disappointed that the Techs at my dealer did not look at this plug in ABS connector. I even asked them to find it and take a look, but the 'computer' indicated bad sensor. They ordered a sensor.

The new ABS sensor order from the dealer has been cancelled, as it appears that I fixed the problem.

Thanks again to everyone for this help!  :thumb:

Peter
Peter

1984  Cali II
Aprilia 125 Sportcity Scooter

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here