Author Topic: [normzone] declares free agency - looking for a new team  (Read 4223 times)

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
[normzone] declares free agency - looking for a new team
« on: March 04, 2018, 12:51:33 PM »
I'll pull this in a week or so, since it serves no value to the forum. As always, my appreciation for this forum goes beyond words.

The outfit I've been working with has a new corporate parent, and the process of rearranging the management is underway. Marketing and Engineering were the first to be reshuffled, and this week they got around to Quality Assurance.

I had a good run (4.5 years), can't complain. 

So I'm a free agent, looking for a new team to play for. Not locked into just doing QA - I'm open to other opportunities as long as I'm helping the outfit improve.

Resume available on request, I'm on LinkedIn as Norman Lutes.

Thanks for reading.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
Re: [normzone] declares free agency - looking for a new team
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 01:12:17 PM »
Good-looking resume on LinkedIn.   It DOES say "QA" fairly emphatically, but that shouldn't be a bad thing for you; that need is not going away in anyone's company, until there's a merger or re-org like you experienced.

You've been around enough to know that looking for the next job is a full-time job; phone calls, lunch, meeting with someone every day.   The next job will come through someone who knows someone you know .... !   Good luck!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 02:13:08 PM »
Its never fun being sent down the road Norm - I'm at 5 ...... so far

Unfortunately I'm not a lot of help being this side of the pond however I'll PM you the QA sort of vacancies the company has in the US

Cheers and good luck

Tris

2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

jlburgess

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 04:33:40 PM »
Hi Norm,
I work at NASNI on Coronado.  We are always hiring QA types.  Not sure what is open now but might check USA jobs in San Diego.  You can't beat the vacation and sick time but the pay isn't usually that great.  Send me a pm if you have questions.
Good luck!
John Burgess

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 04:33:40 PM »

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • N 44° 01.233 W 069° 41.267 ~ Midcoast, Maine USA
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 06:42:27 PM »
Hi Norm,
I work at NASNI on Coronado.  We are always hiring QA types.  Not sure what is open now but might check USA jobs in San Diego.  You can't beat the vacation and sick time but the pay isn't usually that great.  Send me a pm if you have questions.
Good luck!
John Burgess

This...  Nice thought John.  I believe NASSCO is hiring also...  QA and others. 

Best to you Norm.

Rob

Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Triumph T140V Bonneville
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

The Journey is the Reward

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 07:48:40 PM »
while you're at it, if you know anyone that needs a 29 year old with
a) Bio medical Engineer degree,
b) 3 years experience as a manufacturing engineer for pharmaceutical testing instruments, and has
c) passed the State Engineer's Exam, please let me know.

and best of luck to you Norm.   :thumb:
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 07:51:09 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

twowings

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 09:26:08 PM »
As the old saying goes, 'When one door closes, someone pulls the welcome mat out from under you, too!'

Good luck with the transition to something new and exciting!  :thumb:

Online CPRMan

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 02:10:29 AM »
Hey Norm, I know the feeling. Keep looking, there's a lot of jobs out there, just need to find the one with your name on it.
Chris

jlburgess

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 07:54:30 PM »
Don't forget to stop and smell the roses too.  I ended up spending three years in Oregon riding at my leisure while jobless.  Best time ever!
When you get done with your vacation General Atomics is advertising on the radio now.  Lots of drone work.  If those two leads don't pan out I can help you with a lead at NTA.  Coronado isn't a bad gig.  :thumb:

jlburgess

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2018, 08:11:30 PM »
I just read your Linked in resume and I think the following skills may apply to you or you might learn them from me.  We need a second tech (and I get $500 if you don't screw up ;-)

Here it be;
This position covers nonsupervisory work involved in the maintenance, repair, calibration, and certification of electronic test, measurement, and reference equipment used for precise measurement of a variety of electrical and electronic values, quantities, and relationships such as voltage, resistance, capacitance, frequency, and inductance. This equipment is also used to maintain and assure the functional accuracy and operational precision of industrial, experimental, airborne, marine, and ground electronic systems and equipment. This work requires a working knowledge and practical application of electronic principles and the ability to perform precise measurement of electrical and electronic values, quantities, and relationships. The work also requires skill in performing such processes as troubleshooting, repairing, modifying, overhauling, testing, installing, and calibrating a variety of measurement equipment, instruments, and consoles. Make adjustments, set cams or other controls, and perform operational tests of items for specified performance characteristics such as torque, force, voltage, and current consumption or to detect excessive vibration, overheating, surge, or drag.

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2018, 02:37:04 AM »
Monday I begin an auditing assignment for an outfit the had some key people leave before a regulatory compliance change and an acquisition of another company - it will be fun to audit an outfit that I didn't build.   :popcorn:

Thanks for all your support -
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2018, 07:41:18 AM »
Monday I begin an auditing assignment for an outfit the had some key people leave before a regulatory compliance change and an acquisition of another company - it will be fun to audit an outfit that I didn't build.   :popcorn:

Thanks for all your support -

Thanks for updating us!    This is the kind of thing (assuming it's a temporary assignment) that will let you show people what you can do and lead to something permanent, if that's your goal.

Lots of people who get into the "gig economy" enjoy it ....

Lannis

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 03:48:16 PM »
Thanks [Lannis] - nominally it's a three month gig, we'll see how it all turns out.

The commute is reasonable and the money is good, and my boss seems sane reasonably well adjusted, so if it goes regular full time I'll be okay with that. Next case scenario I get a good reference and some periodic consulting work out of it.

I'll delete this post this week.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 05:34:16 PM »
To Good to hear.  :thumb:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2018, 10:36:59 PM »
I should have said this earlier. Congrats!! :thumb:

Hope it works great for you.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2018, 04:46:54 PM »
Don't delete the thread.  In 18 mos I'll be looking for work, and it's good to see how others before me, weathered the journey.

Joe
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2018, 06:56:27 PM »
Too funny - I came here today to see if it had dropped low enough to delete it.

Not the first time I vowed to delete a thread (other forums) and somebody had a valid reason for me not to.

So - my tale won't help you much, but just in case ...

My biggest struggle was morale. You can only spend so much time each day trolling, bait casting, and drop lining for work, and then you need to do something to distract yourself. I did not get out of the house often enough, when I have a motorcycle and a beach at my disposal. Try to do better than I did.

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2018, 05:06:10 AM »
Too funny - I came here today to see if it had dropped low enough to delete it.

Not the first time I vowed to delete a thread (other forums) and somebody had a valid reason for me not to.

So - my tale won't help you much, but just in case ...

My biggest struggle was morale. You can only spend so much time each day trolling, bait casting, and drop lining for work, and then you need to do something to distract yourself. I did not get out of the house often enough, when I have a motorcycle and a beach at my disposal. Try to do better than I did.

What did you actually do, specifically, to find new work? 
My few cycle buddies aren't much of a network, and I've got to start laying some groundwork.
Share your knowledge.
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2018, 01:40:10 PM »
Some of this stuff for rehire is obvious but as a reminder:       

1)  Have a resume but refine it down to one page.  For most here, it should be a functional one vs. a chronological resume.  The functional will emphasize your abilities, skill set, education, accomplishments then your work experience.  It'll also cover gaps of employment.

2)  Have a Cover letter that sells your resume explaining your desire for a position, abilities and skills.  This should be shorter than your resume.

3)  Create a Thank You letter for after the interview.  Your last chance to recover from a bad interview and emphasize your best points as an employee.

Those are some quick basics.  Maybe those that "hired" could jump in.  Going to an interview is a different thread.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2018, 03:01:12 PM »
Tom speaks well. My wife has landed a few jobs because she sent a thank you letter.
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2018, 05:06:29 PM »
I re-entered the workforce after being retired.  I sent a thank you card.  It does work.  :thumb:

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2018, 05:20:30 PM »
Having a Thank you letter helps +1

It will jog the interviewer's memory about you...

the reason that I landed my current job was not because I had an awesome interview nor the most awesome resume, but they did remembered me the most as my name keeps on coming back to them.
Life isn't WHAT IS at the end.
It is HOW and WHAT you are doing to get there.

03 Honda Shadow Spirit - The Purple Beast (SOLD)
15 Guzz V7 Stone - The Red Chick (SOLD)
18 BMW R1200GS Rallye - The Blue Streak (SOLD)

Currently Bikeless...*cry*

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2018, 05:39:23 PM »

Things I did - haunted Craigslist, courted headhunters and recruiting agencies. I "networked" but most people I know are retired or not actively networking themselves, or pretty low tech. I made some business cards and gave them to moderately prosperous looking people that I fell into conversation with in beer joints, sushi bars and gas stations. I registered with the state Employment Development Department, a requirement for collecting EDD, and used their job hunting tool. Updated my resume on Monster.

Things I planned to do but did not - court recruiting agencies AGGRESSIVELY. And starting with my geographic location, use google to scout potential outfits close to me and expand my search in an outward spiral, knocking on doors and asking if there was ANY use for a guy who looks good in a suit and makes order out of chaos, and is expecting to work through retirement years but hates commuting. I'll do those things next time.

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2018, 06:21:51 PM »
Replies are amazing, simply amazing.

Let me start w a simple question.  Years ago resumes were all about bullet points, now I hear they want short descriptions, almost essays.  Is that true?

09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2018, 08:19:59 PM »
Replies are amazing, simply amazing.

Let me start w a simple question.  Years ago resumes were all about bullet points, now I hear they want short descriptions, almost essays.  Is that true?

That's one good way.   You need to emphasize the things you've done to help former employers make money, NOT necessarily how good you are at doing specific things.    Depending what sort of work you do, that could be all kinds of different "essays".

Tom said "Functional not chronological" and that's truer today than ever - you don't need to indicate anything that will directly imply your age.   "Age discrimination" is rampant, hard to defend yourself against, and impossible to prove, but it exists everywhere ....

Lannis

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2018, 02:53:38 PM »
That's one good way.   You need to emphasize the things you've done to help former employers make money, NOT necessarily how good you are at doing specific things.    Depending what sort of work you do, that could be all kinds of different "essays".

Tom said "Functional not chronological" and that's truer today than ever - you don't need to indicate anything that will directly imply your age.   "Age discrimination" is rampant, hard to defend yourself against, and impossible to prove, but it exists everywhere ....

Lannis

Lannis,
I hear you on age discrimination.  To add salt to the wound, the younger guys w no kids will work for almost nothing just to get their career started.

It's a dog eat dog world, eh?
Joe
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2018, 03:14:01 PM »
"Arf"

Current counsel says resume what you did this century, not the last.

I sat in on an audit of the HR process this week and when they get flooded with resumes for a position requiring a degree, they get screened by a computer tool and only the ones mentioning a degree go forward for review.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2018, 03:21:06 PM »
Of that pile that goes forward, the ones that are 1 page will make the next step.

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2018, 05:56:36 PM »
"Arf"

Current counsel says resume what you did this century, not the last.

I sat in on an audit of the HR process this week and when they get flooded with resumes for a position requiring a degree, they get screened by a computer tool and only the ones mentioning a degree go forward for review.

Screened by a computer...is this the apocalyptic future we have been warned against?
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2018, 06:17:37 PM »
Lannis,
I hear you on age discrimination.  To add salt to the wound, the younger guys w no kids will work for almost nothing just to get their career started.

It's a dog eat dog world, eh?
Joe

Sort of.   At least you don't have to win a swordfight to get the woman or get ahead in the kingdom ....  :wink:

Lannis

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here