Author Topic: NGC - Mel Brooks was really good  (Read 1930 times)

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
NGC - Mel Brooks was really good
« on: July 15, 2019, 07:13:41 PM »
From 1970 - Almost 50 years ago.  Damn, I'm getting old, and don't care.  it allowed me to live during the time when there was real talent on stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQKw60kGe78

Bob
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 02:36:55 PM by ohiorider »
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

oldbike54

Re: NGC - Mel Brooks was really good
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 08:34:04 PM »
  :thumb:

Dusty

Lcarlson

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 10:09:09 PM »
During the last 17 years that we lived in New York, Mel Brooks was one of our neighbors in a co-op building. We would see him occasionally in the elevator, and he was usually carrying his own groceries. He was invariably casual and friendly, and we never explicitly acknowledged that we knew who he was — New York privacy. We Also saw Ann Bancroft, his wife, in a small local Italian restaurant a few times. We never saw them together.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 10:10:06 PM by Lcarlson »

Offline Bobic69

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 03:32:52 AM »
Young Frankenstein still makes me laugh out loud after all these years.
Bellagio

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 03:32:52 AM »

Offline Rick in WNY

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 07:11:09 AM »
Blazing Saddles.... I'm glad he made it when he did for Hollyweird keeps trying to retroactively ban it as "too controversial."
Guzzi Owner since May 20, 2017
  2004 California Titanium

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 07:15:09 AM »
Blazing Saddles.... I'm glad he made it when he did for Hollyweird keeps trying to retroactively ban it as "too controversial."

"I didn't hear a harumph outta that man. Watch your ass!"
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Offline slowmover

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Locked in the arms of a crazy life
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 08:32:04 AM »
Him and Carl Reiner in the 2000 year old man skits-man I’m old.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2019, 08:40:22 AM »
We could sure use a TV show like Dick Cavett again.  He was entertaining and very informative.  As a teen it gave me an appreciation for critical thinking and looking deeper into facts and logic.  It also gave me an appreciation for irony and humor.   I used to love the rivalries among Norman Mailer, Gore Vidal and William Buckley.  Hendrix, Lennon, Joplin, the Airplane were on.  Great band with Bobby Rosengarten. 

Are we a dumber country now than 50 years ago?
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2019, 09:21:38 AM »
We could sure use a TV show like Dick Cavett again.  He was entertaining and very informative.  As a teen it gave me an appreciation for critical thinking and looking deeper into facts and logic.  It also gave me an appreciation for irony and humor.   I used to love the rivalries among Norman Mailer, Gore Vidal and William Buckley.  Hendrix, Lennon, Joplin, the Airplane were on.  Great band with Bobby Rosengarten. 

Are we a dumber country now than 50 years ago?

Momma always said there was something special about that Dick Cavett fellow.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2019, 12:50:40 PM »

There must be a million DVDs and BluRays out there, how in the world would anyone "ban" it?   :tongue:   :afro:
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2019, 02:09:43 PM »
There must be a million DVDs and BluRays out there, how in the world would anyone "ban" it?   :tongue:   :afro:

I'll defend my Blazing Saddles and Young Fronkensteen DVD's with everything I have. AND DON'T ASK!
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2019, 02:11:52 PM »
Biography did a show with Mel. He fought in "The Bulge" he said he was in trouble with his CO all the time for making people laugh in the foxholes

oldbike54

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2019, 02:23:07 PM »
 Hollywood makes movies every year more controversial than anything Mel ever made , just not as funny .

Dusty

Offline Markcarovilli

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2019, 08:01:43 PM »
True that Dusty

Mark

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero

oldbike54

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2019, 08:43:33 PM »
 Brooks had a way of getting people to think W/O bashing them over the head , a rare gift .

Dusty

pete roper

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2019, 02:27:17 AM »
My favourite is probably ‘The Producers’ the first one with Zero Mostell playing Bialisstock, (Sp?) to Gene Wilder’s Bloom. Whilst not being heavy handed it was so stuffed with Jewish humour and dealt with the Nazis in the best possible way by holding them up to the blowtorch of ridicule!

Brilliant!

Offline sliphorn

• Hatchling
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2019, 07:46:18 AM »
My favourite is probably ‘The Producers’ the first one with Zero Mostell playing Bialisstock, (Sp?) to Gene Wilder’s Bloom. Whilst not being heavy handed it was so stuffed with Jewish humour and dealt with the Nazis in the best possible way by holding them up to the blowtorch of ridicule!

Brilliant!
---------

When Mel adapted The Producers to the stage I was in the orchestra for the entire pre-Broadway shake down run of the show. This was in Chicago. It's a common thing to trial run, make changes, etcetera before taking the final adaptation to Broadway. I spent plenty of time with him listening to his stories and overall madness. What a talent!! In the evenings after a long day, he and Anne would go to local jazz clubs and piano bars and Mel would sing tunes all night long. He is very musical and knows tons of great old American standards. He wrote the music/lyrics for The Producers and they were arranged by top notch arrangers/orchestrators for the show.

My favorite story was when he was on the front lines fighting the Germans in WWII and he was a member of the radio corps. His job was to broadcast propaganda over loudspeakers but it never (of course) worked. So Mel being Mel decided to play Al Jolson records. And it worked! He said the Germans would stop firing at them for 20-30 minutes at a time because they were listening to Al Jolson sing! Hilarious, and even more so when you consider that both Mel and Al are Jewish. Oh man, the best!!! He always said the best way to get back at the Nazis was to make fun of them. Nobody did that better than the great Mel Brooks.

======

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2019, 05:59:23 AM »
---------

My favorite story was when he was on the front lines fighting the Germans in WWII and he was a member of the radio corps. His job was to broadcast propaganda over loudspeakers but it never (of course) worked. So Mel being Mel decided to play Al Jolson records. And it worked! He said the Germans would stop firing at them for 20-30 minutes at a time because they were listening to Al Jolson sing! Hilarious, and even more so when you consider that both Mel and Al are Jewish. Oh man, the best!!! He always said the best way to get back at the Nazis was to make fun of them. Nobody did that better than the great Mel Brooks.

======

Mel Brooks was an amazing talent.  A keen eye and mind for irony and humor.

But MacArthur et al had the better strategy for dealing w the Nazis. 

If the leaders on both sides would listen to the music and stop fighting, it would have been better for everyone.  But it never works that way.

Joe
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline cloudbase

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2019, 06:58:08 AM »
Who else could come up with the idea of a Native American who could speak Yiddish?

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here